Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Cam Peoples

kornegaylw
School: Appalachian State

Re: Cam Peoples

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:35 am

appdaze wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:29 am
kornegaylw wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:15 am
I'm gonna catch hell for this take but I stand behind it.

Cam is over rated and we will be better when he is gone. Nothing he has done on the field hasn't been done before by an AppSt RB and his physical size is over rated.
Ehhh, not a good take. We've had overrated players before but he doesn't fit that bill. He's had injuries holding him back as well as a dwindling OL the longer he's been here. Each passing year the blocking has degraded. I think the biggest reason he doesn't seem as flashy and big as some in the past is that he does go out on route for short passes. A lot of our other RBs have making them appear more impressive because of the extra stats. That's part on him for needing to catch better and part in our coaches and their schemes. There is a lot more that goes into his situation. So I think I will side with all the professional scouts that see him as a late round pick even after all of his "overrated" years here at App.

Side note, drafts aren't always about what you see as a fan, it's what scouts see as a fit for the NFL

Armanti was not a WR at App.
Cadet was our starter/backup QB, became a return/rb in NFL.
Being put in a position where you can succeed is key and he has been. You're statement about deminsihing OL play is true but that doesn't take away from the fact that he he can't catch. His pass blocking is non existent. He can't stay healthy. He's a primadona. He takes away palying time from other deserving RBs. He has no lateral movement and he's not that fast.

Yes other backs have had better stats than him but ALL OF THEM did at least 1 of the things listed above better than Cam.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:41 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:26 am
Longrifle28 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:21 am
kornegaylw wrote:

Cam is over rated and we will be better when he is gone. Nothing he has done on the field hasn't been done before by an AppSt RB and his physical size is over rated.
I wouldn't say overrated, he has done some things very well. I do question his durability and his capabilities.
That first big TD run he had in the bowl game a few years ago got us really excited as he was that first big, fast back we have had. Of course we've had great ones but never a real pro looking dude who seemed too good for us. His lack of durability has been disappointing but those things happen. He's one of those guys (like CMC) who comes with that tag- when healthy. Hope he gets a shot to make some money. I've seen many shots of him on the sideline and he always looks like he's having a great time. That video they put out last week of him shopping was pretty cool.
You just hit the nail on the head. He's focused on the limelight not the game

He will be remembered for a few runs...that TD in NO Bowl #1 & sealing the TAMU win...I thank him for that...but in a couple years we won't speak his name like we do with Richardson, Settle, Cox, Moore & Evans.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:23 am

I don't think he is our best back for sure but he is a decent player when he is healthy. When it comes to this whole situation with him though there is just something here that doesn't meet the eye. I have no idea what it is but it is something more than injury. IMHO

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:47 pm

I don't remember any RB (not a QB) at App running for 300+ yards in a game. I would submit that he has had a number of very significant carries in the black and gold. He will finish in the top ten in career rushing yards and he is the career leader in yards per rush at 6.2. That said, I don't think he will be remembered as one of our all time bests because he hasn't been durable of enough to provide the team with what he is capable of delivering. He's not a Settle, Richardson, Cox, or J. Moore. Not to mention a Chip Hooks who lead App in rushing all four of his years (only John Settle equals that). Its the durability and consistency that sets those guys apart. But, a healthy Cam is capable of putting on a show.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:10 pm

Prima-donna, really? Been watching this young man be nothing but a great team player for the last 5 years. Yes he has been hurt a lot but he is always encouraging and supporting his teammates.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:51 pm

bcoach wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:23 am
I don't think he is our best back for sure but he is a decent player when he is healthy. When it comes to this whole situation with him though there is just something here that doesn't meet the eye. I have no idea what it is but it is something more than injury. IMHO
People have mentioned Cam's injuries and blocking as his negatives but I have wondered if the real issue is that he has a track mentality. I have heard that he loves football, works hard in weight room, and competes in practice but I could see this being a track mentality issue that many players have. Some need everything perfect before they will suit up. That is why I asked if it is an injury but I also don't expect our coaches to admit to anyone that he is healthy enough to play and just holding out because he is 95% instead of 100%. Even if they tell AppStateNews, Moose, or ASM that Cam can play but this is a track mentality issue they can't say it online without risking info being cut off. I know it has been an issue before so that is why I have asked on him but we will never know for sure here.

