Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Season Tix Sold Out

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Season Tix Sold Out

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:51 am

appstate5 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:34 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:05 am
appstate5 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:32 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:12 am
appstate5 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:06 am
So explain this to me, we only have 5,000 seats for students? What if 6,000 join the SYC expecting a seat? Now, that will make some parents IRATE!! Guess if my kids don't get a ticket I will be giving them ours and I will be missing the game WHICH REALLY TICKS ME OFF! This is my 4th year as a season ticket holder and I've been looking forward to this game ever since it was announced because I am as ANTI-UNcheat as a person can get.
Given the SYC only has about 1,000 members now, I can’t see that type of increase happening.

Why would you give your tickets to your kids and why would a voluntary action “tick you off”?
I've already heard of kids joining since the announcement, don't be surprised what the final number will be. What if a group of best friends, 6-8 want to go and 1 of the kids doesn't get a ticket via the lottery? That was the first thing my boys said this morning, afraid one in their group wouldn't get selected. My boys will be seniors, they haven't missed a game and are big fans...but so am I and like I said I've had this game penciled on the calendar for years. I would be ticked off because in reality I have already paid for their tickets with tuition.
Please don’t be offended by this as I understand your point as a parent. But all of this “what if” stuff hasn’t happened and should it; it’s a life lesson that sometimes life sucks. I get that it’s an important game as a fan but it is still a game. Yes, your tuition payment covers sporting event access. That hasn’t changed for 99.5% of the other event throughout the year but you are a) focusing on the .5% and b) you are putting all your energy into something that hasn’t happened yet.

Aside from that, has your son joined the SYC? If not, why?
My son(s) have not joined SYC because there was no real reason too. And $50 is a lot to a college student making $7.50 an hour. It's a shame my two tickets as a season ticket holder basically cost $35 each for the UNC game yet we are asking college students with limited income to pay $50 for the same game.
No one is asking them too. It was simply communicated that paying to join SYC assured entry. If they don’t, or can’t afford to join, then hoping to win the lottery is an assumed risk being taken by the affected. I am sorry that this has caused so much angst and anger for you and your boys. It just seems that there is a solution and it’s being ignored or discounted. Either way, it doesn’t sound like your sons are planning to join YC upon graduation.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:52 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:46 am
Isn't the student YC $50 for all home games, not just UNC game..so less than $10 per game. So they get perks all season
Not only that, but it helps build up priority points in YC.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:54 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:45 am
appst89 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:32 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:08 am
appst89 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:03 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:56 am

Not to pushback but the website speaks to “normal” bau. This is a one-off situation that requires a different set of rules. Those rules, in my opinion, were clearly communicated with the situation and offered solutions to mitigate exclusion.
But it doesn't say that. Again, communication is essential, and we do it very poorly. If there are going to be exceptions, then that should be stated. I understand all the issues with capacity and this being an unusual situation and all of that. Maybe someone learns something from it. I hope so.
I think that we can all agree that the words poorly and communicated are synonymous with our athletic department. Indulge me on how you would of communicated the information.
It’s pretty simple. Just add a sentence to that blurb that says, “Student attendance subject to event demand and venue capacity.”
We can certainly agree on one thing. You are being nit picky. :D

While those words aren’t specifically in the communication, it lays out the intent to get as many in as possible and clearly lays out how the student can ensure they don’t get left out.

I think a great deal of hand-wringing over this are assumptions and that the school needs to held completely accountable in getting the students in. It sounds like if you are a student and want in you can join the SYC. If you don’t want to, then you HAVE to register for the lottery which is a chance that they are willing to take. I doubt the 10,000 or so students that don’t go to games any other time will care enough to register.

As stated before, the statement regarding supply and demand doesn’t apply very often. My guess is that the last time it was an issue was when the Tar Heels came to Holmes. Did every student get into that game that wanted to go? How did the school handle that one?
I don’t deny being nit-picky, but I believe words have meaning and communication is important. All of this discussion and hand-wringing could have been avoided if someone had taken five minutes and made sure that the communication said what they intended for it to say. I’m not going to apologize for expecting a minimal level of clarity in communication. If the SYC is a requirement to get in then the athletic website needs to say that. Again I say, if they would take a little time to ensure clear communication all of these discussions would go away.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:04 pm

“If the SYC is a requirement to get in then the athletic website needs to say that.”

