Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNC game discussion

goapps93

Re: UNC game discussion

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:10 pm

Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:29 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:18 pm
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:10 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:00 pm
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:45 pm

He got beat out by a five star, top 50 player in the country. Do you people watch football, honestly, other than the Sun Belt?
nobody wants the tar hole throw aways. If he can't start for a lower program than us, what makes you think he'd be successful here?

I have a strong suspicion you are one of those UNC/App hybrid fans with your weird obsession with getting their backup qb.
Chase Brice was arguably the worst QB in P5 and came here and has been solid for App. I have a strong suspicion Criswell would crush the numbers he's put up while providing some things we haven't had in a QB recently. I never said it was ACTUALLY doable or going to happen, but what I would like if I could recruit.
Good grief man. Are you gonna be in the Ram’s Club seating Saturday? We get it. You love Carolina. You don’t have to keep selling it to us. And Howell put up big numbers for bad teams. But I’ll rattle off 20 quarterbacks that were better in the ACC. I’m not really getting your Carolina Blue homerism as they are fixing to play your supposed school. And you have exactly zero evidence to support Criswell “crushing” numbers. When are you gonna change your avatar to EricChuchappheel?
was Chase Brice not bad? Do you honestly think he'd throw for 3300 yards playing against a full P5 schedule? I'm sorry I'm not an App homer 24/7 like some of you and can maybe look at some things objectively. I'll be rooting for App and only root for App as much as that probably kills you to read, but I know where stand in the college football world unlike I guess some of you.
To be fair Chase had to learn Cutcliffe’s offense and coordinate with his receivers via Zoom. It’s a tall task to learn that offense in one camp, much taller to learn it by video conference.
WE ARE YOSEF!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:24 pm

"Chase Brice was arguably the worst QB in P5 "

There have been some stupid comments on MMB over the years but this has to be in the top 5

Ask the Clemson fans if Chase was the worst QB
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

biggie
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by biggie » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:34 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:24 pm

There have been some stupid comments on MMB over the years but this has to be in the top 5

Believe that referral was to him being at Dook. There were a few things that contributed to that season but setting record for turnovers isn’t too good.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:25 am

biggie wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:34 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:

Believe that referral was to him being at Dook. There were a few things that contributed to that season but setting record for turnovers isn’t too good.
Duke was the worst team in the ACC the year he was there. Sometimes things aren’t really that complicated to figure out.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:15 am

Clark seemed to think playing a week zero game was an advantage in his presser. Teams improve the most week 1 to week 2. Don’t underestimate this team if you only watched the first half last week.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:01 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:15 am
Clark seemed to think playing a week zero game was an advantage in his presser. Teams improve the most week 1 to week 2. Don’t underestimate this team if you only watched the first half last week.
I agree. UNC has recruited talent. I hope we are not over confident going into this game. Need to show up with a blue collar, hard working mentality. Unc will try to make us look bad and we will need to counter that. I remember what happened when Miami came to Boone.

Shouldn't be hard to get up for this game. Our players have to hear that they weren't good enough to be recruited by unc, unc should run them off the field, they are pissed they even have to come up the mountain and play in our high school stadium, we don't have near as many stars as them, blah, blah, blah. We will need to maintain our composure and play tough, hard nosed football.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:06 am

goapps93 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:10 pm
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:29 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:18 pm
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:10 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:00 pm

nobody wants the tar hole throw aways. If he can't start for a lower program than us, what makes you think he'd be successful here?

I have a strong suspicion you are one of those UNC/App hybrid fans with your weird obsession with getting their backup qb.
Chase Brice was arguably the worst QB in P5 and came here and has been solid for App. I have a strong suspicion Criswell would crush the numbers he's put up while providing some things we haven't had in a QB recently. I never said it was ACTUALLY doable or going to happen, but what I would like if I could recruit.
Good grief man. Are you gonna be in the Ram’s Club seating Saturday? We get it. You love Carolina. You don’t have to keep selling it to us. And Howell put up big numbers for bad teams. But I’ll rattle off 20 quarterbacks that were better in the ACC. I’m not really getting your Carolina Blue homerism as they are fixing to play your supposed school. And you have exactly zero evidence to support Criswell “crushing” numbers. When are you gonna change your avatar to EricChuchappheel?
was Chase Brice not bad? Do you honestly think he'd throw for 3300 yards playing against a full P5 schedule? I'm sorry I'm not an App homer 24/7 like some of you and can maybe look at some things objectively. I'll be rooting for App and only root for App as much as that probably kills you to read, but I know where stand in the college football world unlike I guess some of you.
To be fair Chase had to learn Cutcliffe’s offense and coordinate with his receivers via Zoom. It’s a tall task to learn that offense in one camp, much taller to learn it by video conference.
Bingo…Having a bad season with a bad team does not make a bad QB.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:18 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:25 am
biggie wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

