Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Possible transfer situations

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Possible transfer situations

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:58 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:37 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:49 am
If NIL isn’t reigned in soon players who do not wish to participate in classroom activities will class action sue the NCAA, claiming that time spent in the classroom limits their ability to train, practice, and seek out NIL opportunities. They’ll argue that the only reason they came to college is because the NFL requires them to be 3 years out of high school...and they’ll win.

At which point they’ll be classified as non-academic representatives of the school’s athletic department.

If the NFL ever abolishes their 3 year rule or they (or another financially lucrative league) allows participation right out of high school, look out!!!
Nah. That won’t happen. That law suit doesn’t make any sense. If athletes really had that mindset, they would go to the NFL and demand a legitimate minor league system. At that point, football would become like every other sport where some kids go straight to the pros while others go to college to get an education and play ball. The college product might be watered down some, but it would still be exciting. Just like basketball and baseball.
If they do away with the rule, these kids, and the media, will then fully understand why the rule is in place to begin with. 99.9% of the kids who try to go right out of high school won't make it and probably 80% who go after 1 or 2 years of college will fail and end up in the real world or playing in a secondary league trying to rebound their careers. The NFL needs a minor league in the USA that is sponsored by the NFL but the owners don't want to spend the money because they feel that is what college is for.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:20 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:36 pm
Maybe this should be posted somewhere else, but since this thread is about transfers… has anyone else seen our old friend Kesean whining on Twitter? There’s 2-3 other tweets similar to this.

This whining is just a cancer in the locker room. We don't need him here with that attitude anyway. Hope the App State door didn't hit him to darn hard in his App on the way out!!
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:27 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:07 pm
MrCraig wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
If NIL isn’t reigned in soon players who do not wish to participate in classroom activities will class action sue the NCAA, claiming that time spent in the classroom limits their ability to train, practice, and seek out NIL opportunities. They’ll argue that the only reason they came to college is because the NFL requires them to be 3 years out of high school...and they’ll win.

At which point they’ll be classified as non-academic representatives of the school’s athletic department.

If the NFL ever abolishes their 3 year rule or they (or another financially lucrative league) allows participation right out of high school, look out!!!
Nah. That won’t happen. That law suit doesn’t make any sense. If athletes really had that mindset, they would go to the NFL and demand a legitimate minor league system. At that point, football would become like every other sport where some kids go straight to the pros while others go to college to get an education and play ball. The college product might be watered down some, but it would still be exciting. Just like basketball and baseball.
1. When did a lawsuit being frivolous ever prevent it from being filed?
2. The NFL is a private company and can make their own rules. Thankfully they’ve held their ground on their 3 year rule to this point.

I hope they value college football as their primary feeder system and don’t actively seek to undermine it.

If he still reads this message board I’d love Gonzo’s opinion (or any other lawyers here) on that hypothetical suit’s merits.
Oh, my bad. I didn’t realize you were one of the people that thinks athletes shouldn’t be paid for their talents until a certain age and should be exploited by a system that claims it has their best interests at heart while the athletes sacrifice their time and health in exchange for “an education.”

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:28 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:58 pm
MrCraig wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

If they do away with the rule, these kids, and the media, will then fully understand why the rule is in place to begin with. 99.9% of the kids who try to go right out of high school won't make it and probably 80% who go after 1 or 2 years of college will fail and end up in the real world or playing in a secondary league trying to rebound their careers. The NFL needs a minor league in the USA that is sponsored by the NFL but the owners don't want to spend the money because they feel that is what college is for.
Which is just one of the myriad reasons to hate the NFL.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:45 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:27 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:07 pm
MrCraig wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

1. When did a lawsuit being frivolous ever prevent it from being filed?
2. The NFL is a private company and can make their own rules. Thankfully they’ve held their ground on their 3 year rule to this point.

I hope they value college football as their primary feeder system and don’t actively seek to undermine it.

If he still reads this message board I’d love Gonzo’s opinion (or any other lawyers here) on that hypothetical suit’s merits.
Oh, my bad. I didn’t realize you were one of the people that thinks athletes shouldn’t be paid for their talents until a certain age and should be exploited by a system that claims it has their best interests at heart while the athletes sacrifice their time and health in exchange for “an education.”
✊🏼🍆💦
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:58 pm

AppState89 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:20 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Maybe this should be posted somewhere else, but since this thread is about transfers… has anyone else seen our old friend Kesean whining on Twitter? There’s 2-3 other tweets similar to this.

