Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Dale Jones out - Footballscoop

MrCraig
School: Appalachian State

Re: Dale Jones out - Footballscoop

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:04 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:16 am
AppInDC wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:06 am
Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:50 am
MrCraig wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:51 am
Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:21 pm

I think people are bristling at your dismissive callousness of a coach who’s dedicated many years to App. You don’t like his play calling and are happy he’s retiring, that’s your right but trashing him serves no real purpose and isn’t a great look.
They can bristle all they want. Again, from what I can tell from a quick google, Jones was making over $100k a year to coach football. He is getting full state retirement benefits. His family is fine, he isn't going to be homeless. In fact, I'd assume he lives a more comfortable life than most of the teachers who graduated from App. So pardon me for being callous. Thanks for working at App for a long time, Dale. Enjoy retirement.
100k a year to work the hours he did ain’t exactly rollin in dough. 100k a year in general these days ain’t exactly rolling in dough. You look more petty than anything. I can’t keep up. Are you in the fire everyone camp or you just hate all the coaches camp? I’m trying to keep track
If you check the public salary database for schools in NC, it looks like he was making over $300k unless that info is bad or out of date. I know many in college football world make more and likely not that extravagant on a per hour basis but just wanted to throw that out there.
Ahhh that makes more sense money wise
The $100k figure I found was from a news article from 2020. Usually the public salary databases are a year behind. I think him making $300k a year just solidifies my point. Jones is going to get a solid little monthly payment from state retirement. So, again, I don't feel too bad for him. Thanks for all you did, Dale.

I'm not in the "fire everybody" crowd, but anyone who watched this season knows changes needed to be made and that the defense was not up to App State standards.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:05 pm

Thanks Dale Jones for all the work you have done over your career at App. I know a lot of people had issue with him as a DC but nobody has ever expressed issue with him as a linebacker coach. He was perhaps our best and most reliable position coaches in recent memory. Think of all the stud linebackers that Dale produced for App State over the years, it's an impressive list. Sadly, when a school like App goes 6-6, some heads are going to have to roll. I see Dale as an easy scapegoat because of our defensive deficiencies this year, but everyone that paid attention knew our defense would be significantly worse this year after losing 6 of our top 7 tacklers (3 on NFL rosters) and a ton of leadership and being very very think in our defensive backfield. I really think the D performed better than should have been expected considering the lack of talent and depth. I know giving up all those 3rd and longs is brutal but at the end of the day I still stand by my position that the defense made enough stops to allow our offense to win the games. I think we were let down far more by our lack of offensive production than our defense, especially when one looks at the talent and injuries to both sides of the ball. Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now. Again, thank you Dale Jones for all you gave to our school.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:06 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:04 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:16 am
AppInDC wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:06 am
Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:50 am
MrCraig wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:51 am

They can bristle all they want. Again, from what I can tell from a quick google, Jones was making over $100k a year to coach football. He is getting full state retirement benefits. His family is fine, he isn't going to be homeless. In fact, I'd assume he lives a more comfortable life than most of the teachers who graduated from App. So pardon me for being callous. Thanks for working at App for a long time, Dale. Enjoy retirement.
100k a year to work the hours he did ain’t exactly rollin in dough. 100k a year in general these days ain’t exactly rolling in dough. You look more petty than anything. I can’t keep up. Are you in the fire everyone camp or you just hate all the coaches camp? I’m trying to keep track
If you check the public salary database for schools in NC, it looks like he was making over $300k unless that info is bad or out of date. I know many in college football world make more and likely not that extravagant on a per hour basis but just wanted to throw that out there.
Ahhh that makes more sense money wise
The $100k figure I found was from a news article from 2020. Usually the public salary databases are a year behind. I think him making $300k a year just solidifies my point. Jones is going to get a solid little monthly payment from state retirement. So, again, I don't feel too bad for him. Thanks for all you did, Dale.

