Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

So what becomes of transfer portal players that don't get picked up?

Yosef84

Re: So what becomes of transfer portal players that don't get picked up?

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:16 pm

I don't think SC is the type of coach who gets ruthless. He embodies the App mentality which embraces hard work and opportunity. I hope he is able to get what we need from this recruiting class (HS, JC and portal). The environment he's working with is uncharted territory. Everyone's trying to figure this out. Some have hit the jackpot and taken leaps and others just flounder.

I haven't posted much but here are some thoughts that kind of spill over into other threads as well:

This year was painful and there are a lot of reasons being discussed. Unfortunately, after thinking about it, I almost think this type of year is almost inevitable and it's amazing we avoided it as long as we have. As I understand the "App Culture", the brotherhood in that locker room is largely bound together by a common attitude and experience. That attitude is born from the common experience our players have in that they were largely overlooked by the big boys and it puts a chip on their shoulder. That chip is hard to maintain after years of success and domination. The portal brings in a new type of player who doesn't always share that experience and I think that creates a challenge. The only good that comes out of a season like this one is that it puts that chip right back on every players shoulder. It motivates the coaches to make difficult decisions and hopefully, it will result in a resurgence of the black & gold. I hope SC finds the talent he needs in both coaches and players. I hope the attitude is back and 2023 Apps are hungry and have something to prove.

2023 needs to prove that 2022 was the anomaly and not the new reality. I think that is what we are going to see. Yes....the eternal optimist.

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:19 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:14 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:33 pm
mike87 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:38 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:57 pm
mike87 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:58 am

Ha, I read your comment as the opposite. There could be some guys that just don't cut it but I think the difference between the 1's and 2's and the practice squad guys is pretty insignificant. Definitely don't see them as dead weight. When I was there, I was dead weight. Those guys all could've kicked my ass.
To me dead weight are guys not doing everything asked or players who have been there more than 3 years and shown no signs of development or a complete bust that wouldn’t be a starter at a solid FCS program. I’m thinking of maybe 2 players per class. If it is worse than that then the coaches won’t be around long because they just can’t evaluate or do background to know character of the players they sign.
Oh, like unicorns. I see.
I am saying it’s a small number they cut. Scholarships are only one year at a time. I won’t fault coaches for this when players can back out of the scholarship and transfer freely. Before they couldn’t and I felt you have to keep players but that is no longer the case.
Players could always back out and transfer out, they only had to sit if they stayed in the same division and didn't get a wavier. They could also transfer freely if they went down a division. In most of our players cases, they are finding homes (if any) in FCS so that avenue was always available without having to sit out a year.
That use to be the case but now they can transfer anywhere, including within a conference. If they have complete freedom with their choices then the coaches should as well, which they do pretty much.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:27 pm

I get that there is much easier path for players to leave and they have unlimited options, I just don't think it changes our responsibility toward them with regard to forcing anyone out.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:15 pm

One thing to keep in mind with portal decisions, contracts, scholarships, etc.... These aren't children. I've always found it hypocritical when our society refers to college attendees as kids but other 18-22 year olds are being handed a gun, told they are men, and are sent off to die for us. Either 18 is an adult or it isn't. These young men are making adult decisions with their adult lives with this portal business. Either treat them like the adults they are or move the age of adulthood in America to 23.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:02 pm

I get your point about being adults but there is a huge difference in the mentality of someone that goes to work right our of high school (whether in the military or some trade or just a job) and a someone that goes off to college for the next 4 years or so. Just look at those two people at 22 and tell me who is more mature and savvy in the ways of the real world. It really is a large difference. But your point is well made, these are adults and perhaps we should not try to protect them from themselves. I get that. My issue has more to do with the school honoring their commitment to the players than protecting the players form themselves because the player is free to do whatever they choose and I think that is where some people feel the school should be just as free.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:23 pm

