Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

JMU Game Day Thread

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: JMU Game Day Thread

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:54 am

RankinApp wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:57 am
NewApp wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:47 am
Many on this board wanted them to move up to FBS and join the Belt.
I'm one of those. JMU is a really good program across the board. I'm glad they're in the SB.

It should be a wakeup call to everyone else in the conference. They weren't exaggerating when they said they were coming to own the Belt. They have the resources and attitude to do so.

As good as we've been in football I'm hoping this lights a fire under the athletic department as a whole.
I believe there was/is a sense of arrogance around our program. That includes all aspects from coaches down to the fans. I think this year we have tried to mask some of our deficiencies with some rationalizations that to this point have not been borne out. I don't mean that as a criticism because winning can give you that outlook. We entered yesterday's game, certainly as fans, I can't speak to the coaches and players, thinking that Madison would learn a lesson. We would appear to be the one's who learned a lesson yesterday. I hope it is one we can grow from. I have no idea what our fortunes are going forward, while this is no time to jump overboard, pretending all will be well doesn't really sooth my concerns. There is a lot right with this year's team but there are also trends that are troubling that if they continue will put us in a place we haven't been for a while. Sometimes you have to step back from being a fan, and try and take an objective view. We aren't in all or nothing situation. You can be concerned and/or critical without being disloyal to the team.

As someone said we have a stretch of games ahead that could/should allow us to work things out. Let's hope that we can gain some momentum in the coming weeks and put us in a place to contend for a divisional crown. But, let's be honest with trips to Coastal, GS, and Marshall there is likely no margin for error.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:55 am

App State and Gillin pretty much hand picked the SBC east teams.

We now have potential regional rivals with fanbases that care about football (sans GA St) and should make for some epic games.

That said no team should blow a 25 point lead against a conference foe and that is the reason for the blow back today. Get right the next four weeks and let’s make a run at the SBC title.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:02 pm

Just from the memes that are showing up on Twitter and elsewhere, its evident that plenty of folks are glad to see us take the fall. They are especially relishing in how we fell. It certainly won't undo all the great publicity from the last three weeks, but to many we were put in our place. Let's hope we can respond in a way that proves we won't be down for long. It will be of great interest how we respond to the Citadel. It might tell us a lot how our guys respond to yesterday.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:08 pm

Unfortunately Citadel isn’t likely to tell us much other than we have superior athletes.

The bulldogs have lost to Cambell and Mercer this year, shutout 17-0 last week.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:13 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:08 pm
Unfortunately Citadel isn’t likely to tell us much other than we have superior athletes.

Right now..... I'm not so sure the Citadel game will be a walk in the park.

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:13 pm

I will not call for heads to roll after 4 games. I hear a lot of going 1-0. Out of several categories that I can think of vs. JMU here is my assessment and breaking the game into halves gives us our only 1-0.

1-0 1st half
0-1 2nd half
0-1 Final
0-1 Coaching
0-1 Heart
0-1 Portal
0-1 Officiating crew

Officiating has been awful before and will be again and I will not blame losing on that even though it had an effect. The muffed punt debacle. What about the last offensive play where Davis was obliterated? Is that not a defenseless player call? Not to mention all the holding calls I saw not called. Last of all, I will be there next Saturday till the end of the game.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:31 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:13 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

Citadel is averaging just over 200 yards of offense vs Cambell, ETSU, and Mercer.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:40 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:31 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Citadel is averaging just over 200 yards of offense vs Cambell, ETSU, and Mercer.
That’s that hyperbole that’s seamlessly weaving it’s way throughout the message board

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:50 pm

Dale Jones is the only one that I can see with a blazing hot seat. The chair should definitely be warm for Clark, the last few games going back to last season aren't looking great. It's OK to hold coaches accountable. Its also ok to admit College Football is for entertainment. These kids are getting paid now, there is no more "amateur sports" excuse. In the end, I have many more important things in my life than sports, but I love my App State Mountaineers and the drama/elation/entertainment is a fun compliment to life. We all need to RELAX.
The Appalachian State

