Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Season Tix Sold Out

AppWyo
School: Appalachian State

Re: Season Tix Sold Out

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:28 am

AppOrange wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:35 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:42 pm
I actually don't mind the Student Yosef Club gets first dibs idea at all. I figure the school set aside 10k student seats and if we get all 10k to pony up $50 that is a cool $500,000. Now, I doubt that many students will join and for those that don't the lottery is the only way to fairly allocate student seats. Anyone who didn't think a lottery would happen for this game didn't think about the logistics. There are 18,555 undergraduate students, there is no way the school could reserve that many seats for any student that wanted to show up, if they did only about 8-9000 seat tickets could have been sold and with 5000 going to UNC that means only 3000 App State non-student fans could attend. Considering how many alums and posters on here have been clamoring for tickets since this game was announced, I seriously doubt any of you would be happy not being about to go so that every student could attend. The lottery system is a necessity for this game and hopefully the benefit of the Student Yosef Club getting assured tickets will get the numbers up dramatically.
Exactly! Be great if we had 45k seats for this one but we don’t so they are planning as best they can.
This is a nice problem to have and I believe that Appalachian is doing the best that it can to accommodate its students.
Most universities do not cater to its students like Appalachian does. Think how many universities do not allow their students to have a car anywhere on campus as a freshman. The students are what helps to fill the stands during those midweek games. So it is actually in the university's best interest to help the students as much as possible. Think about how many times you talked to people that went to other schools how hard it was for them to attend any sporting events. Appalachian on the other hand has always made sure that students were able to attend whatever sporting event they wanted to with little hassle. When App went to Charlotte, the students were not allowed access to the game, because they thought too many Appalachian fans would get all the tickets.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:19 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:09 pm
Folks this is a simple issue of supply and demand. There is no way any game can accommodate EVERY student and the remaining season ticket holders at once. The stadium just isn’t that big. Something has to give.
I don't disagree with you, but I go back to the fee paid by the students. If it guarantees them admission, then what has to give is non-student attendance. The students are the reason for the school to exist. They cannot be guaranteed something and then have it taken because someone planned poorly or got greedy.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:24 am

Seems to me we are skirting the real issue. In reality students paid for their ticket before any of us. They should be accommodated first, period.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:28 am

appst89 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:19 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:09 pm
Folks this is a simple issue of supply and demand. There is no way any game can accommodate EVERY student and the remaining season ticket holders at once. The stadium just isn’t that big. Something has to give.
I don't disagree with you, but I go back to the fee paid by the students. If it guarantees them admission, then what has to give is non-student attendance. The students are the reason for the school to exist. They cannot be guaranteed something and then have it taken because someone planned poorly or got greedy.
Not arguing, but is their something written somewhere that guarantees entrance to any and every sporting event? I think that's mostly an assumption. Pretty sure every school puts this fee into the tuition, but very few allow all students into each and every game.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:31 am

If that is the case, then set aside 20,000 seats each game as there is the possibility that they may show up at a game.

I am curious, does the policy actually state that App. St. "guarantees" students a ticket to the game...or is this the first time this has occurred.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:34 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:31 am
If that is the case, then set aside 20,000 seats each game as there is the possibility that they may show up at a game.

I am curious, does the policy actually state that App. St. "guarantees" students a ticket to the game...or is this the first time this has occurred.
That's my question. When I was in school a hundred years ago it said that we were guaranteed entrance to every athletic event. I want to know if that wording has changed.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:47 am

The temp bleachers under the NEZ are to accommodate Carolina, as I was told.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:49 am

appst89 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:34 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:31 am

