Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Possible transfer situations

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Possible transfer situations

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:13 pm

Unless these schools/conferences break away from the NCAA which caps scholarships at 85, I don’t see how this waters down the talent pool. You still have the same number of spots for the same number of kids. The SEC schools aren’t losing kids to a Sun Belt school. I’m not saying that it can’t happen, or that it won’t happen, but there are a lot of variables in play to make a determination whether it is a good thing or bad.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:27 pm

311neers wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:22 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:08 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:09 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:53 am
I've wished for years that they either require 3 years of college (like baseball does) or simply let any high school graduate go directly to the pros- even for football. A whole bunch of this crap would go away.
As was said above, the NFL doesn't have a minor league like baseball and basketball. I think everyone agrees that the NFL is a much more physical game than even college and especially high school so it is just too big a jump from HS to NFL so don't even let it happen. Absence an NFL minor league, college becomes the de facto step. Also as was said, MANY careers have some form of requirements, either education or apprenticeship programs, before you can work in that field. As I see it, if you want to play pro football this is the process you have to navigate.
The SEC and BIG10 seems to be trying to become the unofficial NFL minor league, the way they are positioning themselves for TV money, they'll be the only conferences able to bid up the market and afford the obvious elite football player.
At one point this year Alabama had 60 guys on NFL rosters. Thats a full team + a few. I think Georgia and LSU were next up with mid 40's on rosters. Wonder what the makeup of the SEC is of the NFL...might be 25%. They are the minor leagues of the NFL.

Edit- See link- https://www.secsports.com/article/34598 ... sters-2022

32 teams, 53 man roster= 1696 players
SEC - 369 players/1696= 21.7%. Woah.
I had not thought about it in those terms .Interesting.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:32 pm

What is the breakdown of conference representation in those 369?

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:03 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:13 pm
Unless these schools/conferences break away from the NCAA which caps scholarships at 85, I don’t see how this waters down the talent pool. You still have the same number of spots for the same number of kids. The SEC schools aren’t losing kids to a Sun Belt school. I’m not saying that it can’t happen, or that it won’t happen, but there are a lot of variables in play to make a determination whether it is a good thing or bad.
The scholarship limit doesn’t exist any longer. Just this past season a BYU booster gave NIL deals to all 37 of their walk-ons equivalent to the full cost of attendance. That essentially took them from 85 to 122 scholarships. I’m sure BYU isn’t the only school that did it, or will do it. If a school has enough NIL money they basically have an unlimited roster. If Alabama tells a kid they don’t have anymore scholarships, but they’ll give him a big NIL deal to walk-on, that kid is going to Alabama.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:12 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:32 pm
https://www.991thesportsanimal.com/2022 ... ne-school/

This article cites the full 90 man rosters during the summer so it includes 509 SEC players out of a total 2,880 players. Similar percentage wise but makes sense that it is slightly lower as theoretically the SEC players should be on more 53 man rosters and the other 37 players would consist of more non-SEC players.

AFC = 274 players
NFC = 235 players

I think the most interesting aspect of it is geography. The west coast teams have the fewest amount of SEC players.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:36 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
I mean we just lost a recruit to become a walk on at Tennessee because of a NIL deal that paid his scholarship. So, while 85 scholarships still remains, there are several teams that essentially have more than 85 scholarships because of NIL deals.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:56 pm

But as 94 points out - they still can play only 11 at a time - if you have 122 players, I totally 100% believe there will just be that many more unhappy guys looking at the portal ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:20 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:56 pm
But as 94 points out - they still can play only 11 at a time - if you have 122 players, I totally 100% believe there will just be that many more unhappy guys looking at the portal ---
I believe the haves will not have as much as everyone believes they will have with the NIL deals. I believe that automatic qualifiers for a college football FBS playoff will dramatically change where players go. The haves will still have, but the have-nots will have more than they have had in the past. The biggest thing is the players will be where they want to be and that has to make for a better locker room experience.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:42 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:36 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
I mean we just lost a recruit to become a walk on at Tennessee because of a NIL deal that paid his scholarship. So, while 85 scholarships still remains, there are several teams that essentially have more than 85 scholarships because of NIL deals.
I view that as an unusual situation, but one that is valid. He is a local kid that they wanted but didn’t have room. But it supports my statement above that the SEC isn’t going to lose a kid to the Sun Belt. The NIl is in its infancy and given the recent events at Florida, it will be interesting to see how it plays out with recruiting. There needs to be some expectations of ROI for these collectives spending the money. Buying a QB that sits because he isn’t the best on the team will not sit well with the collectives. Like I said, it can go anyway at this time.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:57 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
To your point, if a guy wants to really play he will not want to sit on the bench at SEC. We will take those guys always.

