Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Concessions

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Concessions

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:16 pm

I attended the Asheville Tourists baseball game last Friday. They have a manner to text an order for concessions. I did not take advantage of this but it seemed to work pretty well. There are some technological needs that would have to be set up and there is a big difference between 4,000 in a stadium versus 28,000 but something that I found interesting for a stadium that does not have lots of space for concessions.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appdaze

Re: Concessions

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:19 pm

I'd pay an extra $10 on my order if someone delivered my order to the end of my row. I'd pay a yosef club subscription service for a season of food delivery.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:45 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:16 pm
I attended the Asheville Tourists baseball game last Friday. They have a manner to text an order for concessions. I did not take advantage of this but it seemed to work pretty well. There are some technological needs that would have to be set up and there is a big difference between 4,000 in a stadium versus 28,000 but something that I found interesting for a stadium that does not have lots of space for concessions.
Problem is KBS gets TERRIBLE cell service during games. They need to implement/upgrade wifi within KBS. Season ticket holders get priority connections. Concessions have their own connection so anybody can get to that.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:24 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:45 pm
Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:16 pm
Problem is KBS gets TERRIBLE cell service during games. They need to implement/upgrade wifi within KBS. Season ticket holders get priority connections. Concessions have their own connection so anybody can get to that.
The other problem is that there are problems with the current traditional way of obtaining concessions. Running out of food, bottlenecking, etc. One would think adding such a service could address some of those issues, but in certain ways they could only pile on the problem. I'm sure some people avoid concessions now because of the pain. If they could order via phone that would increase the orders, which would increase the workload, which would also increase the staff needed. Not to mention the technology would have to be accurate in updating patrons on their order status. Don't want food piling up getting cold like the shelves at Chipotle.

If they could find a way to make it all work with more minor than major hiccups it would be a very awesome idea and concept.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:39 am

To the OP’s point, Current KBS isn’t set up from a feng shui to handle the crowds that we are seeing.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:56 am

I bet Chick-fil-a could make it work.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:03 am

I still think we underutilize the space around the videoboard. I've always wondered why given our concession woes.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:14 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:03 am
I still think we underutilize the space around the videoboard. I've always wondered why given our concession woes.
Money, Money, Money.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:57 am

This is probably a crazy idea but what if you had to pay a surcharge at the gate to bring in your own (unopen) bottles of soda or water? Let's say that a family of 4 just wants water and soda so they bring some with them, go through a designated gate and pays an extra $2 per bottle? The stadium makes some money and that family doesn't have to deal with lines.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:58 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:57 am
This is probably a crazy idea but what if you had to pay a surcharge at the gate to bring in your own (unopen) bottles of soda or water? Let's say that a family of 4 just wants water and soda so they bring some with them, go through a designated gate and pays an extra $2 per bottle? The stadium makes some money and that family doesn't have to deal with lines.
Will never be allowed with our vendor contracts...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:02 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:58 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
This and the insane stoppage to the flow entering the stadium.

appatlkn

Unread post by appatlkn » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:31 am

I feel that stanchions at most, if not all, concession stands are the best bet given the current configuration of the stadium. These would give the lines a defined place and help with the flow of people walking beneath the east and west sides. I'm not sure how well stanchions would work at the places where they sell fried pies, t-shirts, and trucks near the video board, but I think it would improve the situation with minimal expense and time needed to implement.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:38 am

We could set up a separate area just for texted orders. Use the old rec center at the top of the hill at least for the east side and there is the one access gate even for the top level to avoid the walking down the hill to turn around and walk up steps. Items could be bottled drinks and limited food items that do not need refrigeration if that is an issue.

I am not sure how much space is open on the west side building but set aside an area for storage of drinks and snacks that is not tied to a concession stand.

The NEZ seems to have some space as well to store a few items to sell to those seats

This need not be the only method of selling concessions. Attendees can still walk themselves for items not be sold via text. This could take a little pressure off the concession stand lines.

Make a contest for a student to write a script to send a text for the number in the queue and cancel the order if the wait is too long. After collecting a bit of data over a few games one could even give an approximate wait time.

There are a lot of things that could keep this from working but it would solve some problems as well, if we can get it to work, and with good ol' Appalachian know-how and I bet some CS majors and some hospitality majors could come up with some answers along with the professors.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:41 am

appatlkn wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:31 am
I feel that stanchions at most, if not all, concession stands are the best bet given the current configuration of the stadium. These would give the lines a defined place and help with the flow of people walking beneath the east and west sides. I'm not sure how well stanchions would work at the places where they sell fried pies, t-shirts, and trucks near the video board, but I think it would improve the situation with minimal expense and time needed to implement.
This would help but some lines are so long the stanchions would cut across the flow of traffic of people walking through, though those lines can be twisted back and forth to be rather long and allow some space to move around on the east side better than the west side. I assume there are some ADA requirements on the amount of space needed for a wheelchair to move around a stanchion line.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:44 am

AppStateNews wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
At one time unopened water was allowed and I thought that was still the case. Unopened anything else beyond baby formula was disallowed, open or sealed. Maybe that changed in the last few years. I don't remember asking about water since my father passed away but I do remember bringing in unopened water for him (he also had kidney problems.)

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:46 am

Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:44 am
AppStateNews wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
At one time unopened water was allowed and I thought that was still the case. Unopened anything else beyond baby formula was disallowed, open or sealed. Maybe that changed in the last few years. I don't remember asking about water since my father passed away but I do remember bringing in unopened water for him (he also had kidney problems.)
Pretty sure that you can still bring in 1 bottle of unopened water per person.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:49 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:46 am
AppStateNews wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Pretty sure that you can still bring in 1 bottle of unopened water per person.
That seems reasonable. Back then we would have a couple bottles on us and drink one in line getting in and keep one unopened.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:01 pm

Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:38 am
We could set up a separate area just for texted orders. Use the old rec center at the top of the hill at least for the east side and there is the one access gate even for the top level to avoid the walking down the hill to turn around and walk up steps. Items could be bottled drinks and limited food items that do not need refrigeration if that is an issue.

I am not sure how much space is open on the west side building but set aside an area for storage of drinks and snacks that is not tied to a concession stand.

The NEZ seems to have some space as well to store a few items to sell to those seats

This need not be the only method of selling concessions. Attendees can still walk themselves for items not be sold via text. This could take a little pressure off the concession stand lines.

Make a contest for a student to write a script to send a text for the number in the queue and cancel the order if the wait is too long. After collecting a bit of data over a few games one could even give an approximate wait time.

There are a lot of things that could keep this from working but it would solve some problems as well, if we can get it to work, and with good ol' Appalachian know-how and I bet some CS majors and some hospitality majors could come up with some answers along with the professors.
All reasonable suggestions with one possible hurdle. It would cost a fortune to update the Wi-Fi in KBS to make texting orders remotely efficient. I liked how Louisiana has there set up. Concessions are in the open air to allow you to watch the game while in line. I would consider transforming the restrooms behind Miller Hill, (Cline Hill once the concrete is poured) into concession area. Larger walkways and you can see the game from the line.

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:29 pm

Last year, you were allowed 1 unopened bottle of water

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:42 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:01 pm
Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:38 am

All reasonable suggestions with one possible hurdle. It would cost a fortune to update the Wi-Fi in KBS to make texting orders remotely efficient. I liked how Louisiana has there set up. Concessions are in the open air to allow you to watch the game while in line. I would consider transforming the restrooms behind Miller Hill, (Cline Hill once the concrete is poured) into concession area. Larger walkways and you can see the game from the line.

Not Cline Hill...Bleacher Hill.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”