Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

So what becomes of transfer portal players that don't get picked up?

WXAPP
School: Appalachian State

So what becomes of transfer portal players that don't get picked up?

Unread post by WXAPP » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:46 pm

So, what becomes of these young men who go into the transfer portal, lose their current FB scholarship when they do, and don't get picked up by another school? No scholarship & no degree in hand. Future ESPN "What could have been and what's become?".

I know there are any number of reasons they enter. But, the ones with misguided advice from family, friends, an unscrupulous agent or just plain ego. What of these kids?

Not just App but across all of college football.
Twitter: @wxcrum

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Re: So what becomes of transfer portal players that don't get picked up?

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:49 pm

WXAPP wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:46 pm
So, what becomes of these young men who go into the transfer portal, lose their current FB scholarship when they do, and don't get picked up by another school? No scholarship & no degree in hand. Future ESPN "What could have been and what's become?".
The only thing I can think of is move to a lower level (FCS or D2) and hope for some kinda of scholly to come out of it. But even then FCS (63) or D2 (36) get split to help more players.
Last edited by Appmountaineers19 on Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:52 pm

Potentially SOL
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:11 pm

It is a real problem, kids leave hoping for greener pastures and many find wasteland. They leave an opportunity for an education on a hope and prayer and have nothing to show for it.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:35 pm

I may be wrong but I don't believe the player gets withdrawn academically from school even if they enter the portal. So, in that sense I guess they would just become a regular student if they never transferred anywhere athletically.

AppNC

Unread post by AppNC » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:39 pm

Sad, sad reality of the portal. Coming away with a free college education, even though you may not have gotten as much playing time as you thought you deserved, is highly underrated. I think too many are there for the potential to play in the league as compared to furthering their education and coming away with a college degree.

AppNC

Unread post by AppNC » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:40 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:35 pm
I may be wrong but I don't believe the player gets withdrawn academically from school even if they enter the portal. So, in that sense I guess they would just become a regular student if they never transferred anywhere athletically.
I think that is true. However, they become responsible for their tuition, fees, housing, food etc.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:48 pm

Good article

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -explained

"There isn't a scholarship available for everyone in the portal. In the 2021-22 cycle, only 61% of FBS players who entered the portal either found a new team or withdrew their name and stayed with their school. The other 39% did not find a scholarship position at an FBS school (although other variables, such as transferring to an FCS school or dropping out of the sport, factor into that)."

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:07 pm

Some who enter the portal are finishing a degree and ready to leave the school. Some may not have even considered college if they weren't an athlete. Whatever their reason, it's their decision made on their own or with advice from someone they consider important to them. I'm not going to lose sleep over someone who makes the decision to transfer without any guarantees. They are all young men and will, hopefully, learn from their decision, whether good or bad.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:14 pm

IMO, the “right” answer is to pick a school with a positive football culture out of high school that will give you a full ride and don’t look back after you sign the dotted line. Bust your butt in the classroom, off the field and you will see playing time at some point. Don’t get discouraged, focus on finding your role on the team and get a useful degree in four years. Then, and only then, consider a grad transfer for your final year of eligibility if you can find a school that will take you and offers a grad degree you want to pursue. Never pick a school based on a scheme or coach because those will likely change while you are there. Remember, your life after football is bigger than the time you have to play the game you love.
Last edited by Appstate88 on Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:56 pm

appdaze wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:48 pm
Good article

"There isn't a scholarship available for everyone in the portal. In the 2021-22 cycle, only 61% of FBS players who entered the portal either found a new team or withdrew their name and stayed with their school. The other 39% did not find a scholarship position at an FBS school (although other variables, such as transferring to an FCS school or dropping out of the sport, factor into that)."
Very good! I think this is the new reality. Many outside of schools and the players wanted this. I'm at the point where I really don't care if the coaches tell them they need to go or they just decide to. Coaches can give them advice but they don't always listen anyway. There are a lot of players being told to leave and I just don't think it is fair for us to expect coaches to live with their offer for 4 years but a kid can just decide to leave within a year and it is not looked down on. Players have always been able to de-commit without his reputation being hurt but the school pulls the offer on a commit and it looks bad. This was being discussed on 247 as well and whether you like it or not it is the new normal.

We have folks who don't want Shawn telling a player he needs to go elsewhere to play but also demand he win the league title next year. You can't expect him to keep dead weight when he could go find quality players that can help the team. I know this sounds like pro football by cutting players but when players started getting paid that is exactly what we have.

