Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Possible transfer situations

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Possible transfer situations

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:48 am

Clemson QB confidence is shot. He had a couple of wide open receivers..one he short hopped and the other on the square out was 3 to 5 yards off target..I hope he gets his confidence/mojo back as he seems like a great teammate. I do believe he could be great in SBC from an RPO perspective if...and big if... he could gets confidence back.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:05 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:40 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:10 am
GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:28 pm
Lol do we throw McCall a line? There’s 0% chance he’s going back to Conway now.
Why do you think there is no chance McCall goes back to Coastal? Along the same lines, we could go for another Clemson guy. Don’t see DJU going back to Clemson. Truthfully, I really hope somebody we have on the roster is the guy.
What is appealing to you about DJ? Serious question. He got benched last night because he was wildly inaccurate. Do you overlook that because he is a P5?
Kid has shown he has talent. I would look at him kinda like Chase. Struggled at times but most do. My comment was based more on the Clemson connection than anything.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:09 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:23 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Why do you think there is no chance McCall goes back to Coastal? Along the same lines, we could go for another Clemson guy. Don’t see DJU going back to Clemson. Truthfully, I really hope somebody we have on the roster is the guy.
What message do you send to our players (especially the QB's) who were recruited to play here and waited their turn if you simply keep looking for some 2 year rental who didn't light up the stat sheet where they played? We have a potential stud waiting to roll next season.
I agree, said as much, “hope we have the guy on the roster”. That said QB’s more than anybody else better get use to transfers coming in to complete for the starting job. Not sure I like it but it is what it is. I also kind of remember being 19 or 20 and at that point in time bringing in competition would have made me simply want to prove that I could take on the world. Nothing wrong with a challenge.
Last edited by Mjohn1988 on Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:11 am

Criswell from UNC just hit the portal..there will be more to follow..I would think Leary from State may be in portal..the freshman and the 4th string guy looked pretty good...there will be others.
The coaches know what we need to be successful next year. If we have that in our QB room, great. If not, need to be aggressive and find that person.
#99ForPresident!!

Pikapp79

Unread post by Pikapp79 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:15 am

Criswell would be a slam dunk.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:06 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:05 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:40 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
What is appealing to you about DJ? Serious question. He got benched last night because he was wildly inaccurate. Do you overlook that because he is a P5?
Kid has shown he has talent. I would look at him kinda like Chase. Struggled at times but most do. My comment was based more on the Clemson connection than anything.
That makes perfect sense.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:07 pm

Pikapp79 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:15 am
What makes Criswell a better option than Burger? What has Criswell done in college this far?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:28 pm

I would be pretty surprised if Criswell doesn't have multiple P5 opportunities to choose from.

Leary could stay at State, transfer to another P5 or enter the draft. Can't see him transferring to a G5.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:33 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:07 pm
Pikapp79 wrote:
What makes Criswell a better option than Burger? What has Criswell done in college this far?
Well, for one, he’s a superior prospect. Criswell was a 4* with offers from some of the nations biggest programs. He apparently went toe to toe with Drake Maye all offseason, and Maye was a heisman candidate up until a few weeks ago.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love nothing more than for Burger to develop into the next ZT/TL for us to give us some stability at that position for the foreseeable future. But we know next to nothing about him or his game right now.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:39 pm

