Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Possible transfer situations

t4pizza
School: Appalachian State

Re: Possible transfer situations

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:18 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:19 am
I find it fascinating and really hard to believe that any reputable and respected company would actually pay some recently graduated high school kid money to play at any university. Do they really see an ROI for a kid who will probably stand on the sidelines for a year or more? Crazy. I can realistically see giving a deal to a sophomore or junior who legitimately will play at a higher level and is a player people want to watch. At that point the NIL money is more of a bribe to entice that player to remain at the school.
The companies that are doing this without regard to a ROI are the closely held family companies of alums that have large enough egos to spend despite an expected ROI. Their team winning is the only real ROI that concerns them. Obviously, the Dr. Pepper's of the world only give deals to student/athletes that they believe will enhance their brand and have a positive ROI, seemed to work with Brice Young this year but not so much with Clemson's qb last year. My understanding of most collectives is that they are made up of alums donating more so than corporations. The corporations will just go make a deal with the student/athlete directly.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:24 pm

AppState89 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:05 am
pop5app wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:34 am
Kinda of course but NIL related. If a kid gets an IL deal, does it affect his qualifications for financial aid?
I may be wrong, AppStateNews can answer this one for sure, but I don't think it affects his qualifications for financial aid. My opinion, players like Bryce Young who has a NIL deal in the range of 3.2 million, should pay his way, but I bet he still has a scolly.
It would not have any affect on receiving a scholarship but it would probably have a significant effect on need based financial aid. All students (and parents) wishing to obtain aid must complete FAFSA forms listing their income, the NIL would have to be included. So for need based financial aid, it would probably make a difference depending on how large he NIL deal is. Of course, there is plenty of non need based financial aid (student loans) that I doubt would be effected regardless of how much the NIL deal is worth.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:06 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:55 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:16 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:42 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:36 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:13 pm
Unless these schools/conferences break away from the NCAA which caps scholarships at 85, I don’t see how this waters down the talent pool. You still have the same number of spots for the same number of kids. The SEC schools aren’t losing kids to a Sun Belt school. I’m not saying that it can’t happen, or that it won’t happen, but there are a lot of variables in play to make a determination whether it is a good thing or bad.
I mean we just lost a recruit to become a walk on at Tennessee because of a NIL deal that paid his scholarship. So, while 85 scholarships still remains, there are several teams that essentially have more than 85 scholarships because of NIL deals.
I view that as an unusual situation, but one that is valid. He is a local kid that they wanted but didn’t have room. But it supports my statement above that the SEC isn’t going to lose a kid to the Sun Belt. The NIl is in its infancy and given the recent events at Florida, it will be interesting to see how it plays out with recruiting. There needs to be some expectations of ROI for these collectives spending the money. Buying a QB that sits because he isn’t the best on the team will not sit well with the collectives. Like I said, it can go anyway at this time.
And what you said is why many are against all this because it’s not even the intended purpose. NIL is suppose to be a player being allowed to do a commercial, get paid off a bobble head doll, use their social media reach to advertise a product, etc. Football is seeing folks just buy players intending to get a stud QB. These collectives will not want to keep paying a QB who doesn’t win them games. Football has folks buying players with intent of hoping to buy wins but if you look at other sports NIL is working how it’s suppose to.

There is a gymnast at LSU who is not even the best but has a huge following because she is attractive and she has a huge NIL deal.

Here is a link to her story: https://www.225batonrouge.com/our-city/ ... ls-country
Hey, that's not fair.

But I guess that is how the real world works, isn't it?
I'm not complaining one bit. I just find it funny. I think the article on the LSU gymnast is interesting because that would likely surprise many but she appears to be worth it.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:28 am

Truly fascinating that so many people will "follow " someone just to watch them do mundane things. My wife has a few friends who watch Tik-Tok (I have never seen anything other than reposts on Facebook) and they are absolutely obsessed with it. The number of people who make big money for doing very little is astounding.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:11 am

Stop clicking and watching. Cameras are pointed at what people want to see and that is a reflection of each society.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:11 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:28 am
Truly fascinating that so many people will "follow " someone just to watch them do mundane things. My wife has a few friends who watch Tik-Tok (I have never seen anything other than reposts on Facebook) and they are absolutely obsessed with it. The number of people who make big money for doing very little is astounding.
Its the ultimate instant gratification addiction. That all any of those apps are about. They were created to be addicting and to make money. Its all some people can do anymore. Just sit around and watch tik tok.

Btw, holy cow this thread 700+ posts and 50k+ views. I think ill pass on accidentally starting the running recruiting thread again.

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:00 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:11 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:28 am
Its the ultimate instant gratification addiction. That all any of those apps are about. They were created to be addicting and to make money. Its all some people can do anymore. Just sit around and watch tik tok.

