Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

I want to know

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: I want to know

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:07 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:30 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:06 pm
I don't think Coach Clark "sucks"....as some have said (now Jones I might lean toward saying that). I don't like where he has this team at the moment. I remember when Coach Moore took his trip up to WV to learn from Rodriguez and transition to the spread offense. The team missed the playoffs and went 7-4. The rest...is history. I'm not saying Clark needs to up and change our entire team dynamics.... but there has to be something that is keeping this team from coming together and being all it can be. I'm hoping that the seat is getting warm for him and that he's realizing he has to do something. I want him to succeed. I don't want another head coaching change. Something has to give as we can't be complacent with this trajectory.
An offensive evolution is exactly what we need. Unfortunately...or fortunately depending on how you look at it...we won't see an offensive evolution until Chase Brice graduates. Chase is a great guy and a great QB. We are lucky ot have him and I'm sure his maturity and experience are holding things together. Someone who says otherwise about CB does not see the whole picture that includes all the way back to the Drinkwitz year. Now, Brice is not the athlete that ZT was. Taylor Lamb was a better runner than Chase. This lack of athleticism is holding back our offense from running a RPO/Pistol/Run & Gun offense. Honestly Chase Brice is holding together an offense that is too young/inexperience/immature to compete this year.

Hopefully next year all pieces save for QB are a year bigger, stronger, faster & mature and the offense transforms into something we all want it to be. If 21 of the 22 guys are good the last peice can come along nicely.

I've seen Clark grow as a coach in many ways and I do not subscribe to the idea he is incompetent. I think injuries, inexperience, poor scheduling and immaturity have lead the team to its current postion.
Did we really need Chase to be a faster runner? Is that what we are missing? We came into the season with arguably the best stable of backs we have ever had- when you consider them as a group. Even though we lost a bunch of receptions the receiver and tight end groups looked phenomenal as well. Chase probably has the best arm of any QB we have ever had. All we heard about was how bad ass our line is and how they are one of the top in the country. With all of that our offense looked like it might be unstoppable and after the UNC game it really appeared that way. After the A&M game it was a consensus opinion that our offense would tear teams up. Very quickly the running back room shrunk, the line hasn't done crap and our cool play calling went away. Now it's a big deal that Chase is slow? No way we should need him to run RPO's. Literally half way through the season and most of the dynamic offense has fizzled.

We were outsized on the defensive line from day 1 and that was going to be a tough proposition every game. No way any 3 guys are gonna get consistent push against good competition. If we don't gamble with blitzes we get eaten up. I hate to say it but the sure fire NFL linebacker isn't throwing up huge numbers either. I'm by no means criticizing him but we have stretches in games when I wonder if he's out there.

I'll never forget that first big year after the move up when Satt made the decision to play some guys he had wanted to save redshirt wise. The switch got flipped and we ran off what, 7 straight? I just wonder if coach is just hesitant about making tough roster decisions. We have a stud running back who is being saved for who knows what.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:22 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:30 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:23 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:04 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:27 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:00 pm

I've heard of Urban Meyer too. He was available. But I'm not suggesting nonsense. There was a proven coach out there who should have been considered. Like that's not complicated or controversial. Hell yes he jumped for Michigan. But he was good at a place not unlike App.
I like how you sidestepped everything I wrote.
You already know. Clark wasn't ready for this job after or 2019 success. I wish him well. I want a turn around. But I don't see it. Not now, not in December of '19. I wish we'd tried something else. You've asked for names. I gave you mine. I would have talked to Elliott (then too) but this is what we have.
And we want Coach Clark to be successful right?
I do. It may take time. To me it looks like it might. I think we look several years away from competing for a conference title. I have never called for a firing.
I don’t think we are several years away. A couple maybe. There may be a more consistent ebb and flow to conference top dogs.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:36 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:07 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
ASUTodd wrote:
I don't think Coach Clark "sucks"....as some have said (now Jones I might lean toward saying that). I don't like where he has this team at the moment. I remember when Coach Moore took his trip up to WV to learn from Rodriguez and transition to the spread offense. The team missed the playoffs and went 7-4. The rest...is history. I'm not saying Clark needs to up and change our entire team dynamics.... but there has to be something that is keeping this team from coming together and being all it can be. I'm hoping that the seat is getting warm for him and that he's realizing he has to do something. I want him to succeed. I don't want another head coaching change. Something has to give as we can't be complacent with this trajectory.
An offensive evolution is exactly what we need. Unfortunately...or fortunately depending on how you look at it...we won't see an offensive evolution until Chase Brice graduates. Chase is a great guy and a great QB. We are lucky ot have him and I'm sure his maturity and experience are holding things together. Someone who says otherwise about CB does not see the whole picture that includes all the way back to the Drinkwitz year. Now, Brice is not the athlete that ZT was. Taylor Lamb was a better runner than Chase. This lack of athleticism is holding back our offense from running a RPO/Pistol/Run & Gun offense. Honestly Chase Brice is holding together an offense that is too young/inexperience/immature to compete this year.

