Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

TX St discussion

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: TX St discussion

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:02 am

I really hate when people generate scenarios that have us losing games- we won on a Hail Mary, barely beat A&M, etc. At the end of those games we won. You can find teams everywhere, every season who won nailbiters or pulled out a miracle. It happens. What matters ultimately is to score at least one more point. Often in close games you might go back and look at a pass that didn't get caught which might have been a score, a barely missed FG, etc. Obviously we are a Hail Mary failure from 2-3 but a missed 2 point conversion from 4-1. It's a crazy game. We really have some folks on here who simply dwell too much on games that are OVER. There is nothing that can be done to change those outcomes. We should have the 24 hour rule. Once the clock hits 24 hours after any game the thread for that games gets deleted.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:42 am

AppSt12 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:21 pm
Yosefus wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:54 am
We need to be careful. This could be a Trap Game!
We needed a hail mary to beat Troy and lost to JMU after leading 28-3. Shawn clark is like 3-9 or something against teams of comparable stature. We are 3-4 in our last 7 games. Every game is a trap game.

If it were not for the tamu win...which was just incredible...we would all easily recognize this to be our lowest point in FBS...and by far.
Nope. For some reason, you seem to think of Troy as if they are last year's team. New coach + transfer portal has Troy looking very legit. Other than our MOTM2 win, their only loss is a 28-10 loss to an undefeated Ole Miss team. Yes, we could have played better but this is what playing a very tough FBS schedule looks like. JMU is pretty legit, and we were missing two key defensive players and coming off of 3 highly emotional / intense games. Maybe we should start looking forward to the next game instead of whining about the past. By the way, if you omit the best wins from ANY season, it starts looking bad. If not for the Michigan win and the national championship, 2007 looks bad with losses to Wofford and GS. See how I did that? If I'm not mistaken, we SHARED the SoCon championship that year with Wofford....who had the tie-breaker over us with a head to head win.

Maybe you have forgotten 2017 which included consecutive losses to ULM and UMass. No, those teams weren't power houses in 2017. ULM is actually better now than they were then. TERRIBLE losses. That season ended with a shut out win over a very good Toledo team. Losses happen. It sucks and no App fan is happy with either of our losses, but relax and enjoy the rest of the season. Conference play is just getting started.

GO APPS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:57 am

AppSt12 wrote:
Yosefus wrote:
We needed a hail mary to beat Troy and lost to JMU after leading 28-3. Shawn clark is like 3-9 or something against teams of comparable stature. We are 3-4 in our last 7 games. Every game is a trap game.

If it were not for the tamu win...which was just incredible...we would all easily recognize this to be our lowest point in FBS...and by far.
But we all knew, or at least thought that this was a rebuilding year. Replacing half the defensive starters and all of the WRs is not easy for anyone.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:17 am

If, if, if,…. I really do not get the “hate” for SC. People want to use the last six games ( going back to another season with completely different players and coaches and suggesting the they are all the same when they are clearly not, just to try to support their argument) or “comparable teams.” I agree with ‘94 when you have to replace 7 defensive starters and all your wide receivers and throw in multiple injuries to the same position groups…. that is not a recipe for being a dominating program. Let the season play and let’s see where we are at the end of the regular season.

Appstate71192

Unread post by Appstate71192 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:52 am

People forget we lost to Umass and Monroe in the same season while barely getting by Idaho and a few others. We will be fine under Clark as long as the defense gets figured out.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:07 am

Please "educate" me here, why do we have to replace 7 defensive starters all at once? Is this a rebuild vice reload situation? Or, just something SC took over from previous recruiting, current recruiting, player development or what? Is this a situation we should expect every three to four years? Once again, please "educate" me.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:28 am

It's the nature of the business. Fans can be fickle. Some can be unreasonable.

I can remember 2004 when a lot of people wanted to run Jerry Moore out of town. How about our first two seasons under Satterfield when we struggled and someone put a for sale sign in his front yard.

