Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Scheduling The Citadel Again

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Scheduling The Citadel Again

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:32 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:30 pm
NewApp wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:08 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:19 pm
Would rather schedule in state FCS teams.

I know some will disagree with that but I’d rather our FCS team always be Gardner Webb, Elon, Western, or UNC Charlotte.
Western Carolina is on record saying that if they have to come to Boone to play, they "ain't" coming.
They “ain’t” shown up in Boone in nearly 40 years.
I agree. We have surpassed them for sure. And it "ain't" going to change unless it is a fluke season for both. Us down and them up.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:15 pm

AppinVA wrote:
NewApp wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

I know some will disagree with that but I’d rather our FCS team always be Gardner Webb, Elon, Western, or UNC Charlotte.
Western Carolina is on record saying that if they have to come to Boone to play, they "ain't" coming.
I’m aware I’m in the minority but I’d love to host western, even annually. I’m aware it “does nothing for us”, but that’s the same statement UNC or NC State makes regarding us. I’m a fan of old rivalries, always will be.

I’m also a fan of injecting money into Appalachia whenever possible.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:51 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:15 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:07 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:45 pm
We have no reason to schedule them any more now that Georgia Southern doesn't run that middle school offense any more. That is the only reason we scheduled it to begin with -- to warm up for the stink.
Speculation or fact?

How would we have known that The Citadel would still run this same offense when we scheduled it, or Georgia Southern for that matter?
It's speculation. Of course you don't know what the future holds, but considering their history of running it, them being a military school, and inability to get to top tier talent (due to military school aspect), I'd put money they'll be running it if we play them again.

It is a fact that Gillin wants to schedule in state FCS programs as much as possible.
I agree that if we schedule FCS it should be NC schools only. I know WCU wants App to come to their place and that’s not happening. We truly have no reason to schedule Citadel again since GSU changed offense as you said as well. Gardner-Webb is happy to play us. Could try NCAT and NCCU. I bet both of them would take the check.

As for FCS in general you could make an argument to avoid with the playoff so we have a good resume unless we play a top G5 and a top tier P5 in same year.

It will be interesting to see what Gillin does though. Whatever we think should happen isn’t always possible to happen. It takes two teams to agree and some teams just don’t want to play us.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:53 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:15 pm
AppinVA wrote:
NewApp wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

I’m aware I’m in the minority but I’d love to host western, even annually. I’m aware it “does nothing for us”, but that’s the same statement UNC or NC State makes regarding us. I’m a fan of old rivalries, always will be.

I’m also a fan of injecting money into Appalachia whenever possible.
Rumor is that Gillin has tried WCU but they had crazy demands that we just can’t do. I personally think they don’t want to play us unless we come there because they want the payday. They know their stadium would sellout and they could charge double for App to come to town. I’m fine with playing them as long as they come to us.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:16 am

What basis does this thread even have?

We’ll schedule whatever FCS team wants a few hundred thousand. If it’s in-state great, if none of them want it fine.

Don’t over think this.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:07 am

VNova wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:09 pm
AppDub wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:41 pm
VNova wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:24 pm
ah59396 wrote:

Toss in A&T, NCCU, UNCW, Campbell, & Davidson before UNCC. Might as well make it a challenging FCS team.
When did UNCW get a team?
I misspoke on that one, but thought it'd be funny to keep it in as a team to play before UNCC.
Totally agree with the slight on UNC Concord.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:27 am

NewApp wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:05 pm
VNova wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:24 pm
ah59396 wrote:

Toss in A&T, NCCU, UNCW, Campbell, & Davidson before UNCC. Might as well make it a challenging FCS team.

Doubtful Davidson will schedule us. They would go into the game knowing that they would get trounced. Not just because they are small and anemic but also that they are non-athletic scholarship (I seem to recall). They had rather they be a small fish in a small pond than a small fish in an large pond. Just all opinion but still.
I took some of those schools as a joke to dig at UNCC. However an FCS team has to fund 90% of their available scholarships for the game to count as a win for Bowl eligibility. That is a big reason we would not schedule Davidson.