Hopefully next year all pieces save for QB are a year bigger, stronger, faster & mature and the offense transforms into something we all want it to be. If 21 of the 22 guys are good the last peice can come along nicely.

I've seen Clark grow as a coach in many ways and I do not subscribe to the idea he is incompetent. I think injuries, inexperience, poor scheduling and immaturity have lead the team to its current postion.
Did we really need Chase to be a faster runner? Is that what we are missing? We came into the season with arguably the best stable of backs we have ever had- when you consider them as a group. Even though we lost a bunch of receptions the receiver and tight end groups looked phenomenal as well. Chase probably has the best arm of any QB we have ever had. All we heard about was how bad ass our line is and how they are one of the top in the country. With all of that our offense looked like it might be unstoppable and after the UNC game it really appeared that way. After the A&M game it was a consensus opinion that our offense would tear teams up. Very quickly the running back room shrunk, the line hasn't done crap and our cool play calling went away. Now it's a big deal that Chase is slow? No way we should need him to run RPO's. Literally half way through the season and most of the dynamic offense has fizzled.

We were outsized on the defensive line from day 1 and that was going to be a tough proposition every game. No way any 3 guys are gonna get consistent push against good competition. If we don't gamble with blitzes we get eaten up. I hate to say it but the sure fire NFL linebacker isn't throwing up huge numbers either. I'm by no means criticizing him but we have stretches in games when I wonder if he's out there.

I'll never forget that first big year after the move up when Satt made the decision to play some guys he had wanted to save redshirt wise. The switch got flipped and we ran off what, 7 straight? I just wonder if coach is just hesitant about making tough roster decisions. We have a stud running back who is being saved for who knows what.
I think the argument some put forward is that because he's not a threat to run, it allows the D to not have worry about covering a running QB. Without that option, it makes it easier to load the box to stop the run without fear the QB will take off. I see some merit to that thesis. Whether it makes a difference, I'm certainly not proficient to make that call. I don't see anyone calling for him to be benched or suggesting that he's not a top flight QB but he does lack that particular intangible. And, I'm glad he's our QB.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:36 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
ASUTodd wrote:

That's because he's being schemed in to coverage or being double teamed. And he still is among the top in the country in sack numbers, hurries, and QB hits....
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AEB4AE

Unread post by AEB4AE » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:05 pm

We have played great and beat/ competed with good teams with same players. The only logical reason for recent performances is that we have been well scouted, and we may be predictable. Need to self-scout to remove tendencies. Other teams lately seem to know what is coming in given situations. Running QB are running free between DE and OLB.Need to do something different.

BOONE BOUND

Unread post by BOONE BOUND » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:07 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
ASUTodd wrote:

Wow we better be careful what we are wishing for. Offensive evolution when Chase is gone? Whew....he is top 15 in passing yards right now in the nation. If we are not going be able to run the rock with consistency, then just think where we could have been without a talented arm to get us back in striking distance in multiple games. Athleticism? You mean can run fast, right? You are falling into the sports announcer's term when someone isn't a 4.5 40 guy. But as far as being an athlete, he is definitely that. He was a guy that could have played baseball or football out of high school at the highest of levels I'm told. We have issues we need to fix but not sure Brice is in the top 30 on that list. Beat GA STATE!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:25 pm

I swear some people must be absolutely blind, delusional or simply don't get it. Chase is one of the best QB's we have ever had. Right now nationally he's 15th in yards, 5th in TD passes and I believe 18th in passer rating with 3 PIC's.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:32 pm

Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:08 pm
AppOrange wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:27 pm
I have not made a peep since the first half of the game Saturday. But its a rant type topic so here goes:

I have listened to podcasts and read a ton of comments, and to be frank, some of it is apologetic, excuse laden, non sense. For starters, I am no Drink fan or hater, dude came in did his job and left, meh. But to blame this year's "play to your opponent" type of mentality and the other on field issues is on this year's staff and players. The tackling has been poor, coming out "flat" as described by the players, and my goodness the dumb/undisciplined penalties. OUR team looked so good against P5 competition this year and so poor against everyone else not named Citadel. Is that Drink? Guys that tackled really well in years past are whiffing or being tossed aside, the OLine is not opening holes and being physical (admitted by staff) and we cannot get off the field on 3rd down. If we get a negative play on O, it seems like a death sentence for that drive, but if the other team does it, they seem to get a chunk play and make it 3rd and short and pick it up. Bottom line, imo, is that this team needs to get over themselves and find that chip that has worked so well for us over the years. The SBC has caught up to us and everyone wants what we have. We are the star attraction still and will always have that bullseye . . . we cant just take the field and win b/c we are App State. And please, when down by 2-3 touchdowns, please stop celebrating mediocre plays like we just won the game, its embarrassing. Finally, it is OK to question some of what is going on. Calling for the heads of coaches that have proven themselves in the recent past is silly imo, but they can and should be critiqued. They take the praise, they can take the questioning. I'm 50, so I cant "give my all" on the field, but I can with my wallet, time, passion, etc. We are all part of the powerful machine that makes up App State Football, and if someone isn't pulling their weight, then it needs to be called out. That does NOT make me any less of a fan, my sleepless night can attest to that. Go Apps . . .
“Calling for the heads of coaches that have proven themselves in the recent past is silly imo”