I'm not in the "fire everybody" crowd, but anyone who watched this season knows changes needed to be made and that the defense was not up to App State standards.
Agree. I was about to say Jones had a terrrible agent.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:38 pm

Bring back GAS! Foot on the GAS!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:52 pm

I will leave it to Shawn to decide if it was the right move or not. I respect Dale for his decision also. I don't know if this years problem with the defense was his fault or not. I look forward to next year and hope a good hire is made. I will say this though. In my opinion he was the best position coach we have had.
It is a shame some folks have to be jerks at a time like this.

wb247

Unread post by wb247 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:03 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:05 pm
... I think we were let down far more by our lack of offensive production than our defense ...
Agreed. Defense would not have looked so bad if the offense could have spent a little more time on the field.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:07 pm

unknown wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:27 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:22 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:22 am
MrCraig wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:13 pm
unknown wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:45 pm

Wow. The man earned his retirement. I'm sure he is hurting over this too. The man literally dedicated half of his life to App St. Get a life
You act like he didn’t get paid for his work. According to AppStateNews above, he was literally too stubborn to keep his job.
Once again, that is not what I said and have already clarified. If you want to keep putting words in my mouth to fit your narrative, go ahead. But know you're wrong.
I'm sorry. You're right that I'm putting words in your mouth a bit. I take what you said and it sounds like him being stubborn. If he was asked/told that he needed to change some things and he refused, that seems stubborn to me. In most professions, but especially coaching, you have to adapt and innovate or get left behind.
Never happened so mute point
Guess you need to set the story straight since you say this didn't happen and these guys seem to have a pretty good track record on this stuff.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:08 pm

AppUSMC wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:53 am
He was DC 2010-2012. Why was he demoted in 2012 back to LB coach? I don’t have the answer as to why he’s been let go from DC again 10 years later, but I sure wish he’d stay as linebackers coach.
Satterfield became head coach and hiring Nate Woody as DC was the first thing he did. Jones' defense was poor in 2011 and 2012 as he wanted to change from a 4-3 to a 3-4, but didn't fully commit to it. Woody committed to the change and although it was painful at first, it worked out after the 2013 season.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:13 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:07 pm
unknown wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:13 pm

You act like he didn’t get paid for his work. According to AppStateNews above, he was literally too stubborn to keep his job.
Once again, that is not what I said and have already clarified. If you want to keep putting words in my mouth to fit your narrative, go ahead. But know you're wrong.
I'm sorry. You're right that I'm putting words in your mouth a bit. I take what you said and it sounds like him being stubborn. If he was asked/told that he needed to change some things and he refused, that seems stubborn to me. In most professions, but especially coaching, you have to adapt and innovate or get left behind.
Guess you need to set the story straight since you say this didn't happen and these guys seem to have a pretty good track record on this stuff.
Nobody needs to set the story straight. Neither one of us were in that room when conversation was had. We likely got our info from two different sources from opposing sides.

Bottom line -- DJ was not retained. DJ gave his all for App State. There should be no ill will to the man. He is a top notch LB coach and we will miss him a lot.

I personally think he deserved another year or two. The defense made tons of strides (with A LOT of adjustments because of personnel issues) throughout the season. If we were able to fix the secondary, with the pieces he has coming back, our defense could be really good.

But, alas, I am not the one to make those decisions. I hate it for DJ, but understand it too.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:20 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:13 pm
BUTCH1991 wrote:
unknown wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

Nobody needs to set the story straight. Neither one of us were in that room when conversation was had. We likely got our info from two different sources from opposing sides.

Bottom line -- DJ was not retained. DJ gave his all for App State. There should be no ill will to the man. He is a top notch LB coach and we will miss him a lot.

I personally think he deserved another year or two. The defense made tons of strides (with A LOT of adjustments because of personnel issues) throughout the season. If we were able to fix the secondary, with the pieces he has coming back, our defense could be really good.

But, alas, I am not the one to make those decisions. I hate it for DJ, but understand it too.
Strides throughout the season? He started with 63 points and ended with 51. That’s not progress

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:38 pm

wb247 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:03 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:05 pm
... I think we were let down far more by our lack of offensive production than our defense ...
Agreed. Defense would not have looked so bad if the offense could have spent a little more time on the field.
Maybe, but maybe our offense would have run more clock if defense would have stopped all the early scores.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:40 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:20 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
unknown wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

Strides throughout the season? He started with 63 points and ended with 51. That’s not progress
That’s a 20% decrease, that’s amazing improvement!!! LOLZ 😂

