Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Players Transferring AWAY

311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: Players Transferring AWAY

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:10 am

goapps93 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:59 am
spacemonkey wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:52 am
You can't blame Drake...If I had a way to get away from having to hang with that chapel hill crowd I would take it in a heart beat.
Maye is one of the Chapel Hill crowd. Who is stirring the pot with rumors that he is considering a transfer? 247Sports? His comments Saturday, for what they're worth, indicate he is happy to stay at UNC.

On a slightly different note, when can players be contacted? I know it's been asked before. Does a player have to be in the portal in order to be contacted? I know there is plenty of unofficial contact but what is the rule for official contact?
I think that was December 5th for legal official contact. We've got about 30ish offers out to kids in the portal since Monday Dec. 5th. And probably another 20 to JuCO kids the past couple of weeks.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:37 am

311neers wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:10 am
goapps93 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:59 am
spacemonkey wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:52 am
You can't blame Drake...If I had a way to get away from having to hang with that chapel hill crowd I would take it in a heart beat.
Maye is one of the Chapel Hill crowd. Who is stirring the pot with rumors that he is considering a transfer? 247Sports? His comments Saturday, for what they're worth, indicate he is happy to stay at UNC.

On a slightly different note, when can players be contacted? I know it's been asked before. Does a player have to be in the portal in order to be contacted? I know there is plenty of unofficial contact but what is the rule for official contact?
I think that was December 5th for legal official contact. We've got about 30ish offers out to kids in the portal since Monday Dec. 5th. And probably another 20 to JuCO kids the past couple of weeks.
Technically they need to be in the TP but you know what happens...

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:42 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:48 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:04 pm
There should be a hard and fast rule that says if anyone enters his name in the portal he's gone. This isn't like basketball where stud players can "test the waters " of the NBA and return. Heard some guy's talking about it on the radio. Let's say a Maye puts his name out there to see how much NIL he could get from a bigger program but doesn't get what he thinks he deserves then says "I'll just stay here". Programs can't be held hostage by players. It's really getting jacked up
Such a rule essentially exist. Once you enter the portal, you are no longer bound to your transferring school and they to you. The team is under no obligation to hold a spot for you.
It is only fair to have consequences for a decision to enter portal. The school has made a commitment to the student. If the student decides to “possibly” leave then they should think long and hard about what they may be giving up before they finalize that decision. They are free to go BUT you better realize that you are also forfeiting the remainder of your scholarship at current school. The stakes should be high to deter this from being a cavalier decision. I am fine with that being the way it works.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:53 pm

“A bird in the hand is worth…..”

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:56 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:42 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
There should be a hard and fast rule that says if anyone enters his name in the portal he's gone. This isn't like basketball where stud players can "test the waters " of the NBA and return. Heard some guy's talking about it on the radio. Let's say a Maye puts his name out there to see how much NIL he could get from a bigger program but doesn't get what he thinks he deserves then says "I'll just stay here". Programs can't be held hostage by players. It's really getting jacked up
Such a rule essentially exist. Once you enter the portal, you are no longer bound to your transferring school and they to you. The team is under no obligation to hold a spot for you.
It is only fair to have consequences for a decision to enter portal. The school has made a commitment to the student. If the student decides to “possibly” leave then they should think long and hard about what they may be giving up before they finalize that decision. They are free to go BUT you better realize that you are also forfeiting the remainder of your scholarship at current school. The stakes should be high to deter this from being a cavalier decision. I am fine with that being the way it works.
I pasted the copy below from a recruiting information website. Regarding "the school has made a commitment to the student," that commitment definitely comes with some caveats.

Surprise! You lost your athletic scholarship!

Getting an athletic scholarship is one thing, but keeping it is a whole other ball game. Most families assume their athlete will keep their athletic scholarship for the duration of their undergraduate program.

Surprise! It isn’t true. Coaches award athletic aid on a year by year or even term by term basis. Here today, gone tomorrow.

The NCAA compliance statement reads,

“Aid based in any degree on athletics ability cannot be awarded in excess of one academic year; the decision of whether a student-athlete is awarded institutional financial aid is made on a year-by-year or term-by-term basis, depending on the regulations of the institution.”[/highlight]

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:13 pm

BayouApp wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:56 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:42 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
I pasted the copy below from a recruiting information website. Regarding "the school has made a commitment to the student," that commitment definitely comes with some caveats.

Surprise! You lost your athletic scholarship!

Getting an athletic scholarship is one thing, but keeping it is a whole other ball game. Most families assume their athlete will keep their athletic scholarship for the duration of their undergraduate program.

Surprise! It isn’t true. Coaches award athletic aid on a year by year or even term by term basis. Here today, gone tomorrow.

