Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App is a 3 pt dog to the Heels

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

App is a 3 pt dog to the Heels

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:06 pm

I just saw we are a 3 pt dog to Carolina for our home opener. That stinks but they are in business to get bets and make money.

I better put some money on my boys while the line is upside down.

AppSt94

Re: App is a 3 pt dog to the Heels

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:34 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:06 pm
I just saw we are a 3 pt dog to Carolina for our home opener. That stinks but they are in business to get bets and make money.

I better put some money on my boys while the line is upside down.
It started at 3.5 so it has come down with very early money.

I got Army +5 back in May against Coastal. It is now down to +3 in some books.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:22 am

Listened to some of mack's ACC presser - he is still blaming the media for over ranking the holes last season and they are out to regain their prestige this season - let's please start them off like VT did last season - with a BIG L
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:38 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:22 am
Listened to some of mack's ACC presser - he is still blaming the media for over ranking the holes last season and they are out to regain their prestige this season - let's please start them off like VT did last season - with a BIG L
Mack is going to play it both ways, if they are low he will claim they got no respect and if they were too high and failed to perform then they set us up and ranked us to high. :D

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:50 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:38 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mack is going to play it both ways, if they are low he will claim they got no respect and if they were too high and failed to perform then they set us up and ranked us to high. :D
It’s a double edged sword really. If Shawn came out for a Monday presser and said that we had no real shot to beat the next week’s opponent, people would be upset. Conversely, if he said we are going to matchup well and lose, people are going to be upset. Coaches know what the likely outcome is going to be based on personnel and film study.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:52 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:38 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Not that I care to give UNC-CH good comments but any good coach will play whatever side he needs to play to motivate the team. I sometimes do the same with my students and for some I'll mention a test or unit is easy to calm them down, but other times I will make it sound like what it being studied is hard and intense preparation is needed.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:18 pm

All is true - But Mack was the one who started the hype machine prior to last season - had Heisman candidate QB, returning starters, blah-blah-blah - until they started losing, then the Media had over-hyped them
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:30 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:18 pm
All is true - But Mack was the one who started the hype machine prior to last season - had Heisman candidate QB, returning starters, blah-blah-blah - until they started losing, then the Media had over-hyped them
I think that Mack is generally a pretty good guy, really good recruiter and has been a good coach- not so much of the latter now. I thought those "over-hyped" comments were a bad look. If you have a good or potentially great program the team should be able to "shut out the noise" as they always say. If the team is really buying into hype they are in trouble. Agree with you guys said, played it both ways but badly the way he went.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:45 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:30 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
I think that Mack is generally a pretty good guy, really good recruiter and has been a good coach- not so much of the latter now. I thought those "over-hyped" comments were a bad look. If you have a good or potentially great program the team should be able to "shut out the noise" as they always say. If the team is really buying into hype they are in trouble. Agree with you guys said, played it both ways but badly the way he went.
One of the disadvantages to some players making millions in college is now they are not having to play their best to fight for that big NFL money. They are already getting it. I wonder how many of these heavily hyped paid players will not have that same fight and we see some of these programs being hyped that are paying big money perhaps fall a little short. It will be an interesting dynamic to see.

I hate to say it but I expect UNC to beat us. I think it should be a close game but I think they are more focused than before and will be looking to "put us in our place". I just hope we can rattle their QB and prevent him from beating us deep.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:54 pm

Mack is doing what all coaches do. I don't mind or expect anything else from him. It is just funny to watch when they were clearly over-hyped and way over rated the last few years. What I don't like is we didn't always get the love we deserved but that is the nature of the beast and you learn to live with it. I do think we are getting about the right amount of love/ranking this year that we should. At this moment, we don't appear to be a top 25 team, especially since we got embarrassed in our bowl last year but we are capable of being at or near the top of SBC if we take care of business. To be a top 25 team we need some guys to step up and play at a high level. Based on their lack of playing time, it would be players that have not seen the field or enough playing time that would allow us to derive an opinion. That means we have no proof they are going to do anything until we see them in real games. It is pure speculation at this point.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:55 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:54 pm
Mack is doing what all coaches do. I don't mind or expect anything else from him. It is just funny to watch when they were clearly over-hyped and way over rated the last few years. What I don't like is we didn't always get the love we deserved but that is the nature of the beast and you learn to live with it.

I do think we are getting about the right amount of love/ranking this year that we should. At this moment, we don't appear to be a top 25 team, especially since we got embarrassed in our bowl last year but we are capable of being at or near the top of SBC if we take care of business. To be a top 25 team we need some guys to step up and play at a high level. Based on their lack of playing time, it would be players that have not seen the field or enough playing time that would allow us to derive an opinion. That means we have no proof they are going to do anything until we see them in real games. It is pure speculation at this point.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:55 pm

Mack is doing what all coaches do. I don't mind or expect anything else from him. It is just funny to watch when they were clearly over-hyped and way over rated the last few years. What I don't like is we didn't always get the love we deserved but that is the nature of the beast and you learn to live with it.

