Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Kind of interesting and kind of nice to be included

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Re: Kind of interesting and kind of nice to be included

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:28 am

It’s great being mentioned, and it’s fun to think about. Like thinking about how I’m going to spend my lottery winnings from a ticket I probably won’t purchase.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:36 am

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:28 am
It’s great being mentioned, and it’s fun to think about. Like thinking about how I’m going to spend my lottery winnings from a ticket I probably won’t purchase.
But somebody did win it and now they are living the dream :D

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:23 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:32 am
appstate77 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:03 pm
With ACC money would come more Yosef money, assuming something of this nature occurs.
That was one of the selling points for moving up to FBS and the Sun Belt. Has it worked out for our so-called minor sports. I don't claim to know, but it certainly is debatable. It does seem to have for our Women's sports at least.
And it is possible even more cuts would have been made without the move to FBS. We know what happened but not moving brought no guarantees beyond less revenue from football if we stayed FCS.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:01 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:23 pm
NewApp wrote:
appstate77 wrote:
With ACC money would come more Yosef money, assuming something of this nature occurs.
That was one of the selling points for moving up to FBS and the Sun Belt. Has it worked out for our so-called minor sports. I don't claim to know, but it certainly is debatable. It does seem to have for our Women's sports at least.
And it is possible even more cuts would have been made without the move to FBS. We know what happened but not moving brought no guarantees beyond less revenue from football if we stayed FCS.

Time says you are wrong. We added mens' and womens' sports every so often while we were in FCS such as indoor track. Having said that, except for losing sports, I'm thrilled we are in FBS for football's sake. Although we beat Michigan while in FCS, we likely never would have had the chance to beat the hockey out of Carolina in Chapel Hell(as well as at home in a few weeks) and play Wake Forest in FCS. Overall we made the right move, but some programs have undoubtedly suffered.
Not complaining, just being analytical.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:13 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:51 am
Clearly this is all hypothetical so just to make sure no one thinks I really think this is real.

However, in that context, if we had $100M+ in a P4 Conference revenue share it would absolutely change everything about our entire operations.
1. We are known for doing more with less, several articles have confirmed that. We would be doing that based on $100M or many multiples of what we currently have today.
2. We would be on equal footing for recruiting.
3. There would be an increase in Yosef club contributions, I don't know exactly what but it would be significantly more than what we see today.
4. App would be in a totally different realm of perception as a P4 vs a upcoming G5 school.

What would be the resulting football record? I think we could probably stay in top half of conference but that is a lot of speculation. It is fun but fantasy for me.
Not arguing just curious as to why you think donations would greatly increase. Look at your ranking on Josef club. There are members in late 30s early 40s in the top 400 and they are not big dollar folks. We have exceeded ALL expectations and our donations are pitiful. I want to share in your optimism but struggling to get there.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:34 pm

We'd make that work. Look what happened to A&T after it got into the SEC. You tell recruits you'd be competing against the best teams of the ACC and SEC the quality of the overall program would meteorically rise.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:00 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:01 pm
NewApp wrote:
appstate77 wrote:

Time says you are wrong. We added mens' and womens' sports every so often while we were in FCS such as indoor track. Having said that, except for losing sports, I'm thrilled we are in FBS for football's sake. Although we beat Michigan while in FCS, we likely never would have had the chance to beat the hockey out of Carolina in Chapel Hell(as well as at home in a few weeks) and play Wake Forest in FCS. Overall we made the right move, but some programs have undoubtedly suffered.
I am aware of the cuts we made but football is bringing in more money now (and has more expenses). The test is the amount of income over expenses football has now as compared to FCS days. Also look at Yosef Club donations. I bet what we bring in now would be less had we stayed FCS. Had we stayed FCS we may have had to drop even more programs.

You may have a valid point, but I also do not think it is so clear as looking at Olympic Sports count without looking deeper at the numbers and I am not sure we have access to all the numbers without digging deep.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:03 pm

Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:00 pm
NewApp wrote:
NewApp wrote:
appstate77 wrote:

I am aware of the cuts we made but football is bringing in more money now (and has more expenses). The test is the amount of income over expenses football has now as compared to FCS days. Also look at Yosef Club donations. I bet what we bring in now would be less had we stayed FCS. Had we stayed FCS we may have had to drop even more programs.

You may have a valid point, but I also do not think it is so clear as looking at Olympic Sports count without looking deeper at the numbers and I am not sure we have access to all the numbers without digging deep.
I would be curious to see if expenses do come in below income.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:21 pm

bcoach wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:03 pm
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:00 pm
NewApp wrote:
NewApp wrote:

I would be curious to see if expenses do come in below income.
I would not be surprised if every team has less revenue than expenses. That is certainly true for the nonrevenue sports, which I assume is pretty much every sport that does not charge admission. Even those that charge admission can't be bringing in enough to cover salaries, let alone travel. It would be nice if football made a bit of money to help the other sports but all of this may be hanging on the back of student fees. Football is clearly bringing in more money but coaches' salaries are up a lot. I am sure someone has a breakdown of expenses for each sport but how does one distribute students fees fairly to each sport?

