Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Next Steps

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Next Steps

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:08 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:10 am
1: hit the portal for linemen….O and D

2: find a strength and conditioning coach and set some real goals for our current guys…for example….gain X pounds of muscle…improve your 40 time by X….improve your squat and bench max by X….we got manhandled all year long

3: find Clark a good mentor….don’t be afraid to pay for it and get him some training….not only in the X and O of football but in management….he appears to need help in both areas….we picked him…now let’s invest in him
Now this is a great post. Thank you

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:47 pm

Invest in a coordinator with HC experience at the FCS level. Someone needs management experience, new ideas and a backbone. At least we'd have a legit backup asst. Hc if something happened, cause right now, we have nothing. No hoodie chewers.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:40 pm

Saint - this is really the only thread I am going to read and thanks for starting one where thoughts can be looking ahead and not behind -
1. Coach Clark is NOT going to be fired - hell, we were 10-2 in regular season last year
2. We can't have a 6th offensive coordinator in 6 years -
3. Personally, I won't have a problem if our DC is retained - anyone who has followed APP football closely since moving to the 3-4 knows the heart and soul lies in the LB corp - last season we had 4 outstanding LBs with 3 returning and the other going to the NFL. I don't believe we had one game this season with all 3 of the returning guys on the field - Harrington has missed the whole season, Cobb has missed half the season and Hampton hasn't played in a month. We had 2 true freshmen CBs on the field - Our run defense was mostly solid all season
3- If what I hear second-third hand about the OL coach is true, then that might be the place for a change
4- I agree with those who say if we can't make a 1st down on a 2nd-1, 3rd-1 or 4th-1 by running up the middle then someone needs to change that hard-headed philosophy
5- I'm going to say this here as I'm not weeding thru the crap on some of the others - If "you" have something negative to say about Michael Hughes stick it up your ass - I watch a lot of college football and kickers on every team miss kicks - it's part of the game and I feel for him
6- If academics is not accepting transfer credits that are legit then that has to be changed - I was told some of Brice's credits from Duke were not accepted - that is crazy
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:43 pm

appstate77 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:02 pm
Could the above mentioned "mentor" be a fella named Gerald Hundley Moore?
Having Coach Moore in Clarks corner and in his ear couldn’t hurt but I honestly think he needs someone from the outside. Someone who isn’t emotionally involved or invested in the program or in Coach Clark. Sometimes when you’re too close to something you can’t see the real issues, you think you know what needs to be done before you even take an honest look at the whole situation.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:16 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:43 pm
appstate77 wrote:
Having Coach Moore in Clarks corner and in his ear couldn’t hurt but I honestly think he needs someone from the outside. Someone who isn’t emotionally involved or invested in the program or in Coach Clark. Sometimes when you’re too close to something you can’t see the real issues, you think you know what needs to be done before you even take an honest look at the whole situation.
Do they have clinics or like “professional development” seminars and whatnot for coaches? I think Barbay is a decent OC, the offense looked a little better in the last 2 games with him in the booth. I’d just like to see some fresh concepts. I feel like App has run the same, predictable offense for the last 3 years. And, of course, SC needs to let Barbay do his job calling the plays as well.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:24 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:16 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:43 pm
appstate77 wrote:
Do they have clinics or like “professional development” seminars and whatnot for coaches? I think Barbay is a decent OC, the offense looked a little better in the last 2 games with him in the booth. I’d just like to see some fresh concepts. I feel like App has run the same, predictable offense for the last 3 years. And, of course, SC needs to let Barbay do his job calling the plays as well.
Not sure but I bet there are. I know coaches spend time at other universities. If there isn’t something like this I would say it would be one heck of a good way for some folks in the know to make some money. I’m going to poke around the internet.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:43 pm

I found some stuff that Nike and Jeff Glazer offer. Seminars that offer a variety of different topics at different levels. Could be something the position coaches could use. I’m thinking more of a one on one thing for Coach Clark. Surly someone like Doug who travels in those circles could find someone, say, off the Sabin tree who would take some cash to spend some time on campus with coach. I simply couldn’t and wouldn’t be will to simply watch the guy fail again next year without even trying to get him some help.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:58 pm

Move DJ to linebackers coach and get a new DC.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:01 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:58 pm
And what coach go you get rid of to do that?
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:18 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:01 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Rek, me and you have had some disagreements on this board but let me get this one for you. Sorry News, all the coaches are great and they know everything there is to or will ever be known about coaching. None of them should ever be questioned and they should all have jobs and raises for as long as they want to stay in Boone. And we should never, ever, ever discuss anything on this board that would even hint at a criticism of any of our coaches.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:31 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:18 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Rek, me and you have had some disagreements on this board but let me get this one for you. Sorry News, all the coaches are great and they know everything there is to or will ever be known about coaching. None of them should ever be questioned and they should all have jobs and raises for as long as they want to stay in Boone. And we should never, ever, ever discuss anything on this board that would even hint at a criticism of any of our coaches.
That's no where close to what I asked, but go ahead and over react.

