Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Gameday Experience

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Gameday Experience

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:51 am

Decent crowd given weather expectations.

I DO have a major complaint. We sit in the NEZ. The music is so loud people have to take hearing aids out😀, and as much as I like music, playing it that loud right up to the snap every down is killing in person enjoyment. It cuts out the band and student led cheers as well. Just to make sure I was t being a killjoy I asked everyone around me their opinion. I am not alone.

goapps93

Re: Gameday Experience

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:00 pm

I'm in the west stands and I agree that the music is too loud. It is also too much. There were many times when it was playing over the PA announcer and/or the referee. Close to the end of the game it sounded like a speaker had been blown because there was a lot of buzz in the music.
WE ARE YOSEF!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:04 pm

Agreed.. especially on the Student Cheers... nothing like last year. I believe that, in many cases, they are not sure when to cheer or expecting the music to nullify what they are doing. The UNC game pretty good. Since then, it has not been as good as last year. The student section going crazy during the games is the best part. I would have said the band, however I have not been impressed during in game experience. Halftime show fine ...just the "during the game" experience with the band leaves much to be desired.

I am in NEZ as well.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:06 pm

Was this something that was more prevalent yesterday or more of a systemic issue the entire season?

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:10 pm

Does the band even play during the game anymore? I didn't hear much at all listening to the radio call. I heard the crowd okay but didn't hear many App - State cheers. The music came through just fine.

A pretty stark contrast while watching the Clemson State game last night where the Clemson band was playing during every stoppage.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:11 pm

RankinApp wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:10 pm
Does the band even play during the game anymore? I didn't hear much at all listening to the radio call. I heard the crowd okay but didn't hear many App - State cheers. The music came through just fine.

A pretty stark contrast while watching the Clemson State game last night where the Clemson band was playing during every stoppage.
They do play. I don't know why we don't mic them.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:15 pm

I was impressed with the quality of the music. The Coolio segment was a nice touch. If I could tweak one thing, though, the audio should be cut as soon as the offense gets set. Too often the music was blaring while the quarterback was calling plays.

TheHardestPart06

Unread post by TheHardestPart06 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:44 pm

Not that you all aren’t entitled to your opinions. But I remember when the music selection was terrible and it was cutting out at inconsistent times. Everyone on here was complaining about it then (rightfully so). Now we have what seems to be a true DJ and it’s too loud, so really when is it ever going to make everyone happy? Never!

I say keep it coming! Cheers

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:31 pm

Has anyone voiced these issues to DG?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:40 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:31 pm
Has anyone voiced these issues to DG?
I sit in the NEZ and honestly, it isn’t something that grabs my attention. Is this an ongoing issue this season? I only ask because if it was a big issue yesterday, I wonder if the crowd and energy level played into the issue. Love got ice in my cup, so I’m pretty content. :D

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:05 pm

Every time this issue comes up, there will be someone who says the complaint about the music it's just coming from an old person. However, I still think it is not appropriate to blast music in between downs. More often than not, the DJ is still blaring the music which is already too loud, either while the referees are trying to make a call, or when the quarterback is trying to take a snap. I just don't understand why that is allowed. And quite honestly, it is much more annoying if the game id not close or if we are not playing well. When that music comes blaring in and we're not playing well, I want to blow up the DJ booth.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:26 pm

It used to be illegal for the band to play while the opposing team had the ball. Not sure what the rule is but it seems like bad sportsmanship to me. It has been bad all year. Too much but I am in my 50's so maybe I am getting old. One thing for sure, the students are having a good time.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:31 pm

RankinApp wrote:

I feel like the band is playing more than in years past. I’m not a big fan of the canned music but I know some people like it. I think a good solution might be to save the canned music for pre-game and during time outs and let the band play during the course of play. Where the band is now, I know most in the West stands probably can’t hear them st all. The best place for the band is the end zone as both sides of the stadium can hear them. Not possible now because of the premium seating in the NEZ. I wish they’d left the temporary bleachers there all season or create permanent seating there.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:34 pm

I’m old…sure….and I announce HS hoops games and have a playlist of stuff but I never let it interfere with the game flow, cheerleaders or pep band.

Saturday the DJ got on my last nerve and I don’t think the students would care if stuff was dialed back.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:11 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:11 pm
RankinApp wrote:

They do play. I don't know why we don't mic them.
The PA music would just be turned up more.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:12 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:34 pm
I’m old…sure….and I announce HS hoops games and have a playlist of stuff but I never let it interfere with the game flow, cheerleaders or pep band.

Saturday the DJ got on my last nerve and I don’t think the students would care if stuff was dialed back.
Why do we even need the PA music? Heck, just have another Luke Combs concert to fulfill that craving.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:35 pm

Watch any big time college football game and all you hear is band, never pipped in music during the game. Unleash the band, it’s so much better and feels like college football, not NBA filler while they bring the ball up the court

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:51 pm

I'm fine with the band. I'm fine with PA music. The one thing I truly do not understand is why we have to play snippets of just a few seconds of a song between plays. Who enjoys that? Even if it's your absolute favorite song, does it really enhance your experience to hear five seconds of it, only to have it cut off just as you're starting to get into it?

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:45 am

Since the wind was blowing and there were empty rows below us, we moved down 10 rows from the top of the East stands. There was a noticeable difference (volume much louder) in the music.

Went to a Panthers preseason game last year and the music was so loud that it was almost unbearable.

I know they are busy, but it would be great for a member of the athletics staff to make the rounds during the game and talk to season ticket holders in different parts of the stadium about their experience.

Beyond the music, the game day experience is much improved for fans. Great job by whoever oversaw the improvements!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:58 am

We sat basically above the band Saturday so we heard them. I agree with those who aren't crazy about the couple of seconds tunes that are played between seemingly every play. Someone must think that there can't even be silence (so to speak) for 27 seconds between a play. I'd rather hear the band and leave the piped in stuff for the 6:00 minutes or so before the half when the band is walking down to the field.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”