NewApp and I sort of agree with each other to a degree. It is true some of the cuts sports suffered but I am just curious if it would be even worse without FBS money.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:56 pm

The move to FBS allowed Appalachian to be more visible nationally than staying in the FCS. This has caused the school to grow more than it would have had it stayed FCS.

Beating Michigan was important to that growth and has allowed App to enjoy success that most schools only dream of having, but did not stop there. App actually parleyed that accomplishment into one of the greatest runs of continued success of any school transitions from FCS to FBS. The biggest key to our success was the way we moved up into a conference we could compete in with our arch rival. Our policy of playing anyone anywhere has also worked to our advantage.

Make no bones about it. Appalachian and Georgia Southern have elevated the Sunbelt to where it is now along with timing. The Sunbelt was playing games when other conferences were not during the pandemic. That is the reason we were on CBS playing Marshall when no one else was available to play on television.

Right now the Sunbelt is in a great position to be even better than it has ever has been before.

Georgia Southern and Appalachian were just happy to get an FBS invite, while JMU waited until they felt they could get the best deal possible. Marshall has been at this much longer than App and GS and Southern Miss even longer.

One of the most awesome things about the Sunbelt, other than all the schools are public universities and share similar fanbases, is the simple fact none of the schools are the big dogs within their state which in turn causes these athletes to compete at a more passionate level. They play with a chip on their shoulder.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:00 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:34 pm
We'd make that work. Look what happened to A&T after it got into the SEC. You tell recruits you'd be competing against the best teams of the ACC and SEC the quality of the overall program would meteorically rise.
But tell them you are, except for a few so called upsets, getting your ass handed to you and they might change their minds. Just sayin.'

Look at Wake. Some years they are pretty spectacular, however most of the time they are near cellar dweller in football. Would App fans and donors have the patience Wake has? I don't claim to know the answer.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:06 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Did you mean A&M?
Google SUX

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:44 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:00 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
But tell them you are, except for a few so called upsets, getting your ass handed to you and they might change their minds. Just sayin.'

Look at Wake. Some years they are pretty spectacular, however most of the time they are near cellar dweller in football. Would App fans and donors have the patience Wake has? I don't claim to know the answer.
Not sure, but I would think that ticket sales wouldn't be a problem if you could go to Boone and see the likes of Georgia, Florida, Alabama and the like. It's all hypothetical but I would like to think the support would increase meteorically if this were to happen.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:45 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:06 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
Did you mean A&M?
Yeah them. lol

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:54 am

One thing I can say with certainty, winning is important. It is very important that we stay in a conference and at a level that we can win. We do not need to move up unless we feel we can be in the top 3 of the conference. Money and ticket sales will disappear if we start losing.

Scott Saterfield was sure we could compete at the G5 level after coaching at FIU. I think we can compete everywhere but the soon to be p2. That being said, I do think we can compete with the losing schools in the p2. NIL is the wild card. I think App offered a great atmosphere to play football amd have fun, I am not sure the NIL money will be available for App. I hope I am wrong.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:15 pm

spacemonkey said: One thing I can say with certainty, winning is important. It is very important that we stay in a conference and at a level that we can win. We do not need to move up unless we feel we can be in the top 3 of the conference. Money and ticket sales will disappear if we start losing.

I say, you and I seem to be the only ones on here who believe that. Lust for beating a top branded school at almost any cost is having the day on here.
Google SUX

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:19 pm

Winning is absolutely the most important thing for us. I’ve read back over several threads and I can’t see where anyone has said that winning is not important.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:29 pm

appst89 wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:19 pm
Winning is absolutely the most important thing for us. I’ve read back over several threads and I can’t see where anyone has said that winning is not important.
I have not seen that either and didn't say anything like that. STRETCH much? It's just most of the posts seem to think we could either compete with the Southern Cals, Notre Dames, etc on a regular basis since them on the schedule or even in KBS would cause donations and revenue to increase enough to justify it. I would rather win the SB outright than to beat UNC (as much as I disdain the Heels). Of course most of us want to do both.
Google SUX

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:15 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:29 pm
appst89 wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:19 pm
I have not seen that either and didn't say anything like that. STRETCH much? It's just most of the posts seem to think we could either compete with the Southern Cals, Notre Dames, etc on a regular basis since them on the schedule or even in KBS would cause donations and revenue to increase enough to justify it. I would rather win the SB outright than to beat UNC (as much as I disdain the Heels). Of course most of us want to do both.
Some schools believe that their team would be better if they played in a better conference, actually what they need is a rival to be better.

Appalachian has had the rivals it needed to be better, Its immediate success in the Sunbelt can be attributed to Georgia Southern. Now, it seems that every school in the Sunbelt East is its rival, including new members, which has made them all better as a result, even Louisiana is better because of the rivalry.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:27 pm

We will find rivals no matter where we go or stay. That's because, primarily, that we are a winner. I never was a fan of putting rival games too high on the priorities. I like championships more. We had a good season the other year, but SOME (said SOME so no one could S T R E T C H my post) on here bitched and moaned because we lost to GS on ice. Said the coaches blew it. Said we should have been ready for playing on ice. Maybe we should have, but it sure didn't ruin my season. It ruined my night though because 1. We lost (no matter who to) and 2. I (and my 14 year old ) froze our my asses off at the game and the mile back to the car. We were way past Deep Gap before we got half way warm.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”