Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

We are 6-8 Last 14 Games

Saint3333

Re: We are 6-8 Last 14 Games

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:46 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:11 am
appst89 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:08 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:52 am
Of the 20 teams who played in FBS championship games only 3 won the final 2 games -
One season is not a downward trend
But three is.
25-13 in the last three years. 4 of those against FCS. Only 7 wins against teams with winning records. Only 2 wins in games where we were favored by seven or less. 0-3 against UL, 1-2 against Coastal; both teams we had never lost to before.

It's a definite downward trend.

But, we have been told it will be fixed. All we can do is watch next year and see if that is the case.
The question that I have for the fans is will you be able to look past the record to notice positive change?
Some warned this was happened and were told we’re winning games. One side can clearly look past the record and notice a trend.

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:49 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:46 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
Of the 20 teams who played in FBS championship games only 3 won the final 2 games -
But three is.
25-13 in the last three years. 4 of those against FCS. Only 7 wins against teams with winning records. Only 2 wins in games where we were favored by seven or less. 0-3 against UL, 1-2 against Coastal; both teams we had never lost to before.

But, we have been told it will be fixed. All we can do is watch next year and see if that is the case.
The question that I have for the fans is will you be able to look past the record to notice positive change?
Some warned this was happened and were told we’re winning games. One side can clearly look past the record and notice a trend.
For once we agree.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:52 pm

We agree a lot, you focus on the few times we don’t. It’s ok.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:26 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:36 am
yosef69 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:12 am
AppSt94 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
But three is.

So we’re already making excuses for next years record?
So you are only going to be happy if we win at least 9 games as the floor?
I think 8 games would show progress

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:48 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:42 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:30 pm
We will be underdogs in 3 of the 4.
You think?
Yes.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:44 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:33 pm
I have been to every game this year, except Texas St. The losses I saw, coulda gone either way.

I have been going to App games since the early 1980s; season tickets holder since late 1990s.

What do I see this year? An enigma. We had players in place to do good (except maybe for DBs & that woulda been good, except for some classroom issues); & my biggest concern at the start of the season was a non-issue this year (the WRs). I was counting on Peoples being 100%, but he was not. The rest of the RBs filled in nicely. The Oline looked good sometimes & other times they weren't on the same page as everyone else. Chase Brice was the real deal; a great passer; I just wish he was more mobile. Tre Cobb's injury in the Coastal game was a real loss (& I think he was not 100% for some earlier games). The passing D needs some improvements; Nothing wrong with App's run D. Special teams were OK, not great. No blocked punts this year & there were numerous times where I thought we could have blocked more field goals if they had tried.

Despite criticism from this board, it appeared to me that the coaches were calling in plays which would have given us a chance to win. We had those chances; given that all losses but one were within one score. We just did not execute for whatever reason. There is a certain amount of luck to any sporting event (just ask England about that). This year we had more bad luck than good. That will change.

But, I still have not quite put my finger on what the problem was this year. Here's my best guess though. I think Coach Clark and all the players were just trying too hard. Laugh if you wish; fine. But, everything was in place for us to have a better season than we did. I think we just need to go out next year with more purpose to have fun & play hard. That starts with the HC. Coach Moore kept saying that same phrase for a reason (usually referring to the other team); but he sure implied that we were playing hard & having fun doing it. If I had any message for Coach Clark next year, it is this: Just have fun & play hard.

We'll be OK. All you doomsaying negative nellies, just need to chill & come visit our tailgate next year.
Great synopsis of the season. Way too many people live and die for this GAME/SPORT. It's almost no fun anymore. We got spoiled with 10 wins a year. Way back months ago I asked what would happen if we went 8-4. I expected a meltdown as 8-4 would have been a disaster season- didn't really expect 6-6. People need to look at the standings in every conference. There are traditionally strong programs who had bad seasons. Va Tech, Auburn, Miami, Wisconsin, etc. It happens. I used to say that the teams we play actually recruit, practice, coach and attempt to win just like we do.