That isn’t what it says and that’s not how it reads. It is being suggested that joining SYC is the most effective method to assure admission. And again, this is an extreme one off situation that requires a hardline stance. There is no reason to reinvent the policy wheel for one event.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:06 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:51 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:44 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:27 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:20 am
Anger about students not getting a ticket is unwarranted. If you want to be angry about a new fee then you can be.

Here is the current Student YOSEF info:

Student Yosef Club
The Student Yosef Club is a membership-based booster organization whose mission is to support App State student-athletes, maintain an electric game day atmosphere and fuel the Mountaineer spirit.

1-Year Membership: $50
4-Year Membership: $150

2022-23 Student Yosef Club Benefits:

Guaranteed Tickets to ALL App State Athletics Events
​​​​15 minutes Early Admission to Football & Basketball Home Games
Reserved Student Section (mid-field sections)
Exclusive T-Shirt and Membership Sticker
Special Event Invites
Giveaways and Prizes
Build Priority Points as a Student

Here's the link to sign up:
https://appstatesports.evenue.net/www/e ... -athletics
And that 4 year fee of $150 was $85 last year.
Student fees total almost $25 MILLION per athletic year.

And yes the fees previously were $25 per year or $85 for four years. So this is a money grab and will also be a way to know exactly how many people will be at the game and whether and general admission tickets can be sold.

If the student YOSEF Club has had about a 1000 members previously then it raised about $25,000 per year. This year it will raise perhaps $500k.
Just wondering do schools like Alabama, Ohio State, etc (more money than god) still charge student fees like App does? Certainly they don't need to. Theoretically if someone made a $25m donation to App that covers the annual fees would the school still assess them? I'm guessing yes. We would just have more money to spend.
in NC both UNCCH and NCSU do although they are a fraction of every other UNC school.

Here is chart for every UNC school for this year:

https://www.northcarolina.edu/wp-conten ... ees-ug.pdf

Keep in mind that the "Debt Service Fee" for AppState is mostly for athletic facilities so it isn't exactly clear cut to only look at the athletic fee column in this matrix.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:53 pm

We have 20k students and a ~25,000 seat stadium. I'm no stan of the Yosef/ticket office staff and I can't think of anything more reasonable than giving priority access to students who join the super important transitional booster program for a lousy 50 bucks. If Yosef club and SYC were emphasized decades ago instead on ~2010 maybe we'd have a 40,000 seat stadium for this game and wouldn't have to make these tough decisions.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:24 pm

So far no one has provided any language from the university that “absolutely guarantees” a regular/non-SYC member admission to every athletic event. This is probably because it is common logic that the school could NOT make that guarantee because all venues other than football CANNOT accommodate the entire student body in a single event anyway. Therefore I think it was understood (without saying it explicitly) that any statement saying the student will be admitted would also be constrained by some reasonable capacity limitation. I think some of you are making a bigger deal out of this than you should.

In the future the university can clear this up as stated above with some simple language additions but for now we have to use reason.

A2534

Unread post by A2534 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:51 pm

Great points from both sides. My hope is we have this huge problem (sarcasm) for more than just a single game! If students get turned away from this game it will be a learning opportunity on how it could possibly be handled better in the future. I personally don't have a more equitable suggestion. Unfortunately its the way life works, the students with an extra $50 (earned or gifted from parents) will get to see the game and some others may not. Most of us have limited financial resources so we have to decide how they are allocated. Do we spend $50 to see the game or buy a few cases of beer and just tailgate? Also no different than GA tix. People who can pay $150+ for a ticket will be there, as mentioned on the board, others will stay home. Here's hoping for great weather on game day and all students that want to see the game are admitted! Cheers!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:04 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:24 pm
So far no one has provided any language from the university that “absolutely guarantees” a regular/non-SYC member admission to every athletic event. This is probably because it is common logic that the school could NOT make that guarantee because all venues other than football CANNOT accommodate the entire student body in a single event anyway. Therefore I think it was understood (without saying it explicitly) that any statement saying the student will be admitted would also be constrained by some reasonable capacity limitation. I think some of you are making a bigger deal out of this than you should.

