Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Dale Jones out - Footballscoop

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

Re: Dale Jones out - Footballscoop

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:07 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:26 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:52 pm
Clark essentially gave Jones an ultimatum in changing the way he calls certain things or taking his full state retirement. Jones chose retirement. He wanted one more year before retirement but didn't want to change his philosophies in certain situations.
If this is true, which you seem pretty trustworthy so I think it is, he needed to go. If he was so set in his ways as a coach that he wasn’t willing to make some changes for the benefit of the team, he doesn’t need to be coaching. Add on his poor use of Twitter, and I’m glad he’s gone. And he’s getting full state retirement benefits?? Yeah, I don’t feel bad for this guy. Later, Dale.
Something I did a few days ago really did me a lot of good. I went on the App state roster page and looked at the pictures of some of our players and coaches. Took the time to read some of the bios. Again, players and coaches. Made me see them more as the real people they are and less as something or someone to entertain me for 10 or 12 Saturday’s ever year. I’m not saying our coaches don’t need to be accountable, they absolutely do. But I can still value them as people even if I don’t think they did a great job as a coach. Dale Jones was, is a class act who did a ton of good at App. Show some respect for the man.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:11 pm

MrCraig wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Clark essentially gave Jones an ultimatum in changing the way he calls certain things or taking his full state retirement. Jones chose retirement. He wanted one more year before retirement but didn't want to change his philosophies in certain situations.
If this is true, which you seem pretty trustworthy so I think it is, he needed to go. If he was so set in his ways as a coach that he wasn’t willing to make some changes for the benefit of the team, he doesn’t need to be coaching. Add on his poor use of Twitter, and I’m glad he’s gone. And he’s getting full state retirement benefits?? Yeah, I don’t feel bad for this guy. Later, Dale.
Classless, as usual.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:12 pm

Anybody that has ever had to hire and fire knows this is never a good day. I feel for all parties. I appreciate all DJ did for the program over the years while also knowing this had to be done and is the right decision.

Let’s not be jerks about a tough decision. Show a little compassion and let’s move on.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:13 pm

unknown wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:45 pm
MrCraig wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Wow. The man earned his retirement. I'm sure he is hurting over this too. The man literally dedicated half of his life to App St. Get a life
You act like he didn’t get paid for his work. According to AppStateNews above, he was literally too stubborn to keep his job.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:16 pm

Thank you Dale Jones.

Unbelievable run for a college football coach. 26/27 years on the Mountain. Developed hundreds of players on and off the field helping them become better men and citizens today. For more than a quarter century, you help sustain the “Appalachian Way” process and the “App Family” culture and tradition that makes App State a great place to go to school and play ball.

This App State Alum, YC member and Mountaineers sports fan is very appreciative of your demonstrated dedication, commitment and love for the black and gold.

All the best, Coach.

Sincerely,
Appstate88
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:19 pm

Y’all are acting like he died. I’m sure he did a lot of great things in his over 20 years at App, probably had a big impact on a lot of young men. But I was replying to AppStateNews who said above that Jones was unwilling to make some changes in his philosophy, so he retired with full benefits. Being so stubborn you’d rather quit that take some criticism and change a little doesn’t sound like “Today I Give My All…” to me. It sounds like “I don’t want to change so I won’t.” Now he’s retired, a position I am envious of.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:21 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:19 pm
Y’all are acting like he died. I’m sure he did a lot of great things in his over 20 years at App, probably had a big impact on a lot of young men. But I was replying to AppStateNews who said above that Jones was unwilling to make some changes in his philosophy, so he retired with full benefits. Being so stubborn you’d rather quit that take some criticism and change a little doesn’t sound like “Today I Give My All…” to me. It sounds like “I don’t want to change so I won’t.” Now he’s retired, a position I am envious of.
I think people are bristling at your dismissive callousness of a coach who’s dedicated many years to App. You don’t like his play calling and are happy he’s retiring, that’s your right but trashing him serves no real purpose and isn’t a great look.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:24 pm

MrCraig wrote:
No, I did not say he was too stubborn or unwilling. He didn't believe those changes were needed. A difference of philosophies -- not being stubborn.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:26 pm

That couldn't have been easy for Clark, Dale Jones has been around App football for most if not all of his coaching career. Probably time though, on field performance has been suffering and an inability or unwillingness to make changes sealed the decision.

