Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App St football = POOP

mike87
School: Appalachian State

Re: App St football = POOP

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:45 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:36 am
teller wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:40 am
After years of dynasty like play, we are officially poop. How does that make you feel? We have more talent for offensive skill position players, but our defense is an absolute embarrassment. Offensive skill positions are the best EVER minus QB that is, Chase is a chunky, slow QB. If Burger was starting, we may have only lost one so far. How does that make you feel, App Nation? As others have said since our embarrassing bowl loss, our defense, especially the secondary, has been absolutely EXPOSED. 'Til we recruit some dogs for DBs and safeties, we will never be more than mediocre at best. We'll be lucky to see a bowl game this year. To the defensive secondary and coaches/players and QB coaches/players, I hope you're proud of yourself for drinking the koolaid and getting big-heads.
While I agree with a little of your post, I do not agree with your comments about Chase, I feel we are very lucky to have him. He misses some throws (all qb's do, but makes some amazing ones as well. His 2 TO's last night were tough, but getting crushed while passing and a messed up snap is hardly solely if any on him. A few other thoughts on the overall program:

For several weeks I have felt one our main issues was not respecting the team across from us, it was the only way I could justify the UNC/A&M game and the Tex st and first half against GSU and RM debacle. And while I do think every team struggles with that to a certain degree, that is not necessarily the only thing. Maybe we are so much faster than the huge P5 teams that our speed neutralizes their size. When we play SB schools, who are often as fast, maybe a tad slower (but definitely bigger), we don't have an advantage and at times a disadvantage. Add the target as the SB flag barer and everyone's "black-out" game and we are always going to be in a dog fight. This brings me to my point. Someone many years ago had the balls to make a drastic change to how we recruit and change our entire offensive scheme. We had built the program to a place where we could do that, and after a few bumps, it took us to the next level with Natty's and the Mich win. I am tired of hearing about undersized Appalachian guys. Have we not built the brand where we can still find guys who will work hard and be good team mates but also have a little more physical gifts. I'm not saying we compete against the Clemson's of the world, but we have the history, brand, fan support that is far superior to any others in our conference and most of the G5. Diamonds in the rough are fine, but we need some quality size and speed with our 2nd and 3rd teams as well.

As for the coaching, I am not one to call for heads. Not going to do it. I will go only as far to say (and did on this board) that the hire was a little questionable to me in the fact that we were rolling, getting ranked, and we turned it over to someone with no HC experience. I do very much question a lot of the calls lately (going for it on 4th down in bad spots, not passing more when our over-rated O line is stagnant, 2 point conversion's, etc.) As for all the DJ chatter, I will not defend or support as there is too much I don't know, but what I am seeing are defenders in position and not making plays. Is that a result of poor recruiting, not practicing fundamentals enough in practice, I don't know, but I saw so many arm tackles missed for losses or minimal gains last night it makes me sick. One dude had to have had at least 6, all he could do is shake his head after each play. this has been a problem all year for this team and not talked about enough. Scheme good, players there, execution bad.

We are not used to years where our brand is not moving forward. This year, our brand trajectory was going through the roof, UNC/TAMU game, College Gameday/Hail Mary definitely 2 steps forward. Now, we have taken 1 step backwards with no conference title game appearance and a bad record. If we don't make a bowl game, get some extra weeks of practice, have millions watching us (either directly on TV or an through their sports book) that negates the gains from earlier and is very unfortunate.

Finally, yes I use "we" when referring to the team. APP 's passionate fan base is as much a part of the culture and program as any other facet. I don't get up at 5:30 to work out or run the knob, but my wallet, watch and voice give their all and is just as important.

Please have the balls to evaluate and adapt . . .
Good post. I was in Conway and what I saw was the poor execution but also our OL and DL getting beat up on 2 out of 3 plays. The successful passing attempts seemed to only come when Chase rolled out to escape the rush and there was zero pressure on McCall. We used to have a guy in S&C who was a little out of control but brought the fire. Got rid of him because he was a little out of control. I think we need that a$$hole back.

