Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Duncan and Legends Parking Gone

TheMoody1
School: Appalachian State

Duncan and Legends Parking Gone

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:18 pm

Saw that Dunan and Legends will no longer be football lots after this year. Holmes will be offline next year with a 500 spot deck in '24.

Mjohn1988

Re: Duncan and Legends Parking Gone

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:40 pm

Looks like prices will continue to rise

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:51 pm

Everything costs more.....

AppBox

Unread post by AppBox » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:57 pm

As a Duncan parker I hate it but understand it. We'll see where we get stuck and go from there.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:06 pm

Just losing all the views that the campus once had. From the moment you pass by Wendy's, its high rises as far as the eye can see. Drive through campus and its four floor+ buildings or parking garages everywhere. Walk around the new dorms near the football field, and you have a beautiful view of more dorms.

Google street view still hasn't been updated and still has stadium lot. You can reminisce a bit and enjoy the views. Still has the old field house too. I've said it before that I know progress is inevitable, but that doesn't mean its enjoyable. Paving paradise to put up a parking lot.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:19 pm

appdaze wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:06 pm
Just losing all the views that the campus once had. From the moment you pass by Wendy's, its high rises as far as the eye can see. Drive through campus and its four floor+ buildings or parking garages everywhere. Walk around the new dorms near the football field, and you have a beautiful view of more dorms.

Google street view still hasn't been updated and still has stadium lot. You can reminisce a bit and enjoy the views. Still has the old field house too. I've said it before that I know progress is inevitable, but that doesn't mean its enjoyable. Paving paradise to put up a parking lot.
I thought losing Duncan and part of Peacock was going to be because the creek would be daylighted. That would be the opposite of paving paradise. And stadium lot was actually paved. Now at least there’s a nice grassy area in the center of the complex.
WE ARE YOSEF!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:51 pm

That part was just referencing a song.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:36 pm

What’s going on where legends lot is permanently gone?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:42 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:19 pm
appdaze wrote:

I thought losing Duncan and part of Peacock was going to be because the creek would be daylighted. That would be the opposite of paving paradise. And stadium lot was actually paved. Now at least there’s a nice grassy area in the center of the complex.
Daylighting the creek is a huge win for water quality and the environment. And though I wish the new dorms were not PPP buildings and made to last longer than a a few decades the green area is so much nicer than the huge slab of impermeable asphalt that existed before. As many times as I have walked up the old stadium lot I have no nostalgia for that environmental disaster of a parking lot.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:16 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:42 pm
goapps93 wrote:
appdaze wrote:

Daylighting the creek is a huge win for water quality and the environment. And though I wish the new dorms were not PPP buildings and made to last longer than a a few decades the green area is so much nicer than the huge slab of impermeable asphalt that existed before. As many times as I have walked up the old stadium lot I have no nostalgia for that environmental disaster of a parking lot.
Let’s not pretend like the tiny courtyard between the new buildings that replaced stadium lot is some environmental beacon. It is smaller than duck pond field, so the area nets less pervious surface than before. Replacing a parking lot with dorms isn’t really saving the environment.
Haven’t seen the whole plan for peacock lot but by daylighting the creek are they creating more of a hazard? Someone drowned in Durham park at one point, is the campus going to be bisected by the stream in the area? This will also change flooding patterns. Where is the water going to go?

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:29 pm

goapps93 wrote:
appdaze wrote:

Those buildings could last as long as anyone wants them to after all Newland Hall is a 80 plus year old frame building with a brick facade. Same for Chappel/Wilson, Smith/Wright and old Doherty. It is many built in the horrible architecture years of 60s, 70s and 80s that need gut remodel or demo.

I know you agree McC App, but to the those lamenting the change, it is ok to be sad about the loss of spaces/buildings where fond memories occured, but those dorms were horrible as are/were Duncan/Raley/Stadium and those are the reason for the song line "paved paradise to put up a parking lot". Campus is looking awesome!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:38 pm

The Rock wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:16 pm
goapps93 wrote:
appdaze wrote:

Let’s not pretend like the tiny courtyard between the new buildings that replaced stadium lot is some environmental beacon. It is smaller than duck pond field, so the area nets less pervious surface than before. Replacing a parking lot with dorms isn’t really saving the environment.
Haven’t seen the whole plan for peacock lot but by daylighting the creek are they creating more of a hazard? Someone drowned in Durham park at one point, is the campus going to be bisected by the stream in the area? This will also change flooding patterns. Where is the water going to go?
This will alleviate the flooding that routinely occurs because the piping under the asphalt is grossly undersized and the flood water goes across the lot and floods both Rankin and Edwin/Duncan. No Duncan lot means large open flood plane. You can't really think that the plan is creating a hazard??? That's absurd.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:01 pm

