Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

El Cid discussion

AppSt12
School: Appalachian State

Re: El Cid discussion

Unread post by AppSt12 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:59 am

Was not looking forward to this game and still dont support to principal. We have played The Citadel 42 times. Been some good ones over the years...they were a good test to prep for Georgia Southerns option and on occassion were a top 25 fcs team....but with only 4 ooc opportunities per year, i feel like there are much better options and weve gotton all we will ever need with our series with the Citadel.

That being said...my temporary emotion is greatful for this game. I believe this (combined with the last 2 games of last season) is easily the low point in our full FBS existence and we need an easy one. And you should never overlook opponents...but we will crush the citadel...and hopefully rest some players to get healthy.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:58 am

I assume we try to rest those that possibly could play and that may make the game tougher than it would be so I'm not sure what to expect especially in the first half.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:36 am

Whether we get 3 inches of rain or 8 - we should absolutely blow the socks off this team. I don't care what personnel plays, I just want a coaching staff and team that won't let up and will play to win for all 4 quarters. Anything less than a 3 score victory would be a disappointment in my view (I am handicapping the score a bit for the weather). I want us to embarrass them the way JMU did us last week. If we let a team hang around - especially one that can control time of possession and in bad weather, it could be bad.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:09 am

I've reached a point after watching a million college football games that I simply don't get going conservative with a lead- I'm talking about games that are against weaker opponents and are pretty much decided earlier. I don't feel like a team (App) needs to run double reverses or halfback option passes with a huge lead but I also hate seeing guys who need reps simply handoff (QB) or run up the gut (backs). QB's need to throw passes and other guys need legit reps. It's the responsibility of the opponent to stop the other offense on defense and it's their offensive responsibility to attempt to score. We seem to have this passed down unwritten rule to "take it easy" on an opponent. I think the last time we absolutely hammered someone was Wooford on that Halloween night many years back. While a three score halftime lead is great scoring zero or very little in the second half and hanging on or losing is another issue. We might hurt some feelings if we keep the pedal to the medal but the other side will get over it.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:39 am

A thrashing of the Dawgs will tell us little , a struggle ....

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:46 am

Citadel is over a 30 point dawg. Weather could definitely factor in. They don't score much, but their defense looks pretty good for fcs. I imagine that Citadel will try to play against us like we did against A&M. Score when they have the opportunity and keep the ball away from us. If the weather is bad, look for them to load the box and dare us to throw....

I'd like to see us play smart, execute a game plan, play with a sense of urgency, and let everyone participate that can. I agree with the post above, if the backups get to play, let them execute the same game plan.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:35 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:09 am
I've reached a point after watching a million college football games that I simply don't get going conservative with a lead- I'm talking about games that are against weaker opponents and are pretty much decided earlier. I don't feel like a team (App) needs to run double reverses or halfback option passes with a huge lead but I also hate seeing guys who need reps simply handoff (QB) or run up the gut (backs). QB's need to throw passes and other guys need legit reps. It's the responsibility of the opponent to stop the other offense on defense and it's their offensive responsibility to attempt to score. We seem to have this passed down unwritten rule to "take it easy" on an opponent. I think the last time we absolutely hammered someone was Wooford on that Halloween night many years back. While a three score halftime lead is great scoring zero or very little in the second half and hanging on or losing is another issue. We might hurt some feelings if we keep the pedal to the medal but the other side will get over it.
I wholeheartedly agree with the Steve Spurrier approach. Our job is to score. Your job is to stop us. If you can’t, pack a lunch.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:37 pm

I’ll pass along a story from upstate South Carolina high school football from some years back that amused me ……… A once-famous coach walked across the field to shake the hand of the losing head coach as the game ended, a game that was a 45 point victory. The losing coach said, “Look at that scoreboard, Al. Why did you do that to me?” Al said, “That happened because I can only coach one team and I coached mine.”

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:25 pm

If you're gonna overthrow the king, you're gonna have to kill him... If we want to win a game, gotta kill the other team. Obviously not literally but you get the point. If you let the king live he regroups and comes back to regain the throne....

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:29 pm

Did just hear their best WR with 98 yds and 2 TDs on the season is also out for the game. Next guy has 28yds on the season.

Though if we play on time Saturday I doubt there will be much passing from either team.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:02 am

I expect us to beat the Citadel pretty easily. I will have to take another week of ignoring threads if we struggle. I really don't expect that. I will agree that thrashing The Citadel doesn't tell us much but it's a meaningful game for the team. It gives them a chance to heal up (hopefully) and get an emotional reprieve after 4 intense games. It's absolutely true that App has never started a season with 4 opponents like we've had. Say what you want, but Troy is pretty legit and greatly improved over last year. That was a good win regardless of how it happened. How it DID happen was coming off of two incredibly intense and competitive games. JMU finally caught up with us. They were a bit better than expected and App was flat. It happens. People need to get over it. It is ugly and YES, I was cussing a blue streak, but this is part of playing in a good conference....parity. We lost a game we shouldn't have lost....and we wont a game we probably (on paper) shouldn't have won. Time to move on. This is what going 1-0 every week actually means.

Playing a triple option team sucks, but defending the triple option is about assignment football....staying in your lane. That's something we've had some issues with so we will get to practice it this week. I don't think they have the athletes to push us, but it's a good exercise.

Go Apps!

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:47 am

I fully expect App to struggle tomorrow against The Citadel. Triple option teams are a beast for us. In fact, when was the last time we handily beat a triple option team?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:51 am

27-3 against Georgia Southern last year
34-26 against Georgia Southern in 2020 (score closer than it actually was)

Our defense was built specifically to stop the triple option. It's since been modified to stop other kinds of offenses, but as long as we maintain the gaps, they will not run all over us.

Our issues this year have been against the passing game.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:06 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:47 am
I fully expect App to struggle tomorrow against The Citadel. Triple option teams are a beast for us. In fact, when was the last time we handily beat a triple option team?
You don't think that 27-3 last year was "handily beating" GS? I guess the term is vague so you can set the standard wherever you want, but only giving up 3 points would indicate a pretty solid performance against the TO, in my opinion at least. Even a down GS has much better athletes than we will see from the Citadel this year.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:07 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:51 am
27-3 against Georgia Southern last year
34-26 against Georgia Southern in 2020 (score closer than it actually was)

Our defense was built specifically to stop the triple option. It's since been modified to stop other kinds of offenses, but as long as we maintain the gaps, they will not run all over us.

Our issues this year have been against the passing game.
To be even more specific....passing offenses with a dual threat / mobile QB. Peyton is a decent QB but I don't think they have any receivers to catch it.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:17 am

I would tend to think 27-3 against a running (triple option) team is a blowout simply due to TOP that would be fairly close even if the score isn't. A running team is going to eat more clock with their possessions unless they simply go 3 and out a bunch.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:55 am

I didn’t go back through the thread but has anyone mentioned that the Citadel QB Peyton Derrick played for us and threw that big 4th down pass at Penn State? If already mentioned then excuse me. Still pretty interesting.
WE ARE YOSEF!

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:06 am

goapps93 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:55 am
I didn’t go back through the thread but has anyone mentioned that the Citadel QB Peyton Derrick played for us and threw that big 4th down pass at Penn State? If already mentioned then excuse me. Still pretty interesting.
It has been mentioned and briefly discussed.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:10 am

I really want to see what #14 can do. He’s not let us down in almost 20 years

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:17 am

We need a 65-7 type win today. Screw the niceties. We need to embarrass someone and get some mojo back.

I never liked Citadel anyways.
YNWA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”