It was a legit question. If we do that, what coach goes? You do realize there are limits on number of on field coaches, right?

And there's no doubt there needs to be staffing changes. I'm just curious who Rek thinks is the one who needs to go if we retain Jones as LB coach...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:01 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:31 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:18 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
That's no where close to what I asked, but go ahead and over react.

It was a legit question. If we do that, what coach goes? You do realize there are limits on number of on field coaches, right?

And there's no doubt there needs to be staffing changes. I'm just curious who Rek thinks is the one who needs to go if we retain Jones as LB coach...
Just having some fun with you man. We all need to relax a little.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:22 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:00 pm
In all seriousness, well my last post was dead serious too but moving on…

I really don’t believe we’re that far off. I think Dale Jones was severely hamstrung by the well documented inexperience and depth issues in the secondary. The injuries at LB didn’t help. As far as everyone complaining about our lack of blitzing last night, do your homework. I knew going in we were not going to blitz. The book on the GS QB was he gets the ball out really fast. He’d only been sacked 7 times all year. It made no sense to blitz snd put further pressure on our secondary. So give DJ another year with hopefully more to work with and I think we’ll see good results.

On Shawn Clark, get over it. Whatever side of the fence you come down on, we can’t afford to fire him. He’s said the whole program will get a top to bottom re-evaluation. Lets give him a chance to do that.

He needs to take a long hard look at this stubborn play calling. Whether it him doing it or Barbay, but we need to have more than one play in the book for 1 yard plays. Over and over this season we ran the same thing and it NEVER worked!

Except for that Texas State game, all our losses were were one possession. Had only one of several key plays gone our way each of those could have been wins. We don’t need to burn the whole house down.
Agree with this +1000

All the question marks (other than WR) going into the year this past summer was the defense. All things considering, I thought the D progressed as the season went on. Our personal was too weak in the secondary and also with pass rush and just couldn't overcome them with all the key injuries. We played two true freshman at CB Saturday and it showed at times. Blitzing would have only put them in 1 on 1 situations that would not have been good, although a little baptism by fire might be a good thing.
Not to mention, our best defense position group (ILBs) are coached by DJ.

1) I think we have some young talent in the secondary, and at LB. Need to do a great job of developing them this summer.
2) Need to hit the portal for some DL depth, hopefully a pass rusher. This was our biggest weakness this year IMO.
3) What adjustments do we need to make with S&C. There was a time where we could impose our will on everyone we played. That isn't talent, its S&C, and we haven't been able to do that since year after Iron Mike left. *This is the biggest change we need IMO

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:28 pm

Thought about this more seriously after my initial post

1. Roll Neers is banned for life by legislative decree
2. No more helmet stripes

12-0 if these two things occur...
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:34 pm

We need to find a QB.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:17 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:28 pm
Thought about this more seriously after my initial post

1. Roll Neers is banned for life by legislative decree
2. No more helmet stripes

12-0 if these two things occur...
I would add lose the mustard helmets and stop handing out stuff at games. This is bad mojo. I never accept towels or whatever because we usually lose.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:36 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:34 pm
We need to find a QB.
Is this about Berger again?

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:37 pm

Stonewall wrote:
We need to find a QB.
Why do you say that? I’ll admit I didn’t watch Burger closely the few games he got playing time, but I know I saw some solid plays by him. Why can’t he be the guy?

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:40 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:37 pm
Stonewall wrote:
We need to find a QB.
Why do you say that? I’ll admit I didn’t watch Burger closely the few games he got playing time, but I know I saw some solid plays by him. Why can’t he be the guy?
It's FOMO man. It's all FOMO. That's Fear Of Missing Out. There has to be someone out there who's better than what we have, even when we don't know what we have. That way of thinking is what will drive a program into the ground.
WE ARE YOSEF!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:45 am

Rekdiver wrote:
I think this is key to our defense. DJ is a linebacker coach. App has been linebacker U for years. The list of guys he has developed has been really impressive. As DC I think he is still a linebacker coach. The down players fill the gaps so the linebackers can make the tackle. The linebackers drop into coverage and make the interception. The defense is linebacker centric. Put the man where he belongs, a position coach. Get a DC that involves all position groups.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”