Even in the SoCon days when both schools were in the SoCon we hardly played them, and Davidson hardly played many SoCon schools. Back then the SoCon did not enforce round robin play. At least based on looking over the media guides over the years with our historical records by year.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:07 am

If and when we schedule another FCS, Vermin would be a good choice, we owe em.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:30 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:07 am
I have said since we moved up I would like to schedule Furman for the FCS games. They are about the only team we have played more than 5-6 times that have a series lead on us. That includes going back to the start of football at App.

I'll not live long enough to see us take the lead in the series as we might play them once a decade or less at the rate we are going, but it would be a nice FCS game for that reason. And their budget may be such that they will not be making unrealistic demands that WCU is rumored to make.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:00 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:30 am
WataugaMan wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:07 am
I have said since we moved up I would like to schedule Furman for the FCS games. They are about the only team we have played more than 5-6 times that have a series lead on us. That includes going back to the start of football at App.

I'll not live long enough to see us take the lead in the series as we might play them once a decade or less at the rate we are going, but it would be a nice FCS game for that reason. And their budget may be such that they will not be making unrealistic demands that WCU is rumored to make.
Agreed on this one. I would like to see them scheduled.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:12 am

1) Why wouldn't Citadel play us again?

2) Who cares?

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:35 am

I don't know about you guys but that 3rd quarter yesterday was god awful. It was like having a running clock. We all knew the game was over early but CID made no effort to try to win. A freaking 12 minute clock chewing drive that ended in a PIC. At least we threw the ball a few times the second half.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:10 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:35 am
I don't know about you guys but that 3rd quarter yesterday was god awful. It was like having a running clock. We all knew the game was over early but CID made no effort to try to win. A freaking 12 minute clock chewing drive that ended in a PIC. At least we threw the ball a few times the second half.
I told my wife during that drive that I'm glad I'm not a Citadel fan. What boring football. That is what they do though. They are done when they get behind like Saturday. Peyton Derrick threw one pass for us his freshman year and that may be the best pass he ever threw. He doesn't seem to have gotten better and did not throw it well at all when they did throw. I guess running the Wofford offense didn't allow him to develop his arm.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:14 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:10 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
I told my wife during that drive that I'm glad I'm not a Citadel fan. What boring football. That is what they do though. They are done when they get behind like Saturday. Peyton Derrick threw one pass for us his freshman year and that may be the best pass he ever threw. He doesn't seem to have gotten better and did not throw it well at all when they did throw. I guess running the Wofford offense didn't allow him to develop his arm.
He threw 5 passes for us. All were completions. 3 of them were for TDs.

Peyton is a good QB. He just wasn't better than Zac and was on par with Huesman. In fact, he was ahead of Huesman on the depth chart for majority of his time here.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:18 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:14 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:10 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
He threw 5 passes for us. All were completions. 3 of them were for TDs.

Peyton is a good QB. He just wasn't better than Zac and was on par with Huesman. In fact, he was ahead of Huesman on the depth chart for majority of his time here.
Thanks for the correction. It doesn't change the fact that his arm looked weak yesterday, even when he had protection.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:20 pm

He definitely has an awkward throwing motion. I do agree with that.
tAPPedInSports.net

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:34 pm

Just curious, why? Why wouldn't Citadel schedule us again?

I'm fine with it but just want to know the reason why. I didn't see most of the game yesterday (just the 1st); did something happen?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:36 pm

I think people are saying that because of the way we beat them down. If I were Citadel, I'd rather take the $1+ million from a P5 school than the under $400k we pay to get the same results.
tAPPedInSports.net

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:13 pm

Agree with above. They are better off playing Clemson or SC, stay in the state and get better paydays. If they are going to run the ball 99% of their plays no matter the score what difference does it make who they play?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:21 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:12 am
1) Why wouldn't Citadel play us again?

2) Who cares?
Because they aren't masochists
We need a former So Con patsy.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”