The NCAA compliance statement reads,

“Aid based in any degree on athletics ability cannot be awarded in excess of one academic year; the decision of whether a student-athlete is awarded institutional financial aid is made on a year-by-year or term-by-term basis, depending on the regulations of the institution.”[/highlight]
The reality is that a typical scholarship has ongoing year over year responsibilities by BOTH parties to make it work.

An athlete can and always has been able to leave if they choose and the school is no longer liable. As well the school has the ability to discontinue the scholarship if the student doesn’t live up to their end of deal. I would say the latter is very unusual for a school to drop the Scholly but it has happened and usually that was for some cause. Like any contract if it is a win-win it works but the problems are when one party doesn’t uphold their side of deal. With portal rules it allows kid to leave without sitting a year.

Kafarmer

Unread post by Kafarmer » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:40 am

I saw something a few days back that took the total number of players in the portal and divided by 131 schools. The average was 13 players per school. So, we’re below average on that metric.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:09 am

Kafarmer wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:40 am
I saw something a few days back that took the total number of players in the portal and divided by 131 schools. The average was 13 players per school. So, we’re below average on that metric.
So far.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:18 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:09 am
Kafarmer wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:40 am
So far.
FWIW a buddy told me Carolina is at 12- I think 10 defense. Wonder if any of the 131 have none. Who leads the way?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:15 pm

Jaquan Lowman in portal. Didn’t see any PT but was WR depth. We’ve got 4 WR spots available so far. Brown, wells, page, lowman all gone. Would be nice if that Zavier Short kid didn’t get a later offer from beamer last year.

10 in portal, no major losses though.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:02 pm

When I think about how many students realize App is not for them and leave. I wonder what those numbers are in comparison student athletes?

sttom

Unread post by sttom » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:15 pm

311neers wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:09 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:57 pm
311neers wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:59 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:55 pm
How many of these kids going OUT have significant playing time? I know some may be missed, others may never see playing field and just want to finish with somebody on the field and it won't likely happen at APP. Just trying to gauge relative impact to our team.
Christian Wells - WR - Started games
Luke Smith - OL- Started games
KeSean Brown - LB - got some decent PT over the years
Jordan Mitchell - LB - I believe this is Jordan Helig, dont think we have a mitchell. Mostly was special teams whole career, some depth PT on defense.
Kaleb Dawson - DB- Saw some minutes
Jonathan Streeter - DB - never played
Isaac Johnson - DB- never played
Jamar Rucks - DL- role guy, saw minimal PT.

Losing some at every level. Not our best players but definitely lose some starters and depth.
Jordan Mitchell is correct. He announced last week. Jordan Helig is a separate individual.
Ah I see, hasn't been on a website roster since 2020, wasn't on 2021 for some reason.
Maybe we should have played those DB that are leaving. We were awful in that department this year. Just sayin'

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:42 pm

sttom wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:15 pm
311neers wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:09 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:57 pm
311neers wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:59 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:55 pm
How many of these kids going OUT have significant playing time? I know some may be missed, others may never see playing field and just want to finish with somebody on the field and it won't likely happen at APP. Just trying to gauge relative impact to our team.
Christian Wells - WR - Started games
Luke Smith - OL- Started games
KeSean Brown - LB - got some decent PT over the years
Jordan Mitchell - LB - I believe this is Jordan Helig, dont think we have a mitchell. Mostly was special teams whole career, some depth PT on defense.
Kaleb Dawson - DB- Saw some minutes
Jonathan Streeter - DB - never played
Isaac Johnson - DB- never played
Jamar Rucks - DL- role guy, saw minimal PT.

Losing some at every level. Not our best players but definitely lose some starters and depth.
Jordan Mitchell is correct. He announced last week. Jordan Helig is a separate individual.
Ah I see, hasn't been on a website roster since 2020, wasn't on 2021 for some reason.
Maybe we should have played those DB that are leaving. We were awful in that department this year. Just sayin'
Or maybe they weren’t good enough to beat out the ones that played.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:18 pm

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:24 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:18 pm
CCU lost a big one today...

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Footb ... nkey=24136
And their backup got arrested for allegedly throwing a woman too.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:43 pm

Is CCU becoming a dumpster fire?

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:03 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:43 pm
Was ccu ever not a dumpster fire?

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:03 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Becoming? Oh, I think we’re long past that. I thinks it’s all just coming to light now…
Give 'em hell!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:12 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:03 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Was ccu ever not a dumpster fire?
I knew they were “Patient Zero”, but didn’t know they were a dumpster fire.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:35 pm

They never really won the conference, will be interesting to see if others leave now too. Why not play the bowl game at least?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”