I still believe Clark is the right hire and guy to get us back to the App State way. Got to get some consistency in the coaching ranks, there's too much turnover. DJ, maybe but considering what we can pay he's probably as good as it will get. As far as QB play, Chase is the best we've got. Calling him names or singing his praises doesn't change it. He's our horse to ride this year. I think he's damn good and he definitely leaves it all out on the field.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:51 pm

teller wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:13 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:02 pm
Know a poster has little to no creditability when they go Stuart Smalley on a reply.."know more about football than you will ever kniw"

Stuart Smalley from SNL
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."
What’s yo name?
Dude, stop trying to pick me up. I am not available.
Nobody cares that you're name is Teller.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:53 pm

mike87 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:45 pm
AppOrange wrote:
teller wrote:
After years of dynasty like play, we are officially poop. How does that make you feel? We have more talent for offensive skill position players, but our defense is an absolute embarrassment. Offensive skill positions are the best EVER minus QB that is, Chase is a chunky, slow QB. If Burger was starting, we may have only lost one so far. How does that make you feel, App Nation? As others have said since our embarrassing bowl loss, our defense, especially the secondary, has been absolutely EXPOSED. 'Til we recruit some dogs for DBs and safeties, we will never be more than mediocre at best. We'll be lucky to see a bowl game this year. To the defensive secondary and coaches/players and QB coaches/players, I hope you're proud of yourself for drinking the koolaid and getting big-heads.
While I agree with a little of your post, I do not agree with your comments about Chase, I feel we are very lucky to have him. He misses some throws (all qb's do, but makes some amazing ones as well. His 2 TO's last night were tough, but getting crushed while passing and a messed up snap is hardly solely if any on him. A few other thoughts on the overall program:

For several weeks I have felt one our main issues was not respecting the team across from us, it was the only way I could justify the UNC/A&M game and the Tex st and first half against GSU and RM debacle. And while I do think every team struggles with that to a certain degree, that is not necessarily the only thing. Maybe we are so much faster than the huge P5 teams that our speed neutralizes their size. When we play SB schools, who are often as fast, maybe a tad slower (but definitely bigger), we don't have an advantage and at times a disadvantage. Add the target as the SB flag barer and everyone's "black-out" game and we are always going to be in a dog fight. This brings me to my point. Someone many years ago had the balls to make a drastic change to how we recruit and change our entire offensive scheme. We had built the program to a place where we could do that, and after a few bumps, it took us to the next level with Natty's and the Mich win. I am tired of hearing about undersized Appalachian guys. Have we not built the brand where we can still find guys who will work hard and be good team mates but also have a little more physical gifts. I'm not saying we compete against the Clemson's of the world, but we have the history, brand, fan support that is far superior to any others in our conference and most of the G5. Diamonds in the rough are fine, but we need some quality size and speed with our 2nd and 3rd teams as well.

As for the coaching, I am not one to call for heads. Not going to do it. I will go only as far to say (and did on this board) that the hire was a little questionable to me in the fact that we were rolling, getting ranked, and we turned it over to someone with no HC experience. I do very much question a lot of the calls lately (going for it on 4th down in bad spots, not passing more when our over-rated O line is stagnant, 2 point conversion's, etc.) As for all the DJ chatter, I will not defend or support as there is too much I don't know, but what I am seeing are defenders in position and not making plays. Is that a result of poor recruiting, not practicing fundamentals enough in practice, I don't know, but I saw so many arm tackles missed for losses or minimal gains last night it makes me sick. One dude had to have had at least 6, all he could do is shake his head after each play. this has been a problem all year for this team and not talked about enough. Scheme good, players there, execution bad.

We are not used to years where our brand is not moving forward. This year, our brand trajectory was going through the roof, UNC/TAMU game, College Gameday/Hail Mary definitely 2 steps forward. Now, we have taken 1 step backwards with no conference title game appearance and a bad record. If we don't make a bowl game, get some extra weeks of practice, have millions watching us (either directly on TV or an through their sports book) that negates the gains from earlier and is very unfortunate.