Not sure we’re watching the same thing but Clark hasn’t proven anything.
Notice I said "coaches" not anyone specifically. Coaches who have had units perform very well in recent years are being questioned. As for Clark specifically, All I'll say is he absolutely has to get this team to stop looking at the jerseys across from them and playing to that level. That and dumb penalties. Sit some A when someone is selfish and undisciplined, we do that when someone fumbles.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:33 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:36 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
ASUTodd wrote:

I think the argument some put forward is that because he's not a threat to run, it allows the D to not have worry about covering a running QB. Without that option, it makes it easier to load the box to stop the run without fear the QB will take off. I see some merit to that thesis. Whether it makes a difference, I'm certainly not proficient to make that call. I don't see anyone calling for him to be benched or suggesting that he's not a top flight QB but he does lack that particular intangible. And, I'm glad he's our QB.
Yes .. exactly. In no way do I think Chase is a bad quarterback and I hope I am pulling for him in the NFL...he is a great passer. I just don't like that our offense went the rout of pro style offense. I prefer the RPO type offenses with a running quarterback that can complete easy wide open passes because the defense is confused. It is what we watched for years. Taylor and Zack could complete a pass but would burn you with great timing of you started cheating with the defense.

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:56 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:33 pm
hapapp wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:36 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
ASUTodd wrote:

Yes .. exactly. In no way do I think Chase is a bad quarterback and I hope I am pulling for him in the NFL...he is a great passer. I just don't like that our offense went the rout of pro style offense. I prefer the RPO type offenses with a running quarterback that can complete easy wide open passes because the defense is confused. It is what we watched for years. Taylor and Zack could complete a pass but would burn you with great timing of you started cheating with the defense.
Yeah, having a guy that can scoot out of danger, or get 7-10 yards on his own when there’s a hole changes the game. Look at McCall and that QB at JMU. one of the reasons they came back was because he could go get a first down on his own when things broke down.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:15 am

AEB4AE wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:05 pm
We have played great and beat/ competed with good teams with same players. The only logical reason for recent performances is that we have been well scouted, and we may be predictable. Need to self-scout to remove tendencies. Other teams lately seem to know what is coming in given situations. Running QB are running free between DE and OLB.Need to do something different.

That's what scares me about Ga State and CCU!!! Their running QB!! It has hurt us against UNC and JMU.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:37 am

I wonder if a Come to Jesus meeting led by available football alums like AE, TL, Henni, Demarco, Zac, Fehr, Middleton, The Mayor, etc might be in order here. If the locker room has guys not commited to "giving their all", perhaps the alums can light a fire underneath them, or show them the door.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:15 am

The interceptions he threw against JMU and TSU were game changers.Poor decisions.He can sling it no doubt.Is he a championship QB ?We will see.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:20 am

BOONE BOUND wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:07 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
ASUTodd wrote:

Wow we better be careful what we are wishing for. Offensive evolution when Chase is gone? Whew....he is top 15 in passing yards right now in the nation. If we are not going be able to run the rock with consistency, then just think where we could have been without a talented arm to get us back in striking distance in multiple games. Athleticism? You mean can run fast, right? You are falling into the sports announcer's term when someone isn't a 4.5 40 guy. But as far as being an athlete, he is definitely that. He was a guy that could have played baseball or football out of high school at the highest of levels I'm told. We have issues we need to fix but not sure Brice is in the top 30 on that list. Beat GA STATE!
Chase brings a ton to the table. He's a better passer than ZT. ZT was a better passer than Lamb. All three have been great QB's for us. And each had their own style and operated the offense with their own talents. ZT and Lamb could take a play that was well covered and tuck and run for a first down, and it ZT's case often a TD. Chase has the ability to fit the ball into a smaller window and beat tight coverage.

With that said (and yes, Chase is giving our offense a chance to win games when the running game is failing) the reason that he's Top 15 in passing yards is become defenses are often making us one dimensional. We're being forced to pass the ball to move the ball, which is going to inflate the passing numbers.