In the future the university can clear this up as stated above with some simple language additions but for now we have to use reason.
All I found on the school’s website was that tickets are “complimentary”. That’s not the same as guaranteed, in my opinion.

wb247

Unread post by wb247 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:15 pm

AppSt94 wrote:

As stated before, the statement regarding supply and demand doesn’t apply very often. My guess is that the last time it was an issue was when the Tar Heels came to Holmes. Did every student get into that game that wanted to go? How did the school handle that one?
Had to join mountaineer maniacs.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:18 pm

Say what you want. Try and put bow on a pig. It’s a bad thing. Start this next year if if its so important. Don’t change the rules at halftime.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:48 pm

It is not halftime, the game hasn't even started. The school announced this well prior to the start of the academic year. I actually think this is advanced timing for App, most the time it seems the last minute when the spring news on us. This news is being given to all students with plenty enough time to make proper arrangements.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:51 pm

Making mountains out of mole hills.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:37 pm

Sure seems like a bunch of upper level Yosef Club members bought tickets to resell for profit if you visit ticket reseller sites....

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:46 pm

pop5app wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:18 pm
Say what you want. Try and put bow on a pig. It’s a bad thing. Start this next year if if its so important. Don’t change the rules at halftime.
This series was scheduled in 2017

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:55 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:46 pm
pop5app wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:18 pm
This series was scheduled in 2017
So, that means , what?

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:07 pm

Athletic Fee - Athletics fee revenues provide funds for intercollegiate athletic programs and for the maintenance and operation of athletic facilities. This fee provides operating support for the university’s athletic department and programs. The marching band fee of $5 is also included here. This provides support for equipment and uniform purchases.

i don’t see any language about guaranteed attendee for events in my research

https://studentaccounts.appstate.edu/si ... update.pdf.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:39 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:32 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:08 am
appst89 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:03 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:56 am

Not to pushback but the website speaks to “normal” bau. This is a one-off situation that requires a different set of rules. Those rules, in my opinion, were clearly communicated with the situation and offered solutions to mitigate exclusion.
But it doesn't say that. Again, communication is essential, and we do it very poorly. If there are going to be exceptions, then that should be stated. I understand all the issues with capacity and this being an unusual situation and all of that. Maybe someone learns something from it. I hope so.
I think that we can all agree that the words poorly and communicated are synonymous with our athletic department. Indulge me on how you would of communicated the information.
It’s pretty simple. Just add a sentence to that blurb that says, “Student attendance subject to event demand and venue capacity.”
We can certainly agree on one thing. You are being nit picky. :D

While those words aren’t specifically in the communication, it lays out the intent to get as many in as possible and clearly lays out how the student can ensure they don’t get left out.

I think a great deal of hand-wringing over this are assumptions and that the school needs to held completely accountable in getting the students in. It sounds like if you are a student and want in you can join the SYC. If you don’t want to, then you HAVE to register for the lottery which is a chance that they are willing to take. I doubt the 10,000 or so students that don’t go to games any other time will care enough to register.

I was just about to point out the UNC game to open the Holmes Center. That was my Freshman year and there was a limited number available. It was first come first serve on a specific day to get them. Each student could get one ticket until the allotment was gone.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:33 am

bcoach wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:22 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:00 am
bcoach wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:22 am
All I know is that if I had to trade all the other games to make sure I didn't miss Robert Morris I .............. I'm sorry, how the heck did this happen?
We had a regularly scheduled game with Marshall already on the docket. Then they joined conference so said scheduled game is now a conference game. We needed an OOC conference at the last second. Not too many options.
I know. It is just so very sad to have not only two FCS teams on the schedule in the same season but one that just nobody has ever heard of. Seems something better could have been worked out, but it is what it is.
Bcoach, I get what you're saying about having two FCS teams, but I just can't agree in this situation. Given the last minute changes required because of the conference additions and the end result being probably the best schedule ever for App State Football (just my personal opinion), I just don't see anything sad about this year's schedule.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:33 am

The trade off was to have one less game.We tried to fill week zero as Chapel Hill did , but no takers.Bobby Morris "was best available".If you have better ideas or ways of doing things talk to Doug Gillin .

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”