appdaze wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:15 pm
One thing to keep in mind with portal decisions, contracts, scholarships, etc.... These aren't children. I've always found it hypocritical when our society refers to college attendees as kids but other 18-22 year olds are being handed a gun, told they are men, and are sent off to die for us. Either 18 is an adult or it isn't. These young men are making adult decisions with their adult lives with this portal business. Either treat them like the adults they are or move the age of adulthood in America to 23.
Absolutely!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:25 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:02 pm
I get your point about being adults but there is a huge difference in the mentality of someone that goes to work right our of high school (whether in the military or some trade or just a job) and a someone that goes off to college for the next 4 years or so. Just look at those two people at 22 and tell me who is more mature and savvy in the ways of the real world. It really is a large difference. But your point is well made, these are adults and perhaps we should not try to protect them from themselves. I get that. My issue has more to do with the school honoring their commitment to the players than protecting the players form themselves because the player is free to do whatever they choose and I think that is where some people feel the school should be just as free.
Honest question. Commitment should be a one way street?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:41 pm

bcoach wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:25 pm
t4pizza wrote:
If a player has been committed to what he was asked to do, then the coach should live up to his commitment when he recruited the kid. I don't think anyone is defending someone that has not done what was asked of them. But, I'm opposed to the idea that the player that has been recruited over and finds himself far down on the depth chart is jettisoned.

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:51 pm

hapapp wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:41 pm
bcoach wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
If a player has been committed to what he was asked to do, then the coach should live up to his commitment when he recruited the kid. I don't think anyone is defending someone that has not done what was asked of them. But, I'm opposed to the idea that the player that has been recruited over and finds himself far down on the depth chart is jettisoned.
I agree with what your saying but its rarely this black and white. A lot of times the coach and player are gonna have different viewpoints on if the player has been committed to what he was asked to do.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:57 pm

postalapp90 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:51 pm
hapapp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
I agree with what your saying but its rarely this black and white. A lot of times the coach and player are gonna have different viewpoints on if the player has been committed to what he was asked to do.
Well, its certainly in the coach's interest to believe the player hasn't been committed. So, clearly from the coach's viewpoint it is black and white. And, since he's in the position of power, his view is what likely prevails.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:00 pm

I would hope the conversation between coach and player would be candid and positive with an assurance from the coach that every effort will be made to help them find a landing spot. And that conversation should happen sooner rather later if it has been decided the player is not working out. Academics should be considered since it is difficult for upperclass students to transfer and receive a degree from the new school. I have to believe that’s whats been the problem with upper class student athletes transferring without all their credits. Most, if not all, schools require a minimum number of hours be completed at that school to receive a degree from that school. This is one of many things that head coaches are responsible for that we fans don’t always think about. It ain’t all about Xs and Os.
WE ARE YOSEF!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:41 am

hapapp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
But if the coach does everything he said he would do, the player can walk out the door? They make the investment in time, money, equipment, tutors, and on and on, then the guy says see ya. It just seems like a one way street to me. I don't like the idea of just pulling scholarships but it sure wasn't the athletic departments or coaches who wanted this portal nonsense.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:05 am

bcoach wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:41 am
hapapp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
But if the coach does everything he said he would do, the player can walk out the door? They make the investment in time, money, equipment, tutors, and on and on, then the guy says see ya. It just seems like a one way street to me. I don't like the idea of just pulling scholarships but it sure wasn't the athletic departments or coaches who wanted this portal nonsense.
Exactly. If the coaches do everything they promised the player can still transfer freely. That’s where my issue is that people want to keep protecting the players from themselves because this new system is set to give them freedom. We can either protect them from themselves or give them complete freedom and some players went to Supreme Court to get more freedom. The coaches didn’t ask for this so I don’t feel they should be punished. I don’t believe in just cutting half your roster but if you have a few holding you back talent wise then do it. I do believe the staff should help find schools to fit, recommend the player, etc but the players have gotten what they wanted and this is one of the trade offs. You can’t look down on coaches wanting to upgrade talent. Society says they are adults and these adults wanted more freedoms so they got it.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:34 am

bcoach wrote:
hapapp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
And players can do all they are asked and the coach can leave when a better deal comes along.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:09 am

hapapp wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:34 am
bcoach wrote:
hapapp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
And players can do all they are asked and the coach can leave when a better deal comes along.
Yep, the whole system is screwed up. Buyouts..... well there should be no buyouts, but they should be a minimum of $500 million.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:20 am

t4pizza wrote:
The difference is one had the privilege of attending a college either due to their socioeconomic background or their innate intellectual abilities. Maturity isn't a part of this. There are plenty of immature people who never go to college and plenty that do. It isn't a mentality difference. Please stop making excuses for college adults to do stupid things. If the adults who did not go to college are more real world savvy at 22 then the college the other adults went to completely, 100%, failed them. The ones that go to college should be savvier, more knowledgeable, and more mature, if not the college failed them.

