Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Scheduling The Citadel Again

T-Dog

Re: Scheduling The Citadel Again

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:54 pm

When App moved up, I said that App shouldn't schedule any of the current SoCon members for 10 years. Playing Elon last year and Citadel this year were 7 and 8 years removed from leaving the SoCon, but it was fine. Elon especially since they're in state.

I'm fine playing ETSU every 3-4 years. Local game, easy travel and they've scheduled App in many other sports.

I'd now be fine with Western, if they want to. I'd like to see NC Central and NC A&T. Gardner-Webb and Campbell have come up and I'd be fine with them again. Furman and Wofford....maybe. I'll take them over FCS teams that have to fly in.

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:48 pm

The plan is to play one FCS a year as it requires no return game and HC or Parents Weekend is going to sell out.We aren't going to WCU or any other FCS .Don't be surprised to see them in KBS ,coaches and administrations change...

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:06 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:48 pm
The plan is to play one FCS a year as it requires no return game and HC or Parents Weekend is going to sell out.We aren't going to WCU or any other FCS .Don't be surprised to see them in KBS ,coaches and administrations change...
Yes, some year WCU will need a money game and we will be there. We don't have to give Alabama money as their travel costs would be less, and we could couple it with some other concessions if needed with other sports, maybe play them baseball at their place two years in a row. Maybe they will have a once in a generation up-year and it could be a fun game even.

I would love to play them every now and then as the FCS game that year but it is more on them being desperate for that larger paycheck than it is on us to find an FCS to play us it would seem. They are 3-2 this year with losses to GT and a ranked Samford. One of their best starts in years.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:11 pm

Kerwin Bell is doing a good job , in difficult circumstances.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:32 pm

Just looked at Robert Morris schedule. They lost to ETSU 45-3. ETSU lost to Citadel. That should be a game where no one plays after the first 20 minutes or so. I would love to see Berger as well.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:33 pm

I'd actually like to go to Western one more time. I want to bury that rivalry deep in the southern Apps. I also want it for one more trip of nostalgia. After that, they can come to us for 400k-500k once every five years and just rotate the other four years with the other instate programs like Campbell, elon, A&T, Central, Gardner Webb, and ecu.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:24 pm

No.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:45 pm

Let's go to Moretz Stadium at L-R while we are at it. /s

Does any FBS conferences allow a team to visit an FCS school?

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:48 pm

App 2004-2006, Big schools should play us more often. Maybe we beat one, and it's awesome or something.
App 2007--Big programs are scared to play us. Fellow NC schools are scared to play us cuz we will come in and take their lunch money.
App 2008-2012--JM just can't get us over the hump. L-ECU, LSU,fl, VTech, ECU again. ECU giving us two shots as FCS.
App 2014 L at Michigan and southern miss. one big one little team giving the new FBS arrival games.
App2015-2021- full FBS team getting tn, Miami in Boone, etc. our buttons are starting to burst, being given opportunities to play bigger programs.
App-2022.....what? a little FCS school wants to play the MiGhTy G5 App state? NEVER! We don't need them. They don't deserve us. There will be plenty of lapdogs simply begging for our money.

How far we have come indeed.....

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:19 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:48 pm
App 2004-2006, Big schools should play us more often. Maybe we beat one, and it's awesome or something.
App 2007--Big programs are scared to play us. Fellow NC schools are scared to play us cuz we will come in and take their lunch money.
App 2008-2012--JM just can't get us over the hump. L-ECU, LSU,fl, VTech, ECU again. ECU giving us two shots as FCS.
App 2014 L at Michigan and southern miss. one big one little team giving the new FBS arrival games.
App2015-2021- full FBS team getting tn, Miami in Boone, etc. our buttons are starting to burst, being given opportunities to play bigger programs.
App-2022.....what? a little FCS school wants to play the MiGhTy G5 App state? NEVER! We don't need them. They don't deserve us. There will be plenty of lapdogs simply begging for our money.

