Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Duncan and Legends Parking Gone

WASU 93
School: Appalachian State

Re: Duncan and Legends Parking Gone

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:36 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:57 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:12 am
The Rock wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:19 am
Stonewall wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:36 am
I have been given some details on the Legends project.As described it will be a huge positive for the U, and the town. Something much needed for a long time.My opinion.
Is it the full service hotel/meeting area similar to Broyhill? If so, I guess I can see the benefits, but the Broyhill has been gone for how many years now, and seems to be going fine?
Is that Legends area large enough for a hotel and conference center?
That is my question as well. Perhaps the developer bought up more property in that block. I don’t know.
From some of the Courtyard by Marriott concepts (not saying that is the brand) that I see when I travel, if the parking lot/parking garage is under the hotel and the meeting/conference rooms are on the first floor, that lot (and maybe the gas station behind it or the parking behind Doughton will certainly handle it.) I would expect the hotel to be 5-7 floors in that scenario.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:14 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:29 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:42 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:19 pm
appdaze wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:06 pm
Just losing all the views that the campus once had. From the moment you pass by Wendy's, its high rises as far as the eye can see. Drive through campus and its four floor+ buildings or parking garages everywhere. Walk around the new dorms near the football field, and you have a beautiful view of more dorms.

Google street view still hasn't been updated and still has stadium lot. You can reminisce a bit and enjoy the views. Still has the old field house too. I've said it before that I know progress is inevitable, but that doesn't mean its enjoyable. Paving paradise to put up a parking lot.
I thought losing Duncan and part of Peacock was going to be because the creek would be daylighted. That would be the opposite of paving paradise. And stadium lot was actually paved. Now at least there’s a nice grassy area in the center of the complex.
Daylighting the creek is a huge win for water quality and the environment. And though I wish the new dorms were not PPP buildings and made to last longer than a a few decades the green area is so much nicer than the huge slab of impermeable asphalt that existed before. As many times as I have walked up the old stadium lot I have no nostalgia for that environmental disaster of a parking lot.
Those buildings could last as long as anyone wants them to after all Newland Hall is a 80 plus year old frame building with a brick facade. Same for Chappel/Wilson, Smith/Wright and old Doherty. It is many built in the horrible architecture years of 60s, 70s and 80s that need gut remodel or demo.
Pardon me, Highlands App, for inserting a correction on you. There have been three Newland Halls in App history--the original, built in 1908; Newland II, built in 1939 and in service through '94-'95; and the current Newland III that was first occupied in the fall semester of '97. Numbers II and III were constructed to the degree possible in the footprint of the original building. Newland I provided housing for men. Newland II provided housing for upper class men and for male athletes. Newland III has been coed from the beginning.

I had the good fortune to be a resident of Newland from the winter of '62 until the spring of '66. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. In a way, I was sorry to see the old place go away, but it was time. By the early '90s, prospective students were expecting better living conditions and more upscale amenities than were possible in 57 year-old buildings. (The new Newland III bears a striking resemblance to Newland II and that fact eases the pangs of sentiment that many of us feel.)

https://omeka-dev.library.appstate.edu/ ... ewlandhall

Sadly, the "Newland" name has run afoul of the "cancel culture" and the facility is subject to being renamed in the months ahead.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:46 am

asu66 wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:14 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
goapps93 wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Just losing all the views that the campus once had. From the moment you pass by Wendy's, its high rises as far as the eye can see. Drive through campus and its four floor+ buildings or parking garages everywhere. Walk around the new dorms near the football field, and you have a beautiful view of more dorms.

Google street view still hasn't been updated and still has stadium lot. You can reminisce a bit and enjoy the views. Still has the old field house too. I've said it before that I know progress is inevitable, but that doesn't mean its enjoyable. Paving paradise to put up a parking lot.
I thought losing Duncan and part of Peacock was going to be because the creek would be daylighted. That would be the opposite of paving paradise. And stadium lot was actually paved. Now at least there’s a nice grassy area in the center of the complex.
Daylighting the creek is a huge win for water quality and the environment. And though I wish the new dorms were not PPP buildings and made to last longer than a a few decades the green area is so much nicer than the huge slab of impermeable asphalt that existed before. As many times as I have walked up the old stadium lot I have no nostalgia for that environmental disaster of a parking lot.
Those buildings could last as long as anyone wants them to after all Newland Hall is a 80 plus year old frame building with a brick facade. Same for Chappel/Wilson, Smith/Wright and old Doherty. It is many built in the horrible architecture years of 60s, 70s and 80s that need gut remodel or demo.
Pardon me, Highlands App, for inserting a correction on you. There have been three Newland Halls in App history--the original, built in 1908; Newland II, built in 1939 and in service through '94-'95; and the current Newland III that was first occupied in the fall semester of '97. Numbers II and III were constructed to the degree possible in the footprint of the original building. Newland I provided housing for men. Newland II provided housing for upper class men and for male athletes. Newland III has been coed from the beginning.

