Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

So what becomes of transfer portal players that don't get picked up?

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: So what becomes of transfer portal players that don't get picked up?

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:34 am

On average for an 85 man roster (in a given season) how many players never really get off the bench? Factor in the 3rd and 4th, 5th string QB's, backup kickers, etc. Are those guys "dead weight?" Every team has backup linemen who aren't on special teams. You might get those cupcake blowouts and the coach clears the bench but even then you can't get a feel for how bad a guy might be. I would think that if a kid is recruited, goes to class, works hard in practice and stays out of trouble he won't get cut as "dead weight ".

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:40 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:34 am
On average for an 85 man roster (in a given season) how many players never really get off the bench? Factor in the 3rd and 4th, 5th string QB's, backup kickers, etc. Are those guys "dead weight?" Every team has backup linemen who aren't on special teams. You might get those cupcake blowouts and the coach clears the bench but even then you can't get a feel for how bad a guy might be. I would think that if a kid is recruited, goes to class, works hard in practice and stays out of trouble he won't get cut as "dead weight ".
BDG nails it. Those back up players are critical to the team and are the unsung hero's that practice hard against the 1's and 2's and continue to challenge for position and make us better without seeing the bright lights of play time on Saturdays. The guy on the headset all game talking to the QB1 is likely the most valuable position we've got. No way they get cut.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:48 am

mike87 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:40 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
BDG nails it. Those back up players are critical to the team and are the unsung hero's that practice hard against the 1's and 2's and continue to challenge for position and make us better without seeing the bright lights of play time on Saturdays. The guy on the headset all game talking to the QB1 is likely the most valuable position we've got. No way they get cut.
Ultimately I think the "dead weight " guys are lazy, bad locker room players or are a headache for the staff. Some good players can fall under that category. If we are honest our roster always has a number of players who really aren't good enough to play but can contribute in many ways.

I heard an interesting analogy to the Portal yesterday. A guy said it's like musical chairs. There are more participants than chairs and at some point the music stops playing.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:33 am

hapapp wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:18 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:04 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:23 pm
I know they are year by year. I also know that every coach on the recruiting trial promises the kid and family that as long as he does what is required he will have the opportunity to graduate. No coach tells the recruit that if they don't live up to the athletic bar that is set for them that they will be let go, it doesn't happen. No kids would commit to that. Funny think is that it happens with academic scholarships, if your gpa falls, the scholarship goes away. That is known from the start. It the coaches told the kids that they would lose their scholarship if they can't crack the two deep by year 3, I would have no issue in pulling it. Since they aren't that transparent, they need to live with their promises of an education.
I get what you are saying and in a perfect world I agree but let me ask the same question that use to be asked players could not make a dime or transfer. Do you find it fair that a coach should be forced to uphold a scholarship offer for four years when a player does not have to take that scholarship for four years? If players can transfer freely should coaches not be allowed to correct a mistake that they make? If players can de-commit just before signing day, get paid, transfer freely, and quit on their team late in the year just to play in the Senior Bowl and prep for the draft should a coach not be allowed to withdrew an offer to a commit or decide after two years to move on from that player?

We can't expect to hold Shawn to a high standard of 10+ wins every year if we keep a lot of dead weight around. Players are given a lot to go to practice, play games, and contribute to the team. I won't get mad if there are 2-3 players that just aren't contributing and you need those slots to upgrade the roster because of the way the landscape has changed. Now, I think the fair thing to do is help place them at FCS schools where they can play and not just forget them but players have to contribute. They are getting too much and expectations are too high to allow 25 players to just sit and waste a scholarship that could go to a good player in the portal or highly regarded high school prospect.
Would you stop referring to players who may be doing all that is asked of them but become starters as dead weight. Some folks act like these young folks are chess pieces.
I don’t like it but the loyalty and culture around college athletics is changing. It is becoming more and more like pros. We have to face the fact that this is now a business. Sometimes you have to trim the fat. Players have NIL agents, NIL is not what was intended but now literally pay for play, and the portal has removed all loyalty because now players can freely go without any regulations.