Who is saying we should not play an FCS school? I think some of us would prefer to not play 2 FCS schools a year due to the wins needed for a bowl threshold, but we understand what happened this year. And do any FBS conferences allow their members to play away games at FCS schools?

Great5 schools need a strong SOS for the NY6 Bowl and loading up on FCS is not how its done. I am all for a more equal distribution of the wealth in college athletics but there are limits on what we can do and how much power we have to posture with about how things should be. One FCS a year is good for our program but one is enough. If we had 1 Prig5 game with 3 Great5 games some years I would not weep for any in-state FCS schools that missed out that year. Some will not play us given what we can offer so it is a two-way street with App holding all the cards.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:27 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:45 pm
Let's go to Moretz Stadium at L-R while we are at it. /s

Does any FBS conferences allow a team to visit an FCS school?
Don’t know where I read it but I saw it a few years ago that an FBS school cannot go to a FCS school.

AppKing21

Unread post by AppKing21 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:47 am

Coastal went to Campbell during one of their first years in FBS, but that was due to a hurricane. Under no circumstances should App be willing to travel to an FCS school.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:50 am

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:32 pm
Just looked at Robert Morris schedule. They lost to ETSU 45-3. ETSU lost to Citadel. That should be a game where no one plays after the first 20 minutes or so. I would love to see Berger as well.
I have been saying the same. We would beat the wheels off them with our #2s and #3s playing. I want to see a lot of Berger and Roberts.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:58 am

I think we should play 2 FCS teams each year. Second being a Robert Morris type team. Brings in a lot more money, another home game, rest the starters after the 1st quarter and gives the backups and true redshirt guys a chance to play. Robert Morris most likely has mid to lower tier FCS recruits while our true freshmen are FBS recruits. I'm pretty sure our true freshmen and redshirt freshmen would beat them in a game. I know the only negative argument about playing this extra game is there is a chance of getting a starter hurt and I do get that.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:41 am

appdaze wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:48 pm

Playing an FCS is necessary to get the number of home games most fans want. I have no issue at all with playing a fully-funded FCS school at home. There is no circumstance, however, in which we should ever consider playing an FCS on the road. I don't think the Sun Belt allows it, but even if they did, there is nothing for us to gain from doing it. If Western wants to play App, they can come to Boone and collect a check or they can sit in Cullowhee and pout. There are any number of FCS schools in the vicinity who will be more than happy to cash that check.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:35 am

If our AD accepted a deal to play at an FCS school, I would expect that the press release announcing the game also included said AD’s resignation. That would be absolutely unacceptable, past history or not.
Give 'em hell!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:20 am

https://sunbeltsports.org/documents/202 ... ations.pdf
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/AMA/Division%20 ... 8%2010.pdf

Army played at Yale 2014
UTSA played at Georgia State
Ball state plated at Illinois state 2014
Idaho played at Montana 2003

That is just from a quick google search. I saw quite a few from back in the 1A/1AA days of the 70's to early 90's. I haven't read anything yet that says you can't do it. Something tells me none of these AD's handed in their resignations after the schedule was announced.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:33 am

But why would we? What advantage does provide us? Are we getting payday to travel to an FCS? We need away OOC games that help pocketbook as well as level of competition. Maybe I am missing something...Personally, I hope our AD does not schedule away games at FCS. Just my opinion.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:37 am

AppState89 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:58 am
I think we should play 2 FCS teams each year. Second being a Robert Morris type team. Brings in a lot more money, another home game, rest the starters after the 1st quarter and gives the backups and true redshirt guys a chance to play. Robert Morris most likely has mid to lower tier FCS recruits while our true freshmen are FBS recruits. I'm pretty sure our true freshmen and redshirt freshmen would beat them in a game. I know the only negative argument about playing this extra game is there is a chance of getting a starter hurt and I do get that.
I may be missing your point, but adding a second FCS school, doesn't add an extra game. We aren't playing an extra game this year, just an extra home game.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:40 am

This thread has actually gotten worse in the last 24 hours, I didn't know that was possible.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”