That's my question. When I was in school a hundred years ago it said that we were guaranteed entrance to every athletic event. I want to know if that wording has changed.
If the policy does say guarantee, then optics wise, it is not a good look. However, if it does not state the guarantee, we are like every other college in that there is a limited amount for entry for students.
App. St. football stadium is no different than any other stadium in that we do not have unlimited capacity for the stadium.
Hypothetically, for Coastal game.last year on weekday night when most students in town....if a majority of students decided to show up, would they have had to turn students away at the gate? Who nows the answer. . I would assume so due to fire code issues. My opinion is that would have been a worse look (turning students away at the gate) as compared to the athletics department trying to get ahead of this potential issue of not allowing all students to be able to try enter the game at the gate on Gameday.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:59 am

appst89 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:52 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:46 pm
Exactly how many students go to an average game now?
Don’t take this as a smart ass reply because it truly isn’t meant to be, but that really isn’t relevant. If the athletic fee guarantees them entry then how many usually go doesn’t matter. If the fee has changed so that entry isn’t guaranteed then it’s a different story. But I still think it’s a really bad look to turn away students.
All fair points. And not to be a smart ass back, but to who, outside of this board is going to find this to be a bad look? We are talking about one monumental game that has put tighter constraints on resources than a Mark Hudspeth’s Shmedium coaches shirt.

Yes, will there be a Karen who gets pi$$y because her little Susie, who never attends games, couldn’t get in. Apparently, students were able to get guest tickets for games. How many did that? Those seats are now going to be occupied by App students.

It’s one game and not a policy change. I don't feel like this was some motivational tactic to grab more money. Now if the students don’t have the entire bottom section, other than the band, then there is a legit gripe.

appstate5

Unread post by appstate5 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:06 am

So explain this to me, we only have 5,000 seats for students? What if 6,000 join the SYC expecting a seat? Now, that will make some parents IRATE!! Guess if my kids don't get a ticket I will be giving them ours and I will be missing the game WHICH REALLY TICKS ME OFF! This is my 4th year as a season ticket holder and I've been looking forward to this game ever since it was announced because I am as ANTI-UNcheat as a person can get.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:12 am

appstate5 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:06 am
So explain this to me, we only have 5,000 seats for students? What if 6,000 join the SYC expecting a seat? Now, that will make some parents IRATE!! Guess if my kids don't get a ticket I will be giving them ours and I will be missing the game WHICH REALLY TICKS ME OFF! This is my 4th year as a season ticket holder and I've been looking forward to this game ever since it was announced because I am as ANTI-UNcheat as a person can get.
Given the SYC only has about 1,000 members now, I can’t see that type of increase happening.

Why would you give your tickets to your kids and why would a voluntary action “tick you off”?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:14 am

Guys and gals. Let’s take a moment to catch our breath and wait for there to be an actual problem before we get upset. Not one student that wants to go has been turned away yet.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:30 am

Just throwing my experience into the mix.

I went to grad school at NC State. We were not at all guaranteed tickets to a UNC vs. State or Duke vs. State basketball game, or any football game for that matter. There was a lottery system based essentially on priority points (seniors had priority over sophomores, etc.). I also paid the athletic fees and this was just an accepted fact.

I know there was a comment last night as I was scrolling this thread that we are App State and we are different and it doesn't matter what other schools do (I would quote it but I'm not going back at this point). I agree with this point, but at some point we do have to consider these kinds of systems due to our growth.

As others have said, nobody has been turned away yet and maybe we luck out and nobody gets turned away, but these constraints are inevitable with growth. Now, if it says in the 2022 policy that they are guaranteed admission to every sporting event with the payment of an athletic fee, THAT is definitely a bad look and needs to be rectified, but I haven't seen any proof of that yet.

appstate5

Unread post by appstate5 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:32 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:12 am
appstate5 wrote:
Given the SYC only has about 1,000 members now, I can’t see that type of increase happening.

Why would you give your tickets to your kids and why would a voluntary action “tick you off”?
I've already heard of kids joining since the announcement, don't be surprised what the final number will be. What if a group of best friends, 6-8 want to go and 1 of the kids doesn't get a ticket via the lottery? That was the first thing my boys said this morning, afraid one in their group wouldn't get selected. My boys will be seniors, they haven't missed a game and are big fans...but so am I and like I said I've had this game penciled on the calendar for years. I would be ticked off because in reality I have already paid for their tickets with tuition.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:54 am

appstate5 wrote:
With the temp seating, hill and loop standing room only general admission, we should have room for 10,000 or more perhaps.