Dale Jones has had a hand in a great deal of our success, thank him for his contributions to APP State and wish him well.
Last edited by Apptiger on Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:27 pm

Dale is a good man , and I believe on some all-time SEC honors teams as a UT linebacker. He was a good position coach as far as I can tell. Sometimes skill sets don't transfer or match up with a new assignment and it doesn't work out.I do not believe there was any negotiation however as both sides knew it was not working .It just wasn't a fit.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:06 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:07 pm
MrCraig wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Something I did a few days ago really did me a lot of good. I went on the App state roster page and looked at the pictures of some of our players and coaches. Took the time to read some of the bios. Again, players and coaches. Made me see them more as the real people they are and less as something or someone to entertain me for 10 or 12 Saturday’s ever year. I’m not saying our coaches don’t need to be accountable, they absolutely do. But I can still value them as people even if I don’t think they did a great job as a coach. Dale Jones was, is a class act who did a ton of good at App. Show some respect for the man.
You can be a good man overall and still have a philosophy that didn’t match. They are all people with good and bad traits. The fact he didn’t listen to Shawn during the year and adjust tells me he was just not willing to adjust his approach. Adapt or die and he chose not to adapt. I do appreciate that he loves App and worked hard. It’s just that his time has come. I’m glad Tommy didn’t get in the way here. I’m sure even if he was that he saw fan reaction and didn’t want to become an enemy himself so he backed off and let Shawn make the decision without influencing it.

Moonshine Runners

Unread post by Moonshine Runners » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:23 pm

Dale was used as a pawn to blame, for a less than stellar season. He dealt with injuries, 2nd stringers, and a head coach with the spine of a jellyfish. To regain any traction with Clark at the helm. Reschedule next season by starting off with playing Lenoir-Rhyne, Emory and Henry, Old Dominion, etc.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:17 am

I'm afraid we just lost one of, if not the best, position coaches on the staff. This could hurt as much as it helps.

Thank you Coach Jones to the many, MANY years you have put in to App state football. The last coach from the Championship years and you will be missed. I hope he stays connected to App state in some form or fashion. I believe he truly loved Boone & App state. I hate to see him go.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:23 am

MrCraig wrote:
Or maybe he knew the issue wasn't philosophy or scheme but maybe personal or injuries? To assume he didn't give his all to App is pretty much making an @$$ out of just you. Horrible take.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:55 am

Many thanks to Dale Jones. Any ideas/thoughts if we promote internally?

AppUSMC

Unread post by AppUSMC » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:53 am

Dale is a football legend and we were blessed to have him. He’s been with App since 1996 except one year at Louisville. Thank you Dale for some amazing years!

He was DC 2010-2012. Why was he demoted in 2012 back to LB coach? I don’t have the answer as to why he’s been let go from DC again 10 years later, but I sure wish he’d stay as linebackers coach.

From wiki:

Jones is frequently recalled as the "emotional leader" of the 1985 "Sugar Vols" squad.[10][11] In Tennessee's 38-20 upset of #1 Auburn on September 28, Jones led a swarming defense that held eventual Heisman Trophy winner Bo Jackson to 80 yards on 17 carries (Jackson entered the game averaging over 200 yards per game for the season).[12] Following the team's 17-10 loss to Florida on October 12, Jones rallied the team with a locker room speech in which he declared, "This is the only game we're going to lose all year."[13]

The biggest play of Jones's career came in Tennessee's win over Alabama, which took place at Legion Field on October 19. After Tennessee's star quarterback Tony Robinson left the game with an injury, Alabama seized the momentum and scored a touchdown to cut the lead to 16-14, and had driven into Tennessee territory for what would have been the go-ahead score, when Jones tipped a pass from quarterback Mike Shula and caught it as he fell to the ground for a drive-killing interception.[14] Jones also recovered a fumble late in the 3rd quarter that set up Tennessee's third field goal.[15]

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:23 am

CoachRob wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:23 am
MrCraig wrote:
Or maybe he knew the issue wasn't philosophy or scheme but maybe personal or injuries? To assume he didn't give his all to App is pretty much making an @$$ out of just you. Horrible take.
I'm just replying to what AppStateNews said. He said it was an issue of philosophy. Refusal to change philosophy and quitting/getting fired instead seems pretty stubborn to me.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:25 am

He spent a lot of years at App and I am sure he gave it all he had. It is rare this day and time for that many years to be spent at one place be it in sport or industry. Over my long career on industry I have had to fire a lot of folks. Some I considered friends. But sometimes business decisions have to be made for good or bad, right or wrong sometimes changes have to be made. Good Luck Coach Jones in your retirement and let's see what these changes bring.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:40 am

I would assume this decision did not happen in a vacuum…SC, DG maybe some player end of career interviews and others were consulted. Maybe DJ lost the defense? In any event a change was needed. Remains to be seen if this is the right one.
And I have heard an additional 10 or so players will leave…so 28 seniors and 10 others.

Lots of work to do….

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:51 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:21 pm
MrCraig wrote:
I think people are bristling at your dismissive callousness of a coach who’s dedicated many years to App. You don’t like his play calling and are happy he’s retiring, that’s your right but trashing him serves no real purpose and isn’t a great look.
They can bristle all they want. Again, from what I can tell from a quick google, Jones was making over $100k a year to coach football. He is getting full state retirement benefits. His family is fine, he isn't going to be homeless. In fact, I'd assume he lives a more comfortable life than most of the teachers who graduated from App. So pardon me for being callous. Thanks for working at App for a long time, Dale. Enjoy retirement.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”