Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

I want to know

AppState89
School: Appalachian State

Re: I want to know

Unread post by AppState89 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:44 pm

bcoach wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:39 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:35 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:30 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:26 pm
AppOrange wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:27 pm
I have not made a peep since the first half of the game Saturday. But its a rant type topic so here goes:

I have listened to podcasts and read a ton of comments, and to be frank, some of it is apologetic, excuse laden, non sense. For starters, I am no Drink fan or hater, dude came in did his job and left, meh. But to blame this year's "play to your opponent" type of mentality and the other on field issues is on this year's staff and players. The tackling has been poor, coming out "flat" as described by the players, and my goodness the dumb/undisciplined penalties. OUR team looked so good against P5 competition this year and so poor against everyone else not named Citadel. Is that Drink? Guys that tackled really well in years past are whiffing or being tossed aside, the OLine is not opening holes and being physical (admitted by staff) and we cannot get off the field on 3rd down. If we get a negative play on O, it seems like a death sentence for that drive, but if the other team does it, they seem to get a chunk play and make it 3rd and short and pick it up. Bottom line, imo, is that this team needs to get over themselves and find that chip that has worked so well for us over the years. The SBC has caught up to us and everyone wants what we have. We are the star attraction still and will always have that bullseye . . . we cant just take the field and win b/c we are App State. And please, when down by 2-3 touchdowns, please stop celebrating mediocre plays like we just won the game, its embarrassing. Finally, it is OK to question some of what is going on. Calling for the heads of coaches that have proven themselves in the recent past is silly imo, but they can and should be critiqued. They take the praise, they can take the questioning. I'm 50, so I cant "give my all" on the field, but I can with my wallet, time, passion, etc. We are all part of the powerful machine that makes up App State Football, and if someone isn't pulling their weight, then it needs to be called out. That does NOT make me any less of a fan, my sleepless night can attest to that. Go Apps . . .
At the end of the 2019 season, we had the opportunity to build on what had be built for years. We had national attention, we might have been on the cusp of be what Boise State was in 2004 or what Cincinnati was in 2017. But we had an AD that was looking elsewhere and made an easy (lazy) hire. Now we have to deal with that and hopefully get back to where we were in New Orleans at the end of the 2019 season. History is not on our side. So all that can be done now is hope.
Do you think we should have hired someone else? I’m not sure where you stand on the Clark hire
Rich Rodriguez was out there. He was very successful at WVU and wasn't bad at the lesser ASU.
Was he in our salary range and would he be another 1 year hire. My guess is that would be a no and a yes.
Rich would laugh at our offer. I'm sure he was making around 2-3 million a year at West Virginia. I agree with you on both.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:48 pm

Let's stay inside the effing box and see how that goes.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:54 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppOrange wrote:
I have not made a peep since the first half of the game Saturday. But its a rant type topic so here goes:

I have listened to podcasts and read a ton of comments, and to be frank, some of it is apologetic, excuse laden, non sense. For starters, I am no Drink fan or hater, dude came in did his job and left, meh. But to blame this year's "play to your opponent" type of mentality and the other on field issues is on this year's staff and players. The tackling has been poor, coming out "flat" as described by the players, and my goodness the dumb/undisciplined penalties. OUR team looked so good against P5 competition this year and so poor against everyone else not named Citadel. Is that Drink? Guys that tackled really well in years past are whiffing or being tossed aside, the OLine is not opening holes and being physical (admitted by staff) and we cannot get off the field on 3rd down. If we get a negative play on O, it seems like a death sentence for that drive, but if the other team does it, they seem to get a chunk play and make it 3rd and short and pick it up. Bottom line, imo, is that this team needs to get over themselves and find that chip that has worked so well for us over the years. The SBC has caught up to us and everyone wants what we have. We are the star attraction still and will always have that bullseye . . . we cant just take the field and win b/c we are App State. And please, when down by 2-3 touchdowns, please stop celebrating mediocre plays like we just won the game, its embarrassing. Finally, it is OK to question some of what is going on. Calling for the heads of coaches that have proven themselves in the recent past is silly imo, but they can and should be critiqued. They take the praise, they can take the questioning. I'm 50, so I cant "give my all" on the field, but I can with my wallet, time, passion, etc. We are all part of the powerful machine that makes up App State Football, and if someone isn't pulling their weight, then it needs to be called out. That does NOT make me any less of a fan, my sleepless night can attest to that. Go Apps . . .
At the end of the 2019 season, we had the opportunity to build on what had be built for years. We had national attention, we might have been on the cusp of be what Boise State was in 2004 or what Cincinnati was in 2017. But we had an AD that was looking elsewhere and made an easy (lazy) hire. Now we have to deal with that and hopefully get back to where we were in New Orleans at the end of the 2019 season. History is not on our side. So all that can be done now is hope.
Do you think we should have hired someone else? I’m not sure where you stand on the Clark hire
Rich Rodriguez was out there. He was very successful at WVU and wasn't bad at the lesser ASU.
And with any success he’d a been long gone before now. He also dumped wv 4 months after signing a contract extension to go to Michigan. It was so contentious it wound up in court. He also went 3-9 his first year and was the subject of ncaa violations and his players hated him. You always say rich Rodriguez and I honestly think it’s because you’ve heard of him but there was a reason he was available

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:56 pm

bcoach wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:34 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppOrange wrote:

Looks to me like he clearly hates the hire and should have hired almost anyone else.
Yeah I was being tongue n cheek. He’s beat this drum forever. He’d probably love to see Clark fail which would mean app fails so he could be right. It’s so bizarre. Clark is our guy. Lamenting who we should have hired endlessly is an exercise in futility

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:00 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:54 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppOrange wrote:

