Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Next Steps

Saint3333

Next Steps

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:27 am

Let’s try and keep this constructive for at least the first page.

Parameter #1 no complaining about coaching decisions or lack of execution by players.

Parameter #2 you can’t buyout Clark, he will be our Head Coach next year.

Question: What are our next steps?

Step 1: assuming we aren’t bowling, announce we have a great core of young players. Dale Jones is retiring as well as a couple of other position coaches and we will conduct a national search.

Step 2: get the credit transfer legislation passed

Step 3: hit the portal line lineman and DBs

MrCraig
School: Appalachian State

Re: Next Steps

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:35 am

Step 1: replace o-line coach.
Step 1B: replace Dale Jones if you can. If canning him loses big recruits or causes guys to transfer, keep him.

Step 2: hit the recruiting trail hard. We need depth and guys who are ready to play now. Despite missing a bowl game, we still have a lot of good will for beating Texas A&M and being on Gameday.

Step 3: hit the portal hard for the same reasons above.

Step 4: Barbay and SC have a long sit down and figure out whatever they need to do to make the offense better. (Call Drink and Satt for some professional development? Jk… sorta)

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:41 am

#1: All new DBs!!!!!
#2: OL
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:49 am

I had a good think about it this morning.

I’m fine if all the above happen. However I wouldn’t be too butt hurt if Dale Jones got 1 more year. We know he likes to blitz and yesterdays 3 man rush party showed that he knew it was damn if you do, damn if you don’t with our secondary this year.

However I thought in most if not all games his 2nd half adjustments were good and D played better in 2nd half.
I think 8-4 is the minimum next year for Clark to keep his job

More important to me to replace CB, OL, DL, and S&C.

I’d like to keep Dawsey and Barbay together for one more year to see if we can figure it out.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:52 am

Get a couple of big, experienced OL and maybe DL in the portal. Consider switching to a 4/3. We can't do anything with any 3 down linemen. Figure out the secondary issues.

Receivers and running backs are loaded. Hopefully Burger will be the guy.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:10 am

1: hit the portal for linemen….O and D

2: find a strength and conditioning coach and set some real goals for our current guys…for example….gain X pounds of muscle…improve your 40 time by X….improve your squat and bench max by X….we got manhandled all year long

3: find Clark a good mentor….don’t be afraid to pay for it and get him some training….not only in the X and O of football but in management….he appears to need help in both areas….we picked him…now let’s invest in him

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:14 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:10 am

2: find a strength and conditioning coach and set some real goals for our current guys…for example….gain X pounds of muscle…improve your 40 time by X….improve your squat and bench max by X….we got manhandled all year long

3: find Clark a good mentor….don’t be afraid to pay for it and get him some training….not only in the X and O of football but in management….he appears to need help in both areas….we picked him…now let’s invest in him
Now this is a constructive post!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:18 am

Christmas wish-list

All guys on team eligible to return...do return... if they are a positive to the team culture and team first mentality.

Portal for OL and DL ... several of them. Keep the 3/4 scheme. If we have the right players, it works. When we play P5s and the fact that more college football is moving to passing similar to Ga.So....QB release quickly. Need fast guys that can cover.

I would like to see some secondary additions from portal, however, I would like to see how our secondary progresses with more experience. I would like to see a safety similar to NC State's Ingle...once ingle identified RPO as run against UNC, he was full throttle to the RB. I want someone that wants to inflict pain on someone so they remember next time.

And, yes probably unpopular in this forum, I want to see us go into the portal for a QB. If Burger is the guy, he will win the competition.
Life is a competition.

Continued evolution of Coach Clark. He is our coach until he is not our coach. My mentality is to support him 100% until he is not. Hopefully, he grows and learns from the past 3 years.

Everts gets done whatever needs to get done to fix our issues on transfers. Yes, I want our kids to get a world class education.... however, college football is a business and we need to have a level playing field. App. St. has much to offer beyond football.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:25 am

May not be a popular opinion.... But those of us that pray can always pray for Clark's wisdom in guiding the young men on this football team. Both now and in the future. Wisdom is the ultimate asset in life. As riled up as I get about the team and games, I have to take a step back and remind myself that it's just a game. It isn't life or death. That's a hard thing to do for any of us.
Wisdom will go a long way in finding recruits as well.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:29 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:49 am
I had a good think about it this morning.

