Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NIL & College football

AppState89
School: Appalachian State

NIL & College football

Unread post by AppState89 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:12 pm

I've been saying pretty much everything in this article for over a year now. This article makes some really good points about NIL deals and college football. **If someone has already posted this, I will delete this post.

https://sportscroll.com/heres-how-the-n ... 5021920016
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Re: NIL & College football

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:28 am

I don’t ever recall this much groaning when coaches salaries ballooned in the past few decades, or how conferences rake in millions/billions in tv revenue. Yet when the labor starts making a little bit of money (in the open)…

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:03 am

People have certainly complained about coaches salaries and college athletics becoming more professionalized.

Rather than fix that issue society decided to move even further in that direction.

Now we are past the point of no return.

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:07 am

I think the ability to transfer without sitting a year combined with NIL is making a joke out of college football. It's free agency without a contract. In the NFL, the teams/coaches have short term stability (3-5 yrs) and are able to plan a roster. With the free-for-all transfer portal, coaches must continually recruit the players that are already on the team (kind of like having a high-maintenance girlfriend/wife). In the current environment, smaller (budget) schools have no chance/means of competing for top-level talent. Does anyone think DeMarcus Ware would have stayed at Troy with today's NIL and transfer rules?

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:25 am

Gump, Saint and ‘86 are all exactly right!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:34 am

Appst86 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:07 am
I think the ability to transfer without sitting a year combined with NIL is making a joke out of college football. It's free agency without a contract. In the NFL, the teams/coaches have short term stability (3-5 yrs) and are able to plan a roster. With the free-for-all transfer portal, coaches must continually recruit the players that are already on the team (kind of like having a high-maintenance girlfriend/wife). In the current environment, smaller (budget) schools have no chance/means of competing for top-level talent. Does anyone think DeMarcus Ware would have stayed at Troy with today's NIL and transfer rules?
I disagree about top level talent leaving for better NIL deals, because any player that leaves for money alone is not a team player. If all on your team are that selfish, you are not going to win many games. Talent is no substitute for character...

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:50 am

From what I read about 25% of all athletes in all divisions (from trading cards to advertising) have got some deal with only the elite 10% (in all sports) making coin. Really when has "smaller" schools ever competed for the elite player? Pay to play has been going on since college sports began just under the table. 98.7% athletes won't go pro. The TP is a double edge sword but I like that it gives the athlete a choice. Athletes leave for all different reasons It give the option for players to leave (bet on themselves) but there is significant data that shows the likeliness of getting another scholly is about 40%.

I'm not always as elegant on the keyboard as some but circling around to the main point - I love the NIL for the athletes and love the TP. (I will say I'm a former college athlete so I maybe biased in my thinking)

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:42 am

If on average every D1 (131) school loses 10 players per year to the portal and out of the total if 60% simply shift to another school at the same level, and a small % drop to FCS (maybe 5%??) the other 35% or so simply end up SOL. Out of those 1,300ish players how many play significant minutes at the school they are leaving- maybe half or less? It seems like it might be more of a weeding out process at times rather than a roster detriment.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:57 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:03 am
People have certainly complained about coaches salaries and college athletics becoming more professionalized.

Rather than fix that issue society decided to move even further in that direction.

Just wondering how would you "fix" coaches salaries in a free market?

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:37 am

Hopefully everyone involved can come to some kind of compromise. The NCAA money pie is large enough for all.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:03 pm

If a program like ours finds a diamond in the rough, NIL money will make it very hard to keep them on the team. On coaches salaries, the only solution would be for the university’s to say enough. That ain’t going to happen. It’s stupid money but the market and crazy rich fan’s support it.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:43 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:57 am
Saint3333 wrote:

They are university employees. Set a salary and don't allow outside money. Problem is universities would not agree. Educated does not always mean smart.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:20 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Limit the money available for those salaries.