That issue is his biggest deal in my opinion and it will be interesting to see if he is constantly on the sidelines. I fully expect someone to draft him and then it’s all up to him. He has talent and will be a solid pro if he wants to.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:23 pm

I'd be shocked to see Cam play anymore this season...healthy or otherwise.

And anyway, I have a strong feeling all the hubbub from the Peoples Lovers/Haters won't matter 12 months from now.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:29 pm

Is this the second thread regarding Cam? Some of the words used to describe him are hateful. Prima Donna? Wow

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:59 pm

Cam has given me many positive memories.
He’s never given us any problems off the field. Go back and look at his tweet saying he’s staying at App. I’ll take his heart all day.

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:10 pm

When he was healthy he could change a game. But his entire career we were waiting for him to fulfill his incredible potential, and it just never happened. In fact I am not convinced this hasn't contributed to our lack of team cohesion in this crazy and very disappointing year.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:12 pm

I can see why some are disappointed in what Peoples has accomplished, but no way I see any justification for bashing the young man. He has been a solid player (even if injuries have been an issue). He earned his scholarship and because of his physical up-side, he will likely get a shot in the NFL. I hope is has an amazing career. Of course, if he does, some folks will flip and talk about how he was under-utilized at App. Peoples has never done a single thing to make me regret him wearing the black and gold for App. I hope he has a great pro career ahead.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:25 am

kornegaylw wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:31 am
Longrifle28 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:

I wouldn't say overrated, he has done some things very well. I do question his durability and his capabilities.
He can't catch. His pass blocking is non existent. He can't stay healthy. He's a primadona. He takes away palying time from other deserving RBs. He has no lateral movement and he's not that fast.

I know people are gonna say "We've never had a back with his size" and "He wears down the defense" and "He bleeds Black and Gold"...all of that may be true but when he told the coaches a couple weeks ago and this said it in a presser "I'm 100% committed to this team" it told me everything I needed to know about him. He's selfish and not the team player we need him to be. If you have to say tell it to people and the world then there are questions.

I wish him well and I hope he has success in the NFL and whatever he does in life.
You couldn't be more wrong in your assessment of Cam. He is anything but a primadona. He is always supportive of his team mates and always gave his all for App.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:32 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:59 pm
Cam has given me many positive memories.
He’s never given us any problems off the field. Go back and look at his tweet saying he’s staying at App. I’ll take his heart all day.
From those who know him well they say he really loves football and is a hard worker. I’m glad we have had him. It is crazy that some bash him and pretend he isn’t our most talented back. He is getting NFL looks for a reason. I wish he was a little tougher and more willing to play through minor pain but he is a difference maker when in the game.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:34 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:12 pm
I can see why some are disappointed in what Peoples has accomplished, but no way I see any justification for bashing the young man. He has been a solid player (even if injuries have been an issue). He earned his scholarship and because of his physical up-side, he will likely get a shot in the NFL. I hope is has an amazing career. Of course, if he does, some folks will flip and talk about how he was under-utilized at App. Peoples has never done a single thing to make me regret him wearing the black and gold for App. I hope he has a great pro career ahead.
It is hard to have a long career in NFL but it is all up to Cam whether he does. He will get drafted and if he wants it bad enough he will make it. Injuries are the only thing that can derail him besides himself. As mentioned before he is described by some around him as having a track mentality but when he is 100% he is the last player you want lined up across the line of scrimmage if you are a defender who has to make the tackle. He is a big, strong guy who can make people miss and run through them.

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:38 am

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:25 am
kornegaylw wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:31 am
Longrifle28 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:

He can't catch. His pass blocking is non existent. He can't stay healthy. He's a primadona. He takes away palying time from other deserving RBs. He has no lateral movement and he's not that fast.