I’m fine if all the above happen. However I wouldn’t be too butt hurt if Dale Jones got 1 more year. We know he likes to blitz and yesterdays 3 man rush party showed that he knew it was damn if you do, damn if you don’t with our secondary this year.

However I thought in most if not all games his 2nd half adjustments were good and D played better in 2nd half.
I think 8-4 is the minimum next year for Clark to keep his job

More important to me to replace CB, OL, DL, and S&C.

I’d like to keep Dawsey and Barbay together for one more year to see if we can figure it out.
But, here's the crux. How do we know that we don't have talented coaches at the CB and DL positions? Going back to your theory on Jones, maybe we have a good CB coach who's players couldn't show their merit because we could not get a push up front and they had no help from our patched together group of safeties.

It may be shifting some position coaches vs. firing.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:36 am

Not sure CB/DL position coaches are part of the issue...but it wouldn't be surprising to see those same coaches move on for various reasons.

Kids in these groups played hard but we just didn't see incremental skill development over the course of the season. I'd imagine some of this will work itself out over the next few months (via Portal declarations and heart-to-heart talks with individual players).

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:41 am

Let the word get out that Clark is on the hot seat then Clark's potential recruits will bail like the ship is on fire. Sadly, our adversaries read this board as well and will use this against us. Happened time after time. Every kid wants to be assured he will get to play for whomever recruited him if possible.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:43 am

Hell, if he is going to get fired keep it on the QT. No use to scare the recruits and parents.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:45 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:14 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:10 am

Now this is a constructive post!
I missed a really big one. It’s along the lines of my 2 and 3 but it needs to be done in a very intentional way. We must find new and better ways to invest in the kids we have now. We brought these young men to App. We need these young men to succeed. It’s a win, win thing. Nothing will be better for them and nothing will be better for our university and our football program. Gillian and Clark need to do this ASAP. They need to get together and come up with some concrete steps to do a better job of growing these young men. As athletes, as students and as men. They need to call a meeting and make a commitment to these young men and their parents. THEY ARE NOT SOMETHING THAT CAN BE DISCARDED!!!

RunawayJM

Unread post by RunawayJM » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:58 am

1. Replace DC
2. Clark and OC need to sit down and figure out how plays will be called next year. I think Clark needs to completely remove himself from offensive play calling
3. Get in the portal for a QB, OL, and some DBs

Realize this is also window dressing and we’ll be looking for a new HC in a year.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:28 pm

Staffing changes will happen. They may not happen as quick as many on here want, but they will happen.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:36 pm

Somebody, for the love of God, get your hands on that analytics notebook or whatever it is and throw it the F___ away.

ncman071

Unread post by ncman071 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:43 pm

Honestly..i know paremeters said dont mention coaching...but...dont run the same play on 4th and 1 when it has not worked all season and with an o line not built for it...dont go for it on 4th down on our side of the 50 when theres still another qtr to be played...get our secondary fixed...and run our complete offense since next season we should have a mobile qb

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:00 pm

In all seriousness, well my last post was dead serious too but moving on…

I really don’t believe we’re that far off. I think Dale Jones was severely hamstrung by the well documented inexperience and depth issues in the secondary. The injuries at LB didn’t help. As far as everyone complaining about our lack of blitzing last night, do your homework. I knew going in we were not going to blitz. The book on the GS QB was he gets the ball out really fast. He’d only been sacked 7 times all year. It made no sense to blitz snd put further pressure on our secondary. So give DJ another year with hopefully more to work with and I think we’ll see good results.

On Shawn Clark, get over it. Whatever side of the fence you come down on, we can’t afford to fire him. He’s said the whole program will get a top to bottom re-evaluation. Lets give him a chance to do that.

He needs to take a long hard look at this stubborn play calling. Whether it him doing it or Barbay, but we need to have more than one play in the book for 1 yard plays. Over and over this season we ran the same thing and it NEVER worked!

Except for that Texas State game, all our losses were were one possession. Had only one of several key plays gone our way each of those could have been wins. We don’t need to burn the whole house down.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:02 pm

Could the above mentioned "mentor" be a fella named Gerald Hundley Moore?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”