Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

EXPANDING STADIUM TO 40k CAPACITY

311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: EXPANDING STADIUM TO 40k CAPACITY

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:18 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:14 am
Diesel mentioned this on the SBC board and I agree with him.

I'm not sure building a new IPF is critical, I'd rather use those funds to upgrade other venues (baseball, 105, etc.). The incremental benefits would seem to outweigh the cost.
Hope the baseball team gets a good turnout this weekend. They've got a new scoreboard and some improved terrace seating behind 1st base dugout if anyone wants to check that out this weekend. I might have missed it, but has App Athletics promoted the fall baseball scrimmage v Wofford this weekend at 11AM? A little fall baseball to start the Homecoming tailgate off right. Support our Diamond Apps, should be a vastly improved team this year.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:30 am

Saint3333 wrote:

I'm not sure building a new IPF is critical, I'd rather use those funds to upgrade other venues (baseball, 105, etc.). The incremental benefits would seem to outweigh the cost.
With the climate in Boone almost all sports use the Sofield facility so having a larger facility and if the current building is relocated to 105 it could possibly be used for some inside training for other teams in addition to tennis.

All of this means:

1- new 105 softball facility ASAP
2- new 105 locker rooms/public bathroom/team lounge areas etc building ASAP for TF / Softball / Tennis.
3- disassemble and store or relocate and build current IPF
4- build new IPF in existing location
5- build addition Club and premium seating

This a massive undertaking.

Where will all teams practice while there is no IPF?

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:52 am

Where will all teams practice while there is no IPF?

Go old school, practice outdoors. If they do it right, they could probably get it down and back up in new location within a few months.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:56 am

Saint3333 wrote:

The IPF is a recruiting tool as much as it is necessary for practice. Many of our peers that we recruit against have really stepped up in that area and we’ve fallen behind.
Give 'em hell!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:05 am

Saint3333 wrote:

What if I told you all can happen at the same time? Baseball has seen tremendous upgrades in the last 7ish months. Still work to do, but, the budgets are finally balanced and we are able to put more into the program on a regular basis.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:22 am

What I said was if the athletic department feels like they need this to compete then I want them to have it. But I questioned what a 100 yd IPF accomplishes that a 75yd IPF doesn’t, especially considering Shawn Clark’s preference to practice outside whenever possible.

It’ll obviously be different circumstances from when Sofield was built once we have the space to expand after softball moves. Our IPF isn’t constrained by available land.

I basically asked if this was a want or a need. But hey, if we have a donor willing to pay for it, by all means make it happen.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:53 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:22 am
What I said was if the athletic department feels like they need this to compete then I want them to have it. But I questioned what a 100 yd IPF accomplishes that a 75yd IPF doesn’t, especially considering Shawn Clark’s preference to practice outside whenever possible.

It’ll obviously be different circumstances from when Sofield was built once we have the space to expand after softball moves. Our IPF isn’t constrained by available land.

I basically asked if this was a want or a need. But hey, if we have a donor willing to pay for it, by all means make it happen.
One thing we could do with a new IPF is host indoor track meets. As it is our team practices on the concourse of the HCC.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:05 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:53 am
APPdiesel wrote:

One thing we could do with a new IPF is host indoor track meets. As it is our team practices on the concourse of the HCC.
I know that Marshall has this, and their facility has been mentioned as a benchmark for our plans, so I’d expect that to potentially be part of the final design.
Give 'em hell!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:19 pm

This is all further proof that ESPN had a huge hand in what conferences teams joined in 2021. The commitment to spend was clearly there.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:32 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:50 pm
AppGrad78 wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:57 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:02 pm
Someone should approach SECU (State employees credit union) they are flush with cash and no shareholders demanding how it be used. Their marketing budget is pretty large. I also have heard they are thinking about becoming FDIC insured, which would open up a lot of accounts for them.
SECU is flush with cash but has a minuscule advertising and marketing budget. You won’t see SECU advertised in print, radio, television or social media. The SECU Foundation typically doesn’t invest in projects like a college athletic facility. Instead, you’ll see SECU’s name on things like N.C. Public Television and Save the Haw River.
The foundation is mostly for scholarships. Each member pays $1 a month to the foundation or pays a service fee of the same amount..
Minor detail but it s $1 a month for each checking (and maybe money market) account. I have 2 checking accounts there so pay out $24 a year.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:25 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:32 pm
NewApp wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:50 pm
AppGrad78 wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:57 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:02 pm
Someone should approach SECU (State employees credit union) they are flush with cash and no shareholders demanding how it be used. Their marketing budget is pretty large. I also have heard they are thinking about becoming FDIC insured, which would open up a lot of accounts for them.
SECU is flush with cash but has a minuscule advertising and marketing budget. You won’t see SECU advertised in print, radio, television or social media. The SECU Foundation typically doesn’t invest in projects like a college athletic facility. Instead, you’ll see SECU’s name on things like N.C. Public Television and Save the Haw River.
The foundation is mostly for scholarships. Each member pays $1 a month to the foundation or pays a service fee of the same amount..
Minor detail but it s $1 a month for each checking (and maybe money market) account. I have 2 checking accounts there so pay out $24 a year.