I know people are gonna say "We've never had a back with his size" and "He wears down the defense" and "He bleeds Black and Gold"...all of that may be true but when he told the coaches a couple weeks ago and this said it in a presser "I'm 100% committed to this team" it told me everything I needed to know about him. He's selfish and not the team player we need him to be. If you have to say tell it to people and the world then there are questions.

I wish him well and I hope he has success in the NFL and whatever he does in life.
You couldn't be more wrong in your assessment of Cam. He is anything but a primadona. He is always supportive of his team mates and always gave his all for App.
I can’t imagine watching the way a healthy Cam runs thru people with tenacity and thinking that he hasn’t given his all for App. The man has been a vocal supporter of his teammates and this program whiles he’s dealt with injury setbacks constantly. That’s literally the opposite of a primadona

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:35 pm

College athletes have different ideas about what their time on teams means. For most it's a free or nearly free opportunity to obtain a degree. For others it's a means to obtain a chance at a pro career. For a select few it's an actual pro career. None of us really ever knew what it's like to play a sport at a high level but a few on this board seem to know what these young men should do. When Cam was signed we got really excited at the thought of a big bruising running back who might be the best ever at App. Many people are obviously disappointed at the uneven career he's had. More disappointing is the amount of spite and disturbing names he is being called by grown ass adults. Only a few people know what the story is. We just have to roll with whoever lines up to play. Life will go on no matter what.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:17 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:35 pm
College athletes have different ideas about what their time on teams means. For most it's a free or nearly free opportunity to obtain a degree. For others it's a means to obtain a chance at a pro career. For a select few it's an actual pro career. None of us really ever knew what it's like to play a sport at a high level but a few on this board seem to know what these young men should do. When Cam was signed we got really excited at the thought of a big bruising running back who might be the best ever at App. Many people are obviously disappointed at the uneven career he's had. More disappointing is the amount of spite and disturbing names he is being called by grown ass adults. Only a few people know what the story is. We just have to roll with whoever lines up to play. Life will go on no matter what.
There are a lot more of the behind the scenes stuff that goes on that we as fans would like to know, but just don’t need too. A lot of rumors and finger pointing goes on in general but it seriously ramps up when things aren’t going well.

People just don’t realize how difficult it is to keep everyone moving in the same direction. They also don’t have any idea how one seemingly small distraction can derail the process. So my only advice is yours. Roll with what we got and see how it plays out. And when it looks bad, ask why it looks bad before casting blame.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:51 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Some on here did play D1 football. We have former App players on this board. Some people are talking out of their butts but some people have experienced this stuff and learned. You would be surprised how many players made decisions as players that later in life they wish they had done differently as players.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:57 pm

I know many of you guys really love Harrington and think he is our best back but you always mention all he has come back from and I am in 100% agreement with you on that - however, hasn't Cam come back from 2 major knee surgeries? I don't mean to compare the pain and suffering each has been through but it is usually noted about Cam as "playing thru pain" or "injury prone" - Just wanted to point that out, no other reason.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:58 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:17 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
There are a lot more of the behind the scenes stuff that goes on that we as fans would like to know, but just don’t need too. A lot of rumors and finger pointing goes on in general but it seriously ramps up when things aren’t going well.

People just don’t realize how difficult it is to keep everyone moving in the same direction. They also don’t have any idea how one seemingly small distraction can derail the process. So my only advice is yours. Roll with what we got and see how it plays out. And when it looks bad, ask why it looks bad before casting blame.
I remember when we were winning titles and some on here would bring up issues that almost cost us a game or a weakness and the reply from others was “you just can’t take wins and always have to see the bad”. I have seen those replies a lot. We win by 20 and someone points out a struggle to be shot down by a few folks who accuse them of not being happy no matter what we do. I even heard the jokes that some can’t be happy no matter what.

Then we lose a few times and some are like “the only reason these issues are being brought up is that we are losing”. We have folks who bring up issues either way. It is just that we have some who want to dismiss bringing up those issues as blame for struggles regardless. We can win and still have things to improve. Most coaches still find the areas to improve regardless whether they win by 3 or 25. We have just had a lot more issues pop up this year than in the last few years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”