By the way, talk to coaches and you will hear some crazy stories. With all the extra crap and stress coaches are dealing with from the portal and NIL, I think cutting players is fair. They can stay as a normal student and get a degree or transfer elsewhere. This is the new normal and you will see it continue to look more like pro football as we go.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:03 pm

appdaze wrote:
Good article

To put that into # of players - from aug 2021 to july 2022 - 2539 went in the portal of that 1015 players DIDN't get a scholly.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:23 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:03 pm
appdaze wrote:
Good article

To put that into # of players - from aug 2021 to july 2022 - 2539 went in the portal of that 1015 players DIDN't get a scholly.
What will be interesting to see is the numbers once super seniors are done. Will we see even more FCS players move up or what? Will the small school level essentially be considered developmental and we rarely see a small school player drafted because they all move up to P5 or G5? How many players will not get a scholly? Stuff like that will be intriguing to see as this develops.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:28 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:56 pm
appdaze wrote:
Good article

Very good! I think this is the new reality. Many outside of schools and the players wanted this. I'm at the point where I really don't care if the coaches tell them they need to go or they just decide to. Coaches can give them advice but they don't always listen anyway. There are a lot of players being told to leave and I just don't think it is fair for us to expect coaches to live with their offer for 4 years but a kid can just decide to leave within a year and it is not looked down on. Players have always been able to de-commit without his reputation being hurt but the school pulls the offer on a commit and it looks bad. This was being discussed on 247 as well and whether you like it or not it is the new normal.

We have folks who don't want Shawn telling a player he needs to go elsewhere to play but also demand he win the league title next year. You can't expect him to keep dead weight when he could go find quality players that can help the team. I know this sounds like pro football by cutting players but when players started getting paid that is exactly what we have.

By the way, talk to coaches and you will hear some crazy stories. With all the extra crap and stress coaches are dealing with from the portal and NIL, I think cutting players is fair. They can stay as a normal student and get a degree or transfer elsewhere. This is the new normal and you will see it continue to look more like pro football as we go.
So much for the "world class education" we promised them. I'm absolutely opposed to "cutting players" if they have done everything asked of them but become a starter or star or are even "dead weight." Got no problem if the coach lays out for the player his future with the program and then the kid decides he wants to leave. But, it should be the kid's choice. Obviously, for folks who aren't going to class and are not doing what's asked of them, the situation is different.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:40 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:28 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Good article

So much for the "world class education" we promised them. I'm absolutely opposed to "cutting players" if they have done everything asked of them but become a starter or star or are even "dead weight." Got no problem if the coach lays out for the player his future with the program and then the kid decides he wants to leave. But, it should be the kid's choice. Obviously, for folks who aren't going to class and are not doing what's asked of them, the situation is different.
I would prefer it be that way as well but we are not going down a path that makes this ideal a reality anymore. Coaches have ways to turnover roster quicker now and the pressure is on more than ever. You can't hold a coaching staff hostage on a miss but allow a player they hit big on to just leave freely for what they think is better. Prior to this everyone brought up the point that if a coach can go elsewhere without penalty then a player should. It works both ways now. I don't think our staff is cutting players explicitly but many already are doing so. This is only going to get more and more like pro football. Sad to say but it is true.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:48 pm

hapapp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Good article

Do we know who was considered “dead weight” and who left on their own accord after understanding the situation? Keep in mind, some of these that were advised to leave had eligibility left but got their degrees.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:00 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:48 pm
hapapp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Good article

Do we know who was considered “dead weight” and who left on their own accord after understanding the situation? Keep in mind, some of these that were advised to leave had eligibility left but got their degrees.
That is a good question. I wonder how many total spots we have to give now? How many are returning as walk-ons? I am hoping we sign at least 25 from HS and JUCO, plus portal players. Is it about right that we have 30 spots to give right now?
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:06 pm

I know of one that is finishing his degree and was asked to stay but wanted to move on. I know of one that was told his scholarship wouldn’t be renewed but he has a degree.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:15 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:03 pm
appdaze wrote:
Good article

And of those 1,015 if they had stayed, worked hard, gone to class and done what was asked in practice how many would have still had a scholly? Close to if not 1,015?

The sad part about it is that probably a great majority of the kids hitting the portal aren't that good to begin with or they would have played more. Obviously some drop down a level so to speak and some do latch on with another team and actually play. I'd be curious to see a real number- minutes played by all of the portal guys the year they transferred and the minutes played by the same bunch the next season. Of course if 39% don't end up somewhere those minutes are zero.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:16 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:06 pm
I know of one that is finishing his degree and was asked to stay but wanted to move on. I know of one that was told his scholarship wouldn’t be renewed but he has a degree.
So many different reasons as to why I'm sure as well. I was hoping most would so we could sign more. There are more and more stories of players being overlooked in high school right now due to all of these COVID seniors. Hopefully the staff gets this class correct and we can add some immediate impact players. One great thing about the portal is that we can get plenty of help and see a big turnaround. Sumrall showed us that a one-year turnaround is not too much to expect. We could easily go from 6-6 to 9-3 if the staff hits on these moves due to the fact our schedule is easier.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”