Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Hate Week 2023

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

Re: Hate Week 2023

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:17 am

People keep bringing up the talent level on the team and using it to give Clark a pass. Clark took over a Sunbelt championship team with 2 P5 wins in the prior year. If you can’t recruit talent coming off that year when can you? Ultimately he is responsible for the players we recruit. So why would he get a pass for a lack of talent? The lack of talent could be his worst failure, not something he gets a pass on.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:48 am

Coaching problem.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:27 am

The things that made App State football awesome was that you could point out to condescending P5 fans that we had the longest bowl win streak after moving up, the longest bowl appearance streak after moving up, and a 1,000 yd rusher every year for the last 10 years on top of the great upsets we are known for.

None of those things are true now under SC.

Btw, we have almost 2,500 rushing yards on the season. Could’ve easily had a 1,000 yard rusher if it wasn’t for that stupid, nonsensical RB rotation.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:28 am

Before anyone jumps in, I know that there are way more intangible things that make App football awesome, I was just talking about the awesome stats and streaks we used to have.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:44 am

Nationwide we finished 26th in offense and 36th in defense- YPG. Obviously we padded those stats with two patsy wins but I'm sure there are teams ahead of us who had east wins as well. To be top 40 in both categories has to count for something. We had a top 40 QB also. All that being said the close losses came down to coaching decisions. That FG miss never comes into play if we punch in the early opportunities for TD's.

Shitting the bed at Texas State is the worst loss. Getting punked at Marshall was horrible as well. Rolling up 600 yards of offense yesterday and settling for FG's was horrendous. Getting jammed up in the red zone and kicking FG's is what happens against a strong P5 not a crappy Belt opponent.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:16 am

Longrifle28 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:46 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:30 am
Longrifle28 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:11 am
Going to be a tough game. We are projected to win by ESPN, Sagarin, and Massey all by around 4.5 points.

Offenses look similar, they gain slightly more yards, we score slightly more points. Our defense has played a little better than theirs. They look equally bad run and pass defensively on paper, and we aren't very good against the pass (which is where they get most of their yards). We average scoring 34 points and giving up 25 points. They average scoring 32 points and giving up 31 points. I see them trying to win by throwing the ball and outscoring us.

We have five common opponents (CCU, GSU, JMU, ODU and UM) and both teams are 2 and 3 but arriving there by different means. They lost to GSU, Coastal and UM, and we lost to Coastal, JMU, and UM. Against the five common opponents we are averaging scoring 29 and giving up 25. They are averaging scoring 29 and giving up 32.

I hope we go into this game with the idea that this could be a high scoring race. Points will be scored by both teams and they can throw the ball. Can we get pressure? Can we get some stops? Will our offense go into this game knowing that this could be a high scoring affair and come up with a game plan to maximize points with our possessions. I hope we come out blazing and can keep it up for four quarters because I think we are going to need it. If we start slow we may dig a hole that we cannot get out of.
Huh? We are giving up 204 yards a game. Third best in the conference and a yard or two better than the 2021 team.
I wish we had only given up 204 yards in this game. Our pass defense sucks against good passing teams and we got torched AGAIN.
And that is what happens when you are playing true freshman and guys that have no business starting at the FBS level.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:18 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:16 am
Longrifle28 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Longrifle28 wrote:
Going to be a tough game. We are projected to win by ESPN, Sagarin, and Massey all by around 4.5 points.

Offenses look similar, they gain slightly more yards, we score slightly more points. Our defense has played a little better than theirs. They look equally bad run and pass defensively on paper, and we aren't very good against the pass (which is where they get most of their yards). We average scoring 34 points and giving up 25 points. They average scoring 32 points and giving up 31 points. I see them trying to win by throwing the ball and outscoring us.

We have five common opponents (CCU, GSU, JMU, ODU and UM) and both teams are 2 and 3 but arriving there by different means. They lost to GSU, Coastal and UM, and we lost to Coastal, JMU, and UM. Against the five common opponents we are averaging scoring 29 and giving up 25. They are averaging scoring 29 and giving up 32.