I’m glad our staff isn’t just pushing players out in a mean way but everyone needs to realize that coaches everywhere are having difficult conversations with players. You don’t like my wording but we have to accept this reality. Scholarships are one year at a time and not multi-year contracts. You can’t expect to force our coaches to keep a mistake offer for four years when a player doesn’t have to remain with a school he felt was a mistake for him when he committed.

I would also say that we are lucky our coaches are class acts. People would be surprised at the dirty laundry on players that coaches are not airing out for the public to see. We have good people in our locker room overall but every program, including ours, has some headaches and problems that need to go. There are players using injury as a cover to sit out and abandon their team, players causing major issues in the locker rooms, players giving their current coaches the ultimatum to get them more money or they will enter the portal, NIL agents cutting dirty deals, and more that coaches just aren’t exposing around college football.

If we had a player who abandoned our team while healthy and left before the season was over how would you feel about that player? Would you still stand up for them knowing that player was in the wrong? That stuff is happening but you don’t hear college coaches telling that all the time. Honestly, with all the mess coaches are dealing with today I’m not going to complain if coaches decide to tell a player he has to hit the portal. They are dealing with a lot of crap that they should not have to. We can say “well they are paid big money to do this and they chose this” because all of our coaches were in this profession before all this happened and it’s not as easy to just change professions as some think for most people.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:58 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:48 am
mike87 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Ultimately I think the "dead weight " guys are lazy, bad locker room players or are a headache for the staff. Some good players can fall under that category. If we are honest our roster always has a number of players who really aren't good enough to play but can contribute in many ways.

I heard an interesting analogy to the Portal yesterday. A guy said it's like musical chairs. There are more participants than chairs and at some point the music stops playing.
Ha, I read your comment as the opposite. There could be some guys that just don't cut it but I think the difference between the 1's and 2's and the practice squad guys is pretty insignificant. Definitely don't see them as dead weight. When I was there, I was dead weight. Those guys all could've kicked my ass.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:57 pm

mike87 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:58 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
mike87 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

Ha, I read your comment as the opposite. There could be some guys that just don't cut it but I think the difference between the 1's and 2's and the practice squad guys is pretty insignificant. Definitely don't see them as dead weight. When I was there, I was dead weight. Those guys all could've kicked my ass.
To me dead weight are guys not doing everything asked or players who have been there more than 3 years and shown no signs of development or a complete bust that wouldn’t be a starter at a solid FCS program. I’m thinking of maybe 2 players per class. If it is worse than that then the coaches won’t be around long because they just can’t evaluate or do background to know character of the players they sign.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:38 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:57 pm
mike87 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
mike87 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

To me dead weight are guys not doing everything asked or players who have been there more than 3 years and shown no signs of development or a complete bust that wouldn’t be a starter at a solid FCS program. I’m thinking of maybe 2 players per class. If it is worse than that then the coaches won’t be around long because they just can’t evaluate or do background to know character of the players they sign.
Oh, like unicorns. I see.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:52 am

Former five-star recruit leaves UNC, enters transfer portal

Wonder if we are in touch with this guy, highly rated talent but didn' contribute for the Holes. We could sure use some help on D.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... b2443f14c9

https://247sports.com/Player/Keeshawn-Silver-46057590/
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:00 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:52 am

Wonder if we are in touch with this guy, highly rated talent but didn' contribute for the Holes. We could sure use some help on D.

A five star that couldn’t crack the lineup in three years? I would love to know why.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:14 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:00 am
Black Saturday wrote:

A five star that couldn’t crack the lineup in three years? I would love to know why.
UNC has had plenty of 5* that haven't developed. That's on coaching at this point. State messaged boards are saying he really wanted to go to State but Mack and UNC was the trendy commit 3 years ago with all the Jordan brand crap...and paperless classes. But, that could just be a rival talking.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:31 am

311neers wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:14 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:00 am
Black Saturday wrote:

UNC has had plenty of 5* that haven't developed. That's on coaching at this point. State messaged boards are saying he really wanted to go to State but Mack and UNC was the trendy commit 3 years ago with all the Jordan brand crap...and paperless classes. But, that could just be a rival talking.
Some of that lack of playing time falls on the player as well. Does he work hard enough to earn more playing time? Has he developed bad habits that can be unlearned? I don’t know the answers to these questions but these are questions that you have to ask before making an investment in a scholarship. Five Stars aren’t supposed to need development, according to the 24/7 website. These guys are can’t miss that can start their first year. So why hasn’t he played much in three years? I see Red Flags that need to be addressed.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:42 am

