Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Dale Jones out - Footballscoop

AppStateMtneer
School: Appalachian State

Re: Dale Jones out - Footballscoop

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:01 am

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:14 am

Once again, what I heard from the grapevine was it was his decision to retire.

ashugh

Unread post by ashugh » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:40 am

Where did Scott Sloan land after the change at Southern?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:49 am

I imagine all defensive position coaches are at risk now. The new DC is going to want to bring his own guys in. Maybe he keeps a few for continuity, but have to imagine CB’s and DL might be replaced, too.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:00 am

APPALACHIAN STATE

Dale Jones

ARIZONA STATE

Donnie Henderson*

AUBURN

Jeff Schmedding

CHARLOTTE

Greg Brown

CINCINNATI

Mike Tressel

COLORADO

Chris Wilson

FAU

Jim Leavitt

GEORGIA TECH

Andrew Thacker*

NEBRASKA

Erik Chinander

STANFORD

Lance Anderson

TEXAS STATE

Zac Spavital

TULSA

Luke Olson

UAB

David Reeves*

UConn

Lou Spanos

UNLV

Keith Heyward

USF

Ernie Sims

WESTERN MICHIGAN

Lou Esposito

WISCONSIN

Jim Leonhard*

Off of footballscoop.com any of these we can afford, that look appealing?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:22 am

MrCraig wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:13 pm
unknown wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:45 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:26 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:52 pm
Clark essentially gave Jones an ultimatum in changing the way he calls certain things or taking his full state retirement. Jones chose retirement. He wanted one more year before retirement but didn't want to change his philosophies in certain situations.
If this is true, which you seem pretty trustworthy so I think it is, he needed to go. If he was so set in his ways as a coach that he wasn’t willing to make some changes for the benefit of the team, he doesn’t need to be coaching. Add on his poor use of Twitter, and I’m glad he’s gone. And he’s getting full state retirement benefits?? Yeah, I don’t feel bad for this guy. Later, Dale.
Wow. The man earned his retirement. I'm sure he is hurting over this too. The man literally dedicated half of his life to App St. Get a life
You act like he didn’t get paid for his work. According to AppStateNews above, he was literally too stubborn to keep his job.
Once again, that is not what I said and have already clarified. If you want to keep putting words in my mouth to fit your narrative, go ahead. But know you're wrong.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:50 am

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:51 am
Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:21 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:19 pm
Y’all are acting like he died. I’m sure he did a lot of great things in his over 20 years at App, probably had a big impact on a lot of young men. But I was replying to AppStateNews who said above that Jones was unwilling to make some changes in his philosophy, so he retired with full benefits. Being so stubborn you’d rather quit that take some criticism and change a little doesn’t sound like “Today I Give My All…” to me. It sounds like “I don’t want to change so I won’t.” Now he’s retired, a position I am envious of.
I think people are bristling at your dismissive callousness of a coach who’s dedicated many years to App. You don’t like his play calling and are happy he’s retiring, that’s your right but trashing him serves no real purpose and isn’t a great look.
They can bristle all they want. Again, from what I can tell from a quick google, Jones was making over $100k a year to coach football. He is getting full state retirement benefits. His family is fine, he isn't going to be homeless. In fact, I'd assume he lives a more comfortable life than most of the teachers who graduated from App. So pardon me for being callous. Thanks for working at App for a long time, Dale. Enjoy retirement.
100k a year to work the hours he did ain’t exactly rollin in dough. 100k a year in general these days ain’t exactly rolling in dough. You look more petty than anything. I can’t keep up. Are you in the fire everyone camp or you just hate all the coaches camp? I’m trying to keep track

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:59 am

Haters are going to hate ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:59 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:22 am
MrCraig wrote:
unknown wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:52 pm
Clark essentially gave Jones an ultimatum in changing the way he calls certain things or taking his full state retirement. Jones chose retirement. He wanted one more year before retirement but didn't want to change his philosophies in certain situations.
If this is true, which you seem pretty trustworthy so I think it is, he needed to go. If he was so set in his ways as a coach that he wasn’t willing to make some changes for the benefit of the team, he doesn’t need to be coaching. Add on his poor use of Twitter, and I’m glad he’s gone. And he’s getting full state retirement benefits?? Yeah, I don’t feel bad for this guy. Later, Dale.
Wow. The man earned his retirement. I'm sure he is hurting over this too. The man literally dedicated half of his life to App St. Get a life
You act like he didn’t get paid for his work. According to AppStateNews above, he was literally too stubborn to keep his job.
Once again, that is not what I said and have already clarified. If you want to keep putting words in my mouth to fit your narrative, go ahead. But know you're wrong.

