Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Possible transfer situations

appdaze

Possible transfer situations

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:23 pm

What are some situations that could create some portal situations for us?

The NC state QB situation could be one. All three looked good this year. Leary is a rising senior and the other two will be rising sophomores. That's a crowded QB room. If one of them were to hit the portal I think we should take a shot to make for a competitive QB competition.

Anyone see some other situations that might become advantageous to us?

asu1988
School: Appalachian State

Re: Possible transfer situations

Unread post by asu1988 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:47 pm

Uh, no. Chase had a good arm. TBH, he didn't play all that bad last night and took what the defense gave him. However, App State is built on a mobile QB (Richie, AE, Lamb, Thomas). I liked what I saw out of Ryan Burger. Let's see what he's got and try to develop a QB from within. Hit the portal for some DBs.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:49 pm

Will McBride be back next year? He’s mobile too, I think. If he’s back I don’t think we need to portal for QB. We need OL and DL.
WE ARE YOSEF!

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:51 pm

I think Berger will be our McCall. What I saw of him this season impressed me. We'll see.

J_Mountaineers

Unread post by J_Mountaineers » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:52 pm

🍔

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:10 pm

appstate77 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:51 pm
I think Berger will be our McCall. What I saw of him this season impressed me. We'll see.
He doesn’t throw a bad ball. He deserves a chance in spring practice. That’s an advantage of the early spring practice. We can form our list before anyone else.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

unknown

Unread post by unknown » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:26 pm

Well App has to be able to get them in school. But more importantly, we have to find the money to compete in the new climate of college football. NIL is here to stay. If you own a business, have disposable income and are serious about winning, get involved. I would start with buying the back end of the defense. And a QB that is a play maker .

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:02 pm

We have Burger, McBride and McHugh. We don’t need a transfer at QB.

unknown

Unread post by unknown » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:10 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:02 pm
Nothing proven. A grad transfer that can play would be nice but those guys don't come unless there is a job guaranteed to them. I would start with the backend of the defense. I think everyone knows this though

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:12 pm

unknown wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:10 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Nothing proven. A grad transfer that can play would be nice but those guys don't come unless there is a job guaranteed to them. I would start with the backend of the defense. I think everyone knows this though
We tried that. We had two guys on the hook until they saw how much class work they were going to lose credit for. Both are starting at P5s.

unknown

Unread post by unknown » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:14 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:12 pm
unknown wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
We tried that. We had two guys on the hook until they saw how much class work they were going to lose credit for. Both are starting at P5s.
I am aware. Another change that has to happen.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:16 pm

unknown wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:14 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:12 pm
unknown wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
I am aware. Another change that has to happen.
And that one is out of his hands and may take some time. Mack Brown has said the same issue affects them.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:31 pm

Personally, we should go get the best players available, whether the position depth is unproven or lacking talent based upon performance this year. If there is a QB in the portal that we believe is good, we should go and try to sign. If the 3 or 4 on the current roster are good enough, they will beat the transfer out in competition. Is it our first priority, no. However, it takes 5 to 10 minutes to inquire if interest.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:38 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:31 pm
Personally, we should go get the best players available, whether the position depth is unproven or lacking talent based upon performance this year. If there is a QB in the portal that we believe is good, we should go and try to sign. If the 3 or 4 on the current roster are good enough, they will beat the transfer out in competition. Is it our first priority, no. However, it takes 5 to 10 minutes to inquire if interest.
If it were that simple.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:50 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Tell me you don't know anything about the transfer portal without telling me you don't know anything about the transfer portal...

5-10 minutes to inquire about interest? Change that minutes to hours to even gain access to inquire about interest. For one player.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:03 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:50 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Tell me you don't know anything about the transfer portal without telling me you don't know anything about the transfer portal...

5-10 minutes to inquire about interest? Change that minutes to hours to even gain access to inquire about interest. For one player.
Tell me you do not know how the actual behind the scenes work related to the transfer portal without telling you do not know how real life works. When kids are in the TP or it is known they will enter the TP, inquiries are made every day about interest through intermediate sources and not directly by the schools. Happens every day...
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:09 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:03 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

Tell me you do not know how the actual behind the scenes work related to the transfer portal without telling you do not know how real life works. When kids are in the TP or it is known they will enter the TP, inquiries are made every day about interest through intermediate sources and not directly by the schools. Happens every day...
Correct. But you said we should go sign and then said it takes 5-10 minutes to gauge interest. We can't sign until we take the 5-10 hours to initiate contact with said player.

The coaches cannot legally gauge interest until that 5-10 hours is spent. Can some Joe Snow alum ask a HS coach? Sure. That happens daily. But, if that Joe Snow goes to our coaches and says "this player is very interested" that is called tampering and illegal.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:19 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:09 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

Correct. But you said we should go sign and then said it takes 5-10 minutes to gauge interest. We can't sign until we take the 5-10 hours to initiate contact with said player.

The coaches cannot legally gauge interest until that 5-10 hours is spent. Can some Joe Snow alum ask a HS coach? Sure. That happens daily. But, if that Joe Snow goes to our coaches and says "this player is very interested" that is called tampering and illegal.
I mean, you’re not wrong, it is tampering and technically illegal, but it’s happening every hour of every day. Contrary to what I guess is popular belief, these kids aren’t just hopping in the portal to take a shot in the dark.
Last edited by Yosef10 on Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:20 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

I am told it is actually worse ...third parties poach trying to get kids into the portal and subsequently on their team.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:20 pm

It take minutes to inquire of interest and hours to land them in the boat. Let’s move on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”