Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Stadium Expansion

HighlandsApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Stadium Expansion

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:44 am

moonshine wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:26 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:07 pm
What about making the top level of select parking decks green space? Grass, shrubs, maybe a few small trees on the deck and a few tall trees on the ground level nearby to create a nice tailgate-able space.

Here's an example. Obviously a wild urban environment different from ours, but the concept is still visible:

And here's a concept image that looks more similar to what I'd hope they would do.

I was going to suggest fencing in the top of the decks and naturalizing them. Gives fans the option for open air option tailgating on nice days or under cover in inclement conditions. Keeps the tree hugging hippy vibe and would look good in Renfro’s aerial shots.
Before the new dorms were built, I always thought that building a two or three level deck on old ugly stadium lot with field turf on top level for recreational fields and perhaps practice facility field would have been nice but in that EACH NEW parking space in the new Holmes parking deck is going to cost $36,000 it would have been a very very expensive amenity.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:27 am

ASUTodd wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:13 am
goapps93 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:10 am
ASUTodd wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:57 am
Do we need any of this? No..... What we need is men's soccer.
I agree about soccer but if there is a definite need in the stadium it’s replacing both lower levels. They’re crumbling away.
If the renovation is for a safety reason then we need to do it. All this extra connections and such is just frivolous spending.
It’s not really frivolous.. our stadium, hate to say it, isn’t great. It’s absolutely necessary

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:18 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:39 am
I've read a few suggestions (wishes) that part of any renovation would be to bring the stands closer to the field. How exactly would that happen short of costing a fortune? It would be interesting to see a realistic listing of possible additions/renovations in terms of least to most expensive. I would think that adding and leaving the temp bleachers is easily the cheapest option and generates quick and easy ticket revenue. It is beginning to look like for most games we will bust that 30k+ attendance mark regularly and cramming people onto the hill doesn't seem sustainable. Leaving valuable seating area open under the North endzone just seems odd but like most people on this board I know nothing.
There are several things in play here-1. The existing lower decks are in dire need of repair. It’s pretty hard to make long-term repairs on concrete, so that will likely necessitate full on renovation. If that happens, you might as well move them to where you want them. 2. Field turf has a limited life span. Why not time the replacement of both to occur at the same time?
Give 'em hell!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:34 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:18 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:39 am
I've read a few suggestions (wishes) that part of any renovation would be to bring the stands closer to the field. How exactly would that happen short of costing a fortune? It would be interesting to see a realistic listing of possible additions/renovations in terms of least to most expensive. I would think that adding and leaving the temp bleachers is easily the cheapest option and generates quick and easy ticket revenue. It is beginning to look like for most games we will bust that 30k+ attendance mark regularly and cramming people onto the hill doesn't seem sustainable. Leaving valuable seating area open under the North endzone just seems odd but like most people on this board I know nothing.
There are several things in play here-1. The existing lower decks are in dire need of repair. It’s pretty hard to make long-term repairs on concrete, so that will likely necessitate full on renovation. If that happens, you might as well move them to where you want them. 2. Field turf has a limited life span. Why not time the replacement of both to occur at the same time?
The way the new field and drainage was built with those 10 ft asphalt strips between the field and field turf drainage system would make for pushing the lower stands towards the field for an improved and possibly expanded lower stands an easy project at any time.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:09 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:56 pm
I don't get everyone's desire to have it connected....

And premium seating is premium for a reason. It's exclusive. They don't want people running up there and sitting in those seats who aren't supposed to be there. Access is limited for a reason.
I get your point, but it should be the way UNC and plenty of others have it where it looks like it connects but it’s actually still separate. You can’t just get your way into the premium seating.
Attachments
620F21D5-7707-4A4E-B0BA-BD31BC6FC388.jpeg

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:48 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:07 pm
What about making the top level of select parking decks green space? Grass, shrubs, maybe a few small trees on the deck and a few tall trees on the ground level nearby to create a nice tailgate-able space.

Here's an example. Obviously a wild urban environment different from ours, but the concept is still visible:

And here's a concept image that looks more similar to what I'd hope they would do.

In another life, I worked as a landscaper who helped build some rooftop gardens, including one at grace hospital, so that the cancer patients could look out at the. Rooftop gardens are incredibly high maintenance. I highly doubt the school would want to budget out the money every year to take care of one properly. The first concept you show in that pic is not a rooftop garden but what looks like an intertwined greenspace/park system in a city/road/walking area that has been set up for water capturing as well as higher walls to keep the plans from being as exposed to the elements. Not only that, but it is in Osaka, Japan, where they have a different type of climate than the east coast USA. That is Namba Parks.
The second image you have is more typical of attempted rooftop gardens where plants are fully exposed to the elements and are more often murdered by the heat created by the buildings and the sun. They take a ton more water to keep alive as well as fertilize. It looks great on paper. It doesn't look great on budgets. That pic is from ideas about creating greener parking decks in Fargo, North Dakota. They also have ideas about putting a soccer field on top of a parking deck.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:31 pm

Look at the hill. Shoulder to shoulder top to bottom.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:57 pm

Ok put a hold on expansion. ;-)

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:53 am

Not funny.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:58 am

But true

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:05 am

bcoach wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:58 am
But true
This is really the type of loss that can disengage even the most loyal fans. True

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:11 am

yosef69 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:05 am
bcoach wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:58 am
But true
This is really the type of loss that can disengage even the most loyal fans. True
Not in my opinion but I do think it is time to slow down on expansion till we 1. Pay off current debt 2. Have more than 1 season with sell outs

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:00 am

and have a track for the track team and a soccer field in case we ever have men's soccer again.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:13 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:53 am
Not funny.
Which is precisely why it is, if you're not a Stone wall. I kid I kid. Sorry It's the Hawkeye Pierce in me :D .

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:58 pm

Yes.Ok , it was on the humor scale...not high , but on the scale.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”