Finally, yes I use "we" when referring to the team. APP 's passionate fan base is as much a part of the culture and program as any other facet. I don't get up at 5:30 to work out or run the knob, but my wallet, watch and voice give their all and is just as important.

Good post. I was in Conway and what I saw was the poor execution but also our OL and DL getting beat up on 2 out of 3 plays. The successful passing attempts seemed to only come when Chase rolled out to escape the rush and there was zero pressure on McCall. We used to have a guy in S&C who was a little out of control but brought the fire. Got rid of him because he was a little out of control. I think we need that a$$hole back.

I still believe Clark is the right hire and guy to get us back to the App State way. Got to get some consistency in the coaching ranks, there's too much turnover. DJ, maybe but considering what we can pay he's probably as good as it will get. As far as QB play, Chase is the best we've got. Calling him names or singing his praises doesn't change it. He's our horse to ride this year. I think he's damn good and he definitely leaves it all out on the field.
Absolutely not in bringing coach Mike back. There's a reason he got fired from Louisville. And it's not from on field performance. When a school that hires Petrino fires someone, you know it's not good.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:57 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:51 pm
teller wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
Know a poster has little to no creditability when they go Stuart Smalley on a reply.."know more about football than you will ever kniw"

Stuart Smalley from SNL
What’s yo name?
Maybe he’s trying to “tell” you something big boy

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:01 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:57 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:51 pm
teller wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

Stuart Smalley from SNL
What’s yo name?
Maybe he’s trying to “tell” you something big boy
I had him at "hello". 🤣
#99ForPresident!!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:04 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:53 pm
mike87 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:45 pm
AppOrange wrote:
teller wrote:

Absolutely not in bringing coach Mike back. There's a reason he got fired from Louisville. And it's not from on field performance. When a school that hires Petrino fires someone, you know it's not good.
I'll defer to your knowledge on that particular person. amend to need an a$$hole back.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:07 pm

mike87 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:04 pm
I'll defer to your knowledge on that particular person. amend to need an a$$hole back.
I do agree we need a hype guy on the staff. We don't really have one.
tAPPedInSports.net

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:28 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:12 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:50 am
teller wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:52 am
I guess you're content and ok with mediocrity Beau! To each his own. I thought our football team was known for being dogs, guess we're just wanna-bes that are content with being "okay" at best. Just a bunch of pups..... :lol:
I'm really tired of these comments, claiming some sort of superiority due to a reactionary attitude and sweeping generalizations. It's called building a straw argument and that's about what it is worth....straw. A less than championship season does not equal "poop." NO PROGRAM wins the championship EVERY year. Accepting this season without insulting our athletes and staff is not the same as "accepting mediocrity." That doesn't seem to be hard to grasp.

I seriously doubt that anyone on the board is "OK" with how this season has gone. If a few losses is enough to make you turn and attack your own team, maybe you should jump on some other bandwagon. There is absolutely zero constructive about your posts and there is no attempt to engage in discussion, so I assume you're just whining.
Gillin won't accept mediocrity and 3 of 4 seasons not even being in the hunt for the title would tell me we are getting to where you either make some changes or you start accepting mediocrity. I'm with you that we can't win it every year but the league is a lot better so now we have to rise up or we will get left behind.

If we lose 2 more games I think Gillin has Shawn make a lot of changes since we would miss out on a bowl game. If that happens, I think Shawn makes a lot of changes and does enter next year on hot-seat. If he wins out and wins bowl game then 9-4 won't look so bad. It will be interesting to see how we finish.
I agree that DG won't accept this for long. He's the one who has to make the difficult decisions if it comes to it. I just don't think it has come to it just yet. The loss of multiple starters on D has really hurt us. We brought in some talent, but it just doesn't seem to have come together, at least not consistently. Barbay has done GREAT in some games and is very predictable in others. The offensive production is directly related to how the OL plays. We seem to either run it up their gut or we run plays that are long developing. Coastal's plays were quick routes and McCall wasn't holding the ball long at all (most of the time).