These are adults making adult decisions.

Here is the thing about all of this. This is the free market economy. This is how the rest of our economy works. This is all about economic decisions. Each student and coach is an economic decision for the athletic department. Even before the portal this was the case. Until they turn scholarships into more concrete contracts like the rest of the labor force uses then things will continue to be free flowing. In the not so distant future I see universities having players sign labor contracts like the professional athletes that they are. A player will go to UNC on a two year contract that pays 1 mil in NIL money. Contracts will be negotiated. Everyone needs to drop the delusion that college athletics were amateur sports. They haven't been for decades. Millions flowed under the table and authorities just overlooked them unless someone got caught and they were forced to "enforce" their flimsy bylaws.

The system as a whole will adjust. I'm glad players can now get paid for putting their bodies and their physical futures on the line for fans entertainment. I still refer back to that south park clip when people want to pretend that student athletes were anything but an underpaid and abused labor force that should have been busted up decades ago but the wealth the universities were pulling in made sure the amateur image was sold to the public so they could pretend they were benevolent and not capitalistic sharks. So bring on the NIL. Get these adults money for the physical sacrifices they are making purely for our entertainment.

The next step will be a collegiate athlete players union to negotiate contracts with the conferences where athletes will get a cut of TV contracts and other programs to aid them.

Hold on to your undies ladies and gentlemen. This ride is just getting started.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:30 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:20 am
t4pizza wrote:
The difference is one had the privilege of attending a college either due to their socioeconomic background or their innate intellectual abilities. Maturity isn't a part of this. There are plenty of immature people who never go to college and plenty that do. It isn't a mentality difference. Please stop making excuses for college adults to do stupid things. If the adults who did not go to college are more real world savvy at 22 then the college the other adults went to completely, 100%, failed them. The ones that go to college should be savvier, more knowledgeable, and more mature, if not the college failed them.

These are adults making adult decisions.

Here is the thing about all of this. This is the free market economy. This is how the rest of our economy works. This is all about economic decisions. Each student and coach is an economic decision for the athletic department. Even before the portal this was the case. Until they turn scholarships into more concrete contracts like the rest of the labor force uses then things will continue to be free flowing. In the not so distant future I see universities having players sign labor contracts like the professional athletes that they are. A player will go to UNC on a two year contract that pays 1 mil in NIL money. Contracts will be negotiated. Everyone needs to drop the delusion that college athletics were amateur sports. They haven't been for decades. Millions flowed under the table and authorities just overlooked them unless someone got caught and they were forced to "enforce" their flimsy bylaws.

The system as a whole will adjust. I'm glad players can now get paid for putting their bodies and their physical futures on the line for fans entertainment. I still refer back to that south park clip when people want to pretend that student athletes were anything but an underpaid and abused labor force that should have been busted up decades ago but the wealth the universities were pulling in made sure the amateur image was sold to the public so they could pretend they were benevolent and not capitalistic sharks. So bring on the NIL. Get these adults money for the physical sacrifices they are making purely for our entertainment.

The next step will be a collegiate athlete players union to negotiate contracts with the conferences where athletes will get a cut of TV contracts and other programs to aid them.

Hold on to your undies ladies and gentlemen. This ride is just getting started.
No need for me to hold on as I will have jumped off by then.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:07 pm

^this

One of the big reasons I have so little interest in the NFL anymore.
Nothing excites working people like hearing billionaires argue with multimillionaires about who gets what.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:33 pm

College players may be sacrificing their bodies for the entertainment of adults , but they don’t have to do so. It is their choice. They could go back to being regular students - but they’d have to go to class.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:16 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:07 pm
^this

One of the big reasons I have so little interest in the NFL anymore.
Nothing excites working people like hearing billionaires argue with multimillionaires about who gets what.
Have not watched an nfl game in a few years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”