Btw, holy cow this thread 700+ posts and 50k+ views. I think ill pass on accidentally starting the running recruiting thread again.
Maybe we should start adding "Tik-Tok" like videos to our posts! Add a goofy outfit and dance and go for it. My wife usually interjects the word goofy anytime I dance so I have that part down! Get enough views to raise money for Yosef.

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:53 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:36 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:13 pm
Unless these schools/conferences break away from the NCAA which caps scholarships at 85, I don’t see how this waters down the talent pool. You still have the same number of spots for the same number of kids. The SEC schools aren’t losing kids to a Sun Belt school. I’m not saying that it can’t happen, or that it won’t happen, but there are a lot of variables in play to make a determination whether it is a good thing or bad.
I mean we just lost a recruit to become a walk on at Tennessee because of a NIL deal that paid his scholarship. So, while 85 scholarships still remains, there are several teams that essentially have more than 85 scholarships because of NIL deals.
Apparently UT has a crowdsourcing fundraiser option for NIL deals like LSU is creating. It could give programs with limited big-buck donors an option to be a little more competitive with NILs by pooling smaller individual donations into larger deals. I don't know if it makes sense for App State to consider.

https://www.businessreport.com/business ... traditions

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:42 pm

I’ll give to the Yosef Club, but paying a player directly is something I’ll never do.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:17 pm

Same.I am paying for their education, the value of which is potentially off the charts.Yes , they work for it , as did I .

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:41 am

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:17 pm
Same.I am paying for their education, the value of which is potentially off the charts.Yes , they work for it , as did I .
Capitalism at its finest *sarcasm*

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:02 pm

37 pages. it's been interesting and informative but couldn't daze have just Googled for us? j/k Just a jab at dazea nd his buddies like he likes to do me.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:25 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:42 pm
I’ll give to the Yosef Club, but paying a player directly is something I’ll never do.
If my customer base were in Western NC, or if I felt like it could have a positive impact on my business to justify it, I would pay a player direct. No problem.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:39 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:41 am
Stonewall wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:17 pm
Capitalism at its finest *sarcasm*
Comrade?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:40 pm

mike87 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:25 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
If my customer base were in Western NC, or if I felt like it could have a positive impact on my business to justify it, I would pay a player direct. No problem.
I get that, there is at a potential return, but as an individual I wouldn’t.

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:09 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:40 pm
mike87 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
The only crowdsourcing NIL I might contribute to would be one that provided a small monthly stipend ($100-200) to all players on the team for pocket money. The time devoted to football would make it difficult to work part-time for a little spending money. Agree that using it for ROI by a business can make sense. And if the business owner is also a fan, it is kind of like having your cake and eating it too.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:39 am

BayouApp wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:09 am
Saint3333 wrote:
mike87 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
The only crowdsourcing NIL I might contribute to would be one that provided a small monthly stipend ($100-200) to all players on the team for pocket money. The time devoted to football would make it difficult to work part-time for a little spending money. Agree that using it for ROI by a business can make sense. And if the business owner is also a fan, it is kind of like having your cake and eating it too.
They already get a stipend for spending money. Most of the scholarship football players are not struggling to make ends meet (can't say for certainty about other athletes as I only experienced being a football player). Sure, they have to be smart with their money, but the stipend is enough to live on. It is definitely hard to have a part time job in season though.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:37 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:39 am
BayouApp wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
mike87 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
They already get a stipend for spending money. Most of the scholarship football players are not struggling to make ends meet (can't say for certainty about other athletes as I only experienced being a football player). Sure, they have to be smart with their money, but the stipend is enough to live on. It is definitely hard to have a part time job in season though.
I am going to beat this drum again. Athletic trainers get no scholarship benefits, put in more hours, no stipend, and can't get a job in season. When those trainers get some benefits, then talk to me about paying players more than we already do.

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:50 am

AppStateNews wrote:
BayouApp wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
mike87 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
I did not know there is already a stipend for spending money. That's good.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:58 am

bcoach wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:37 am
AppStateNews wrote:
BayouApp wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
mike87 wrote:

I am going to beat this drum again. Athletic trainers get no scholarship benefits, put in more hours, no stipend, and can't get a job in season. When those trainers get some benefits, then talk to me about paying players more than we already do.
I agree with that -- to an extent. The student athletic trainers are getting hands on experience and signed up for it. They know going in to it that it's required time to get their degree.

Is it right? That's a different discussion (and I ultimately agree with you), but student athletic trainers are not considered staff by NCAA standards (at least they didn't used to be but everything changes) so
1) we can have unlimited of them and
2) they don't get the same NCAA mandated benefits student athletes get
3) Likewise, they don't have the same NCAA mandated restrictions

I know for a fact at App though, they do get the same academic benefits student athletes get (early registration, athletic focused advisors, parking, etc.)
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”