Duke was the worst team in the ACC the year he was there. Sometimes things aren’t really that complicated to figure out.
Cut could have brought in Tom Brady and doubtful Duke would have won many more games - if I remember, Chase suffered the most sacks and knockdowns of any QB and as we have seen he is not a statue back there - that Duke team was horrible, but they did actually score points against pretty good teams ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:25 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:18 am
sixtoes9134 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:25 am
biggie wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

Cut could have brought in Tom Brady and doubtful Duke would have won many more games - if I remember, Chase suffered the most sacks and knockdowns of any QB and as we have seen he is not a statue back there - that Duke team was horrible, but they did actually score points against pretty good teams ---
It was really hard not to feel bad for him. They did not have anyone good on the OL and he got beat up for it. They went from 2-9 and 24.8ppg with him to 3-9 and 22.8ppg last year without him. The fact they won one more game is misleading since they did not play a full OOC schedule. He went from 10 TD 15 INT at Duke to 27 TD 11 INT at App. It will be interesting to see what he does this year if he can get his timing down with the new group of WR starters.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:37 am

WVAPPeer wrote:

Agree, anyone who believes that probably uses the term ‘Neers, also

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:39 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:37 am
WVAPPeer wrote:

Agree, anyone who believes that probably uses the term ‘Neers, also
If you guys want an honest assessment of Chase’s experience at Duke, walk up to his daddy and utter the words David Cutcliffe. :lol:

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:26 am

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:34 am

Nice- Coach Kerns

Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:59 am

In this game, The adage that "stars mean nothing" applies. Sean was doing his proper "coach speak" as did Mack. Our guys are ready. Sean and Barbey will have them prepared. Carolina is still learning Clizik's defense. It may take a few more games to get it. Remember when Roof was at App, it took 4 games, plus a little "come to Jesus meeting" with Coach Drink to get our D in line. Sam Howell was then a Heisman candidate but we handled him. In fact I bet Meech still shows up in his nightmares. Bottom line here: We are good as Carolina is, perhaps better in some areas. This time we are playing at HOME with a stacked offense and a defense with proven players including a pre season All American. We have this game if we can play Appalachian State football: hard tough running, and a passing game to keep the D honest. We also have speed and lots of it. Hampton will have a field day in May's face. I'm confident, not overconfident just aware of what we have from whence we have come. After BigC puts out his prediction tomorrow, I'll put mine out. Hint, it will have App winning a hard fought slobber knocker. Go App! Go 1-0 this week.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:14 am

appstate77 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:59 am
In this game, The adage that "stars mean nothing" applies. Sean was doing his proper "coach speak" as did Mack. Our guys are ready. Sean and Barbey will have them prepared. Carolina is still learning Clizik's defense. It may take a few more games to get it. Remember when Roof was at App, it took 4 games, plus a little "come to Jesus meeting" with Coach Drink to get our D in line. Sam Howell was then a Heisman candidate but we handled him. In fact I bet Meech still shows up in his nightmares. Bottom line here: We are good as Carolina is, perhaps better in some areas. This time we are playing at HOME with a stacked offense and a defense with proven players including a pre season All American. We have this game if we can play Appalachian State football: hard tough running, and a passing game to keep the D honest. We also have speed and lots of it. Hampton will have a field day in May's face. I'm confident, not overconfident just aware of what we have from whence we have come. After BigC puts out his prediction tomorrow, I'll put mine out. Hint, it will have App winning a hard fought slobber knocker. Go App! Go 1-0 this week.
Sam was making like his 4th start of his freshmen year, he was NOT a true Heisman candidate. No need to overinflate what we did, we beat UNC at their place with what most pundits would call inferior talent (but a better team). And if we are able to beat them again, it will again be with a better TEAM but inferior talent.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:27 am

