Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The End of Miller Hill?

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: The End of Miller Hill?

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 24, 2022 6:28 am

huskie3 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:59 pm
CornCobPipes wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:17 pm
They need to put in a lower deck of temporary stands below the new NEZ and do away with the silly beer garden. Those privileges belong to the NEZ seat holders which means empty seats glaring. Plenty of places to put a beer garden. Damn we need more fans and seats and to improve the asthetics on TV. App is trying to get too foo foo for it's britches. A lot of people are already pissed off and not attending games as much or at all that used to come religiously. This economy gets worse especially with a mediocre year or mediocre schedule and you will see it. The demand is sharp right now ahead of 2022 season but folks are beginning to grumble. It appears the strategy is crowd control instead of crowd growth.
The area has already been named Hatley Pavilion, https://today.appstate.edu/2021/10/28/pavilion
The Beer Garten isn’t for NEZ ticket holders. The Beer Garten, (the patio on the State side) is a premium seating option for those that want to pay $100 a spot to be in there. No one in the BG has a seat upstairs.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:13 pm

What is the latest news. Is Miller Hill permanent seating project going to happen this summer? When does construction begin?
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:53 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:13 pm
What is the latest news. Is Miller Hill permanent seating project going to happen this summer? When does construction begin?
I’m not familiar with any permanent seating project for the hill. The administration had ideas to place bleachers on the hill for the season. As of the last time I spoke to anyone personally, that plan was in limbo due to grade and sight line issues. I believe our resident curmudgeon floated his disdain for concrete, which to my knowledge, was never part of the plan for this season.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:35 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
My final word on the subject whether anyone wants to hear it or not is to leave Miller Hill alone. It's one of the few nice grassy areas left on the lower campus. Natural looking areas on campus are what we used to be proud of. Our "mountainy" scenic beauty is what visitors appreciate.
We don't need more concrete and aluminum to look like big school, urban campuses. That's just my opinion and am not much concerned whether anyone else agrees. It's just my personal wish..
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:08 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:35 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
My final word on the subject whether anyone wants to hear it or not is to leave Miller Hill alone. It's one of the few nice grassy areas left on the lower campus. Natural looking areas on campus are what we used to be proud of. Our "mountainy" scenic beauty is what visitors appreciate.
We don't need more concrete and aluminum to look like big school, urban campuses. That's just my opinion and am not much concerned whether anyone else agrees. It's just my personal wish..
And extremely cost effective .

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:13 am

Did they get rid of Sanford Mall?..pretty sizeable grassy not in an income producing venue..#freemillerhillforconcrete
:D
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:46 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:13 am
Did they get rid of Sanford Mall?..pretty sizeable grassy not in an income producing venue..#freemillerhillforconcrete
:D
Good point. I haven't been on it since the days hippies dominated it. However the mall is away from view of most spectators and visitors to games and the campus in general.
Google SUX

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:37 am

Here's an alternate perspective on Miller Hill:
  • How does KBS look on TV?
  • How does it look to ESPN and viewers across the country?
  • Does Miller HIll make a difference in the appearance of the stadium to TV viewers?
But TV (and the way things appear on TV) is an important part of the equation. We love Miller Hill but do the university and ESPN think it looks bush league on TV?

Folks, we can get our panties in a wad about Miller Hill. Like many of you, I've made plenty of good memories there.
But allow me to also play devil's advocate. For any of you who graduated more than 15 years ago, do you get upset that the campus looks almost completely different now? Time and "progress" march on, friends.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:11 am

If it looks Bush league why did we go to the effort and expense of creating the ASU (or whatever) shrubbery on the hill? Fans and TV like our stadium because of the mountain setting and the grassy hill help to reinforce that in my opinion. More concrete and aluminum may just make us look like an urban wannabee. That's just my opinion and I realize I'm in the minority. FWIW, I favor progress, but don't feel it has to be just by adding more concrete and aluminum to the equation. Bowling it in as some want will make our little 30K stadium look like a big time wannabe.
Google SUX

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:22 am

The good thing is none of this is actually happening (or is planned right now). This whole conversation started over temporary SEZ bleachers being brought in for the UNC game that may or may not be left in place for the season.

It was hinted and theorized that this could be a dry run feasibility test for future permanent SEZ seats.

Given our future schedules, it’d be impossible (and unnecessary) to plan and build permanent seating by ECU 9/16/23. The next “need” for permanent seats likely wouldn’t be until 2025 when we currently only have 1 OOC home game scheduled vs Toledo. If a big opponent is scheduled in ‘25 you might see a push to finish construction by then.

My opinion: just as temporary seats in the NEZ begat a new NEZ facility, temporary seats in the SEZ will be seen as an opportunity to up charge for a permanent seat later (compared to GA tickets) - AND - fans who get a chance to sit in a temporary SEZ seat will really enjoy the experience of being closer to the field, at which point the call from fans to install permanent seats will increase. I sat in the NEZ temporary bleachers a few times and really liked it. I like moving around the stadium and seeing it from all different perspectives.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:02 am

NewApp wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:11 am
If it looks Bush league why did we go to the effort and expense of creating the ASU (or whatever) shrubbery on the hill? Fans and TV like our stadium because of the mountain setting and the grassy hill help to reinforce that in my opinion. More concrete and aluminum may just make us look like an urban wannabee. That's just my opinion and I realize I'm in the minority. FWIW, I favor progress, but don't feel it has to be just by adding more concrete and aluminum to the equation. Bowling it in as some want will make our little 30K stadium look like a big time wannabe.
The shrubbery on the hill was graciously donated, installed, and maintained by a member of this board. No expense was incurred for this by the school.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:42 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:22 am
The good thing is none of this is actually happening (or is planned right now). This whole conversation started over temporary SEZ bleachers being brought in for the UNC game that may or may not be left in place for the season.