Punt blocks- we got blocked against Marshall and in that game watched their punter drop and pick the ball up and get a kick away. One disastrous play and one that could have gone our way.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:55 pm

I don't know why some of us are sticking their heads in the sand about where we stand. There is enough data from whatever the collection of reasons why we have lost to show where we are headed from where we peaked. Bottom line is good teams find ways to win and not find ways to lose. Unless we magically portal in our needs next year, expect the same trajectory to continue...sub .500? I'm a big of a homer as any of you, and it sucks because we shouldn't be having these doom threads, but it is what it is.
BLACK SATURDAY

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:05 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:44 pm
AppAlum1 wrote:
I have been to every game this year, except Texas St. The losses I saw, coulda gone either way.

I have been going to App games since the early 1980s; season tickets holder since late 1990s.

What do I see this year? An enigma. We had players in place to do good (except maybe for DBs & that woulda been good, except for some classroom issues); & my biggest concern at the start of the season was a non-issue this year (the WRs). I was counting on Peoples being 100%, but he was not. The rest of the RBs filled in nicely. The Oline looked good sometimes & other times they weren't on the same page as everyone else. Chase Brice was the real deal; a great passer; I just wish he was more mobile. Tre Cobb's injury in the Coastal game was a real loss (& I think he was not 100% for some earlier games). The passing D needs some improvements; Nothing wrong with App's run D. Special teams were OK, not great. No blocked punts this year & there were numerous times where I thought we could have blocked more field goals if they had tried.

Despite criticism from this board, it appeared to me that the coaches were calling in plays which would have given us a chance to win. We had those chances; given that all losses but one were within one score. We just did not execute for whatever reason. There is a certain amount of luck to any sporting event (just ask England about that). This year we had more bad luck than good. That will change.

But, I still have not quite put my finger on what the problem was this year. Here's my best guess though. I think Coach Clark and all the players were just trying too hard. Laugh if you wish; fine. But, everything was in place for us to have a better season than we did. I think we just need to go out next year with more purpose to have fun & play hard. That starts with the HC. Coach Moore kept saying that same phrase for a reason (usually referring to the other team); but he sure implied that we were playing hard & having fun doing it. If I had any message for Coach Clark next year, it is this: Just have fun & play hard.

We'll be OK. All you doomsaying negative nellies, just need to chill & come visit our tailgate next year.
Great synopsis of the season. Way too many people live and die for this GAME/SPORT. It's almost no fun anymore. We got spoiled with 10 wins a year. Way back months ago I asked what would happen if we went 8-4. I expected a meltdown as 8-4 would have been a disaster season- didn't really expect 6-6. People need to look at the standings in every conference. There are traditionally strong programs who had bad seasons. Va Tech, Auburn, Miami, Wisconsin, etc. It happens. I used to say that the teams we play actually recruit, practice, coach and attempt to win just like we do.

Punt blocks- we got blocked against Marshall and in that game watched their punter drop and pick the ball up and get a kick away. One disastrous play and one that could have gone our way.
"There are traditionally strong programs who had bad seasons. Va Tech, Auburn, Miami, Wisconsin, etc."

I don't think those are very good examples considering Auburn and Wisconsin fired their coaches mid-season and Va Teach and Miami have 1st year head coaches because they fired their coaches last year.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:07 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:05 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:44 pm
AppAlum1 wrote:

"There are traditionally strong programs who had bad seasons. Va Tech, Auburn, Miami, Wisconsin, etc."

I don't think those are very good examples considering Auburn and Wisconsin fired their coaches mid-season and Va Teach and Miami have 1st year head coaches because they fired their coaches last year.
And none of those teams have really been dominant in the past decade, shoot- maybe 2 decades. Really just Auburn, they had 2017 and that's about it in the past 10 years. We were consistently dominating, those programs have been middling for the better part of 10-20 years now.

Yosef1986

Unread post by Yosef1986 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:35 pm

It just seemed to be one of those years. For me - it is still the eye test. Parts of games we looked unbeatable and others it seemed like a different team was on the filed. We did not maintain a competitive vibe in most games. Not sure where the blame lies - hopefully we correct in the off season.

Agree we are trending in the wrong direction - however, I do believe we will improve over the next year or so.