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:25 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:13 pm
There are few coaches that gave more the Jones in the history of our program. Best of luck in retirement and thanks for making those young men better football players, but more so better men.
One of the very few positive posts since two or three games ago, Saint.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:48 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:23 am
CoachRob wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:23 am
MrCraig wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:19 pm
Y’all are acting like he died. I’m sure he did a lot of great things in his over 20 years at App, probably had a big impact on a lot of young men. But I was replying to AppStateNews who said above that Jones was unwilling to make some changes in his philosophy, so he retired with full benefits. Being so stubborn you’d rather quit that take some criticism and change a little doesn’t sound like “Today I Give My All…” to me. It sounds like “I don’t want to change so I won’t.” Now he’s retired, a position I am envious of.
Or maybe he knew the issue wasn't philosophy or scheme but maybe personal or injuries? To assume he didn't give his all to App is pretty much making an @$$ out of just you. Horrible take.
I'm just replying to what AppStateNews said. He said it was an issue of philosophy. Refusal to change philosophy and quitting/getting fired instead seems pretty stubborn to me.
Not really. As an experienced coach, you have a philosophy that you know, comfortable with, confident in and believe in. You don't just change philosophies like you would change classes if someone is asked too. If your philosophy is belief in running the ball, you're not going to be able to flip the switch the start throwing it around all of a sudden, doesn't work that way.

DJ had continued to run a similar 3-4 base defense that had been installed by Woody, and continued with Brown. A change in philosophy sounds like a possible change in the defense(I really don't know, just thinking out loud), which I'm assuming DJ wasn't confident in doing. That doesn't make him selfish or stubborn.

I again argue, that our biggest problems on D was not philosophy or scheme.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:51 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:48 pm
MrCraig wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
Y’all are acting like he died. I’m sure he did a lot of great things in his over 20 years at App, probably had a big impact on a lot of young men. But I was replying to AppStateNews who said above that Jones was unwilling to make some changes in his philosophy, so he retired with full benefits. Being so stubborn you’d rather quit that take some criticism and change a little doesn’t sound like “Today I Give My All…” to me. It sounds like “I don’t want to change so I won’t.” Now he’s retired, a position I am envious of.
Or maybe he knew the issue wasn't philosophy or scheme but maybe personal or injuries? To assume he didn't give his all to App is pretty much making an @$$ out of just you. Horrible take.
I'm just replying to what AppStateNews said. He said it was an issue of philosophy. Refusal to change philosophy and quitting/getting fired instead seems pretty stubborn to me.
Not really. As an experienced coach, you have a philosophy that you know, comfortable with, confident in and believe in. You don't just change philosophies like you would change classes if someone is asked too. If your philosophy is belief in running the ball, you're not going to be able to flip the switch the start throwing it around all of a sudden, doesn't work that way.

DJ had continued to run a similar 3-4 base defense that had been installed by Woody, and continued with Brown. A change in philosophy sounds like a possible change in the defense(I really don't know, just thinking out loud), which I'm assuming DJ wasn't confident in doing. That doesn't make him selfish or stubborn.

The ask wasn't to change away from the 3-4. Just change the way it's called in certain situations..
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

unknown

Unread post by unknown » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:07 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
unknown wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

Oh but I do know. And it's clear that you don't based off of your responses in this thread. It is also clear that App is pushing a false narrative

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:58 pm

CoachRob wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

Uh… actually it does work that way? Nick Saban has stayed on top of the college football world by completely reinventing his offense and defensive identities multiple times. Jerry Moore completely changed offensive identities by going to the spread offense and won 3 national titles. The only coaches that are stubbornly set in their ways and schemes are the ones that lose a lot.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:00 pm

unknown wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:07 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
unknown wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

Oh but I do know. And it's clear that you don't based off of your responses in this thread. It is also clear that App is pushing a false narrative
Well now I want to know which narrative is the false one and which is legit. I hope the real story is juicy. Like Dale Jones was using Macado’s to launder money.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:08 pm

Insider fight!

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:28 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:58 pm
CoachRob wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

Uh… actually it does work that way? Nick Saban has stayed on top of the college football world by completely reinventing his offense and defensive identities multiple times. Jerry Moore completely changed offensive identities by going to the spread offense and won 3 national titles. The only coaches that are stubbornly set in their ways and schemes are the ones that lose a lot.
You realize those Head Coaches adjust based on the Coordinators they hire, correct? I don't know of the staff changes at App in the early 2000s, but Saban has a new OC every other year and the offense changes has been in correlation with those new coordinators. Apples to Oranges.
Not to mention, Saban stayes on top of the college football world by getting the best players of college football year in and year out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”