Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

CFB attendance falls for 8th straight year

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

CFB attendance falls for 8th straight year

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:42 pm

Not counting 2020 because of Covid, college football attendance has fallen across the country for the 8th straight season. App had a good season with attendance but it's a problem for all of college football.

Jump to the 15:50 mark if you want to listen, but we talked to Michael Borkey from Sports Talk Mississippi about the downward trend.

Takeaways: disposable income is down while ticket prices are up, parking prices are up, concession prices are up, but ADs haven't quite figured out the very easy answer: lower your prices to get more people there. "Stadiums are adding enhancements but are missing the point entirely".

https://omny.fm/shows/offsides-with-mar ... 9-3pm-hour
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

EastHallApp

Re: CFB attendance falls for 8th straight year

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:32 pm

Not sure the part about disposable income flies for 2021. Between coronabucks and not traveling or going out much for a year, a lot of people had money burning a hole in their pocket last year. They just chose to spend it on other stuff (part of what's driving inflation now).

I won't pretend to have studied the issue closely, but my first reaction is that maybe decades of allowing college sports to be treated entirely as a TV property have resulted in people... actually preferring to watch it on TV (or not at all).

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:19 am

It really wasn't too long ago when the only way to keep up with an App game (if you didn't go) was the game cast on ESPN- if it was accurate. Then we had the awesome PBS seasons. We actually had a couple of years where a Fayetteville station broadcasted the games. Once ESPN expanded their capability it just got easier and cheaper to sit home. There really is nothing like the actual game day experience especially in Boone but times are indeed changing.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:36 am

Michael makes a good point. Most of us here are from the generations when games were can’t miss. You had to be there. But kids today aren't growing up in the same environment or creating the same memories. ADs need to figure out how to get people back into the stadiums and not make people feel like they’re getting ripped off.
Last edited by APPdiesel on Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:44 am

In general I think the trend will continue and I think NIL and the portal will have a net negative effect on CFB numbers.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:49 am

I didn't listen to the article but I am curious if they have broken down attendance by region or conference. I can't imagine the SEC schools having any lower attendance but it would be no surprise that the PAC 12 does. At the end of the day the average fan wants to see a game where their team is competitive and it won't cost them a mortgage payment to take the family to watch it. There really aren't many teams that can offer both of those options to their fans. We are fortunate at App that our games are almost always competitive and the prices still are not astronomical, yet. It gets really hard to justify spending hundreds-thousands of dollars to watch a team get beat on a consistent basis, especially with how many tv options there are to watch the games.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:30 am

The kids being different is the part that I have trouble with. As engaged as our students are during games, I am genuinely perplexed as to why that doesn’t transfer over into post graduate involvement at a greater volume.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:38 am

t4pizza wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:49 am
I didn't listen to the article but I am curious if they have broken down attendance by region or conference. I can't imagine the SEC schools having any lower attendance but it would be no surprise that the PAC 12 does. At the end of the day the average fan wants to see a game where their team is competitive and it won't cost them a mortgage payment to take the family to watch it. There really aren't many teams that can offer both of those options to their fans. We are fortunate at App that our games are almost always competitive and the prices still are not astronomical, yet. It gets really hard to justify spending hundreds-thousands of dollars to watch a team get beat on a consistent basis, especially with how many tv options there are to watch the games.
Only the Big 10 saw an attendance gain among the P5 in 2021 and, the SEC saw a decline for the fifth straight year. Eight of the top 10 teams saw a decline in attendance. Only three of the 10 FBS conferences saw a gain. In addition to the Big 10, the Sun Belt and MAC saw gains. The Sun Belt had its best year ever.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ince-1981/

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:30 am

hapapp wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:38 am
t4pizza wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:49 am
Only the Big 10 saw an attendance gain among the P5 in 2021 and, the SEC saw a decline for the fifth straight year. Eight of the top 10 teams saw a decline in attendance. Only three of the 10 FBS conferences saw a gain. In addition to the Big 10, the Sun Belt and MAC saw gains. The Sun Belt had its best year ever.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ince-1981/
The Big12, AAC and CUSA sure will look different in a couple of years.....

The ACC is in trouble...

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:56 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:30 am
The kids being different is the part that I have trouble with. As engaged as our students are during games, I am genuinely perplexed as to why that doesn’t transfer over into post graduate involvement at a greater volume.
I have thought about this and made suggestions in the past. The graduates go straight from the rowdy student section into the general population. I would love to see a recent grad section. I think we should carve out a center section in Miller Hill and install several hundred seat as close as we can to the end zone and make it a recent grad section.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:59 am

Based on the numbers being thrown out, I would be curious to understand how the league that plays mostly midweek games in November, (MAC) had the largest increase by far.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:59 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:56 am
AppSt94 wrote:
I have thought about this and made suggestions in the past. The graduates go straight from the rowdy student section into the general population. I would love to see a recent grad section. I think we should carve out a center section in Miller Hill and install several hundred seat as close as we can to the end zone and make it a recent grad section.
That’s not a bad idea. Just be warned that this type of thinking requires more aluminum and concrete. Those two things are frowned upon by some in this establishment. :D

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:18 am

I would like to see seating closer to the field. Wherever possible keeping in mind player safety. Although it is difficult to make environment like Cameron for Dook basketball, be nice to get as close as possible...with exception do not want students up and close and personal to visiting team (Louisiana Lafayette game with their student section on our sideline was not good)...I think making it a loud environment make it an experience young graduates would want to return...I am all for rowdy if done in an appropriate way.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:43 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:59 am
Based on the numbers being thrown out, I would be curious to understand how the league that plays mostly midweek games in November, (MAC) had the largest increase by far.
Maybe it was a function of match ups or perhaps the weather was more cooperative this past season. They tend to play those games later in the year and in that part of the country, it can be pretty chilly during games. Then again, based on their past attendance, perhaps it doesn't take much to gain a solid increase.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:48 am

hapapp wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:43 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Maybe it was a function of match ups or perhaps the weather was more cooperative this past season. They tend to play those games later in the year and in that part of the country, it can be pretty chilly during games. Then again, based on their past attendance, perhaps it doesn't take much to gain a solid increase.
All valid. Perhaps the MAC’s regional footprint helps. The SBC averaged 18k this year. I can see, App, Marshall, JMU, ODU and Southern all eclipsing that this season. Coastal May as well.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:47 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
I guess when you only average 8,000 per game, it would not take much to show an increase. LOL

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:42 pm

It will be very interesting to see how it goes nationally especially if gas hits $5 a gallon. A 200 mile trip (times 2 to get home) is easily $100 just to get to and from the game. Add on about $150 minimum for 4 tickets, food and incidentals and that is a $300ish day without staying overnight. Knock that gas down to where it was a year ago and the $50 increase might make a difference for some.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:09 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:56 am
AppSt94 wrote:
That’s not a bad idea. Just be warned that this type of thinking requires more aluminum and concrete. Those two things are frowned upon by some in this establishment. :D
Hang on, I could have a solution, terrace the hill and cover it with turf.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:19 pm

Football on TV up till 2008-10ish. still looked like this.

Now

plus surround sound? no brainer for many.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:42 pm

Meant to add this earlier. If a person had to pay the equivalent of a ticket to watch their team play on TV I wonder how many would pony up? Almost like a PPV deal. If my choices were go to the game or pay $50 I'd still have to do some thinking. I'd save the added costs but admittedly I'm used to either free or ESPN plus- spoiled I'll admit it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”