Being optimistic is better than the alternative.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:35 pm

appst89 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:10 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:58 am
appst89 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:51 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:42 am
I guess this board has become “Flight Line North”.
That's a better option than following the path of their program.
Agree 1000%. It’s the freaking doomsday prepper mentality that is killing me. 6-6 happened for a lot of reasons. The problems that caused the dip have been identified and are being addressed. Some solutions are an immediate remedy. Some will take time to correct. But between, Clark, Gillin, and Everts, they will get it done.
Fanbases that aren't used to losing will overreact. Ryan Day is 42-5 at Ohio State and their fanbase is calling for him to be fired because he's lost twice in a row to Michigan. I'd much rather for our fans to overreact than to stop caring. Apathy is way more dangerous than overzealousness.
Whether or not Clark goes and when, is up in the air. But if Clark goes, then Gillian should be looked at closely. Sure he knows how to spend money, but still. He hired Clark. Just sayin.'
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:47 pm

I believe it was Cooper Hodges who said we didn't play complimentary football. It seemed when the O needed the D to come up with a stop, it couldn't. And, when the D would come up with a stop or turnover, the O didn't convert or take advantage. That seems to be one of the differences in this year to years past.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:29 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:55 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:43 am
"I've seen three straight seasons of regression. "

Would you like to explain how finishing 10-2 last season with a division championship is regression???
6-8 in the last 14 games.
Only winning against treams with losing records, for the most part.
Losing to CC, JMU, GA S, UL 3x......
Got lucky with Troy
I'm not going to do the research, but I'd bet lots of our wins over the course of our history have come against teams who finished with losing records. This was a down year for sure, but statistics can always be manipulated. A season like this was inevitable after Drink's one and done year. We get Shawn for at least more year. I'm going to hold off until next season, but his seat is certainly hot.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:45 pm

unless we get double digit transfers, we're not winning 7 games next year with Clark.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:06 pm

Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:45 pm
unless we get double digit transfers, we're not winning 7 games next year with Clark.
Depends on who we get scheduled from the SBC West. If we play ULM and Arkansas State, I think we can pretty easily get 7 wins. I think Gardner-Webb, ODU, GA State, and GA Southern are likely wins, if Chadwell really goes to Liberty, he could leave Coastal in disarray like Napier left ULL. There's a lot that can happen between now and next season. I'm choosing to be cautiously optimistic.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:07 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:06 pm
Depends on who we get scheduled from the SBC West. If we play ULM and Arkansas State, I think we can pretty easily get 7 wins. I think Gardner-Webb, ODU, GA State, and GA Southern are likely wins, if Chadwell really goes to Liberty, he could leave Coastal in disarray like Napier left ULL. There's a lot that can happen between now and next season. I'm choosing to be cautiously optimistic.
Is Centeo at JMU gone after this year? They looked bad when he was out injured. Coastal looked even worse against JMU than we did without McCall.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:11 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:07 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Is Centeo at JMU gone after this year? They looked bad when he was out injured. Coastal looked even worse against JMU than we did without McCall.
Yes Centeo is gone. As is their top WR and defensive player. They will return everyone on their OL and DL I belive and add a transfer QB who went from USF --> Arizona --> JMU. Cignetti has made a name for himself in rejuvenating transfer QBs so I expect they'll still be a solid team. I expect the toughest in the East (besides App of course ;) ) to be Marshall, JMU and GaSo in that order. IMO The fact Marshall went 8-4 with their QB struggles is pretty impressive. If they figure that out, they will be tough. Luckily JMU will be our only tough road game this season it seems.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:28 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:07 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Bingo....A really good QB makes a lot of difference....hope we have a plan for 23
BLACK SATURDAY

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:36 pm

MrCraig wrote:
I believe we get USM at home and at ULM.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:44 am

hapapp wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:36 pm
MrCraig wrote:
I believe we get USM at home and at ULM.
Well there you go! USM is rising, but still very bearable. ULM is ULM. I would think that SHOULD be two wins. So USM, ULM, ODU, GSU, and GW should SHOULD be wins. One more win gets you bowl eligible. 2 gets you an improvement over this season. 3-4 gets you where we are used to being.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”