NIL does not guarantee playing time.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:16 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:57 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
To your point, if a guy wants to really play he will not want to sit on the bench at SEC. We will take those guys always.

NIL does not guarantee playing time.
Apparently not. We don't want those 4 and 5* backups if they dont fit our scheme...

Have any major P5 schools tried to take any of our players? I bet someone tried tampering with Cam before last year.
Last edited by 311neers on Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:18 am

AppSt94 wrote:
https://www.secsports.com/article/34598 ... sters-2022

Not sure if this is what you were asking or not, but this site has each college broken out to see what schools make up the 369. I see someone answered it about AFC/NFC so now hopefully one of us has this answered haha!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:19 am

I find it fascinating and really hard to believe that any reputable and respected company would actually pay some recently graduated high school kid money to play at any university. Do they really see an ROI for a kid who will probably stand on the sidelines for a year or more? Crazy. I can realistically see giving a deal to a sophomore or junior who legitimately will play at a higher level and is a player people want to watch. At that point the NIL money is more of a bribe to entice that player to remain at the school.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:34 am

Kinda of course but NIL related. If a kid gets an IL deal, does it affect his qualifications for financial aid?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:38 am

311neers wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:18 am
AppSt94 wrote:

Not sure if this is what you were asking or not, but this site has each college broken out to see what schools make up the 369. I see someone answered it about AFC/NFC so now hopefully one of us has this answered haha!
Thanks. This is what I was looking for. The link in the previous post wasn’t working for me. My initial question was out of curiosity of how many of these players came from the mediocre schools in the SEC versus the blue bloods.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:58 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:38 am
311neers wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:18 am
AppSt94 wrote:

Thanks. This is what I was looking for. The link in the previous post wasn’t working for me. My initial question was out of curiosity of how many of these players came from the mediocre schools in the SEC versus the blue bloods.
Very top heavy, but each school represented pretty well, even Vandy!

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:05 am

pop5app wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:34 am
Kinda of course but NIL related. If a kid gets an IL deal, does it affect his qualifications for financial aid?
I may be wrong, AppStateNews can answer this one for sure, but I don't think it affects his qualifications for financial aid. My opinion, players like Bryce Young who has a NIL deal in the range of 3.2 million, should pay his way, but I bet he still has a scolly.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:16 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:42 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
I view that as an unusual situation, but one that is valid. He is a local kid that they wanted but didn’t have room. But it supports my statement above that the SEC isn’t going to lose a kid to the Sun Belt. The NIl is in its infancy and given the recent events at Florida, it will be interesting to see how it plays out with recruiting. There needs to be some expectations of ROI for these collectives spending the money. Buying a QB that sits because he isn’t the best on the team will not sit well with the collectives. Like I said, it can go anyway at this time.
And what you said is why many are against all this because it’s not even the intended purpose. NIL is suppose to be a player being allowed to do a commercial, get paid off a bobble head doll, use their social media reach to advertise a product, etc. Football is seeing folks just buy players intending to get a stud QB. These collectives will not want to keep paying a QB who doesn’t win them games. Football has folks buying players with intent of hoping to buy wins but if you look at other sports NIL is working how it’s suppose to.

There is a gymnast at LSU who is not even the best but has a huge following because she is attractive and she has a huge NIL deal.

Here is a link to her story: https://www.225batonrouge.com/our-city/ ... ls-country

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:56 am

Attractive.Yes.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:55 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:16 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:42 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
And what you said is why many are against all this because it’s not even the intended purpose. NIL is suppose to be a player being allowed to do a commercial, get paid off a bobble head doll, use their social media reach to advertise a product, etc. Football is seeing folks just buy players intending to get a stud QB. These collectives will not want to keep paying a QB who doesn’t win them games. Football has folks buying players with intent of hoping to buy wins but if you look at other sports NIL is working how it’s suppose to.

There is a gymnast at LSU who is not even the best but has a huge following because she is attractive and she has a huge NIL deal.

Here is a link to her story: https://www.225batonrouge.com/our-city/ ... ls-country
Hey, that's not fair.

But I guess that is how the real world works, isn't it?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”