Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

I want to know

appgrad95&97
School: Appalachian State

Re: I want to know

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:26 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:24 pm
We were the consensus pick to win the Sunbelt.This season is an abject failure.
Obviously. And there is absolutely no reason to think the future, at least the next few years, will be better.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:32 pm

No to everyone...

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:42 pm

Losing FIVE one score games is not acceptable in any season.

If this is acceptable we are making excuses and your bias is showing.

appstate5

Unread post by appstate5 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:22 pm

I'm a little tired of the excuses too....COVID year, Injuries, recruits not panning out....something every other team experiences.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:40 pm

appstate5 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:22 pm
I'm a little tired of the excuses too....COVID year, Injuries, recruits not panning out....something every other team experiences.
Not all to the same extent.
Some of us need to get our panties out of a wad and let Gillian and Co. do their job. If anybody needs to go DG will see it and act..if possible. We don't need to fire a coach and pay him after he is gone and then try to afford a name brand coach at the same time who might turn out worse..
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:47 pm

appstate5 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:22 pm
And not every team does it with the consistent success that we do. 6-6 isn’t a losing season. Sure, it sucks but 90% of the programs in the country would relish the kind of consistency that we have been able to maintain. I guess we could be UNCC by or ECU of the last decade.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:16 pm

Again --- we were 10-2 in the regular season last year --- and we are using excuses???
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:33 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:23 am
AppWyo wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:38 pm
No team is ever a bad team that takes another team into overtime...

Only one game this season was really a blowout loss of 12 points.

Just think how sweet it will be when App beats all these teams next season...

Everyone said that App needed better competition. Now it has better competition and all you want to do is cry...

With the kind of reasoning some are using on this board, Coastal should fire Jamey Chadwell because of the blowout loss to JMU 7-47 and ODU 21-49, for a total of 68 points.

App lost by a total of 35 points this season.

Troy has been successful this season, because they have not had to play in the Sun Belt East.
I’m looking at a 6 and you’re telling me it’s a 9.

The fact App lost so many very winnable games shows me App was out coached numerous times. You are your record. Coastal is 9-2, and SBC East champs. They would probably be 10-2 with a P5 win if not for the tragedy in Virginia.

Jamey Chadwell is a crappy dude, but a great coach. Shawn Clark is a great dude, but a pretty bad coach. I don’t think it would be THAT hard to find someone who is a pretty good dude AND a pretty good coach.
JMU is Sun Belt East Champion, not Coastal. JMU does not qualify for post season play this year.

I doubt Drinkwitz would have been able to maintain what he had inherited in Boone. I do believe Clark needs five or six years to completely develop into a great coach. I believe App should keep him as long as we can, because he wants to be here. If App had gotten rid of Jerry Moore than we would not have what we have now. Just look at how long it has taken Michigan to be Michigan since Loyd Carr stopped being head coach, because of all the coaching changes they were relegated to irrelevant.

If you go back to Appalachian's success over the years, well at least since Jerry Moore was the head coach, the coaching staff did not change drastically. Other programs came and went, App was consistent. I mean Georgia Southern had our number and only when their coaches changed, we beat them.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:53 pm

Sparky was a pretty good coach and with few resources.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:49 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:33 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:23 am
AppWyo wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:38 pm
No team is ever a bad team that takes another team into overtime...

Only one game this season was really a blowout loss of 12 points.

Just think how sweet it will be when App beats all these teams next season...

Everyone said that App needed better competition. Now it has better competition and all you want to do is cry...

With the kind of reasoning some are using on this board, Coastal should fire Jamey Chadwell because of the blowout loss to JMU 7-47 and ODU 21-49, for a total of 68 points.

App lost by a total of 35 points this season.

Troy has been successful this season, because they have not had to play in the Sun Belt East.
I’m looking at a 6 and you’re telling me it’s a 9.

The fact App lost so many very winnable games shows me App was out coached numerous times. You are your record. Coastal is 9-2, and SBC East champs. They would probably be 10-2 with a P5 win if not for the tragedy in Virginia.

Jamey Chadwell is a crappy dude, but a great coach. Shawn Clark is a great dude, but a pretty bad coach. I don’t think it would be THAT hard to find someone who is a pretty good dude AND a pretty good coach.
JMU is Sun Belt East Champion, not Coastal. JMU does not qualify for post season play this year.

I doubt Drinkwitz would have been able to maintain what he had inherited in Boone. I do believe Clark needs five or six years to completely develop into a great coach. I believe App should keep him as long as we can, because he wants to be here. If App had gotten rid of Jerry Moore than we would not have what we have now. Just look at how long it has taken Michigan to be Michigan since Loyd Carr stopped being head coach, because of all the coaching changes they were relegated to irrelevant.