This whining is just a cancer in the locker room. We don't need him here with that attitude anyway. Hope the App State door didn't hit him to darn hard in his App on the way out!!
He might be one the guys Henny talked about on Black and Gold Podcast.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:10 pm

appstate77 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:58 pm
AppState89 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

I didn't even think about that. He just might be.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:32 pm

APPdiesel wrote:

Someone might try that, but they would not win that case. While the Supremes did significantly limit the NCAA's ability to govern student athletes, the basis is that they are in fact student athletes and since college is the only place they can be students athletes the NCAA could not run it like a monopoly and limit them as student athletes. If they are not students, which involves going to class, having appropriate grades, working toward graduation, etc, then they would not even be eligible to be student athletes and participate in college sports. Now, they could potentially make strides in things like gpa requirements, hours necessary to be considered a student, acceptance of transfer credits, etc but it is hard to see the current court doing things like that because the current rules are reasonably related to the student athletes obtaining college degrees.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:17 am

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:28 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

I’m just explaining the reason for the rule. The NFL is trying to protect players from going too early and failing to make it. It is a way more physical game than any other sport and you even saw the NBA at least make the kids go to college for a year after seeing such a high fail rate among early entries.

I am of the opinion that they shouldn’t try to protect them anymore and let the players make these mistakes. Let them declare at any time and if they don’t make it then that is their decision. No reason for the NFL to even care if the players don’t.

FYI, I don’t like the NFL much either and I rarely watch it.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:18 am

appstate77 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:58 pm
AppState89 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

I’m pretty sure he is. He will fit in nicely at Marshall.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:03 am

If , and I hope it's never, the "student" part of student athlete is removed , I am out .

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:16 am

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:03 am
If , and I hope it's never, the "student" part of student athlete is removed , I am out .
I understand and agree to an extent. If that happens to sports like football and basketball, then I would likely switch my donation to sport specific programs like softball and baseball, etc.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:33 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:17 am
MrCraig wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:28 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

I’m just explaining the reason for the rule. The NFL is trying to protect players from going too early and failing to make it. It is a way more physical game than any other sport and you even saw the NBA at least make the kids go to college for a year after seeing such a high fail rate among early entries.

I am of the opinion that they shouldn’t try to protect them anymore and let the players make these mistakes. Let them declare at any time and if they don’t make it then that is their decision. No reason for the NFL to even care if the players don’t.

FYI, I don’t like the NFL much either and I rarely watch it.
Exactly. And every other professional sports organization in America has some sort of minor league system that both develops talent and protects athletes from massive failure. NBA still has their one year rule, but they also created the G League as a option for players who might be on the precipice of hanging in the NBA. Meanwhile, the NFL is happy to let the NCAA be their free minor league.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:29 pm

Stonewall wrote:
At the very top level of P5 basketball the “student” part is already gone. One season and off to the NBA.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:30 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:16 am
Stonewall wrote:
I understand and agree to an extent. If that happens to sports like football and basketball, then I would likely switch my donation to sport specific programs like softball and baseball, etc.
I would think that all sports would be treated alike , would have to be under the scenario , which again I hope never happens.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:38 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:29 pm
Stonewall wrote:
At the very top level of P5 basketball the “student” part is already gone. One season and off to the NBA.
I don't follow anyone outside the Sunbelt until March but yes , at the top of the top.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:53 am

I've wished for years that they either require 3 years of college (like baseball does) or simply let any high school graduate go directly to the pros- even for football. A whole bunch of this crap would go away.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:09 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:53 am
I've wished for years that they either require 3 years of college (like baseball does) or simply let any high school graduate go directly to the pros- even for football. A whole bunch of this crap would go away.
As was said above, the NFL doesn't have a minor league like baseball and basketball. I think everyone agrees that the NFL is a much more physical game than even college and especially high school so it is just too big a jump from HS to NFL so don't even let it happen. Absence an NFL minor league, college becomes the de facto step. Also as was said, MANY careers have some form of requirements, either education or apprenticeship programs, before you can work in that field. As I see it, if you want to play pro football this is the process you have to navigate.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:08 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:09 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
As was said above, the NFL doesn't have a minor league like baseball and basketball. I think everyone agrees that the NFL is a much more physical game than even college and especially high school so it is just too big a jump from HS to NFL so don't even let it happen. Absence an NFL minor league, college becomes the de facto step. Also as was said, MANY careers have some form of requirements, either education or apprenticeship programs, before you can work in that field. As I see it, if you want to play pro football this is the process you have to navigate.
The SEC and BIG10 seems to be trying to become the unofficial NFL minor league, the way they are positioning themselves for TV money, they'll be the only conferences able to bid up the market and afford the obvious elite football player.
BLACK SATURDAY

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:22 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:08 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:09 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
The SEC and BIG10 seems to be trying to become the unofficial NFL minor league, the way they are positioning themselves for TV money, they'll be the only conferences able to bid up the market and afford the obvious elite football player.
At one point this year Alabama had 60 guys on NFL rosters. Thats a full team + a few. I think Georgia and LSU were next up with mid 40's on rosters. Wonder what the makeup of the SEC is of the NFL...might be 25%. They are the minor leagues of the NFL.

Edit- See link- https://www.secsports.com/article/34598 ... sters-2022

32 teams, 53 man roster= 1696 players
SEC - 369 players/1696= 21.7%. Woah.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”