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:55 pm

Just watched the beginning of first quarter that I missed yesterday. The thing that bothers me the most, although we had the momentum in the game after the opening drive, is how our players jaw and even celebrate making a tackle although JMU picks up 9 yards or even a first down. JMU players make a play and just keep playing without running their mouths. That’s a reflection of their head coach IMO. Our DB #5 needs to shut the f up. I’ve noticed him jawing and celebrating tiny plays all season. I am not a fan of that aspect of our culture currently. It seems like we were the team who played with a disciplined demeanor some years ago. I don’t know how many times in recent years I’ve said “just keep playing” after one of our players runs his mouth after making a play. It seems that it’s happening often at positions where we have deficiencies as well. That’s my old man rant for the day.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:23 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:51 am
Like I said, I was just asking. I've had many jobs in my lifetime and at times things didn't go correctly. And, when asked by upper management or whoever "what went wrong", stating that I had no answer was something I never responded with, don't think it would have gone over to well. :)
Come on Watauga - that's the culture of football coaching - gotta look at the film --- You think Coach Clark doesn't have a pretty good idea of what went wrong? - You want him to stand up in front of the press and give these detailed answers - Come On - He doesn't answer to the Press - If the AD asked him the question I am sure he would have an answer just like you said you would for your upper management -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:30 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:23 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Like I said, I was just asking. I've had many jobs in my lifetime and at times things didn't go correctly. And, when asked by upper management or whoever "what went wrong", stating that I had no answer was something I never responded with, don't think it would have gone over to well. :)
Come on Watauga - that's the culture of football coaching - gotta look at the film --- You think Coach Clark doesn't have a pretty good idea of what went wrong? - You want him to stand up in front of the press and give these detailed answers - Come On - He doesn't answer to the Press - If the AD asked him the question I am sure he would have an answer just like you said you would for your upper management -
"You think Coach Clark doesn't have a pretty good idea of what went wrong?"

I don't recall saying that at all. However, since you think he was aware, why didn't he make any adjustments? You mean he didn't realize what was wrong until after the game (gotta look at firm first)? That is, as the ship sank he had no answers? That's the culture of coaching football, let the ship sink and figure out what went wrong later?
Last edited by WataugaMan on Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:33 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:23 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
I definitely don't expect him to give the hard truth here because it could be an issue where he would throw someone under the bus and Shawn won't do that. Either he knew and failed to adjust, does not know, or perhaps there was disagreement on clock management and approach to drain the clock so he does not want to throw Barbay under the bus? Who knows.

I do wonder if Gillin has asked him or is going to let him have complete control and let him drive us where he wants to go without answering to him? I will be interested to see if we get in the same situation again what we would do.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:39 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:02 pm
Just from the memes that are showing up on Twitter and elsewhere, its evident that plenty of folks are glad to see us take the fall. They are especially relishing in how we fell. It certainly won't undo all the great publicity from the last three weeks, but to many we were put in our place. Let's hope we can respond in a way that proves we won't be down for long. It will be of great interest how we respond to the Citadel. It might tell us a lot how our guys respond to yesterday.
I believe it was Andy Warhol who said something like, “don’t read what they write about you, measure it with a ruler.”
More simply- they hate us cuz they ain’t us.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:53 pm

Brice was sacked four times the first three games. He was sacked four times in the second half yesterday.

That may be the most troubling stat from the game. We had no answer for their scheme in the second half.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:56 pm

I’m a related note, I will be surprised if Cignetti is there next year. The problems we used to have

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:10 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:56 pm
I’m a related note, I will be surprised if Cignetti is there next year. The problems we used to have
Your therapist is gonna earn their money next week. 😂

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:20 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:39 pm
hapapp wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:02 pm
I believe it was Andy Warhol who said something like, “don’t read what they write about you, measure it with a ruler.”
More simply- they hate us cuz they ain’t us.
I'm pretty sure they were reading all the positive press of the last three weeks. Take the good with the bad.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:27 pm

ASU84 wrote:
I will not call for heads to roll after 4 games. I hear a lot of going 1-0. Out of several categories that I can think of vs. JMU here is my assessment and breaking the game into halves gives us our only 1-0.

1-0 1st half
0-1 2nd half
0-1 Final
0-1 Coaching
0-1 Heart
0-1 Portal
0-1 Officiating crew

Officiating has been awful before and will be again and I will not blame losing on that even though it had an effect. The muffed punt debacle. What about the last offensive play where Davis was obliterated? Is that not a defenseless player call? Not to mention all the holding calls I saw not called. Last of all, I will be there next Saturday till the end of the game.
Those two plays were stuck in my head driving home after the game.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:32 pm

I have not said anything supporting the coaches for lack of adjustments - I commented on your post about saying "he didn't know" to the Press - He doesn't answer to the Press like you answer to your upper management ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”