Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

JMU Game Day Thread

Yosef1986
School: Appalachian State

Re: JMU Game Day Thread

Unread post by Yosef1986 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:26 am

We can slice and dice this game - however, what it comes down too - we got punched in the mouth and did not respond. I am no expert and do not pretend to know how to fix - I just know that life is full of challenges and we need to step up and figure out a fix. Our season is far from over.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:49 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:12 pm
Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:27 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:51 pm
You guys really think we would have had College GameDay if we had lost at A&M? - Hell No - some of you guys have been begging for more national notice for years - We beat a #5 team on the road and get GameDay and win on an unbelievable Hail Mary and we lose today and everything is going to Hell - Unbelievable - If you are not Alabama or Georgia or Ohio State you have little chance of going undefeated - many top teams will have multiple losses
You do realize how hard it is to get that media attention back? We blew it dude.
Exactly. We all know what A&M did for us in terms of getting our brand out there but once you get those eyeballs it does not do much good if you stumble this quick. Now, in terms of what our main goals are which is to win the Sun Belt and win a bowl game, A&M does not even matter. JMU does. We can still win the SBC and a bowl game but I only say that because I think going undefeated in the SBC will be very tough. We still don't have 3-4 ranked teams in our league to where we can make a big statement win. CCU and JMU both could end up ranked but we just lost to one of them. I thought we would lose 1-2 SBC games but I thought it would be to established powers and not to a first-year FBS program.
I think you are giving the "APP Brand" a little too much emphasis and therefore the loss of said too much negativity - Have you looked at ESPN.com this morning? - #6 Oklahoma loses, #10 Arkansas loses, Miami shocked, UF loses to TN for only the 2nd time in 18 years, Boise fires OC, Man, this is week 4 of 12-13 and similar headlines are going to appear every week - You know one which won't appear - APP Loses to Texas A&M - college fans will remember that and the Hail Mary - most won't even be aware of the lose to JMU
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:06 am

app97 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:34 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:20 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:01 pm
6 top 25 teams lost today - 3 more are trailing - if you can't see that there isn't much difference between most of the top 50-60 teams you aren't paying attention --- No, there is no excuse for losing today but I'm sure T A&M said the same thing two weeks ago and everyone else who has lost to someone they think they should have beaten and we are only 4 weeks in --- take a deep breath
There is a lot more parity for sure. This is not the same Sun Belt that it was when we entered though. A first year transition team should not beat a team that is suppose to be the best in the East. This was a staff using the "play not to lose instead of play to win strategy" and we got outcoached badly by JMU. I thought JMU was good but should not have had enough FBS talent to beat us quite yet.

We have some injuries but my question is does losing 3-4 good players take a team who was so good they could beat a top 10 team and drop them down to losing to a team who just transitioned from FCS to FBS? That seems like a huge drop off. The bottom line is we lost to a better team today. Maybe JMU would not beat us if we had a rematch next week but I would say A&M feels the same about us. We lost to them and better regroup. Luckily, we have an easier October. If we are not 6-2 heading to Coastal Carolina then we will be in major trouble. We have a month where we should be able to heal up some guys and make adjustments. As much as we should win the next 4 games our last 4 games could all be a win or a loss. I won't write these guys off yet because we have a lot of time but we do need to make some adjustments.
They have the talent, partly due to their ability to bring in lots of players from major conferences via the transfer portal…something we didn’t have the advantage of during our fcs-fbs transition. They also have a really good coaching staff, including a head coach who worked under saban.
Take another look at their roster when it comes to transfer VS recruited direct to JMU. Their strength is in recruited players with a little help from the portal.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:13 am

We got handled ....but the punt call on Tucker was horrendous and likely a game changer.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:16 am

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:13 am
We got handled ....but the punt call on Tucker was horrendous and likely a game changer.
That interference call completely changed the game. Everyone could see that the JMU player hit his own guy. Idk how the refs couldn’t. That gave them 35 yards or so to score a TD. Leadership should have stood up then and rallied the guys but they didn’t. I think we lack leadership. From coaching down. It has shown.

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:20 am

Yup, from the JMU board.. that should quell the Transfer U talk.

For the record to the App fans visiting here, in our starting 22, we have:

2 fbs transfers: centeio, edwards
4 FCs transfers: Thornton, swann, Greene, saratt
16 jmu recruits: including entire offensive line, 3 of 4 on D line, both linebackers.