I trust Clark and DG to make decisions about adjustments (current and after the season). I predict things won't look the same next year but that's up to them.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:49 pm

For Burger to be successful as a young starting QB (if he is the named starter in the fall). Quick routes and short passes will have to be the plan given 1st year starter..I would believe anyway.
#99ForPresident!!

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:51 pm

HEY TELLER: keep it up. You know You are really under their skin when they start calling you names.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:57 pm

pop5app wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:51 pm
HEY TELLER: keep it up. You know You are really under their skin when they start calling you names.
Yeah. Keep trolling other fans of the same school by telling them how much their program sucks. Which is supposed to be your school as well. But we’re wildly out of bounds to suggest certain posters aren’t getting off on our struggles. I present you as exhibit A

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:05 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:07 pm
mike87 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:04 pm
I do agree we need a hype guy on the staff. We don't really have one.
Myquon Stout is at UL. I don’t know if he’s really a “hype” guy, but I remember a players only meeting in 2017 where a certain projector met its demise was a real turning point in that season. That’s all the hype that I personally need.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:27 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:57 pm
pop5app wrote:
Yeah. Keep trolling other fans of the same school by telling them how much their program sucks. Which is supposed to be your school as well. But we’re wildly out of bounds to suggest certain posters aren’t getting off on our struggles. I present you as exhibit A
Yeah keep it up. You are really telling me how it should be! If a little criticism of “our” team hurts your feeling I am truly sorry. Keep name calling junior!

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:51 pm

After enduring every home game, two midweek games, two FCS games, cold and Conway - I have no desire to attend the final home game of the year. Changes need to be made to the staff. Dale jones should be gone. I don’t give a flying flip about his relationship to tommy Sofield. Honestly, barbay should be on a tight leash as well. I only want to keep him for offensive consistency with Berger. Clark has one more year in my opinion to show something. If we have another year like this next year, he should be fired December 2, 2023. His buyout will only be 500k. Thank god app tickets have an easy resell market.

Shawn Clark - the clock is ticking buddy.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:01 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:51 pm
After enduring every home game, two midweek games, two FCS games, cold and Conway - I have no desire to attend the final home game of the year. Changes need to be made to the staff. Dale jones should be gone. I don’t give a flying flip about his relationship to tommy Sofield. Honestly, barbay should be on a tight leash as well. I only want to keep him for offensive consistency with Berger. Clark has one more year in my opinion to show something. If we have another year like this next year, he should be fired December 2, 2023. His buyout will only be 500k. Thank god app tickets have an easy resell market.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!
tAPPedInSports.net

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:04 pm

Wow - and some talk about the players having no heart/don't care/suck
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:13 pm

asu1988 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:06 am
t4pizza wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:43 am
Chase is the best qb we have had since AE and has the best arm talent of any qb I have seen in the black and gold.
Lamb? Thomas? These guys won conference championships and were better all around.
Nope

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:19 pm

pop5app wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:27 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:57 pm
pop5app wrote:
Yeah keep it up. You are really telling me how it should be! If a little criticism of “our” team hurts your feeling I am truly sorry. Keep name calling junior!
A little criticism?

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:26 pm

teller wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:59 am
yosef69 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:54 am
We’re not good, but chase is the only reason we’re even competitive lately.
How about the fumble at the 5 yesterday and the INT returned to the 2 yd line? Lost by 7 and there's 2 field goals or better yet TDs erased because our QB can't make better decisions. But yeah, sure, he's the reason we're competitive. How about the reason we're NOT competitive?
Neither of those things were his sole responsibility. His numbers speak for themselves.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:30 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:01 pm
ASUFan4863 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:51 pm

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!
I guess you are happy that our goals are still in front of us? Why can’t people critique the team or coaches without getting a negative reaction. We have to admit our problems to fix them. We have problems. It’s not directly Shawn Clark at the moment. I feel like that is a fair statement to make. Chime in with actual substance if you disagree.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”