Got to exercise some patience and let these things play out. Constructive criticism is one thing, but some of what is done or said is pretty stupid.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:39 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:07 am
Please "educate" me here, why do we have to replace 7 defensive starters all at once? Is this a rebuild vice reload situation? Or, just something SC took over from previous recruiting, or what?
It’s somewhere in between the two. The term “reload” implies that you can plug and play and not skip a beat. We replaced guys that consistently performed at a high level. Over time, the guys in there now may prove to be better than what we lost, but right now, five games in, they are lacking consistency. Recruiting plays a piece in it as well. We have struggled with recruiting secondary guys for years. There are a lot of factors involved in that. Different coaches in that position prefer different styles and builds. We have had medically retire and some that just quit. In an ideal world, Ethan Johnson is Red Shirting and Milan Tucker is still playing WR, but they are now getting significant reps at CB.

We have had the same issue with QBs. The three guys recruited here as high school kids were all recruited by different QB coaches/OCs. (Tabscott, Burger, McHugh)

My point is that Clark is right in that winning is hard. What you see on Saturdays is the by product of a machine with thousands of moving parts that don’t always work perfectly.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:55 am

Hopefully the players we currently have will prove to be much better than the previous ones. Fingers crossed. In the mean time, seeing that after five games in we are still lacking consistency, is there a way to gauge or expected to see things improve? Or, have we already seen some improvement?

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:07 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:42 am
AppSt12 wrote:
Yosefus wrote:

Nope. For some reason, you seem to think of Troy as if they are last year's team. New coach + transfer portal has Troy looking very legit. Other than our MOTM2 win, their only loss is a 28-10 loss to an undefeated Ole Miss team. Yes, we could have played better but this is what playing a very tough FBS schedule looks like. JMU is pretty legit, and we were missing two key defensive players and coming off of 3 highly emotional / intense games. Maybe we should start looking forward to the next game instead of whining about the past. By the way, if you omit the best wins from ANY season, it starts looking bad. If not for the Michigan win and the national championship, 2007 looks bad with losses to Wofford and GS. See how I did that? If I'm not mistaken, we SHARED the SoCon championship that year with Wofford....who had the tie-breaker over us with a head to head win.

Maybe you have forgotten 2017 which included consecutive losses to ULM and UMass. No, those teams weren't power houses in 2017. ULM is actually better now than they were then. TERRIBLE losses. That season ended with a shut out win over a very good Toledo team. Losses happen. It sucks and no App fan is happy with either of our losses, but relax and enjoy the rest of the season. Conference play is just getting started.

GO APPS!
I was about to say the same thing as you did in your second paragraph. That 2017 season App also beat Coastal Carolina, Idaho, and Texas State by a touchdown or less. Those teams were NOT good that year. That and the first half of the 2014 season were very obviously the lowest points of App's time in FBS. Recency bias is a helluva drug.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:08 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:55 am
Hopefully the players we currently have will prove to be much better than the previous ones. Fingers crossed. In the mean time, seeing that after five games in we are still lacking consistency, is there a way to gauge or expected to see things improve? Or, have we already seen some improvement?
I think that you are seeing improvements without seeing improvements manifest in obvious plays. Meaning that it’s a slowly progressing process. Looking at stats and scoreboards and transitive results versus common opponents aren’t good measures to satisfy self imposed expectations. It has to more granular in that is each guy winning his one-on-one battle each play. When a play busts, who didn’t win their battle. For example, a lot is made of our lack of pressure from the DL. In truth, if the LBs are gobbling up sacks and tackles, then the DL is doing their job in the run game.

Offensively, the OL takes some flack but a lot of the hurries, hits and sacks are on Brice because he has no problem standing in the pocket until the last second to allow a route to develop.

In short, you can’t necessarily trust your eyes to gauge the true issue.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:11 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:55 am
I'd say three measurable things that would show improvement are:
1. Scoring during the "middle 8"- we need to play better and score more during the last 4 minutes of 1st half and first 4 minutes of 2nd half.
2. Decrease points allowed on defense.
3. Decrease yards allowed, especially passing yards, on defense.