We are not a Transfer U. We predominantly build our teams and plug in a few holes, just like everyone. And fyi, app’s qb is an fbs transfer.

Yep That is what is most impressive to me. JMu has gotten off to a red hot start in the FBS transition year and has done it with almost all FCS recruits.

As I thought, app fans are embarrassed to lose that game. They were supposed to be king of the hill and perennial Sun Belt champs, almost unbeatable at home, conquerors of #6 Texas A&M (#1 in NIL buying players ).
And a roster full of FCS recruits came to the Rock and stole their lunch money then knocked their remaining teeth out.

With 2 or 3 more FBS recruiting classes, JMU will have big time advantages in the Sun Belt.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:30 am

RankinApp wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:20 am
Yup, from the JMU board.. that should quell the Transfer U talk.

For the record to the App fans visiting here, in our starting 22, we have:

2 fbs transfers: centeio, edwards
4 FCs transfers: Thornton, swann, Greene, saratt
16 jmu recruits: including entire offensive line, 3 of 4 on D line, both linebackers.

We are not a Transfer U. We predominantly build our teams and plug in a few holes, just like everyone. And fyi, app’s qb is an fbs transfer.

Yep That is what is most impressive to me. JMu has gotten off to a red hot start in the FBS transition year and has done it with almost all FCS recruits.

As I thought, app fans are embarrassed to lose that game. They were supposed to be king of the hill and perennial Sun Belt champs, almost unbeatable at home, conquerors of #6 Texas A&M (#1 in NIL buying players ).
And a roster full of FCS recruits came to the Rock and stole their lunch money then knocked their remaining teeth out.

With 2 or 3 more FBS recruiting classes, JMU will have big time advantages in the Sun Belt.
I think I hate JMU more than GaSo.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:31 am

Currently after just 4 weeks there are only TWO G5 without a loss - JMU who is ineligible and Coastal - I know some of you who are always doom and gloom don't want to hear this - But --- This season and success are a LONG WAY from being over ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:34 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:31 am
Currently after just 4 weeks there are only TWO G5 without a loss - JMU who is ineligible and Coastal - I know some of you who are always doom and gloom don't want to hear this - But --- This season and success are a LONG WAY from being over ---
You're right .. it is a long ways from being over....that's why some of us are so worried....

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:40 am

ASUTodd wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:30 am
I think I hate JMU more than GaSo.
Oh, they've been insufferably arrogant for years (not to say we can't be at times as well) but they're backing up their talk with results.

They have a huge athletic budget.. good Olympic sport programs across the board. I can easily see them being the top department in the East.

Hopefully it'll make everyone else step up.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:54 am

bcoach wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:06 am
app97 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:34 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:20 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:01 pm
6 top 25 teams lost today - 3 more are trailing - if you can't see that there isn't much difference between most of the top 50-60 teams you aren't paying attention --- No, there is no excuse for losing today but I'm sure T A&M said the same thing two weeks ago and everyone else who has lost to someone they think they should have beaten and we are only 4 weeks in --- take a deep breath
There is a lot more parity for sure. This is not the same Sun Belt that it was when we entered though. A first year transition team should not beat a team that is suppose to be the best in the East. This was a staff using the "play not to lose instead of play to win strategy" and we got outcoached badly by JMU. I thought JMU was good but should not have had enough FBS talent to beat us quite yet.

We have some injuries but my question is does losing 3-4 good players take a team who was so good they could beat a top 10 team and drop them down to losing to a team who just transitioned from FCS to FBS? That seems like a huge drop off. The bottom line is we lost to a better team today. Maybe JMU would not beat us if we had a rematch next week but I would say A&M feels the same about us. We lost to them and better regroup. Luckily, we have an easier October. If we are not 6-2 heading to Coastal Carolina then we will be in major trouble. We have a month where we should be able to heal up some guys and make adjustments. As much as we should win the next 4 games our last 4 games could all be a win or a loss. I won't write these guys off yet because we have a lot of time but we do need to make some adjustments.
They have the talent, partly due to their ability to bring in lots of players from major conferences via the transfer portal…something we didn’t have the advantage of during our fcs-fbs transition. They also have a really good coaching staff, including a head coach who worked under saban.
Take another look at their roster when it comes to transfer VS recruited direct to JMU. Their strength is in recruited players with a little help from the portal.
I’ll be honest, I didn’t look at their depth chart, just glanced at the roster and saw guys from Mich State, Minnesota, NC state, Va Tech, UNC, ECU, Marshall, coastal, army, Rutgers etc. even if they don’t start, the 15 or so fbs transfers provide Acc/big 10 practice experience and push the seasoned starters in practice. Regardless of who was on the field, JMU was more physical and had the scheme to win.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:04 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:31 am
The world and App football has not come to an end. However, why do you keep trying to rationalize a terrible loss where we blew a 25 pt lead by telling us how bad everybody else did?