Portion of proceeds go back into various school programs. Subsidize arts, residential halls, betterment of the entire school not just athletics.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:43 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:20 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Portion of proceeds go back into various school programs. Subsidize arts, residential halls, betterment of the entire school not just athletics.
I think most big schools do this to some level. I know UF has improved every aspect of their school to the point that they are now a top 5 public university. And they have very strong, national title contending, no revenue sports as well. That didn’t come about without football money. I can speak to the gains at UF as there are very strong family ties between my kids, wife,in-laws. Spurrier did more than just piss off the opposition, he laid the groundwork for success and funding that has seen the school itself rise to great heights. It is possible to pay a coach really well and still invest in the school, see Bama as well. Truth is that the amount of money at the biggest program is enough to fund everything.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:22 am

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:43 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

I think most big schools do this to some level. I know UF has improved every aspect of their school to the point that they are now a top 5 public university. And they have very strong, national title contending, no revenue sports as well. That didn’t come about without football money. I can speak to the gains at UF as there are very strong family ties between my kids, wife,in-laws. Spurrier did more than just piss off the opposition, he laid the groundwork for success and funding that has seen the school itself rise to great heights. It is possible to pay a coach really well and still invest in the school, see Bama as well. Truth is that the amount of money at the biggest program is enough to fund everything.
People look at college athletics and especially college football all wrong. Some people say, "If all that money that is spent on athletics was spent on academics the world would be a better place." All of your athletic programs are advertising for your college or university. Growing up in North Carolina you believe there are only four real schools in North Carolina. The reason we believe that is all about how good their basketball program is. There are some who Appalachian was the only school they applied to, but most would have rather gone to one of the four ACC schools in North Carolina.

Appalachian is a great school and has always been a great school, because of the people who started the school and the people all along the way have made it great. More people know how great it is now because of our athletics programs. Athletics is advertising for your school. You could not afford to advertise that much and get as much in return as athletics brings to your university.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:46 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:22 am
t4pizza wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:43 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

People look at college athletics and especially college football all wrong. Some people say, "If all that money that is spent on athletics was spent on academics the world would be a better place." All of your athletic programs are advertising for your college or university. Growing up in North Carolina you believe there are only four real schools in North Carolina. The reason we believe that is all about how good their basketball program is. There are some who Appalachian was the only school they applied to, but most would have rather gone to one of the four ACC schools in North Carolina.

Appalachian is a great school and has always been a great school, because of the people who started the school and the people all along the way have made it great. More people know how great it is now because of our athletics programs. Athletics is advertising for your school. You could not afford to advertise that much and get as much in return as athletics brings to your university.
Preach...and part of it is having a sold out full stadium on highlights and TV. We need to ease up on general admission pricing or we are going to have an empty stadium on TV. People want to be where people are excited and involved.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:02 pm

I wish I could agree with you on ticket pricing. But this is one of the best values in all of CFB. Season tickets are only $250 plus a donation unless you sit in the hoity-toity section. That’s about $42 a ticket. In my opinion it’s an amazing deal.

goapps

Unread post by goapps » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:47 pm

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:28 am
I don’t ever recall this much groaning when coaches salaries ballooned in the past few decades, or how conferences rake in millions/billions in tv revenue. Yet when the labor starts making a little bit of money (in the open)…
Same as it ever was.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:12 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:02 pm
I wish I could agree with you on ticket pricing. But this is one of the best values in all of CFB. Season tickets are only $250 plus a donation unless you sit in the hoity-toity section. That’s about $42 a ticket. In my opinion it’s an amazing deal.
Season tickets are a great deal. However, for those alumni with school-age kids who are active on the weekends, season tickets are not really an option. We do need to look at family-friendly options. Perhaps, you join the Yosef Club for $200-$250 and you can buy a family package for another $250 for a family of 3-6 people that includes a football game of your choice from a pool of the FCS games and a Saturday conference game like Texas State, ULM, Georgia State and post-Chadwell Coastal Carolina, a Saturday basketball game in November, December, January and February and Jr. Mountaineer membership for the kids. Include remote parking with family activities for the Football Game with AppalCart transportation to the stadium.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:29 pm

I actually have a family of four with two young kids who are also very active on the weekends. What tickets we don’t use we sell them for face value. In my opinion that’s a whole lot of ask for $250. This is a division one program it’s right on par with all the other higher tier G5 schools.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”