Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Concessions

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: Concessions

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:20 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:01 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:38 am
We could set up a separate area just for texted orders. Use the old rec center at the top of the hill at least for the east side and there is the one access gate even for the top level to avoid the walking down the hill to turn around and walk up steps. Items could be bottled drinks and limited food items that do not need refrigeration if that is an issue.

I am not sure how much space is open on the west side building but set aside an area for storage of drinks and snacks that is not tied to a concession stand.

The NEZ seems to have some space as well to store a few items to sell to those seats

This need not be the only method of selling concessions. Attendees can still walk themselves for items not be sold via text. This could take a little pressure off the concession stand lines.

Make a contest for a student to write a script to send a text for the number in the queue and cancel the order if the wait is too long. After collecting a bit of data over a few games one could even give an approximate wait time.

There are a lot of things that could keep this from working but it would solve some problems as well, if we can get it to work, and with good ol' Appalachian know-how and I bet some CS majors and some hospitality majors could come up with some answers along with the professors.
All reasonable suggestions with one possible hurdle. It would cost a fortune to update the Wi-Fi in KBS to make texting orders remotely efficient. I liked how Louisiana has there set up. Concessions are in the open air to allow you to watch the game while in line. I would consider transforming the restrooms behind Miller Hill, (Cline Hill once the concrete is poured) into concession area. Larger walkways and you can see the game from the line.
It would need to have an investment from Carolina West Wireless or some other company that would want to make the upgrades for some PR/ad exposure. I agree the current setup is not feasible. That is not automatic and done quickly, but that is also, as far as I know, something that would NOT be an impossible hurdle and rather minor in the whole scheme of things. Having decent wireless/texting should be the goal just as part of providing a modern experience and if this is a manner to get that done at not cost to the university then all the better, or possibly revenue positive with sponsorship dollars and rental revenue by using existing ASU buildings and structures.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:07 am

[/quote]

Not Cline Hill...Bleacher Hill.
[/quote]
I would be happy to have a trash can named after me on the campus. Don't disclaim this recognition NewApp. :D

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:07 am

Next time, I'm up there, I will have had a sticker made that says McLeansvilleAppFan or your true name and slap it on a trash can in the stadium. :)
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:20 am

NewApp wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:07 am
Next time, I'm up there, I will have had a sticker made that says McLeansvilleAppFan or your true name and slap it on a trash can in the stadium. :)
We all know that you are too cheap to make a sticker.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:57 am

NewApp wrote:
Seriously, I would pay a few hundred dollars to have my name something like this, though I would prefer a recycling bin over a trash can. One of the "No Trash recycling bins" used at KBS would be perfect.

Some years ago I was hanging in Belk Library before a football game, because I am who I am and there I was enjoying time in the library, and a family was having their picture taken in front of a study room. That was, I assume a few thousand dollar donation, maybe $5,000-$10,000. That is a bit more than I can afford right now but I would be happy to have my name on something smaller the campus needs.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:36 am

Do the entry gates have name other than a direction (north, south) or number....maybe you could make a donation..McLeansville Entrance.

Not sure it would be a good idea for my family. The Batchelor entrance.. People may think they are entering an event unrelated to football. 🤣
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:45 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:36 am
Do the entry gates have name other than a direction (north, south) or number....maybe you could make a donation..McLeansville Entrance.

Not sure it would be a good idea for my family. The Batchelor entrance.. People may think they are entering an event unrelated to football. 🤣
The east entrance has a name over the entrance gate, or at least it did the last time I went through that gate. We have the Shelco East Gate and Echota West Gate but the Northeast Gate is unnamed. Maybe I can purchase two letters right now and call it the MF Gate and make GaSo fans only use that gate.

Seriously I am guessing those gates are $10,000 or $20,000 donations and that might be for a limited number of years maybe 5 or 10 years.

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:17 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:36 am

Not sure mine would be appreciated either. The White Entrance. 😳

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:39 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:20 am
NewApp wrote:

Cheap? Bull shit. I am on a fixed income retirement and Social Security. In addition, I am raising a 16 year old since he was 6 months old who is no blood relation to me. KMA.
Google SUX

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:16 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:39 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Cheap? Bull shit. I am on a fixed income retirement and Social Security. In addition, I am raising a 16 year old since he was 6 months old who is no blood relation to me. KMA.
Did Google tell you want KMA means?

Also, kudos to you for taking on the role of guardian for a kid that seemingly needed it!

I give you a hard time in here (and, you deserve it) but I truly just don't think you mean to be the way you come off on here. You seem to be a good guy that just gets a little too offended over nothing on a message board.

Keep up the good work with that boy!
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:58 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:16 pm
NewApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Also, kudos to you for taking on the role of guardian for a kid that seemingly needed it!

I give you a hard time in here (and, you deserve it) but I truly just don't think you mean to be the way you come off on here. You seem to be a good guy that just gets a little too offended over nothing on a message board.

NewApp deserves kudos for helping keep an young man out of a group home. And I know he has mentioned over the years trying to get him up to some App football games so I can't fault him for that.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:48 pm

NewApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
NewApp wrote:

A few things.

1) What you are doing raising a child on a fixed income is admirable.

2) You love to play this fixed income, raising a child card whenever you get backed in the corner. You are a good person, but not a martyr.

3) Finally, as your signature says, “if you can’t take it, don’t dish it out.”

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:12 am

AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
NewApp wrote:

KMA = Kindly Move Aside.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:19 am

Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:57 am
NewApp wrote:
Seriously, I would pay a few hundred dollars to have my name something like this, though I would prefer a recycling bin over a trash can. One of the "No Trash recycling bins" used at KBS would be perfect.

Some years ago I was hanging in Belk Library before a football game, because I am who I am and there I was enjoying time in the library, and a family was having their picture taken in front of a study room. That was, I assume a few thousand dollar donation, maybe $5,000-$10,000. That is a bit more than I can afford right now but I would be happy to have my name on something smaller the campus needs.
You can paint your name among the graffiti in the tunnel anytime you like. :)
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:22 am

Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:58 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
NewApp wrote:

NewApp deserves kudos for helping keep an young man out of a group home. And I know he has mentioned over the years trying to get him up to some App football games so I can't fault him for that.

Robert has accompanied me to at least 20 App Home games (going back to when he was barely one year old) as well as a couple away games including the one Daphne gave us tickets for for the Elon game at Elon. He would not be in a group home.
Google SUX

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:43 am

NewApp wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:22 am
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:58 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Robert has accompanied me to at least 20 App Home games (going back to when he was barely one year old) as well as a couple away games including the one Daphne gave us tickets for for the Elon game at Elon. He would not be in a group home.
Awesome! My ex wanted to put our son, now 11 with CP in a group home. No way, ain't happening. Daphne gave us a hand as well.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:39 am

NewApp wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:22 am
He would not be in a group home.
[/quote]
So it sounds like he has others around him and you that can and do provide some help. I thought you may have been the ONLY person that was stepping in and up to help.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:12 pm

Back to topic: I noticed in '19 Carolina has an effective system. Have RTE food set up on a cafeteria line. You pick what you want and pay for it at the end of the line. Their concessions lines were not difficult to get through.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:52 pm

The problem is labor shortage and that's not something that's going away. I'd stick a water vending machine in every spare open space if you can get them.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:58 pm

mike87 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:52 pm
The problem is labor shortage and that's not something that's going away. I'd stick a water vending machine in every spare open space if you can get them.
They a pool of 20k students at App, it is very hard for me to believe they can't get enough "labor" out of that supply to work 6-7 home football games. Somebody isn't being creative enough if you ask me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”