Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Miss.St. vs App.St.?

asu1978

Miss.St. vs App.St.?

Unread post by asu1978 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:18 am

Miss.St. Students vs. TA&M Sat. Had on their chests App State vs Miss.St. Let's take them up on it. :D

MrCraig
School: Appalachian State

Re: Miss.St. vs App.St.?

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:28 am

We don’t want that. Mississippi State runs an air raid style offense, and Will Rogers is probably the most slept-on QB in the nation. He’s going to make a lot of money in the NFL.
If you want a repeat of the bowl game against WKU, except a lot worse, that’s what you’d get.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:54 am

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:28 am
We don’t want that. Mississippi State runs an air raid style offense, and Will Rogers is probably the most slept-on QB in the nation. He’s going to make a lot of money in the NFL.
If you want a repeat of the bowl game against WKU, except a lot worse, that’s what you’d get.
Play e'm in the rain sleet and snow, that will negate the air raid offense to a major degree.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:08 am

Anyone, anytime, anywhere.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:02 am

If we scheduled them, it would be 2037 or something crazy given football schedules. Will Rogers will be their coach by then...as stated above.. anyone anytime.anywhere.and any place.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:42 am

NewApp wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:54 am
MrCraig wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:28 am
Play e'm in the rain sleet and snow, that will negate the air raid offense to a major degree.
Yeah, they don’t get a lot of sleet and snow in Starkville.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:46 am

appstate77 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:08 am
I love that our program has that mindset. I’m just explaining what would more than likely happen in a hypothetical matchup between these two teams. And then someone would start a thread about how our program is devolving right before our eyes and some serious thought needs to be put in to getting a completely new coaching staff.
I have a lot of family that went to Mississippi State. They are a mid-tier SEC team. I’m just saying that their specific strengths exploit our specific weaknesses, which would most likely end with a very ugly score against App.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:59 am

Some said we did not want to play Texas A&M....😂
#99ForPresident!!

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:03 am

Good point.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:21 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:59 am
I agree anyone at any time but I can see why MrCraig would feel this way. MSU has a QB that is much closer to Drake Maye than A&M does. We all thought A&M's QB play would be a lot better but it is clear that they are not a top 10 team by now and that is thanks to the QB because they have skill position weapons and a very good defense. If A&M had a QB like Drake Maye or if UNC had a defense like A&M's then imagine what that would be like. We probably lose by 30 or so.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:12 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:21 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
I agree anyone at any time but I can see why MrCraig would feel this way. MSU has a QB that is much closer to Drake Maye than A&M does. We all thought A&M's QB play would be a lot better but it is clear that they are not a top 10 team by now and that is thanks to the QB because they have skill position weapons and a very good defense. If A&M had a QB like Drake Maye or if UNC had a defense like A&M's then imagine what that would be like. We probably lose by 30 or so.
You do you...and I will have my perspective..
#99ForPresident!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:31 am

I'm confused is the premise of this thread debating how we would do against Miss State if we played (say next week) or next season or 10 years from now. Play next week they probably blow the doors off of us considering we are banged up a bit at some key positions. Play next year do they bring back key personnel that potentially makes them stronger? If we are talking 10 years away who the hell knows what either program is like.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:10 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:12 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
His point was look at how we have done with NFL QBs. The last 2 we played are Maye and Zappe. We gave up 59 and 63 with losses to both. You are looking at A&M as a whole and we are talking about QB specific matchups. His point, and hard to dispute, is that we struggle with NFL QBs. I expected Texas A&M to be better than they have shown but I also never saw them as a top 10 team. They just don't have a good QB so they don't fall under the same matchup as Miss State would.

I have not seen this debated but the Sun Belt could finish with 3 ranked teams, if we get our stuff together. If JMU wins out, we win out, Coastal only losses to App, and South Alabama wins out except for the SBC title game then we could have 3 ranked teams and 1 RV in the final poll. That is assuming all 4 won a bowl game and opponents like A&M, UNC, MTSU, and UCLA of those teams all end up with a strong finish. We have to get a lot better before we worry about it but that would be a historic season for the league.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:14 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:10 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
His point was look at how we have done with NFL QBs. The last 2 we played are Maye and Zappe gave up 59 and 63 with losses to both. You are looking at A&M as a whole and we are talking about QB specific matchups. His point, and hard to dispute, is that we struggle with NFL QBs. I expected Texas A&M to be better than they have shown but I also never saw them as a top 10 team. They just don't have a good QB so they don't fall under the same matchup as Miss State would.