And with any success he’d a been long gone before now. He also dumped wv 4 months after signing a contract extension to go to Michigan. It was so contentious it wound up in court. He also went 3-9 his first year and was the subject of ncaa violations and his players hated him. You always say rich Rodriguez and I honestly think it’s because you’ve heard of him but there was a reason he was available
I've heard of Urban Meyer too. He was available. But I'm not suggesting nonsense. There was a proven coach out there who should have been considered. Like that's not complicated or controversial. Hell yes he jumped for Michigan. But he was good at a place not unlike App.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:01 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:00 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

I've heard of Urban Meyer too. He was available. But I'm not suggesting nonsense. There was a proven coach out there who should have been considered. Like that's not complicated or controversial. Hell yes he jumped for Michigan. But he was good at a place not unlike App.
Who

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:06 pm

"Lazy hire" is as about the biggest piece of BS I have read on here (several times, unfortunately) in some time
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:06 pm

I don't think Coach Clark "sucks"....as some have said (now Jones I might lean toward saying that). I don't like where he has this team at the moment. I remember when Coach Moore took his trip up to WV to learn from Rodriguez and transition to the spread offense. The team missed the playoffs and went 7-4. The rest...is history. I'm not saying Clark needs to up and change our entire team dynamics.... but there has to be something that is keeping this team from coming together and being all it can be. I'm hoping that the seat is getting warm for him and that he's realizing he has to do something. I want him to succeed. I don't want another head coaching change. Something has to give as we can't be complacent with this trajectory.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:08 pm

AppOrange wrote:

“Calling for the heads of coaches that have proven themselves in the recent past is silly imo”

Not sure we’re watching the same thing but Clark hasn’t proven anything.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:10 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:06 pm
"Lazy hire" is as about the biggest piece of BS I have read on here (several times, unfortunately) in some time
Lazy or not, it wasn’t the best choice. You should know more than anyone since you’re a WVU guy too. Clark reminds me of Bill Stewart. Great guy, great representation for the school but not a good head coach or one that keep taking the program forward.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:23 pm

There's much more to the story of what happened at WVU with Rodriguez than most know - I will try to add some later ---
You are correct about Bill Stewart being a great guy, loved WV, but not a great head coach -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:27 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

I like how you sidestepped everything I wrote.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:30 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:06 pm
I don't think Coach Clark "sucks"....as some have said (now Jones I might lean toward saying that). I don't like where he has this team at the moment. I remember when Coach Moore took his trip up to WV to learn from Rodriguez and transition to the spread offense. The team missed the playoffs and went 7-4. The rest...is history. I'm not saying Clark needs to up and change our entire team dynamics.... but there has to be something that is keeping this team from coming together and being all it can be. I'm hoping that the seat is getting warm for him and that he's realizing he has to do something. I want him to succeed. I don't want another head coaching change. Something has to give as we can't be complacent with this trajectory.
An offensive evolution is exactly what we need. Unfortunately...or fortunately depending on how you look at it...we won't see an offensive evolution until Chase Brice graduates. Chase is a great guy and a great QB. We are lucky ot have him and I'm sure his maturity and experience are holding things together. Someone who says otherwise about CB does not see the whole picture that includes all the way back to the Drinkwitz year. Now, Brice is not the athlete that ZT was. Taylor Lamb was a better runner than Chase. This lack of athleticism is holding back our offense from running a RPO/Pistol/Run & Gun offense. Honestly Chase Brice is holding together an offense that is too young/inexperience/immature to compete this year.

Hopefully next year all pieces save for QB are a year bigger, stronger, faster & mature and the offense transforms into something we all want it to be. If 21 of the 22 guys are good the last peice can come along nicely.

I've seen Clark grow as a coach in many ways and I do not subscribe to the idea he is incompetent. I think injuries, inexperience, poor scheduling and immaturity have lead the team to its current postion.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:45 pm

Thanks. Do you think our line issues have anything at all to do with strength and conditioning?

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:51 pm

I’m hopeful that the current woes are growing pains and player limitations (ie guys playing in places they’re not used to and are trying to get up to speed). 2004 does come to mind-it was a tough year for us as fans, but it paid off.

I don’t like some of the things I see (a lot of them). Our team seems immature in places, especially with the penalties. We should be better than that, but I was 18-23 once, and I was emotional then, too. Hell, I’m emotional now!

We all want the best for the program and university (I hope). Sometimes you gotta crawl first. I still don’t love our defense, but they’re what we’ve got, so I’ll have to deal with it. I just hope that next season proves to be a 2005 type year, where we play with heart and do something we’ve never done before.

It’s the hope that kills you…
Give 'em hell!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:59 pm

YesAppCan wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:45 pm
Thanks. Do you think our line issues have anything at all to do with strength and conditioning?
I don’t think so. We have four returning starters and they had the same S&C coach as last year.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:04 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:27 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:

You already know. Clark wasn't ready for this job after or 2019 success. I wish him well. I want a turn around. But I don't see it. Not now, not in December of '19. I wish we'd tried something else. You've asked for names. I gave you mine. I would have talked to Elliott (then too) but this is what we have.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:23 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:04 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

You already know. Clark wasn't ready for this job after or 2019 success. I wish him well. I want a turn around. But I don't see it. Not now, not in December of '19. I wish we'd tried something else. You've asked for names. I gave you mine. I would have talked to Elliott (then too) but this is what we have.
And we want Coach Clark to be successful right?

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:30 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:23 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:04 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:

And we want Coach Clark to be successful right?
I do. It may take time. To me it looks like it might. I think we look several years away from competing for a conference title. I have never called for a firing.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:47 pm

Rich Rod😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
That has got to be a joke😂😂😂😂😂😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”