If your kid started the semester with straight A’s for first half and then flunked second half would you accept the explanation that “all the other kids screwed up too” as legit or would you say we got a problem?

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:04 am

app97 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:49 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:34 pm
I didn't hear Clark's post game interview today, anyone else? Comments?
Frustrated, embarrassed…need to do a better job, will regroup tomorrow, etc etc. it’s on YouTube after every game.

First question asked, "What happened to the offense in the 2nd half?", SC response, "I wish I had an answer". Is he implying he has no clue? Just asking.

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:09 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:04 am
app97 wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:
Frustrated, embarrassed…need to do a better job, will regroup tomorrow, etc etc. it’s on YouTube after every game.

First question asked, "What happened to the offense in the 2nd half?", SC response, "I wish I had an answer". Is he implying he has no clue? Just asking.
I was wondering that too because as the HC, he should have had knowledge, especially after we kept stalling out. I get trusting your coordinators, but as the HC you need to step in. Or maybe he just didn’t want to get into something that had been discussed internally already.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:12 am

App_in_Maiden wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:09 am
WataugaMan wrote:
app97 wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:

I was wondering that too because as the HC, he should have had knowledge, especially after we kept stalling out. I get trusting your coordinators, but as the HC you need to step in. Or maybe he just didn’t want to get into something that had been discussed internally already.
What I saw happen was pretty obvious. JMU made adjustments on defense and we didn’t adjust to compensate.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:13 am

YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:23 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:00 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:58 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:54 am
Someone earlier posted that "no one is asking for the coaches to be fired". I respectfully disagree with that comment. There are several on YC that do. "Coach is better as an offensive assistant coach" "That is what you get when you hire a players coach" "Coach is not the right guy for the job""..if not direct statements, of wanting him fired, they are indirect statements of wanting this to happen. I am NOT one of them. Coach Clark was not their pick and it seems that their hope is that he fails. Coach could be successful for 20+ yeats. Win 8 to 13 games a year and they would still be chirping that he was a bad hire. And the chirping around Coach Jones seems to be endless.

I have a different perspective For two years on this forum, it has been said that this would be a transition year given all the talent we would lose. Well, here we are. Give the coaches time to coach.

We control our own destiny to win the East..No conference game is going to be easy. However we got 4 weeks to get better in all 3 phases.
Let's Go App. St!! Let's Go App. St.!!
We all know that we technically do control our own destiny still but I think the concern here is that we have a lot more games that should be just as tough. I did expect to lose 2 league games this year but I didn’t expect one to be JMU.

Troy and JMU have shown how to beat us and there is no doubt there are teams good enough if they use the blueprint. We have to get a lot better if we are going to win the east.
Dude, this is the epitome of your typical negative post everyday on this forum. We do not "technically" control our own destiny.. We DO control our own our own destiny. Not sure what college football team you are a fan of..it doesn't appear to be App. St. given all of your Debbie Downer posts. Sorry to all the Debbies out there. You deserve better association 😂
I’m being a realist. This team has a lot of talent and it is still early so we can right the ship but there has to be cause for concern. We had most on here predicting a 20+ point win and I was iffy so I had the score very close to being right. Does seeing the truth make me a Debbie downer? I have said a lot of positive things on here about our players and given Barbay and Shawn credit when they should get it but seeing both the good and bad doesn’t make me a non fan. It sounds like you are saying if I don’t pick us to win by 20 every week and I don’t ignore the negative things completely that I’m not a fan? I care deeply and have high standards for our program. I flat out said prior to the season I didn’t feel good about this year and thought we would lose 4 games and not win the title. When we beat A&M I thought perhaps I was proven wrong but we have played down to competition again. You can’t tell me there is nothing wrong when we beat a top 10 team and lose to a team who is in transition to FBS from FCS.

Have you noticed that every year our RB room goes from super deep to super thin due to injuries? Some teams have the issue at times but I have never seen a team have this issue every single year. It is okay to bring this stuff up.