At some point we’re going to have play our recruited QBs rather than portal QBs or we’ll lose them and not be able to recruit more. If McBride stays, he’s a capable QB who can start or push Burger and then be a more than capable backup. I think we should go with what have unless there’s someone who wants to come to Boone who is just too good to pass up.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:55 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:33 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Pikapp79 wrote:
Well, for one, he’s a superior prospect. Criswell was a 4* with offers from some of the nations biggest programs. He apparently went toe to toe with Drake Maye all offseason, and Maye was a heisman candidate up until a few weeks ago.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love nothing more than for Burger to develop into the next ZT/TL for us to give us some stability at that position for the foreseeable future. But we know next to nothing about him or his game right now.
Same can be said about Criswell. I get that he has sat behind Howell, but he finished second to a RS Freshman. Granted, Maye isn’t a slouch, but there isn’t anything tangible that tells me that Criswell is actually better than what we have. He is still a prospect. Just my opinion.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:56 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
What message do you send to our players (especially the QB's) who were recruited to play here and waited their turn if you simply keep looking for some 2 year rental who didn't light up the stat sheet where they played? We have a potential stud waiting to roll next season.
Been thinking about this question today. After some time my head has overruled my heart. We can’t be anything close to as successful as we want to be if guys can “wait their turn” to play. Ever start at every position needs to be earned. My preference would be that we recruit guys out of high school who earn those starting position. We should have very few guys on scholarship who aren’t mad because Clemson, UNC, State or Georgia didn’t give them an offer. We need guys who just missed at the P5 level and have something to prove. Zac Thomas and Thomas Hennigan are good examples. We most certainly don’t need guys who go, crap, they just picked up somebody who’s going to take my spot. Let’s say just as an example DJU hits the portal and Chase gives him a call and he ends up at App. For the record I don’t think that’s going to happen but stick with me. If we have that “dude” that “guy” in our QB room it should go something like this. The next time he, the guy we recruited out of high school, sees coach Clark he will smile at him and ask this question. So Coach, do you think DJU is going to be happier being my back up than he was going to be at Clemson. If we don’t have that guy in the locker room now then we probably don’t have our guy. We also need a coach that would look back at that kid and say, that’s why you’re here. Let me know what you need to make that happen. I’m going to be your biggest cheerleader. Bottom line, we need guys who want to compete against the very best. We need guys who will get pissed off if the opposing teams best player is hurt and can’t play, because they wanted to beat him, not his back up.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:10 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:56 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Been thinking about this question today. After some time my head has overruled my heart. We can’t be anything close to as successful as we want to be if guys can “wait their turn” to play. Ever start at every position needs to be earned. My preference would be that we recruit guys out of high school who earn those starting position. We should have very few guys on scholarship who aren’t mad because Clemson, UNC, State or Georgia didn’t give them an offer. We need guys who just missed at the P5 level and have something to prove. Zac Thomas and Thomas Hennigan are good examples. We most certainly don’t need guys who go, crap, they just picked up somebody who’s going to take my spot. Let’s say just as an example DJU hits the portal and Chase gives him a call and he ends up at App. For the record I don’t think that’s going to happen but stick with me. If we have that “dude” that “guy” in our QB room it should go something like this. The next time he, the guy we recruited out of high school, sees coach Clark he will smile at him and ask this question. So Coach, do you think DJU is going to be happier being my back up than he was going to be at Clemson. If we don’t have that guy in the locker room now then we probably don’t have our guy. We also need a coach that would look back at that kid and say, that’s why you’re here. Let me know what you need to make that happen. I’m going to be your biggest cheerleader. Bottom line, we need guys who want to compete against the very best. We need guys who will get pissed off if the opposing teams best player is hurt and can’t play, because they wanted to beat him, not his back up.
agreed...just because a player has been here doesn't guaranteed a starting spot. If the best player we have on our team is the "the man", "the man" will win any competition in spring and fall practice no matter who we bring in. Personally believe strong competition makes one a better player. No matter the position, the coaches should go after the best players available out of HS or portal. It is somewhat new day with portal and we need to get on board to make us a better team. The coaches know what they need to make App. St. better and hopefully they can land top recruits, whether HS or portal, so we contend for Championships.
When someone comes to App. St. for 1 years, 2 years or 3 years..they are not "rentals". Once you come to App. St., they are family and App. St. for life....See Chase Brice, Corey Sutton, etc.
Last edited by BambooRdApp on Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#99ForPresident!!

Yosef1986

Unread post by Yosef1986 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:13 pm

Transfer portal has a purpose - to get players to fill in gaps if/as needed. I am a fan of great recruiting and if this players earn the spot - play them. I understand bringing in competition - however, I believe we may have up and comers already on the roster. It is a complicated balance and one that could change the dynamic in the locker room. May be for the good - or maybe not.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:25 pm

Yosef1986 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:13 pm
Transfer portal has a purpose - to get players to fill in gaps if/as needed. I am a fan of great recruiting and if this players earn the spot - play them. I understand bringing in competition - however, I believe we may have up and comers already on the roster. It is a complicated balance and one that could change the dynamic in the locker room. May be for the good - or maybe not.
Bingo!

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:46 pm

Nobody that comes from the transfer portal is a slam dunk. If they were, they wouldn’t be in the transfer portal.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:53 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Pikapp79 wrote:
I’m not saying I’d want him, but he would be great to have for game planning against UNC next year.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:08 pm

It really looks like Dabo's stubbornness or poor decision making may have cost his team a shot at the playoffs. He said the right coach stuff like their were fumbles, missed tackles, etc that led to those losses but you know damn well he knows that he should have benched DJU.

In regards to our QB decisions Chase played great for the most part. He came in last year when we really had no alternative ready to go. Does anyone really believe that he was going to get beat out in the Spring/Fall camps? What exactly was going to happen for Berger to unseat him in practice? I totally agree that you go with the best but unless we can talk a legit starter to come to Boone we need to roll with the guy we recruited. How many P5 guys with multiple stars simply aren't that good and never pan out? Too many people get enamored with those stars and offers. Look at a whole bunch of the current NFL QB's and where they played in college.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:25 pm

kesean brown in portal

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:46 pm

Report: Clemson QB DJ Uiagalelei plans to enter transfer portal
https://wyff4.com/article/clemson-footb ... r/42145513

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic