Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2 more changes

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2 more changes

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:31 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:28 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:18 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:15 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:08 pm
I can't believe that anyone here would actually suggest that Nunn's coaching was an issue this year. Sure, our DL could not get pressure on any passing plays the entire season, but does anyone really think that was because Nunn couldn't coach them? Doesn't it make much more sense that the kids just didn't have the ability? I mean this guy coached in the NFL for 19 years and has a Super Bowl ring on his hand (not really sure if he wears it or not so it may not actually be on his hand). Not to mention what he did for Meech, that guy is on an NFL roster because of the coaching he received from Nunn and the hard work that Meech was willing to do to implement what Nunn taught him. Anyone who thinks our DL issues were because of Nunn versus the inability of our players is just not seeing reality. You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink. Nunn is a big loss for us.

That being said, I think changing course on our strength and conditioning coach was a good call. We got pushed around all season and that starts with our off season strength and conditioning. No issue with moving on from him.
I think someone else nailed it. He absolutely knows football. Does he know how to coach college kids?
Look at our d lines the past 2 season and tell me what you think. We always stopped the run (including this year) and we put pressure on the qb in passing situations and we sent a guy to the league. Yeah, I'd say he was just fine at coaching college kids.
I can’t remember a single game this year where we consistently got pressure and that’s with an nfl quality edge rusher
Could just be a by product of heavier DL guys. If you remember back to 2020, Meech was less effective at 295 than he was at 275 in getting to the passer.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:48 pm

t4pizza wrote:
I can't believe that anyone here would actually suggest that Nunn's coaching was an issue this year. Sure, our DL could not get pressure on any passing plays the entire season, but does anyone really think that was because Nunn couldn't coach them? Doesn't it make much more sense that the kids just didn't have the ability? I mean this guy coached in the NFL for 19 years and has a Super Bowl ring on his hand (not really sure if he wears it or not so it may not actually be on his hand). Not to mention what he did for Meech, that guy is on an NFL roster because of the coaching he received from Nunn and the hard work that Meech was willing to do to implement what Nunn taught him. Anyone who thinks our DL issues were because of Nunn versus the inability of our players is just not seeing reality. You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink. Nunn is a big loss for us.

That being said, I think changing course on our strength and conditioning coach was a good call. We got pushed around all season and that starts with our off season strength and conditioning. No issue with moving on from him.
My thoughts were the same on S&C and Nunn yesterday when I heard this come down (these are the two I referred to in the other thread yesterday). I thought we lacked talent, not coaching at the DL position. But, from the way I heard it, this wasn't an "option", the program wanted to move on. I don't know any details. More to come on the S&C replacement as well....
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:49 pm

yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

I think someone else nailed it. He absolutely knows football. Does he know how to coach college kids?
Look at our d lines the past 2 season and tell me what you think. We always stopped the run (including this year) and we put pressure on the qb in passing situations and we sent a guy to the league. Yeah, I'd say he was just fine at coaching college kids.
I can’t remember a single game this year where we consistently got pressure and that’s with an nfl quality edge rusher
Texas A&M. But I see your point.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:52 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:05 pm
Other than these 3, are we expecting more shake-up?

GO APPS!!
No smoke currently- those were the only 2 that seemed imminent earlier this week. My gut tells me there will be more, but that's not based on anything definitive.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:16 pm

yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

Many people know football but they can't teach, develop, or lead. I'm not saying that about him but just knowing football does not guarantee that you will be a good coach.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:29 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:09 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:07 am
Nunn has 19 years of NFL coaching experience. This move is probably less about performance.
It was worded as contract will not be renewed, are you saying that he wanted too much money?
"Contract will not be renewed" is intentionally vague language. This could mean 100 different things. Maybe he didn't want to coach if Dale wasn't going to be there. Maybe he has a different job lined up. Maybe he was a good coach to the players but caused friction in the coaching staff. Maybe he sold his Super Bowl ring and bought a nice house in Ashe County and decided to retire. Again, could be anything.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:34 pm

yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

We gave up a ton of third and long plays because we put NO pressure on the QBs. They had all day long to find a receiver.
A good pass rush forces the QB to make quicker decisions which is better for the D for many reasons. We did not have that.
Disclaimer: I am far from an expert. Just the way I saw it all season. I'm sure our DL was giving 100% effort. Just couldn't get there.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:49 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:34 pm
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