I had the good fortune to be a resident of Newland from the winter of '62 until the spring of '66. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. In a way, I was sorry to see the old place go away, but it was time. By the early '90s, prospective students were expecting better living conditions and more upscale amenities than were possible in 57 year-old buildings. (The new Newland III bears a striking resemblance to Newland II and that fact eases the pangs of sentiment that many of us feel.)

Sadly, the "Newland" name has run afoul of the "cancel culture" and the facility is subject to being renamed in the months ahead.
Chuck,
I spent my freshman year (69-70) in Newland. It was old but roomy. Certainly preferred it to Gardner/Coltrane particularly since one didn't have to leave the confines of one's room to shave, shower, or use the toilet. Always felt sorry in the winter months watching folks walk across Stadium lot to Bowie. Fond memories of 301 Newland.

AppStateRTP

Unread post by AppStateRTP » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:22 am

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:41 am

Why does the name "Newland" offend people? (not a rhetorical question)

So another building name change is on the way. Leave it up to the university to change the name to something meaningless like oak tree or buttercup...something that won't offend anyone but is also totally meaningless.

We have a lot of distinguished alums, maybe name these buildings in honor of some of them? Or name them after landmarks in the High Country? Or how about the indian tribes who inhabited this area?

Plenty of meaningful naming options...but that requires an ounce of creative thinking, which is in surprisingly short supply these days.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:22 am

Bootsy wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:41 am
Why does the name "Newland" offend people? (not a rhetorical question)

So another building name change is on the way. Leave it up to the university to change the name to something meaningless like oak tree or buttercup...something that won't offend anyone but is also totally meaningless.

We have a lot of distinguished alums, maybe name these buildings in honor of some of them? Or name them after landmarks in the High Country? Or how about the indian tribes who inhabited this area?

Plenty of meaningful naming options...but that requires an ounce of creative thinking, which is in surprisingly short supply these days.
I don't think it boils down to creative thinking as much as it does the fact that anybody's name who we could slap on a building wrote a stupid thing when they were 6 years old on the internet and will deserve to be punished for it 50 years from now.

And excuse me, some people are allergic to buttercups and oak trees so language such as that shouldn't be used.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:07 am

If I win the Powerball this weekend, I’m pretty positive there won’t be a “Foster Hall” anywhere in Boone, regardless of how much I donate 😂
Give 'em hell!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:12 am

asu66 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
goapps93 wrote:
appdaze wrote:

66 The part of Newland that you lived in is still there The 97 Newland just is the big large addition wing that sticks out perpendicular to the the building that's been there since the 30s. Obviously it was remodeled but that original 30s building is still sitting there with the new 97 wing stuck to it. It's pretty nice place now. So if you want to go visit it the old part still will be fairly similar to the way it was when you were there.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:13 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:12 am
asu66 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
goapps93 wrote:

66 The part of Newland that you lived in is still there The 97 Newland just is the big large addition wing that sticks out perpendicular to the the building that's been there since the 30s. Obviously it was remodeled but that original 30s building is still sitting there with the new 97 wing stuck to it. It's pretty nice place now. So if you want to go visit it the old part still will be fairly similar to the way it was when you were there. I don't know why the library piece makes it sound like the '30s part of the building is no more.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:59 am

I could have sworn that Newland was a female dorm during my time at App (88-93). I know for certain that I had to sneak in/out after hours my freshman year, it was most certainly a female dorm at that time and I thought it stayed that way the entire time.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:09 am

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:59 am
I could have sworn that Newland was a female dorm during my time at App (88-93). I know for certain that I had to sneak in/out after hours my freshman year, it was most certainly a female dorm at that time and I thought it stayed that way the entire time.
I remember it as all female as well.

app83

Unread post by app83 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:21 am

My wife lived in Newland around 1984 or 1984 and it was definitely all female at that time.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:49 am

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:59 am
Ditto. It as from 80 to 84 too. I remember going on several panty raids. lol

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:37 pm

All female?Yeah .Yeah , was it ever...

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:18 pm

hapapp wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:46 am
asu66 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
goapps93 wrote:

Chuck,
I spent my freshman year (69-70) in Newland. It was old but roomy. Certainly preferred it to Gardner/Coltrane particularly since one didn't have to leave the confines of one's room to shave, shower, or use the toilet. Always felt sorry in the winter months watching folks walk across Stadium lot to Bowie. Fond memories of 301 Newland.
I lived in Frank. I could do all those things in my room too.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:53 pm

appdaze wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:18 pm
hapapp wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:46 am
asu66 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:

Chuck,
I lived in Frank. I could do all those things in my room too.
I am not sure if I am impressed or horrified if you could do all of that in Frank. Best I could do was brush my teeth, shave and maybe a sponge bath when I was in Frank.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”