Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

On To The Next One - JMU Discussion

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: On To The Next One

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:46 am

APP93 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:59 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:02 pm
ASU-FTW wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:33 pm
JMU is not coming into our house in their transition year and beating us.
We hope not. They are not a typical transition team. Remember that the league and NCAA granted them an exception to be classified in year 2 of transition because they already had close to 85 scholarship players due to COVID. They have a good QB and are a FBS caliber roster for most part. They went 12-2 last year losing to NDSU in the semi-finals. They are probably the most talented team in FBS transition in a long time. Their roster is better than ours was when we were in our first year up.
Are they eligible for a bowl game this year or is it next year?

The hype over this game is exactly why everyone was excited about adding JMU, Marshall and ODU.

A colleague from work, who is a Charlotte alum, was telling me how he thought JMU was an up and coming program and would be a good test for App. Wow, do those folks not have a clue. I tried explaining to him that JMU has a rich history as a FCS program silimiar to App and Ga Southern and that if they would have hung out longer in FCS then they would have learned that fact....and may have more than one season above .500.
I believe they are since they are classified in second year of transition.

They would have indeed. Charlotte should have stayed FCS and built up their program. They weren’t ready like JMU is now.

Rekdiver

Re: On To The Next One - JMU Discussion

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:09 am

I still don’t know what kind of team we have….

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:14 am

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:42 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:09 am
I think that is fair. I think that we are whatever we need to be on any given week.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:14 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:09 am
I kind of agree.

Offense needs to score like we aren't going to get the ball back every time we have a possession.

Defense has a lot of room to improve with the passing game and giving up an occasional big play.

It's going to be interesting to see how JMU is on the line of scrimmage. If they can do a decent job there, it's going to be interesting.

I think JMU is a good team and will take our A game. Hopefully the hangover is gone and we come out fired up and ready.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

JmuDukes4Life
School: James Madison

Unread post by JmuDukes4Life » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:33 am

Hello Everyone!
I come in peace and with respect. 😂

1. In response to and earlier question, yes we did play NDSU in the Fargo Dome our last game in FCS. You don’t get much louder than that

2. No we are not conference title eligible nor Bowl eligible this year. From what I hear, if we qualify and there aren’t enough schools to fill all bowl spots, we could ask for a wavier

3. We have no idea what we have as a team either. This weekend should answer a lot of questions though.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:40 am

JmuDukes4Life wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:33 am
Hello Everyone!

1. In response to and earlier question, yes we did play NDSU in the Fargo Dome our last game in FCS. You don’t get much louder than that

2. No we are not conference title eligible nor Bowl eligible this year. From what I hear, if we qualify and there aren’t enough schools to fill all bowl spots, we could ask for a wavier

3. We have no idea what we have as a team either. This weekend should answer a lot of questions though.
Live long.But don't prosper.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:05 am

JmuDukes4Life wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Welcome to the Sun Belt...looking forward to the drive up to your place next year. We're all pretty stoked about you guys coming on board. Have no idea how this game is going to go Saturday...

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:16 am

I am hoping our defense can put a full game together. They have played pretty good for 7 quarters this year, we just need consistency. Our special teams put them behind the eight ball many times against Troy. Hopefully a more normal week and healthy players will give us a spark to convincingly beat a really good team this weekend. I am starting to miss those 31 - 7 "boring" games.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:17 am

JmuDukes4Life wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Just leave the furple streamers at home please..........

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:20 am

Doing a little research. We are definitely the more tested team playing two P-5's and a conference rival. However, the different rating systems have us barely as a favorite at home (espn App -8), (Sagarin App -3.5) and (Massey App -4.5).