We don't get a chance with 4 and 5 star talent out of high school, since he's an in state player and knows of our program, it wouldn't hurt to have a conversation with him by whoever for us that can get a feel and evaluate the situatuion, imo, considering our needs. 6'4'' 315lbs at times in the middle would help.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:49 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:42 am
We don't get a chance with 4 and 5 star talent out of high school, since he's an in state player and knows of our program, it wouldn't hurt to have a conversation with him by whoever for us that can get a feel and evaluate the situatuion, imo, considering our needs. 6'4'' 315lbs at times in the middle would help.
No harm in kicking the tires.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:57 am

If you could simply take the total number of D1 football players and break them down according to real talent, ability and those who are simply average (not necessarily bad) college football players who just enjoy playing and appreciate the regular perks such as a free education I wonder how it would shake out. Take the 131 schools times 85 players. Are 1% or about 112 legit pro prospects who can really make a case for some pay? Even out of that number only a percentage will make an NFL team. After the 1% how many are borderline? Break it on down to what might be considered "dead weight" or the end of the bench guys. I'd guess that you could interchange that last group with the top FCS guys and see no difference. For a typical 85 man roster how many players are pretty much scout team or down the depth chart QB's or kickers who might never actually play but are needed just in case?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:07 am

I think that it is important to define dead weight. Your roster has guys with varying levels of athletic ability and promise. But you also have guys that fall into two buckets. Can’t get better, i.e. they have reached their ceiling. Some will work hard but will either be backups or ST players for their career. Every program needs those types of kids. The other bucket is for guys that Won’t get better. They don’t have the drive, both on and/or off, the field to get better. Those are the dead weight guys.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:51 am

t4pizza wrote:
I know they are year by year. I also know that every coach on the recruiting trial promises the kid and family that as long as he does what is required he will have the opportunity to graduate. No coach tells the recruit that if they don't live up to the athletic bar that is set for them that they will be let go, it doesn't happen. No kids would commit to that. Funny think is that it happens with academic scholarships, if your gpa falls, the scholarship goes away. That is known from the start. It the coaches told the kids that they would lose their scholarship if they can't crack the two deep by year 3, I would have no issue in pulling it. Since they aren't that transparent, they need to live with their promises of an education.
but the kid does not have to live up to his?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:33 pm

mike87 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:38 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
mike87 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
mike87 wrote:

I am saying it’s a small number they cut. Scholarships are only one year at a time. I won’t fault coaches for this when players can back out of the scholarship and transfer freely. Before they couldn’t and I felt you have to keep players but that is no longer the case.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:57 pm

Maybe he was a 5 star in high school but it didn’t translate to college. The ones that evaluate and award the stars always miss on a bunch of them. Or maybe the player slipped - college is a different life with a lot of stuff that can catch your interest. Some players get sidelined.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:12 pm

bcoach wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:51 am
t4pizza wrote:
but the kid does not have to live up to his?

Sure he does, he needs to go to class, go to study hall, go to lifting, go to practice, do all that is asked of him/her with the right attitude and be a team player. That is what we ask of our players. If the player does all we ask, I don't think it is ever proper to pull a scholarship because the wished for development didn't occur. No coach ever says, if you don't develop then you are gone. They say, 'if you do what we ask and keep your grades up you will have the opportunity to graduate while being on scholarship'. It is just my personal opinion, clearly many disagree.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:14 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:33 pm
mike87 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:38 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
mike87 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

I am saying it’s a small number they cut. Scholarships are only one year at a time. I won’t fault coaches for this when players can back out of the scholarship and transfer freely. Before they couldn’t and I felt you have to keep players but that is no longer the case.
Players could always back out and transfer out, they only had to sit if they stayed in the same division and didn't get a wavier. They could also transfer freely if they went down a division. In most of our players cases, they are finding homes (if any) in FCS so that avenue was always available without having to sit out a year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”