I hope we go into this game with the idea that this could be a high scoring race. Points will be scored by both teams and they can throw the ball. Can we get pressure? Can we get some stops? Will our offense go into this game knowing that this could be a high scoring affair and come up with a game plan to maximize points with our possessions. I hope we come out blazing and can keep it up for four quarters because I think we are going to need it. If we start slow we may dig a hole that we cannot get out of.
Huh? We are giving up 204 yards a game. Third best in the conference and a yard or two better than the 2021 team.
I wish we had only given up 204 yards in this game. Our pass defense sucks against good passing teams and we got torched AGAIN.
And that is what happens when you are playing true freshman and guys that have no business starting at the FBS level.
I really don’t understand this, pleases help me understand. Coaches recruit talent right? And this staff has largely been recruiting talent for 3 years now, right?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:18 am

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:27 am
The things that made App State football awesome was that you could point out to condescending P5 fans that we had the longest bowl win streak after moving up, the longest bowl appearance streak after moving up, and a 1,000 yd rusher every year for the last 10 years on top of the great upsets we are known for.

None of those things are true now under SC.

Btw, we have almost 2,500 rushing yards on the season. Could’ve easily had a 1,000 yard rusher if it wasn’t for that stupid, nonsensical RB rotation.
State fans are after us on twitter about being the best program in NC, rightfully so. We ran our mouth. Going to be a long off season for us but it’s still great to be a Mountaineer!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:00 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:18 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Longrifle28 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Longrifle28 wrote:

I really don’t understand this, pleases help me understand. Coaches recruit talent right? And this staff has largely been recruiting talent for 3 years now, right?
Sure thing. Look at our last five recruiting classes. (HS Only)

2018 would be a 5th year Sr. CB Price transfers to ETSU. Safety Kaleb Dawson -currently in the portal because he wasn’t good enough to play at this level.

2019 would be 4th year guys. CB Emanuel Jenkins no longer on the roster. Tre Caldwell was a medical retire. Milan Tucker has started and I would consider him a quality depth piece. Safety Nick Ross - Starter.

2020 3rd year guys CB Tommy Wright quits school to go into business. Safeties Mike Smith transfers, Ronald Clarke is a starter out of need and isn’t up to the task of being a FBS Safety. Clarkes backup is former walk on Jackson Green.

2021 CB Travis McNichol no longer enrolled in school. Safeties Caden Sullivan moved to OLB. Jordan Favors is on the depth chart.

2022 Ethan Johnson - a significant contributor but prone to freshman mistakes. Same with Philyaw. Edwards hasn’t played yet. Safeties. None recruited but DJ Burks looks to get the shot.

In summation you have 4 classes of CBs and only one is still on the team. You can try and backfill with the portal, but the academic issues with credits makes it hard to get quality. Nothing against Lawson, but an all conference D2 guy was the best we could get due to transfer issues.

Coaches recruit potential. They recruit kids that have potential talent but even that potential has a ceiling. Clark has consistently mentioned two things in his press conference. Effort and Execution. Everyone gives effort, but you have to have talent to execute. And we aren’t executing.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:03 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:00 pm
yosef69 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Longrifle28 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

2018 would be a 5th year Sr. CB Price transfers to ETSU. Safety Kaleb Dawson -currently in the portal because he wasn’t good enough to play at this level.

2019 would be 4th year guys. CB Emanuel Jenkins no longer on the roster. Tre Caldwell was a medical retire. Milan Tucker has started and I would consider him a quality depth piece. Safety Nick Ross - Starter.

2020 3rd year guys CB Tommy Wright quits school to go into business. Safeties Mike Smith transfers, Ronald Clarke is a starter out of need and isn’t up to the task of being a FBS Safety. Clarkes backup is former walk on Jackson Green.

2021 CB Travis McNichol no longer enrolled in school. Safeties Caden Sullivan moved to OLB. Jordan Favors is on the depth chart.

2022 Ethan Johnson - a significant contributor but prone to freshman mistakes. Same with Philyaw. Edwards hasn’t played yet. Safeties. None recruited but DJ Burks looks to get the shot.

In summation you have 4 classes of CBs and only one is still on the team. You can try and backfill with the portal, but the academic issues with credits makes it hard to get quality. Nothing against Lawson, but an all conference D2 guy was the best we could get due to transfer issues.