We gave up a ton of third and long plays because we put NO pressure on the QBs. They had all day long to find a receiver.
A good pass rush forces the QB to make quicker decisions which is better for the D for many reasons. We did not have that.
Disclaimer: I am far from an expert. Just the way I saw it all season. I'm sure our DL was giving 100% effort. Just couldn't get there.
Many times it is as simple as that. You don't have to have a coaching pedigree to understand the key components of football, one of which is winning the trenches. You don't have to be the best blitzing/pressure team, but you have to have the defensive scheme to compensate for it, ie. A secondary that's lockdown leading to "coverage sacks". We lacked pressure from the front and back end coverage from our secondary. Double whammy.
The Appalachian State

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:02 pm

Maybe Nunn was not a good recruiter. We don’t seem to have anyone ready to even come close to being another Meech.
WE ARE YOSEF!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:09 pm

yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

Who on our DL do you consider an NFL quality edge rusher?

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:15 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:09 pm
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

Hampton. Edge rushers are linebackers in a 3-4

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:32 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:15 pm
t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:

Hampton isn't on the DL, he is a linebacker and although he does rush on blitzes that is not his primary responsibility. The edge rushers in a 3-4 are the DE, the past couple of years it was Spurlin and Meech and not a sole complained that Nunn wasn't able to coach the DL then. Again, the guy knows how to coach, he just didn't have the jimmy and joes on the DL this year. Anyone that thinks our weak pass rush was attributable to Nunn instead of our players just doesn't watch the same game I watch.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:40 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:32 pm
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

Hampton isn't on the DL, he is a linebacker and although he does rush on blitzes that is not his primary responsibility. The edge rushers in a 3-4 are the DE, the past couple of years it was Spurlin and Meech and not a sole complained that Nunn wasn't able to coach the DL then. Again, the guy knows how to coach, he just didn't have the jimmy and joes on the DL this year. Anyone that thinks our weak pass rush was attributable to Nunn instead of our players just doesn't watch the same game I watch.
I don’t disagree but I have to point out that coaches have to recruit and develop players. And sometimes they have to get creative with who they have. That said our D coaches had a lot to overcome this year but they only have themselves to blame for not having the “jimmy’s and joes”.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:41 pm

t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

I am aware Hampton is a LB. My point is that we had an NFL quality rusher and the DL still got manhandled. Watching the same games? Hampton is basically an upright DE haha. Like, 80% of snaps he’s rushing.

And no, edge rushers in a 3-4 are the outside linebacker. DE in a 4-3.

And part of Nunns job is to recruit and develop players. He wasn’t good at that. So he wasn’t a good college coach.
Last edited by yosef69 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:41 pm

t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

We played a lot of young guys up front on the DL. You have to wonder how much of it was just young talent facing older talent along the opposing OL.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:45 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:40 pm
t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:

I don’t disagree but I have to point out that coaches have to recruit and develop players. And sometimes they have to get creative with who they have. That said our D coaches had a lot to overcome this year but they only have themselves to blame for not having the “jimmy’s and joes”.
This is the best argument, however, at the end of the day it is the head coach that ultimately signs off on the offers regardless of which coach is recruiting the player. Our recruiting misses at CB are well documented but not so much for the DL so I really don't know how we got so weak at DE. The players seemed capable when spelling Spurlin and Meech but now that they are starting, it just wasn't there on pass rushes. I am curious how we got so weak at our DEs.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:52 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:41 pm
t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:

I am aware Hampton is a LB. My point is that we had an NFL quality rusher and the DL still got manhandled.

And no, edge rushers in a 3-4 are the outside linebacker. DE in a 4-3.

And part of Nunns job is to recruit and develop players. He wasn’t good at that. So he wasn’t a good college coach.
Correct. An edge rusher is exactly that, a rusher off the edge, and in 3-4, that's a LB
The Appalachian State

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:16 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:49 pm
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

Texas A&M. But I see your point.
The line didn't get pressure at A&M -- our LBs did.

Nunn was/is good friends with Jones. Nunn was his boss at GMC. I think that's playing a role in this. Also, need someone that's goong to get the guys pumped up.

Also, Meech's numbers actually declined under Nunn...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:27 pm

OK - we get it --- some of you don't think our coaches can coach nor recruit - this always negative crap makes me sick
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:29 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:27 pm
OK - we get it --- some of you don't think our coaches can coach nor recruit - this always negative crap makes me sick
Don’t log in then. Simple as.

This is a message board for app state football and we can discuss whatever we want surrounding app state football.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”