Our offense would be more effective if we could establish the run. With Chase's talents, that means we need to establish the run with our RB's (and the occasional jet sweep couldn't hurt). That would open the passing game up, and Chase could really shine. But, it may mean that he shines with 250 yards instead of 350 and throws the ball 30-35 times, instead of 52.

Our backs have gone from Peoples and Noel, to Harrington and Marshall. Our WR's have gone from Wells, Horn, and Davis, with Robinson being #4 to a combination of Davis, Horn (who took a big hit at the end of the JMU game), Robinson (who only has one catch in each of the last two games) and Stroman. We are constantly interchanging parts, with key parts not always available for each game. Chase and the TE's are the only constant at the skill positions.
I don't know how that is affecting play calling (we ran jet sweep and misdirection against UNC). I'm curious if the blocking by the WR's is affecting the running game.

If you go back and look at the pick 6 last week (there is not great video), it looks like Brice was throwing to an open spot. However, the receiver kept running his route into the defenders. It could have been a bad read/throw by Brice or it could have been that he expected the receiver to sit down in the open area. (May not have mattered). There was also an unguarded receiver in the flat. Again, that could have been all Chase or it could have been miscommunication among receivers who are still learning the position.

We were also effective early in the season with the deep sideline fade. That play call/connection has been missing in recent weeks. Last year we were effective with corner fades in the red zone. Hennigan, Sutton and Virgil were threats with those routes. This year, we are not throwing them for some reason. (Maybe we're facing zone vs. man-to-man because our running game is getting stonewalled???)

Also, while we are not always effective with the bubble screen. Hennigan and Sutton blocking out front (or Hennigan's ability to break tackles, often resulted in first downs). That element is not present in our offense currently. If it was, would that move a player out of the box and free up the running game, which would free up the passing game?

We are focused on JMU and Coastal, but I think we need to keep in mind that Louisiana and Marshall are struggling as well. Louisiana scored 49 against Eastern Michigan and 24 against SW Louisiana. They have scored 21, 17 and 17 in three losses (and lost to Rice, ULM and South Alabama, teams they normally would win against)

Since beating Notre Dame, Marshall struggled for a half against Gardner-Webb, lost to Bowling Green in OT and only scored 7 in a loss to Troy. They put up 76 yards passing (starting QB was knocked out of game, but he was sacked 5 times and only had 49 yards passing in 13 attempts) and netted under 100 yards rushing in the Troy game. Gunnar Watson threw for 321 yards against their defense and they rushed for 100.

They play each other, so one of those teams will take another loss this weekend.

And, ULM had Coastal on the ropes, but Coastal made the defensive plays at the end of the ballgame to pull it out. (Coastal didn't score in the second half, and the game went scoreless over the final 27 minutes)

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be winning, it just shows that winning isn't easy.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:27 am

Two stats matter.Wins and losses.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:28 am

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:15 am
The interceptions he threw against JMU and TSU were game changers.Poor decisions.He can sling it no doubt.Is he a championship QB ?We will see.
Pick 6s you mean?

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:38 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:28 am
Stonewall wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:15 am
Pick 6s you mean?
The worst part of the Texas State one was that we should have just kicked the FG. I don't get why Clark passes up so many opportunities to put points on the board. That would have been a 9 point turnaround had we just kicked the FG. And who knows how a team that has never beaten us plays once we start narrowing the gap, perhaps they get tense and start making mistakes, the "we can't beat them" thoughts start creeping in. But we will never know because we gave up on the points and instead they got 6 more. We lost by 12 but with that 9 point swing it is only a 3 point game and we know we had chances at the end. And with JMU, if we kick a FG in the third we extend our lead but instead we go for it on 4th and get stopped and turn the ball over on downs. Just don't get why we are foregoing so many field goals.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:55 am

I try to avoid criticizing coaches. But one area I disagree with coach Clark is his fondness for going for it on fourth down in our half of the field. It’s bit us in the backside far too many times to name. Even with our defensive struggles, the risk in most cases far outweighs the reward.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:58 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:55 am
I try to avoid criticizing coaches. But one area I disagree with coach Clark is his fondness for going for it on fourth down in our half of the field. It’s bit us in the backside far too many times to name. Even with our defensive struggles, the risk in most cases far outweighs the reward.
Agree 1000%. Our Oline hasn’t proven that they can get us the necessary 1 or 2 yards we typically need.
Hoping Clark pulls that unit aside during this off week, and gets them back to the level we were expecting from them.

GO APPS!!

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:54 am

10 days between the next 2 games I hope helps right the ship. GaSt will be tough, hopefully we can handle R Morris then a short week for Coastal. There are too many things to work on including getting everyone back to 100% to bring up. Our running game would be #1, defensive secondary #2 in my opinion

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”