That is what I was saying. The member has a choice. $1 a month to the foundation or pay a $1 a month service fee. I have several accounts but only 2 checking accounts. They do not charge a service fee on either of two money market accounts. Of course they don't charge on my CD accounts.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:00 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:53 am
APPdiesel wrote:

Well that does make it well worth it. I wonder if an elevated track inside can also be used for the general student and faculty population?

When you look at the North end zone facility that debt service is being paid out of:

1-food services budget
2-bookstore budget
3-general university budget for the ballroom
4-an outside tenant for space in 3rd floor
5-athletic budget

The University could again be creative with parts of paying for the new indoor practice facility out of student recreation fees.

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:21 pm

Kidd Brewer one of the best & most beautiful places to watch CFB. One thing I noticed there live & on tv in Raleigh is that turf looks terrible. It's just a few yrs old, but the black rubber looks awful 10 mins into any game. Don't love the 2 tone either. Noticed Citadel got new turf around the same time and their's looks perfect to this day. Hope next time we replace it we go with one tone and whatever company did Citadels, Ohio St, unc's, or whatever

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:38 pm

yosef95 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:21 pm
Kidd Brewer one of the best & most beautiful places to watch CFB. One thing I noticed there live & on tv in Raleigh is that turf looks terrible. It's just a few yrs old, but the black rubber looks awful 10 mins into any game. Don't love the 2 tone either. Noticed Citadel got new turf around the same time and their's looks perfect to this day. Hope next time we replace it we go with one tone and whatever company did Citadels, Ohio St, unc's, or whatever
I wonder how much of it is camera angle and lighting because in photos it looks incredible but on TV it looks duller than a Georgia Southern co-ed. I watched a late Pac12 game last week and the same thing.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:15 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:38 pm
yosef95 wrote:
I wonder how much of it is camera angle and lighting because in photos it looks incredible but on TV it looks duller than a Georgia Southern co-ed. I watched a late Pac12 game last week and the same thing.
I like the two tone, and I don’t see what you’re seeing in person. Still, Why does the infill have to be black? If it were green where it needs to be green, the black wouldn’t show up.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

tigersef

Unread post by tigersef » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:37 pm

For those in the know, could you clarify some items shown in the renderings:

- Will the upper portion of the west side stands be rebuilt to match the design of the upper portion of the east side, i.e. a main-level concourse with views of the field?
- Will the upper portion of the east side stands be replaced with a concrete structure or at least improved to remove the chain link fencing?
- Are the corner structures that connect the east and west stands to the north endzone luxury boxes?

I'm so happy to see the east side ramps become a thing of the past. I assume this will create more space on the hill for seating.

In the future, I could certainly see the lower portion of the north endzone filled in with general admission seating and field-level luxury boxes that connect to the lower portions of the east and west stands.

All of this makes me very excited for the future of what will be a much-improved KBS.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:45 pm

yosef95 wrote:
Sprinturf here in Charleston did Citadel’s field. https://www.sprinturf.com/
Repped them on some warehouse space. Might tell them to give ol Doug Gillin a call haha

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:47 pm

- Will the upper portion of the west side stands be rebuilt to match the design of the upper portion of the east side, i.e. a main-level concourse with views of the field? Eventually
- Will the upper portion of the east side stands be replaced with a concrete structure No-it will remain as or at least improved to remove the chain link fencing? Remains to be seen
- Are the corner structures that connect the east and west stands to the north endzone luxury boxes? They are loge boxes-4 and 6 person tabletops. 3 rows of 4 tables per renderings.

I'm so happy to see the east side ramps become a thing of the past. I assume this will create more space on the hill for seating. You and me (and about a million others agree!)
Give 'em hell!

tigersef

Unread post by tigersef » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:48 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:47 pm
- Will the upper portion of the west side stands be rebuilt to match the design of the upper portion of the east side, i.e. a main-level concourse with views of the field? Eventually
- Will the upper portion of the east side stands be replaced with a concrete structure No-it will remain as or at least improved to remove the chain link fencing? Remains to be seen
- Are the corner structures that connect the east and west stands to the north endzone luxury boxes? They are loge boxes-4 and 6 person tabletops. 3 rows of 4 tables per renderings.

I'm so happy to see the east side ramps become a thing of the past. I assume this will create more space on the hill for seating. You and me (and about a million others agree!)
Thank you for the information. This is very helpful!

AppSt91

Unread post by AppSt91 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:02 am

How about just fixing the crumbling east side concrete, ditching the bleachers for actual seats (with cup holders for my cup with ice, thank you) and improving cell/data service so that it actually works.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”