Best App RB Duos of All Time

AppStFan1
Posts: 3685
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 231 times
Been thanked: 739 times

Re: Best App RB Duos of All Time

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:19 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:45 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:44 pm
CornCobPipes wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:22 pm
I still stick with John Settle as the most talented single back for his era that App has ever had
Agree. Though Marcus Cox the most productive.
Played fewer games back in John's day and don't think we made the play-offs as far.
Exactly. Same can be said for KR as well. Those guys have numbers because of the system, we played more games, etc. The NFL is where the best players play and KR nor Cox made it there. Settle not only made it but was a Pro Bowler. It’s really no contest who the better player was.

Stonewall
Posts: 3423
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1775 times
Been thanked: 1538 times

Re: Best App RB Duos of All Time

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:42 pm

Scott McConnell was no slouch.

User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 11316
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Other
Location: Born: Almost Heaven
Has thanked: 3341 times
Been thanked: 1789 times

Re: Best App RB Duos of All Time

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:41 pm

I have taken my time reading thru these lists - I started tuning in to APP football around Fall of '98 when our daughter was accepted and became full-on in the Fall of '99 - her freshman year --- We have been blessed to have a stable of really good running backs during that time - I did not consider whether they went on to play in the NFL - only what I saw them do in an APP uniform ---
My favorite of all time is KRich - he got every inch he could every time he touched the ball - If it was 3rd and 4, he got 5 - if it was 4th and an inch - he got 2 inches
As for combos - I have decided on Marcus Cox and Jalin Moore
Tough decision on that however ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStFan1
Posts: 3685
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 231 times
Been thanked: 739 times

Re: Best App RB Duos of All Time

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:20 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:41 pm
I have taken my time reading thru these lists - I started tuning in to APP football around Fall of '98 when our daughter was accepted and became full-on in the Fall of '99 - her freshman year --- We have been blessed to have a stable of really good running backs during that time - I did not consider whether they went on to play in the NFL - only what I saw them do in an APP uniform ---
My favorite of all time is KRich - he got every inch he could every time he touched the ball - If it was 3rd and 4, he got 5 - if it was 4th and an inch - he got 2 inches
As for combos - I have decided on Marcus Cox and Jalin Moore
Tough decision on that however ---
If we are just talking about the best App career then yes KR or Cox could be it since they played in more games. I think people probably forget just how much more ball K Rich played than these other guys being talked about. K Rich played 56 games compared to 45 by Cox, 44 by Settle, 40 by Scott, and 42 by Jalin Moore. Evans, Peoples, and Noel are nowhere near K Rich's games played. He basically played 1 season more than Cox and Settle did so the numbers dwarf others because he got way more chances. I think people tend to pick K Rich because he played so much and our best team years were while he was in Boone. Imagine if Peoples, Evans, or Jalin Moore had been here in that era what their numbers would look like.

User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 11316
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Other
Location: Born: Almost Heaven
Has thanked: 3341 times
Been thanked: 1789 times

Re: Best App RB Duos of All Time

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:01 pm

As I said - I picked on what I saw - not numbers, not NFL, just what I saw - I realize he played more games because I was at all those post-season games - I picked him because of what I stated previously - He got every inch he could every time he touched the ball ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NewApp
Posts: 6747
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 834 times
Been thanked: 773 times
Contact:

Re: Best App RB Duos of All Time

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:12 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:19 pm
NewApp wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:45 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:44 pm
CornCobPipes wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:22 pm
I still stick with John Settle as the most talented single back for his era that App has ever had
Agree. Though Marcus Cox the most productive.
Played fewer games back in John's day and don't think we made the play-offs as far.
Exactly. Same can be said for KR as well. Those guys have numbers because of the system, we played more games, etc. The NFL is where the best players play and KR nor Cox made it there. Settle not only made it but was a Pro Bowler. It’s really no contest who the better player was.

Settle was the first undrafted rookie to gain 1,000 yards rushing. Correct me if I am wrong. My 74 year old memory is on the downslide.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppStFan1
Posts: 3685
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 231 times
Been thanked: 739 times

Re: Best App RB Duos of All Time

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:20 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:12 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:19 pm
NewApp wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:45 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:44 pm
CornCobPipes wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:22 pm
I still stick with John Settle as the most talented single back for his era that App has ever had
Agree. Though Marcus Cox the most productive.
Played fewer games back in John's day and don't think we made the play-offs as far.
Exactly. Same can be said for KR as well. Those guys have numbers because of the system, we played more games, etc. The NFL is where the best players play and KR nor Cox made it there. Settle not only made it but was a Pro Bowler. It’s really no contest who the better player was.

Settle was the first undrafted rookie to gain 1,000 yards rushing. Correct me if I am wrong. My 74 year old memory is on the downslide.
I believe that is correct. I urge anyone on this board who did not see Settle play to find a way to get some of his game tapes. Settle was an unreal talent.

NewApp
Posts: 6747
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 834 times
Been thanked: 773 times
Contact:

Re: Best App RB Duos of All Time

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:33 pm

John seldom fumbled the ball.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

ericsaid
Posts: 1407
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: Best App RB Duos of All Time

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:26 am

CornCobPipes wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:20 pm
Ignoring the stats and realizing Jalin was injured in latter part of season in 2018, the combo of Jalin Moore/ Darrynton Evans was the biggest threat IMO.
Now imagine for a second that Marcus Cox, Jalin Moore, and Evans were all running backs at the same time.

bigdaddyg
Posts: 4441
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1584 times

Re: Best App RB Duos of All Time

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:58 am

Good lists and hard to dispute any really. Different eras, different offensive approaches and lines. Lots of factors. It was said that during a time in Denver that based on the system they ran you could plug most any back in there and he would easily get 1,000 yards. I'm sure that's the case in lots of places. That being said it's hard not to put Settle and K Rich right near the top. They were absolutely phenomenal. Did we have a "stable" of backs in those days? Doesn't seem like it. Last several years we could trot out 3-4 dudes who could get good production.

Stonewall
Posts: 3423
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1775 times
Been thanked: 1538 times

Re: Best App RB Duos of All Time

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:25 pm

He made the Pro Bowl as an UDFA as I recall , which may have been a first, but yes it's been awhile.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”