I have not seen this debated but the Sun Belt could finish with 3 ranked teams, if we get our stuff together. If JMU wins out, we win out, Coastal only losses to App, and South Alabama wins out except for the SBC title game then we could have 3 ranked teams and 1 RV in the final poll. That is assuming all 4 won a bowl game and opponents like A&M, UNC, MTSU, and UCLA of those teams all end up with a strong finish. We have to get a lot better before we worry about it but that would be a historic season for the league.
Thanks for understanding my point. I certainly wouldn’t WANT App to lose. There’s the possibility that, in this hypothetical matchup happening this season, if App ran the ball well and ran a good clock control offense like against Texas A&M AND the defense played lights out against MSU’s air raid, App could win. One of the air raid’s biggest faults is it lends itself to a lot of quick 3-and-outs. That COULD be exploited if App held the ball well. However, I’d imagine Will Rogers would have a field day with our, so far, sub-par secondary.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:18 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:14 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
His point was look at how we have done with NFL QBs. The last 2 we played are Maye and Zappe gave up 59 and 63 with losses to both. You are looking at A&M as a whole and we are talking about QB specific matchups. His point, and hard to dispute, is that we struggle with NFL QBs. I expected Texas A&M to be better than they have shown but I also never saw them as a top 10 team. They just don't have a good QB so they don't fall under the same matchup as Miss State would.

Thanks for understanding my point. I certainly wouldn’t WANT App to lose. There’s the possibility that, in this hypothetical matchup happening this season, if App ran the ball well and ran a good clock control offense like against Texas A&M AND the defense played lights out against MSU’s air raid, App could win. One of the air raid’s biggest faults is it lends itself to a lot of quick 3-and-outs. That COULD be exploited if App held the ball well. However, I’d imagine Will Rogers would have a field day with our, so far, sub-par secondary.
I would purposely want to keep MSU's offense off the field and wear their defense out. If Rogers is on the field for 40 minutes of the game we lose but if we could hold the ball for 40 minutes to keep him off the field with a few 3 and out possessions then I would like our chances. I just saw how our defense did with Maye and Zappe and I would be worried about more of the same. If you depend on your offense to score 60+ just to beat those type QBs you can't keep it up. The defense would have to hold them under 30 just to give us a slight chance.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:54 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
His point was look at how we have done with NFL QBs. The last 2 we played are Maye and Zappe. We gave up 59 and 63 with losses to both. You are looking at A&M as a whole and we are talking about QB specific matchups. His point, and hard to dispute, is that we struggle with NFL QBs. I expected Texas A&M to be better than they have shown but I also never saw them as a top 10 team. They just don't have a good QB so they don't fall under the same matchup as Miss State would.

I understand exactly what his point was. MY POINT is that we are a program of play anyone, anytime anywhere...if we had a "fear of failure" mentality, we would have never scheduled Michigan, Texas A&M, Penn State, Tenn, UNC, USC, etc. We would schedule OOC games with YMCA and whomever the Beach Chickens play every year to be 5 -0, 6-0, etc each year. I do NOT want to be that program. Games are played on the field. Schedule them and play them... anyone, anytime, anywhere...
#99ForPresident!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:56 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:46 am
appstate77 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:08 am
I love that our program has that mindset. I’m just explaining what would more than likely happen in a hypothetical matchup between these two teams. And then someone would start a thread about how our program is devolving right before our eyes and some serious thought needs to be put in to getting a completely new coaching staff.
I have a lot of family that went to Mississippi State. They are a mid-tier SEC team. I’m just saying that their specific strengths exploit our specific weaknesses, which would most likely end with a very ugly score against App.

Start a thread? I don't know anything about your topic, but I think I'll start one just to see daze cry about it.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:02 pm

NewApp wrote:

The last time we played in these conditions against fair weathered flatlanders we were handed our hat and shown the door.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:30 pm

GreatAppSt wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:02 pm
NewApp wrote:

The last time we played in these conditions against fair weathered flatlanders we were handed our hat and shown the door.
I never get why some folks think that we have some advantage with games in crappy weather. During any typical season probably half of our games are in nice weather conditions. We recruit lots of kids from Florida and even Georgia who aren't used to sleet, snow and wind. You can't exactly simulate it and we use an indoor facility during really bad days.

Captain Morgan

Unread post by Captain Morgan » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:37 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:31 am
I'm confused is the premise of this thread debating how we would do against Miss State if we played (say next week) or next season or 10 years from now.
me too...I didn't see it, but a friend at church said the camera was showing Miss St. students, and one or two had a shirt or sign that said "We want App St."

I was hoping someone had a pic of it...my understanding was it was a joke, a little dig at TAMU and a little nod of respect to App.

Schedules are made years in advance...we're not playing Miss St anytime soon...it was just some students having fun from my understanding...again I didn't see it, maybe I don't understand the context. Seems pointless to talk about how we'd fare against them...both teams could be under different coaching staff before we ever got scheduled, if both schools administrations even wanted to talk about it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”