Rule Changes for 2022

moonshine
School: Appalachian State

Rule Changes for 2022

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:12 pm

2022 Rules Changes

Targeting Carryover Appeal Process
In games that have instant replay, when a targeting foul occurs in the second half, the carryover penalty (of sitting out the first half of that player's next game) will be eligible for further appeal. The process will begin with a conference submitting a request to the NCAA national coordinator of officials, who would review video of the play. If it is obvious that a player was incorrectly penalized for targeting, the call would be overturned, and the player would be cleared to play in the first half of the next game.

Deceptive Injury Timeout Investigation Process
To address teams that are awarded an injury timeout through deceptive actions, panel members approved a reporting and investigation process. Schools and conferences will be able to report questionable scenarios to the national coordinator of officials, who will review and provide feedback to the conference for further action. Any penalties levied would be up to the conference office or school involved.

The NCAA Football Rules Committee considered several in-game options to address this, including altering the injury timeout rule to remove the injured student-athlete for more than one play. Currently, an injured player is required to sit out one play. This concept was debated at length, but the committee was concerned with the additional issues that could be created and did not want to encourage players to continue to participate when injured.

Committee members discussed how the pace of play appears to be contributing to this concern. "We considered all options to address this issue, including allowing both teams an opportunity to substitute after a first down," said David Shaw, chair of the Football Rules Committee and coach at Stanford. "This is another step to consider in the future."

Blocking Below the Waist
The panel approved a proposal to improve safety and simplify the rules governing blocking below the waist. The proposal will allow blocking below the waist only by linemen and stationary backs inside the tackle box. Outside the tackle box on scrimmage plays, blocking below the waist will be prohibited. Analysis of available NCAA injury surveillance data indicates a decreasing knee injury trend that coincides with recent rules changes in this area.

Other Rule Changes
  • If a ball carrier simulates a feet-first slide, officials will declare the runner down at that spot.
  • Defensive holding will remain a 10-yard penalty but will always carry an automatic first down.
  • The replay official will address any clock adjustment and status only when a ruling is overturned with less than two minutes in the 2nd or 4th quarter.
  • Illegal Touching by an originally ineligible player is penalized five yards from the previous spot and now includes loss of down.
  • Addition of Signal 28 for Illegal Blindside Block

Per a GS fan:
"the utility of heavy over sets are affected as well, as an extra OL on the line can be outside of the box by definition. The first video showed at SBC Media Days was a formation from App against us last year that wouldn't be legal anymore."
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

T-Dog

Re: Rule Changes for 2022

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:33 pm

I did a Twitter thread of that Sun Belt Media Day presentation on the new rules. Blocking below the waist was the No. 1 focus.

Basically, the App played showed as a TE low block. TE can't low block anymore unless they're one of the five on the OL and are in the spot the tackle usually is.

Additionally, I cover HSFB and at a scrimmage two weeks ago, the refs spent several minutes talking to the teams beforehand on the blocking below the waist calls.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:00 pm

Low Blocks and Low Tackles. This should help lower leg injuries.
Bring Your A Game!

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:30 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:33 pm
I did a Twitter thread of that Sun Belt Media Day presentation on the new rules. Blocking below the waist was the No. 1 focus.

Basically, the App played showed as a TE low block. TE can't low block anymore unless they're one of the five on the OL and are in the spot the tackle usually is.

Additionally, I cover HSFB and at a scrimmage two weeks ago, the refs spent several minutes talking to the teams beforehand on the blocking below the waist calls.

Sorry I missed your twitter thread, I've been out of the loop since mid-July. Good info there!

Do we know the SBC's stance on the deceptive injury timeouts? Glad they are trying to address this issue but seems pretty subjective. The previous rule required that the "injured" player sit out 1 play. I would like to see this sit out penalty extended to the next 1st down. This penalty could result in a player missing anywhere from 1-4 plays depending on the down the injury happened and the success of the offense.

For example, if it's 3rd and 7 and the offense gets the 1st down, hurries to the line and defensive player just goes down, that player could potentially miss 1st-4th down on the next series. The player could only re-enter the game on the offense's next 1st down which could be after the next play or after 4th down or the offense's next possession if they punt on 4th.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:28 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:00 pm
Sucks for Elon.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:50 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:28 pm
huskie3 wrote:
Sucks for Elon.
Love it when sarcasm meets with real life events.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:13 pm

InFor6More wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:50 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:28 pm
huskie3 wrote:
Sucks for Elon.
Love it when sarcasm meets with real life events.
Me sarcastic? Never!
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:45 pm

The rules committee is still discussing how to call deceptive injuries during the game. It's a hard balance because they absolutely want to avoid having a real injury being called a deceptive injury during a game.

John McDaid, who did the presentation at Sun Belt Media Days, is also the SEC officials coordinator. So how the SEC goes on deceptive injuries, the Sun Belt will go.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:34 pm

Like all of these. Good job NCAA (did I really just say that?????)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”