To me, that would show that our offense and defense are improving. It will be especially interesting to see how these stats change in conference play. Stats can get very wonky when all you've played are P5 teams or FCS teams. I'd like to see what we look like against peer competition.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:17 am

IMO, I believe we will see improvement in the players on D this year. Whether that is reflected on the scoreboard, that may or may not show in actual score. They need live game action. In addition to position coaches, we had 3 HCs in three years. Recruiting is a always fickle with HC changes, especially when one of HCs was looking for another job before the ink was dry on his contract with App. St. I personally believe that impacts the current team as I believe those missing recruiting classes would be juniors and seniors right now. Although we may have superstars from day one from time to time...our history has been to find under-recruited players or players that may not fit P5 and they grow into it after within program for a few years. This would be the year for these recruits we do not have. It seems we are doing better over past year or more with QB, RB and some other young guys on D...two on D of which we are taking off RS status if memory serves me correct.
Looking forward to improvement this year and beyond....and hopefully we win games along the way this year to the SBC Championship. With that said. Hopefully, the stormtroopers go 1-0 this week against Tx. St. (Who cannot actually do a blackout properly .. non black helmets..okay.,😂)
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:30 am

1. Scoring during the "middle 8"- we need to play better and score more during the last 4 minutes of 1st half and first 4 minutes of 2nd half. I think that this is something that is going to plague us all year. No real reason to think this but there is always something that you have to overcome.
2. Decrease points allowed on defense. We are averaging 7 more points allowed per game than 2020 & 2021. You can’t discount any one game but we have given up 137 points this season. Almost half came in one game.
3. Decrease yards allowed, especially passing yards, on defense. We are averaging 4 yards less through the air than last year. 17 more on the ground.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:45 am

That is all true. We are like 4th or 5th in conference with pass defense…. we are like 8th in run defense…. We are giving up currently 7 more points per game but I feel pretty confident we’ll get that down to the low 20’s… maybe 22 by the end of the season. We have been a top 30 defense pretty regularly since moving up but this season with so many new players it’s taken awhile. How many times have you heard SC talk about “dirty eyes” referring to the defense… that is a constant problem with really inexperienced players…. I fully believe these players will be better over time… they make a great play then they make a bonehead play… this is what is causing the inconsistency…. which is very normal from inexperienced players. Be patient good things will happen.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:18 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:57 am
AppSt12 wrote:
Yosefus wrote:

But we all knew, or at least thought that this was a rebuilding year. Replacing half the defensive starters and all of the WRs is not easy for anyone.
And all while playing our toughest schedule ever. These negative nellies have no perspective.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:54 am

AppinATL wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:18 am
AppSt94 wrote:
AppSt12 wrote:
Yosefus wrote:

And all while playing our toughest schedule ever. These negative nellies have no perspective.
I think the original point is valid. “Trap games” usually refer to games you’re supposed win easy. You’re felling good, and you have a chance of loosing focus. We’ve had one easy win, we’re not in a position to be feeling too good about things so right now we shouldn’t have a “trap game”. We should be thinking anything could happen, practicing hard and staying focused. Troy and JMU were supposed to be easy wins.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:06 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:54 am
AppinATL wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppSt12 wrote:
Yosefus wrote:

I think the original point is valid. “Trap games” usually refer to games you’re supposed win easy. You’re felling good, and you have a chance of loosing focus. We’ve had one easy win, we’re not in a position to be feeling too good about things so right now we shouldn’t have a “trap game”. We should be thinking anything could happen, practicing hard and staying focused. Troy and JMU were supposed to be easy wins.
Who said? That’s the issue. Nothing is easy. We scored 61 at home and lost and went on the road, scored 17 and won. Football is wild and winning isn’t easy.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:15 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:06 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:54 am
AppinATL wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppSt12 wrote:

Who said? That’s the issue. Nothing is easy. We scored 61 at home and lost and went on the road, scored 17 and won. Football is wild and winning isn’t easy.
Who said Troy and JMU should have been easy wins? If that’s the question a bunch of people, heck JMU is transitioning up to FBS and we’re supposed to be one of the best G5 teams. By the way, I agree that anything can happen but if everyone agreed with that thought there would be no “trap games”.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:17 am

Troy and JMU easy games??? - Not in todays world - No way ---
Citadel and RMU would be the only ones considered easy wins
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”