After playing Norfolk State and Middle Tennessee State they are only allowing like 10 yards rushing per game and just over 100 yards passing per game. Their QB looks to be pretty dynamic and can run and throw. They appear to be pretty balanced passing/rushing. If they are legit, this game could get hairy. Hope we are ready....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

JmuDukes4Life
School: James Madison

Unread post by JmuDukes4Life » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:23 am

Our fans are crazy happy to be in the Belt with you guys. I wish I was able to come down this weekend, but life can get in the way. So far we’ve looked pretty good. I was completely surprised how easily we handled MTSU. I felt sure we would win, but never expected to shut them down. I think our O line and D line should be ok. I’m still worried about the secondary. Both our games we had a few blown coverages that will kill us against you guys. Hopefully we will surprise a few of you with how “FBS” we already are.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:30 am

Longrifle28 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:20 am
Doing a little research. We are definitely the more tested team playing two P-5's and a conference rival. However, the different rating systems have us barely as a favorite at home (espn App -8), (Sagarin App -3.5) and (Massey App -4.5).

After playing Norfolk State and Middle Tennessee State they are only allowing like 10 yards rushing per game and just over 100 yards passing per game. Their QB looks to be pretty dynamic and can run and throw. They appear to be pretty balanced passing/rushing. If they are legit, this game could get hairy. Hope we are ready....
We have definitely been more tested but I think many expected their game with MTSU to be close since there were unknowns. Their QB has been fantastic and after seeing him I can see why they throttled MTSU. JMU is very hungry for this win so I hope Shawn has been able to focus on this opponent without many distractions. The fact he did not see film on Troy until Wednesday is just not going to do it as the season goes on. I hope he is turning down all media this week because these requests will dry up anyway if we lose. All that matters is we get healthy and just win because JMU will be ready and everyone after them is going to give us their best shot.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:31 am

JmuDukes4Life wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Welcome to the Sun Belt. Please leave your streamers at home. 😂

AppStFan1

Re: On To The Next One

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:34 am

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:18 pm
The bullseye is clearly on our back. I wouldn't want it any other way.
Indeed. Because of that though our team has to ignore the outside the best they can and we can't have coaches going until Wednesday before actually seeing film. I do feel good about our chances if we can find a way to win this week. Schedule gets easier and we get a bye week before the CCU game. I'm glad we have the bullseye and if we win it will just continue to get bigger.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:15 am

People often want to compare our transition to FBS with JMU's. We were entering FBS play after some down years, while the Dukes are entering with a string of highly successful seasons behind them. Moreover, with the portal it is much easier to roster build with FBS readIy players. We were still playing with FCS recruited players. I'll never forget our first FBS game v. So Alabama. I was blown away, as was our team that day, by the difference in size. We adapted pretty quickly and finished that first year strong. I don't believe we are playing a team like USA faced that day in Boone.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:33 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:30 am
Longrifle28 wrote:

We have definitely been more tested but I think many expected their game with MTSU to be close since there were unknowns. Their QB has been fantastic and after seeing him I can see why they throttled MTSU. JMU is very hungry for this win so I hope Shawn has been able to focus on this opponent without many distractions. The fact he did not see film on Troy until Wednesday is just not going to do it as the season goes on. I hope he is turning down all media this week because these requests will dry up anyway if we lose. All that matters is we get healthy and just win because JMU will be ready and everyone after them is going to give us their best shot.
Wait what?

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:41 pm

I don’t know why, but I feel better about this game than I did about Troy. There was way too much noise last week, I was so happy to escape with a W. Especially against what was perceived as a “weaker” opponent.

JMU is the real deal and if they beat us they deserve the accolade. And I think we will prep for them in that manner. But I have a weird feeling we are gonna beat the brakes off of them. Which is not something I feel too often.
YNWA

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:42 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:33 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:30 am
Longrifle28 wrote:

Wait what?
If this is true it’s completely unacceptable. Get off the phones and camera and do your job. I know the coordinators were looking… but still.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:48 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:41 pm
I don’t know why, but I feel better about this game than I did about Troy. There was way too much noise last week, I was so happy to escape with a W. Especially against what was perceived as a “weaker” opponent.

JMU is the real deal and if they beat us they deserve the accolade. And I think we will prep for them in that manner. But I have a weird feeling we are gonna beat the brakes off of them. Which is not something I feel too often.
I feel that the coaches and team will be better prepared and rested as well. My concern is I think we may be facing the best team we have faced so far. JmU will be prepared for sure. Hope we can manhandle them

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”