We have some on here who won’t sound alarms or get worried at all until the team is 4-8. If we get to 7-5 or 8-4 in regular season that scares me. I’m not saying Shawn will have our program gradually decline but I dang sure don’t want to see that happen.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:26 am

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:16 am
Stonewall wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:13 am
That interference call completely changed the game. Everyone could see that the JMU player hit his own guy. Idk how the refs couldn’t. That gave them 35 yards or so to score a TD. Leadership should have stood up then and rallied the guys but they didn’t. I think we lack leadership. From coaching down. It has shown.
I was with you and then you lost me. What was leadership supposed to do? Fight the refs? Refuse to play the rest of the game?

Sometimes the other team just wants it more. Sometimes the other team is just straight up better. And sometimes sh*t just happens.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:28 am

WataugaMan wrote:
app97 wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:

Clark has no clue as to what going on. Personally I think he should fire Barbay today. And if he’s not prepared to do that he should resign in disgrace as he clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing. And he’s absolutely not head coach material I tell you that right now. But he shouldn’t do anything before running Dale Jones out of town. This is the only logical solution as I see it. It’s September, the season is obviously over. We are staring 2-10 in the face. 3-9 if we are lucky to get by the Citadel which I’m not sure we are.

This season has been an absolute embarrassment for me as a guy who sits in the stands and watches. Yes I cheered when we beat Texas A&M even though in my mind I knew they were overrated. And yeah gameday was in Boone but I hate Kirk herbstreit because he called us cupcakes 15 years ago and you don’t let something like that go…ever. I showed up to watch gameday and saw all the support for App State from ESPN and others, not to mention the remarkable turnout by our fans but I secretly wished gameday had never shown up. And sure Troy had very good O and D lines and we are dealing with young men who had just played two incredible taxing games at home and on the road and sure they fought to the last play and won, and yea I cheered like crazy but I quickly composed myself and became upset because they didn’t beat Troy the way I would have wanted them to. I didn’t appreciate them stressing me out. And now JMU comes to town with basically a month to focus solely on us. And they won. App didn’t close the show. And by God that ruined my Saturday. So damnit there better be some heads rolling today.

But if I think about it I’ve always sorta known App would lose. Ya see if you go into a game expecting them to lose you aren’t as hurt when they do. We like to call that hedging our bets emotionally. But don’t those kids know they play for my enjoyment? Don’t they understand it’s so I can be happy in my house as a grown man with a family and a career? Did they not get the memo?

This is the only logical next step

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:44 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:28 am
WataugaMan wrote:
app97 wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:

Clark has no clue as to what going on. Personally I think he should fire Barbay today. And if he’s not prepared to do that he should resign in disgrace as he clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing. And he’s absolutely not head coach material I tell you that right now. But he shouldn’t do anything before running Dale Jones out of town. This is the only logical solution as I see it. It’s September, the season is obviously over. We are staring 2-10 in the face. 3-9 if we are lucky to get by the Citadel which I’m not sure we are.

This season has been an absolute embarrassment for me as a guy who sits in the stands and watches. Yes I cheered when we beat Texas A&M even though in my mind I knew they were overrated. And yeah gameday was in Boone but I hate Kirk herbstreit because he called us cupcakes 15 years ago and you don’t let something like that go…ever. I showed up to watch gameday and saw all the support for App State from ESPN and others, not to mention the remarkable turnout by our fans but I secretly wished gameday had never shown up. And sure Troy had very good O and D lines and we are dealing with young men who had just played two incredible taxing games at home and on the road and sure they fought to the last play and won, and yea I cheered like crazy but I quickly composed myself and became upset because they didn’t beat Troy the way I would have wanted them to. I didn’t appreciate them stressing me out. And now JMU comes to town with basically a month to focus solely on us. And they won. App didn’t close the show. And by God that ruined my Saturday. So damnit there better be some heads rolling today.

But if I think about it I’ve always sorta known App would lose. Ya see if you go into a game expecting them to lose you aren’t as hurt when they do. We like to call that hedging our bets emotionally. But don’t those kids know they play for my enjoyment? Don’t they understand it’s so I can be happy in my house as a grown man with a family and a career? Did they not get the memo?

This is the only logical next step
You want the best for app and call yourself a fan but you go and type “I secretly wished gameday had never shown up.” What an absolute dumb thing to type out/say. Maybe the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen on here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”