This is an "opportunity" to grow the Yosef Club and to raise $500,000. Another way to look at it is a $50 fee to insure that you get to go to the game.
Last edited by HighlandsApp on Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:56 am

Looked at the school's website. The tuition and fees page makes no reference to admission to athletic events. The following blurb is located on the athletics website. It doesn't say the word guarantee, but certainly implies it.

Appalachian State Athletics charges admission for football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball and wrestling. All other sporting events are free of charge and open to the public. Currently enrolled students receive complimentary tickets, and need to print their tickets for football and men's basketball games.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:05 am

appstate5 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:32 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:12 am
appstate5 wrote:

I've already heard of kids joining since the announcement, don't be surprised what the final number will be. What if a group of best friends, 6-8 want to go and 1 of the kids doesn't get a ticket via the lottery? That was the first thing my boys said this morning, afraid one in their group wouldn't get selected. My boys will be seniors, they haven't missed a game and are big fans...but so am I and like I said I've had this game penciled on the calendar for years. I would be ticked off because in reality I have already paid for their tickets with tuition.
Please don’t be offended by this as I understand your point as a parent. But all of this “what if” stuff hasn’t happened and should it; it’s a life lesson that sometimes life sucks. I get that it’s an important game as a fan but it is still a game. Yes, your tuition payment covers sporting event access. That hasn’t changed for 99.5% of the other event throughout the year but you are a) focusing on the .5% and b) you are putting all your energy into something that hasn’t happened yet.

Aside from that, has your son joined the SYC? If not, why?

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:20 am

Anger about students not getting a ticket is unwarranted. If you want to be angry about a new fee then you can be.

Here is the current Student YOSEF info:

Student Yosef Club
The Student Yosef Club is a membership-based booster organization whose mission is to support App State student-athletes, maintain an electric game day atmosphere and fuel the Mountaineer spirit.

1-Year Membership: $50
4-Year Membership: $150

2022-23 Student Yosef Club Benefits:

Guaranteed Tickets to ALL App State Athletics Events
​​​​15 minutes Early Admission to Football & Basketball Home Games
Reserved Student Section (mid-field sections)
Exclusive T-Shirt and Membership Sticker
Special Event Invites
Giveaways and Prizes
Build Priority Points as a Student

Here's the link to sign up:
https://appstatesports.evenue.net/www/e ... -athletics

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:27 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:20 am
Anger about students not getting a ticket is unwarranted. If you want to be angry about a new fee then you can be.

Here is the current Student YOSEF info:

Student Yosef Club
The Student Yosef Club is a membership-based booster organization whose mission is to support App State student-athletes, maintain an electric game day atmosphere and fuel the Mountaineer spirit.

1-Year Membership: $50
4-Year Membership: $150

2022-23 Student Yosef Club Benefits:

Guaranteed Tickets to ALL App State Athletics Events
​​​​15 minutes Early Admission to Football & Basketball Home Games
Reserved Student Section (mid-field sections)
Exclusive T-Shirt and Membership Sticker
Special Event Invites
Giveaways and Prizes
Build Priority Points as a Student

Here's the link to sign up:
https://appstatesports.evenue.net/www/e ... -athletics
And that 4 year fee of $150 was $85 last year.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:32 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:20 am
Anger about students not getting a ticket is unwarranted.
Based on what is posted on the athletics website, I can't agree with that. I guess I'm being nitpicky, but I work in an environment where words mean something and if you put something in writing, it better say what you mean it to say.

I think this is just another in a growing list of poorly communicated or poorly executed initiatives by the athletic department.

As '94 said though, it is just a football game and nobody will suffer irreparably from not going.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”