Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Clark GA Tech

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Clark GA Tech

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:40 pm

Exactly. The only thing harder than breaking into the coaching business is breaking back in after an absence for any reason.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:53 pm

If I'm Helton and I take another job just a few hours down the road after such a short time, I wouldn't expect to receive any Christmas cards from my previous employer.
Last edited by AppDub on Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:27 pm

Would rather Coastal lose their coach to GT tbh

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:36 am

Can’t believe some of you guys are going down the “he loves App and will never leave” path again. Life changing, generational wealth type of money changes things and it should. I love coach Clark and I wish him nothing but success. That said he hasn’t elevated our program, YET. I doubt he’s on the list at any major P5 programs.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:07 am

Hmm. Opinions vary I guess. I’m not sure
what defines elevating the program means to everyone else. I don’t have a problem with Clark in terms of managing the program. He walked in to a situation that required a great deal of learn on the fly and for a first time head coach, he has handled it well.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:34 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:07 am
what defines elevating the program means to everyone else. I don’t have a problem with Clark in terms of managing the program. He walked in to a situation that required a great deal of learn on the fly and for a first time head coach, he has handled it well.
I don’t disagree at all with how Coach Clark has handled himself. If the measure is class we’re doing great. The measure I was speaking of is performance on the field. We’re doing good but not better than Drink or what Satt left. Again, I’m a Coach Clark fan and I believe but right now I’m just being honest. We haven’t gotten better on the field.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:41 am

These coaching hiring decisions are very interesting at times. Did Billy Napier really elevate the La program to some magical level that warranted being hired at Florida? Has Chadwell really elevated Coastal? They got a little lightning in a bottle along with a Covid jacked up year. They played while many schools either cancelled or were limited and someone had to be the darling. The program down there is good but is he some genius coach? We all want to believe that Shawn loves App enough to stay forever and while close to a mil per year ain't chump change it's got to be tough sometimes seeing a peer who is equally successful get paid 4 times (or more) what he's getting.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:47 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:41 am
These coaching hiring decisions are very interesting at times. Did Billy Napier really elevate the La program to some magical level that warranted being hired at Florida? Has Chadwell really elevated Coastal? They got a little lightning in a bottle along with a Covid jacked up year. They played while many schools either cancelled or were limited and someone had to be the darling. The program down there is good but is he some genius coach? We all want to believe that Shawn loves App enough to stay forever and while close to a mil per year ain't chump change it's got to be tough sometimes seeing a peer who is equally successful get paid 4 times (or more) what he's getting.
You underestimate the power of hype.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:48 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:34 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:07 am
I don’t disagree at all with how Coach Clark has handled himself. If the measure is class we’re doing great. The measure I was speaking of is performance on the field. We’re doing good but not better than Drink or what Satt left. Again, I’m a Coach Clark fan and I believe but right now I’m just being honest. We haven’t gotten better on the field.
All fair and not disagreeing. I’m just looking at what he has had to deal with versus the other two. For one the roster management with CoVid extending eligibility is a nuance, the portal and NIL. Everyone has to deal with those but he has done a good job for a first time HC. He has dealt with more coaching turnover than his predecessors. Sure, there has been some breakage in recruiting but I can’t say that it’s more than anyone else has dealt with.

Winning is hard and he wants to win. I can understand if someone were to see the current state of the program as stagnation. It could also be a product of everyone just getting better that has closed the gap.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:08 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Are these actual questions you want answered? Both of those coaches are good, especially Chadwell. Chadwell turned around Charleston southern and Coastal, two struggling programs before his time. And now has shown he can not only beat us but other teams as well. Great coach.
Napier also a great coach, has a great resume at big time programs and has our number as of late, glad he is out of the conference. look at UL now compared to what they've been. He took half the team with him to Florida meaning guys like him.
You go 10-2,11-2 or 13-1 in the sunbelt consistently and beat big teams to get there, you're getting job offers that next year...aka Drink, Chadwell soon, and Napier. Shoot, JMU coach will get looks if he does it too.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:13 am

311neers wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:08 am
Are these actual questions you want answered? Both of those coaches are good, especially Chadwell. Chadwell turned around Charleston southern and Coastal, two struggling programs before his time. And now has shown he can not only beat us but other teams as well. Great coach.
Napier also a great coach and has our number as of late, glad he is out of the conference. look at UL now compared to what they've been. He took half the team with him to Florida meaning guys like him.
You go 12-1 or 13-1 in the sunbelt and beat big teams to get there, you're getting job offers that next year...aka Drink, Chadwell soon, and Napier. Shoot, JMU coach will get looks if he does it too.
While Chadwell did turn Charleston Southern around, he did so while using players not even enrolled in the school. The thing about Chadwell is he's a pioneer with the offense they run. It's a unique variation of the triple option. He's brought two schools to NCAA sanctions and left both times before the investigation finalized.

You don't leave the HC job to become the OC of a conference mate without cause. I'll leave it at that.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:44 am

311neers wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Napier also a great coach, has a great resume at big time programs and has our number as of late, glad he is out of the conference. look at UL now compared to what they've been. He took half the team with him to Florida meaning guys like him.
You go 10-2,11-2 or 13-1 in the sunbelt consistently and beat big teams to get there, you're getting job offers that next year...aka Drink, Chadwell soon, and Napier. Shoot, JMU coach will get looks if he does it too.
Sports Illustrated mentioned the Marshall coach as someone GA Tech should look at too, so you can add him to the list of buzzy Sun Belt coaches.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:20 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:17 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:57 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:39 pm
I'm told Tech is going to hire an AD first and have that person find a coach .Kind of blows holes in the Chadwell interviewing on Thursday report.There may or may not be interest in Shawn or Chickenwell .If DG is interested in Atlanta he would be a strong candidate .
Clay Helton was in town as well meeting with administration. They'll hire the AD first, but are weeding out candidates now. Chadwell and Helton are just two of 5ish names I've heard.

Clark is not one of those names.
Let me get this straight:

Helton has been in Statesboro all of five minutes and now he wants to trade up?

What about those amazing articles being written about all he’s doing to bring the pride back to the Eagles?

Do we have it on good authority that Helton is interested in the GT job?
Would imagine any sane human being would look for the first bus outta Statesboro.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:22 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:44 am
311neers wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sports Illustrated mentioned the Marshall coach as someone GA Tech should look at too, so you can add him to the list of buzzy Sun Belt coaches.
He was also mentioned for the Arizona St job. Anyone with Saban roots is going to get a mention

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:52 pm

LaLa was waaaay down when Nape arrived.He has a system and he makes it work.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:07 pm

Well Napier did have to fill the shoes left by “Smedium” 😂

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”