You didn't use the word stubborn, but how you described how it went down definitely comes across as stubborn. Quick Google search provided this definition

Stubborn: Having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something, especially in spite of good arguments or reasons to do so.

As you described, Jones was determined not to change his attitude or position on how to handle certain situations, and I believe the examples of good arguments or reasons to do so can be found plentiful on film.

I'm sure there are many other things Jones isn't stubborn about, but this comes across as a stubborn stance.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:00 am

ashugh wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:40 am
Army.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:05 am

ashugh wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:40 am
Army....co-d coordinator with Nate Woody....

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:06 am

Gasparato?

Love to have Woody back, but understand that ain’t happening.

I remember when Drink took over, I talked to players and staff in New Orleans, and the ones I spoke to wanted Gas to be DC.

GO APPS!!

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:06 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:50 am
MrCraig wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
Y’all are acting like he died. I’m sure he did a lot of great things in his over 20 years at App, probably had a big impact on a lot of young men. But I was replying to AppStateNews who said above that Jones was unwilling to make some changes in his philosophy, so he retired with full benefits. Being so stubborn you’d rather quit that take some criticism and change a little doesn’t sound like “Today I Give My All…” to me. It sounds like “I don’t want to change so I won’t.” Now he’s retired, a position I am envious of.
I think people are bristling at your dismissive callousness of a coach who’s dedicated many years to App. You don’t like his play calling and are happy he’s retiring, that’s your right but trashing him serves no real purpose and isn’t a great look.
They can bristle all they want. Again, from what I can tell from a quick google, Jones was making over $100k a year to coach football. He is getting full state retirement benefits. His family is fine, he isn't going to be homeless. In fact, I'd assume he lives a more comfortable life than most of the teachers who graduated from App. So pardon me for being callous. Thanks for working at App for a long time, Dale. Enjoy retirement.
100k a year to work the hours he did ain’t exactly rollin in dough. 100k a year in general these days ain’t exactly rolling in dough. You look more petty than anything. I can’t keep up. Are you in the fire everyone camp or you just hate all the coaches camp? I’m trying to keep track
If you check the public salary database for schools in NC, it looks like he was making over $300k unless that info is bad or out of date. I know many in college football world make more and likely not that extravagant on a per hour basis but just wanted to throw that out there.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:07 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:59 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:22 am
MrCraig wrote:
unknown wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

You didn't use the word stubborn, but how you described how it went down definitely comes across as stubborn. Quick Google search provided this definition

Stubborn: Having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something, especially in spite of good arguments or reasons to do so.

As you described, Jones was determined not to change his attitude or position on how to handle certain situations, and I believe the examples of good arguments or reasons to do so can be found plentiful on film.

I'm sure there are many other things Jones isn't stubborn about, but this comes across as a stubborn stance.
And I have since clarified. Coaches are allowed to have different philosophies. If Jones didn't think the requested change in philosophy in certain situations was the right thing to do, that doesn't make him stubborn.

Clark wanted xyz in certain situations and Jones thinks abc is better. Not stubborn. Just different angles on things. And that's what makes football do fun. There isn't a definitive right answer.
tAPPedInSports.net

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:07 am

appstate24 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:06 am
Gasparato?

I remember when Drink took over, I talked to players and staff in New Orleans, and the ones I spoke to wanted Gas to be DC.

GO APPS!!
Gaspo would be my choice.
tAPPedInSports.net

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:16 am

AppInDC wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:50 am
MrCraig wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
If you check the public salary database for schools in NC, it looks like he was making over $300k unless that info is bad or out of date. I know many in college football world make more and likely not that extravagant on a per hour basis but just wanted to throw that out there.
Ahhh that makes more sense money wise

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:17 am

appstate24 wrote:
Gasparato?

GO APPS!!
I sure hope we make this hire based on a lot more than who the players want.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:24 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:17 am
appstate24 wrote:
Gasparato?

GO APPS!!
I sure hope we make this hire based on a lot more than who the players want.
Players and previous staff all said he was ready for it. It was Gaspo being the on field voice that turned the defense around in 2019.
tAPPedInSports.net

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:29 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:40 am
I would assume this decision did not happen in a vacuum…SC, DG maybe some player end of career interviews and others were consulted. Maybe DJ lost the defense? In any event a change was needed. Remains to be seen if this is the right one.
And I have heard an additional 10 or so players will leave…so 28 seniors and 10 others.

Lots of work to do….
We’re losing 38 dudes? That’s over 1/3rd of the roster! Sheesh. Makes sense cuz we’ve offered a ton of JUCO/Portal guys already.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:37 am

The new reality-you build a roster for each season.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”