The view is being eliminated by high rises? I lived on the sixth floor of Coltrane—a 9 story dorm in 1974. I lived on the sixth floor of Hoey dorm. It’s OK to be sentimental but be accurate. None of this is uncharted territory.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:31 pm

wncapp78 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:01 pm
The view is being eliminated by high rises? I lived on the sixth floor of Coltrane—a 9 story dorm in 1974. I lived on the sixth floor of Hoey dorm. It’s OK to be sentimental but be accurate. None of this is uncharted territory.
Were those dorms surrounded by other 6-story dorms on almost all sides? My main point is about walking around campus and losing all the views due to tall buildings. I'm not really sure what you are referring to by being accurate. I was accurate. I realize it isn't uncharted territory. I never said it wasn't. I think you must have read a different post or something.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:16 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:38 pm
The Rock wrote:
goapps93 wrote:
appdaze wrote:

This will alleviate the flooding that routinely occurs because the piping under the asphalt is grossly undersized and the flood water goes across the lot and floods both Rankin and Edwin/Duncan. No Duncan lot means large open flood plane. You can't really think that the plan is creating a hazard??? That's absurd.
Again, I haven't seen the maps or proposals, but do you know for sure the waters in a flood event will be contained to the duncan lot only? And having an open stream at all times is a little more dangerous than the 1-2 times a year there is actually flooding. why not just upsize the pipe or add additional pipes to carry the waters in flood events?
Also, can we stop pretending App is some model for green development or environmental resources? None of their buildings are built with sustainability in mind and they do nothing to alleviate the flooding problems they contribute to the town. They use no permeable pavement/pavers, they install no stormwater detention systems. at least they haven't willingly in the past, maybe Town of Boone required it with latest round of development through PPP when App actually had to go through TOB for permitting

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:51 am

The west side of campus is VASTLY improved. Much more efficient use of the land and visually it looks 10x better. Change is hard, I get it, but how anyone could miss the eyesore that was stadium lot is beyond me.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:10 am

I only miss the aspect of the parking lot being a great open area for tailgating! Hence, we don't have many of those that close to the stadium anymore. But it does look very nice with what was built.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:29 am

The Rock wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:16 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:38 pm
The Rock wrote:
goapps93 wrote:

Again, I haven't seen the maps or proposals, but do you know for sure the waters in a flood event will be contained to the duncan lot only? And having an open stream at all times is a little more dangerous than the 1-2 times a year there is actually flooding. why not just upsize the pipe or add additional pipes to carry the waters in flood events?
Also, can we stop pretending App is some model for green development or environmental resources? None of their buildings are built with sustainability in mind and they do nothing to alleviate the flooding problems they contribute to the town. They use no permeable pavement/pavers, they install no stormwater detention systems. at least they haven't willingly in the past, maybe Town of Boone required it with latest round of development through PPP when App actually had to go through TOB for permitting
I'm sorry I was so rough on you on my reply. Apparently there are engineers that have devised all these plans that will actually alleviate and hopefully solve the problem and both the university and the town of Boone as well as some different water conservatory groups have been working on this and attempting to get federal funding to assist in the cost.

https://www.appstate.edu/appalachians-f ... one-creek/

In this link to the University projects planning page there's a further link to Watauga Democrat story.

The entirety of the new dorm project and that entire section of campus has now Giant water storage tanks under those grassy fields that retain all of that stormwater and then slowly release it back into duck pond and then the creek. So there certainly are solutions that the university has implemented in this redevelopment that have been occurring to help alleviate Boone flooding.

You're right it would be nice to see permeable pavers and such in the parking areas being created and water that falls on those also being retained or allowed to go into the Earth. I don't know but perhaps the storm water from the new parking lots is also retained but I haven't read that it is only that of the entirety of the buildings and roof systems. I haven't heard anything about the new parking areas and that storm water being retained and you're right it would been better if there was some form of permeable surface and all those parking areas but unfortunately those kind of parking lots are extremely expensive. But with the parking decks put in and the Giants asphalt surfaces reduced certainly there is less stormwater run off with this redevelment.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:36 am

So does anyone know what the scoop is over at Legends? I know that building is going to be torn down and the campus master plan has a parking deck over in that quadrant of campus somewhere.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:36 am

I have been given some details on the Legends project.As described it will be a huge positive for the U, and the town. Something much needed for a long time.My opinion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”