I do think we are getting about the right amount of love/ranking this year that we should. At this moment, we don't appear to be a top 25 team, especially since we couldn't match ULL and got embarrassed in our bowl last year but we are capable of being at or near the top of SBC if we take care of business. To be a top 25 team we need some guys to step up and play at a high level. Based on their lack of playing time, it would be players that have not seen the field or enough playing time that would allow us to derive an opinion. That means we have no proof they are going to do anything until we see them in real games. It is pure speculation at this point.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:35 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:45 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
One of the disadvantages to some players making millions in college is now they are not having to play their best to fight for that big NFL money. They are already getting it. I wonder how many of these heavily hyped paid players will not have that same fight and we see some of these programs being hyped that are paying big money perhaps fall a little short. It will be an interesting dynamic to see.

I hate to say it but I expect UNC to beat us. I think it should be a close game but I think they are more focused than before and will be looking to "put us in our place". I just hope we can rattle their QB and prevent him from beating us deep.

I too think the Heels may get us this time...but it will not surprise me if we win. Demetrius Taylor had an incredible day against the Heels...if we can get pressure on their quarterback and a turnover or two, I think we win. IF NOT...I don't know. They have some fast receivers against our new D Backs. I do think we will score on them but we have to find away to stop their receivers.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:45 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:55 pm

I do think we are getting about the right amount of love/ranking this year that we should. At this moment, we don't appear to be a top 25 team, especially since we couldn't match ULL and got embarrassed in our bowl last year but we are capable of being at or near the top of SBC if we take care of business. To be a top 25 team we need some guys to step up and play at a high level. Based on their lack of playing time, it would be players that have not seen the field or enough playing time that would allow us to derive an opinion. That means we have no proof they are going to do anything until we see them in real games. It is pure speculation at this point.
I would apply the same logic to Coastal. McCall lost all of his weapons at WR and they are replacing 9 guys on defense, but he is the preseason COPY and they are picked to finish second.

Mark it down: He won’t be postseason 1st Team.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:57 pm

This game could easily go either way. Both teams have pretty significant question marks. UNC is playing with a brand new QB though and that is pretty huge. App has an all new WR corps and a largely re-built defensive secondary. I take a lot of confidence in our WR Corps from the fact that Brice is returning. He practices with these guys and I think he feels very confident in the talent of these young receivers. On the Defensive side, App has a history of plugging in new talent and continuing to compete at a high level. That bowl game leaves a really bad taste in my mouth though, so I want to believe but I don't think I will feel comfortable about the rebuilt D until I see them kicking some butt. I just hope that butt is wearing baby blue!

PROUD TO BE A MOUNTAINEER!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:00 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:45 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:55 pm

I would apply the same logic to Coastal. McCall lost all of his weapons at WR and they are replacing 9 guys on defense, but he is the preseason COPY and they are picked to finish second.

Mark it down: He won’t be postseason 1st Team.
I can see why you feel that way but we don't know how good their WR replacements are. If he has good ones in waiting at WR and TE then he could have another huge year but we just don't know. Their defense is a huge question mark.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:03 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:35 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:45 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

I too think the Heels may get us this time...but it will not surprise me if we win. Demetrius Taylor had an incredible day against the Heels...if we can get pressure on their quarterback and a turnover or two, I think we win. IF NOT...I don't know. They have some fast receivers against our new D Backs. I do think we will score on them but we have to find away to stop their receivers.
I will be curious to see what happens if we can somehow get an early lead. I would love to see how both teams respond if somehow we can get up with an early breakout run by Cam or Nate to score and maybe a creative TD pass to one of the new faces. This year is Brice's chance to show he has become worthy of a NFL shot with 2 big P5 games.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:59 pm

Honestly I’m not seeing the UNC is gonna get us because they care this time around. They went 6-7 last year with their all world quarterback and plenty of talent. It’s such a cop out to some how say they just weren’t trying that hard. The same goes for the 2019 game. They wanted to win just as much as we did. We just made more plays. I get so tired of the “well we weren’t trying that hard” excuse. Plus both teams have many new faces this year. I’m not buying this as a revenge game for this UNC team. Anything can happen obviously, but I feel this is a true pick ‘em game and their quarterback should be uncomfortable all day. Our major concern is Brice not turning the ball over at inopportune times.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:39 pm

It’s a pick ‘em game for me. UNC will be playing their second game, but App is playing at home. It’s a toss up and should be a good one. Go Apps!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:01 pm

There is a benefit for them having a tune up game the week before. On the other hand they will not have seen any film on us this year.

I like our odds. I think our key to game is whether we get pressure on their QB. Force him to make it plays.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”