Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

When is the last time ...

85gradinATL

Re: When is the last time ...

Unread post by 85gradinATL » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:39 am

AppWyo wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:33 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:56 pm
a former App State Head Coach is returning to KBS as the opposing Head Coach?

Should this be a bigger story than it is?
This can be as big of a story as the media would like for it to be. Mack Brown left because of money, but some could argue this was the beginning of the current success that Appalachian is enjoying. Had he left for another head coach job, he may have taken his entire staff with him. Had he done that Sparky Woods would not have been here for five years as the head coach and taken the team to the playoffs or won App its first SoCon Football Championship.
I agree about Mack being the foundation for our current football success and have felt that way for a while. It was nice to see someone else express that view. I'm not a fan of him as a game coach, but what is his strength is his personality. That's why he is such a good recruiter and is good on TV. He was here my junior year and I saw him first hand urge students to come to games and do try and do special cheers. Beating Wake got everyone's attention and that was what App football needed then. Having that staff stay and do well got consistent fan support that App State hadn't had. The success Coach Moore had in the 90s built on that and we are enjoying the fruits of all that now. Building a program is hard and it takes time and a lot of people: coaches, players, administrators and especially fans and supporters.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:25 am

I have always said - and NewApp will ask again about Texas - Mack is a great recruiter but an average coach - He was perfect for unc after Fedora's dumpster fire
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:32 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:25 am
I have always said - and NewApp will ask again about Texas - Mack is a great recruiter but an average coach - He was perfect for unc after Fedora's dumpster fire
All I will say is, either he was a good coach or he had foresight to pick someone highly qualified in X's and O's as well as game and personnel management. I'm always grateful to MB for bringing in Sparky, who brought in my or one of my favorite Apps ever, John Settle (what a humble gentleman John was/is) Mack gets busted n here for leaving for a career move as well as $$ just like ever lasting App, Scotty did. Yet Scott is praised for having black and gold blood. Only diff is length of tenure at App. He had the courage to face us twice after 90 years of App history. And yes, a National Championship at Texas is laudable whether he is average or not.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:08 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:32 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
All I will say is, either he was a good coach or he had foresight to pick someone highly qualified in X's and O's as well as game and personnel management. I'm always grateful to MB for bringing in Sparky, who brought in my or one of my favorite Apps ever, John Settle (what a humble gentleman John was/is) Mack gets busted n here for leaving for a career move as well as $$ just like ever lasting App, Scotty did. Yet Scott is praised for having black and gold blood. Only diff is length of tenure at App. He had the courage to face us twice after 90 years of App history. And yes, a National Championship at Texas is laudable whether he is average or not.

Back in 2003, I had the time to take in more college hoops. It's above and beyond my favorite sport. During that season, I watched Carmelo Anthony rip the ACC to shreds. He was a man amongst boys. It was almost comical. They had a close call against Auburn in the tourney but they rolled on. Then he dropped Kansas for the national championship and led his team in pts, rebounds, and assists. Kansas had some future NBA players, but it didn't matter. Somewhere on the sidelines skulked Boeheim, watching his best recruit do whatever he wanted offensively, seeing that natty fall into his lap. Take that natty away and Boeheim becomes another quality coach that had longevity, thus his high record. (I do like him as a coach and he is better at bball than Mack is at football). I never thought I would see something so absurd as that again.

Then came Vince Young's junior year.

I saw it again. He demolished college football for one year.

He is an average coach that does quality recruiting for both staff and players. He is another one who was able to hang on long enough at a big school thanks to a nice 6-year recruiting streak that his coaching record has a nice pad. After that line of luck ran out, so did his final years at Texas. All it takes is one player to change the image of a program and a coach. Where would App be without Armanti?

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:04 pm

appdaze wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:08 pm
NewApp wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:32 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:

Back in 2003, I had the time to take in more college hoops. It's above and beyond my favorite sport. During that season, I watched Carmelo Anthony rip the ACC to shreds. He was a man amongst boys. It was almost comical. They had a close call against Auburn in the tourney but they rolled on. Then he dropped Kansas for the national championship and led his team in pts, rebounds, and assists. Kansas had some future NBA players, but it didn't matter. Somewhere on the sidelines skulked Boeheim, watching his best recruit do whatever he wanted offensively, seeing that natty fall into his lap. Take that natty away and Boeheim becomes another quality coach that had longevity, thus his high record. (I do like him as a coach and he is better at bball than Mack is at football). I never thought I would see something so absurd as that again.

Then came Vince Young's junior year.

I saw it again. He demolished college football for one year.

He is an average coach that does quality recruiting for both staff and players. He is another one who was able to hang on long enough at a big school thanks to a nice 6-year recruiting streak that his coaching record has a nice pad. After that line of luck ran out, so did his final years at Texas. All it takes is one player to change the image of a program and a coach. Where would App be without Armanti?
American Football is one of the few sports that is truly a team sport. No matter how good your offense is, it is nothing without defense, and special teams. A quarterback is only as good as his running backs or receivers which are only good if they have an offensive line to give the quarterback time to throw or holes for the running backs to run through. Just look at the example of Jimmy Clawson or Sam Darnold. They had the best at Notre Dame and Southern Cal, however, they could not win and that is the reason they have been bad in the NFL. Football is a team sport like no other, it takes everyone to win, not just a few superstars.

Appalachian has been successful and continues to succeed, because it has the right people, in the right place, at the right time.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:08 am

Wyo --- True - but I think what daze was alluding to is to be a very special team, the QB has to be very special

NewApp - I had no particular interest in App football when Mack was in Boone so it makes absolutely Zero impact on me when I make my comments about him and his coaching/recruiting abilities - Zero --- However I do find it a bit quizzical you compare Mack's 1 year to Scott's decades and complain that Mack's doesn't get treated with appropriate accolades --- ???
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:17 pm

Mack left APP to take the OC job at Oklahoma. I think under Switzer?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”