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:14 am
appstate77 wrote:
Sam was making like his 4th start of his freshmen year, he was NOT a true Heisman candidate. No need to overinflate what we did, we beat UNC at their place with what most pundits would call inferior talent (but a better team). And if we are able to beat them again, it will again be with a better TEAM but inferior talent.
Agree 100%. Howelll was not a Heisman candidate his freshman year other than by the baby blue faithful...another Big difference. Howell was a. newbie freshman. Maye is a RS Freshman..has had a year to learn system. Personally feel like we have several inexperienced players on defense... hopefully the young talent steps up and by the end of year we are talking about a new player on defense that may appear to have elite level talent in addition to the ones we know coming into season.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:48 am

Just a counter point to poke the bear. We always hear Carolina has 4-5 stars across the board and that means they are a devastating team. They do have a lot of 4-5 star players. However, historically they have consistently underperformed vs their individual talent. That is a fact. We also know that when a player is recruited and commits to UNC they frequently get a bump in the rating systems. Fair or unfair it happens too often so you have to conclude that maybe the bump may not a bit more than is deserved thus maybe inflating their overall recruiting rankings.

All I am saying is, they still gotta line up and execute as a team to convert a lot of very good talent into results on the field and a W.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:59 am

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:14 am
appstate77 wrote:
Agree here. He was probably 1 of 50 names but I don't even remember many UNC fans thinking he was a serious contender.

Indeed with you on the team and talent standpoint. UNC SHOULD and DOES have more future NFL talent than we do but we will see who has the better team. You can bring in 4-5 star players but they have to be hard working players, you need good coaches, and the talent has to play as a team. Even though they should hammer us when you consider we don't have a single player they wanted out of high school I think this will be a close game.

I just wonder if the fact a game like this is seen as a pick 'em game for the odds makers is a disappointment for their fans this far in the Mack Brown era. Back when we beat them many of their fans said to enjoy it because by 2022 they would come to Boone and get revenge with a blowout win. Even though I believe we lose a close one I don't see the blowout that most of their fans then and some now believe will happen.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:19 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:48 am
Just a counter point to poke the bear. We always hear Carolina has 4-5 stars across the board and that means they are a devastating team. They do have a lot of 4-5 star players. However, historically they have consistently underperformed vs their individual talent. That is a fact. We also know that when a player is recruited and commits to UNC they frequently get a bump in the rating systems. Fair or unfair it happens too often so you have to conclude that maybe the bump may not a bit more than is deserved thus maybe inflating their overall recruiting rankings.

All I am saying is, they still gotta line up and execute as a team to convert a lot of very good talent into results on the field and a W.
100% true here. 247, Rivals, and ESPN do indeed give the biggest bump to SEC commits but they also give a slight bump to the other P5s. We have seen our players rated 87 or higher drop some when they commit to us, the opposite of what theirs do.

The ratings mean nothing for us though. Look at Nick Hampton as an example. He commits to us and is given a high 2-star rating despite looking more like a mid 3-star caliber that should have gotten P5 interest. Had he gone to UNC I bet 247 would have ranked him as a 84 instead of a 79. Just watch his highlights:

He has gone from 205 to 240 pounds and is no doubt better than that 79 that 247 gave him. If he got a rating based on how he has played in college I would imagine they would give him an 89-92 now. We have several others like that whose college performance has been much better than their 247/Rivals/ESPN rating.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:31 pm

I think some of you might be forgetting about who Sam Howell was ---

As you might remember Sam committed to Florida State - huge get for the Seminoles but they lost their OC and low and behold, Mack swoops in and turns him - His first big GET ---

Consensus four-star prospect who is ranked the No. 2 player in the state of North Carolina, the No. 3 pro-style quarterback in the country and the No. 87 overall player nationally by the 247Sports Composite • Member of the ESPN300 • Ranked as the fourth-best QB at the Elite 11 Opening finals • Played in the All-American Bowl in San Antonio, going 11-of-13 for 167 yards and a TD along with a rushing TD • Represented North Carolina at the 2018 Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas • Finished his career by going 805-of-1,361 for 13,415 yards and 145 TDs, while rushing for 3,621 yards and 60 scores • Set the North Carolina record for total yards with 17,036 • Ranks second in state history in career passing yards • Named 2018 North Carolina Gatorade Player of the Year following his senior year • Tabbed North Carolina Offensive Player of the Year by USA Today, the AP, and the Charlotte Observer • Earned first-team all-state and All-Observer honors •
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”