If you go back to Appalachian's success over the years, well at least since Jerry Moore was the head coach, the coaching staff did not change drastically. Other programs came and went, App was consistent. I mean Georgia Southern had our number and only when their coaches changed, we beat them.
You’re right that Drink wouldn’t have maintained what he achieved that first year, but I would bet my house he would’ve never missed being bowl eligible. I mean he’s bowl eligible at Mizzou, in a MUCH harder conference after inheriting a much worse situation.

As for Jerry Moore, his first 3 seasons he went 9-3, 6-5, 8-4. That 3rd season he also won the conference. Something Clark has yet to do. Coach Moore won less than 6 games exactly once in his tenure as App head coach, and he never finished lower than 4th in the conference. Looking at Jerry Moore’s record year-by-year shows a coach who knew how to recruit well, develop talent, and rebuild after a great class moved through. All we’ve seen with Clark is regression. If App comes out next year and just blows the doors off everyone (or just wins more than 7 games) I’ll eat all the crow you’ve got.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:51 pm

I guess a win over App wasn't enough to save the Texas State coach. Interesting article and comments on ESPN. The now former coach went full Portal and it didn't work. They want to shift back to recruiting high school players again. Even though Texas is huge good luck against UT, A&M, TT, Baylor, Houston and for that matter OU.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:34 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:51 pm
I guess a win over App wasn't enough to save the Texas State coach. Interesting article and comments on ESPN. The now former coach went full Portal and it didn't work. They want to shift back to recruiting high school players again. Even though Texas is huge good luck against UT, A&M, TT, Baylor, Houston and for that matter OU.
Aside from it being in Texas, Going portal/transfer heavy has now been seen to not work at Arkansas St and now Texas St. I get why App is looking at the JuCo kids to fill gaps now, but it is a slippery slope.

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:51 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:34 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Aside from it being in Texas, Going portal/transfer heavy has now been seen to not work at Arkansas St and now Texas St. I get why App is looking at the JuCo kids to fill gaps now, but it is a slippery slope.
I don’t want us to live in the portal, but if we’re gonna acknowledge the awful teams that lived in the portal we may as well mention the teams that did better. Marshall had 24 guys added from the portal and went 8-4 with a win vs ND. LSU went all in on the portal and won the SEC West.

The programs that failed with transfers were already at rock bottom in the old ways of building a team.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:04 am

If we have 28 seniors leaving and less than 20 commitments, I would think we need to be looking at JUCO, portal, etc. if for nothing else, depth. I do not know the roster makeup. Maybe we do not, just using numbers above. I do not and believe most do not believe we need to live in the portal for a significant majority of our roster. However, we need a full roster. If we have one, great. If not, we should be searching for experienced players to come into the program.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:19 am

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:51 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:34 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
I don’t want us to live in the portal, but if we’re gonna acknowledge the awful teams that lived in the portal we may as well mention the teams that did better. Marshall had 24 guys added from the portal and went 8-4 with a win vs ND. LSU went all in on the portal and won the SEC West.

The programs that failed with transfers were already at rock bottom in the old ways of building a team.
That’s fair, but let’s pump the breaks on celebrating the programs that won going this route with success this year. Arkansas St was a SBC title contender that Anderson destroyed going this route and they are still recovering from to this day. Yes Texas St. has been bad for a while and the portal/transfer route didn’t improve their situation. My point is that it hasn’t been proven as a long term recipe for sustained success.

The two programs that you isolated on are in a somewhat similar situation as we have at App but are able to proceed much differently. All three have new coaches that are trying to fill gaps in talent deficiencies that occurred through poor recruiting done prior to their watch. LSU is a SEC P5 that can probably get anyone they want anyways. The difference between App and those other two is the tightly tied rope around our hands by the North Carolina University system when it comes to transfers. It is not a level playing field.

We all prefer to win. The portal allows for opportunities to win.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:23 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:04 am
If we have 28 seniors leaving and less than 20 commitments, I would think we need to be looking at JUCO, portal, etc. if for nothing else, depth. I do not know the roster makeup. Maybe we do not, just using numbers above. I do not and believe most do not believe we need to live in the portal for a significant majority of our roster. However, we need a full roster. If we have one, great. If not, we should be searching for experienced players to come into the program.
We have 14 commits as of today from high school kids. We have a huge Official Visit weekend coming up in a couple of weeks. We have quite a few JuCo offers out and every one currently in the portal has been evaluated by the staff. We will be fine.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”