Coaches recruit potential. They recruit kids that have potential talent but even that potential has a ceiling. Clark has consistently mentioned two things in his press conference. Effort and Execution. Everyone gives effort, but you have to have talent to execute. And we aren’t executing.
And coaches are also in large part responsible for keeping and developing the recruits they bring in. Looks like someone has failed. I guess we could blame it on 10 or so individuals, or find the common denominator.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:09 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:03 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Longrifle28 wrote:

And coaches are also in large part responsible for keeping and developing the recruits they bring in. Looks like someone has failed. I guess we could blame it on 10 or so individuals, or find the common denominator.
As I said, everyone has a ceiling. You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken shit. But if you want to blame Clark, cool. He signs off on offers and he has only signed off on 4. 3 of those 4 are still here.

How many different coaches have we had CB in that time frame? You don’t seem like someone that is interested in anything but pointing fingers.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:32 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:09 pm
GlassOnion wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

As I said, everyone has a ceiling. You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken shit. But if you want to blame Clark, cool. He signs off on offers and he has only signed off on 4. 3 of those 4 are still here.

How many different coaches have we had CB in that time frame? You don’t seem like someone that is interested in anything but pointing fingers.
I'm sorry that I expect the multi millionaire, at our expense, to be accountable for the team he supposedly has lead for 3 years. All I see and hear are damn excuses. I'm also angry that Appalachian State chose a coach on the basis of where he graduated as opposed to experience and demonstrated competency on leading anything. That my friends, is total bush league, along with allowing a defensive coordinator to assume the roll that he was removed from, by competent leadership, on the basis of what exactly?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:37 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:32 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:09 pm
GlassOnion wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:

I'm sorry that I expect the multi millionaire, at our expense, to be accountable for the team he supposedly has lead for 3 years. All I see and hear are damn excuses. I'm also angry that Appalachian State chose a coach on the basis of where he graduated as opposed to experience and demonstrated competency on leading anything. That my friends, is total bush league, along with allowing a defensive coordinator to assume the roll that he was removed from, by competent leadership, on the basis of what exactly?
If that is how you feel then there isn’t any point in discussing this any further with you. You have obviously made up your mind and obviously know way more about what we should and shouldn’t do. Why aren’t you the AD? Or the Chancellor? Or are you? Any way. Enjoy your mood and have a blessed day.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:40 pm

How many P5 programs have really legit secondary players? Most like App are getting those 5'10"- maybe 6'1/2" ish type high school athletes who rarely defended real passes in their careers. There are far more pass completions allowed than defended. You really have to develop these guys more than any IMO.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:42 pm

So, if it’s nobody’s fault, where does the buck stop, or does it?

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:54 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:37 pm
GlassOnion wrote:

If that is how you feel then there isn’t any point in discussing this any further with you. You have obviously made up your mind and obviously know way more about what we should and shouldn’t do. Why aren’t you the AD? Or the Chancellor? Or are you? Any way. Enjoy your mood and have a blessed day.
No excuses for those two fine points? Shocking.

It's funny how you need to be an expert on here to state the obvious to some people. You must not review legal documents before you sign them if you're no lawyer, or review your taxes if you're no accountant. Just sad.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:04 pm

Not a good way to go out. App players shoving southern fans last night on the field. Ugh. It starts at the top. SC has to get more disciplined moving forward. Way too many penalties, late hits, celebrations etc.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:08 pm

311neers wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:04 pm
Not a good way to go out. App players shoving southern fans last night on the field. Ugh. It starts at the top. SC has to get more disciplined moving forward. Way too many penalties, late hits, celebrations etc.
Our best pro prospect too. Great

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:12 pm

Every team has tough breaks , injuries , bad calls ...good coaches find a way to win.Great coaches find a way to win championships.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:40 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:54 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:37 pm
GlassOnion wrote:

No excuses for those two fine points? Shocking.

It's funny how you need to be an expert on here to state the obvious to some people. You must not review legal documents before you sign them if you're no lawyer, or review your taxes if you're no accountant. Just sad.
I never claimed to be an expert on here but I do have some insight as to what is actually happening. Anyways, I don’t feel the need to be the punching bag for projecting your insecurities.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”