It was hinted and theorized that this could be a dry run feasibility test for future permanent SEZ seats.

Given our future schedules, it’d be impossible (and unnecessary) to plan and build permanent seating by ECU 9/16/23. The next “need” for permanent seats likely wouldn’t be until 2025 when we currently only have 1 OOC home game scheduled vs Toledo. If a big opponent is scheduled in ‘25 you might see a push to finish construction by then.

My opinion: just as temporary seats in the NEZ begat a new NEZ facility, temporary seats in the SEZ will be seen as an opportunity to up charge for a permanent seat later (compared to GA tickets) - AND - fans who get a chance to sit in a temporary SEZ seat will really enjoy the experience of being closer to the field, at which point the call from fans to install permanent seats will increase. I sat in the NEZ temporary bleachers a few times and really liked it. I like moving around the stadium and seeing it from all different perspectives.
There are far more than 5,000 students going to the games. They are the ones paying most of the bills. They should have seats.

We can call KBS a 30k stadium all we want but it doesn't have anywhere close to 30,000 seats.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:34 pm

I had never been a fan of the hill, and full disclosure I really disliked the view sitting on it (pre-regrading)....however since the regrading I really like it. It looks good aesthetically, and the fans seem much closer to the field. The regrading has made it seem like the fans are much more compacted together and less scattered/spread out. My view of the hill last season was from the NEZ for all games except one and it looked good. The fans and fan reaction on the game winning FG vs Coastal looked really cool in person, and I watched the replay and looked good on TV as well. IMO it's gone from being a detriment to enhancing how picturesque our stadium is. I think they should leave it as is. Would like to see them widen the walkway and add some permanent building for concession and merchandise (rather than the food trucks/canopy tents).

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:59 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:02 am
NewApp wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:11 am
The shrubbery on the hill was graciously donated, installed, and maintained by a member of this board. No expense was incurred for this by the school.
And seems to enjoy one particular brand of beer while wearing a hat if I am not mistaken.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:25 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:42 am
APPdiesel wrote:

There are far more than 5,000 students going to the games. They are the ones paying most of the bills. They should have seats.

We can call KBS a 30k stadium all we want but it doesn't have anywhere close to 30,000 seats.

Not seats but SRO in the hill end zone. There was said to be 30,00 fans at the Wake game. Anyway said to be our highest number ever. Now where they sat or didn't sit is a mystery to me. All I know is there no way in Hell we can get more on concrete/aluminum bleachers than we get SRO on Miller Hill unless we could go two or three levels high.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:27 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:42 am
APPdiesel wrote:

Well, try to get 5K seats on Miller Hill without taking in the concourse or going two bleacher sets high and relocating the Media Board. Maybe it can be done, but I don't see how. As to seats. Students in the present student section, don't sit down anyway. They stand butt to butt,shoulder to shoulder the entire game every time I've sat above them.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:52 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:19 am
1. I don't see the point. UVA, Wake, Clemson (Although only partial) make their hills work for them, why can't we? If they were going to bring the seats closer to the field I could understand, but to just put it on the hill, I don't get it.

2. I hope it's done well, and not just thrown together and look sloppy.

3. Will this allow Cline a better view of Howard's knob?
Howard's Knob? Who gives a big sh!t about Howard's knob? All I know is every time there is a game on TV, the announcers start off gabbing about what a beautiful town and area. I'm sure they aren't talking about our concrete and aluminum stadium. But thanks for the snark? Couldn't help your self could you?

But I do like your queries s about the schools' stadiums you mentioned.
Google SUX

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:12 pm

If we really need to expand in the future… I’m in favor of an east side do over. Just leave Miller Hill alone. New east side would be brick and concrete no aluminum. All seats on the east side would be the same style as the north end zone. New east side would include indoor walkthrough hall of fame, app state football history area, concessions, bathrooms, access to luxury boxes and connected to the NEZ in the design. Glass on the 4th floor of the NEZ would rap around and down the East side. Luxury boxes would be above that level. Seats below the 4th floor level would be covered by an overhang and extend to field level. Students get more seats on west side. GA standing room only ticket holders get the hill.
Last edited by Appstate88 on Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:08 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:52 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:19 am
1. I don't see the point. UVA, Wake, Clemson (Although only partial) make their hills work for them, why can't we? If they were going to bring the seats closer to the field I could understand, but to just put it on the hill, I don't get it.

2. I hope it's done well, and not just thrown together and look sloppy.

3. Will this allow Cline a better view of Howard's knob?
Howard's Knob? Who gives a big sh!t about Howard's knob? All I know is every time there is a game on TV, the announcers start off gabbing about what a beautiful town and area. I'm sure they aren't talking about our concrete and aluminum stadium. But thanks for the snark? Couldn't help your self could you?

But I do like your queries s about the schools' stadiums you mentioned.
Little known fact it seems, but the official name is Howard Knob.

https://edits.nationalmap.gov/apps/gaz- ... ry/1012242
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:32 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:12 pm
If we really need to expand in the future… I’m in favor of an east side do over. Just leave Miller Hill alone. New east side would be brick and concrete no aluminum. All seats on the east side would be the same style as the north end zone. New east side would include indoor walkthrough hall of fame, app state football history area, concessions, bathrooms, access to luxury boxes and connected to the NEZ in the design. Glass on the 4th floor of the NEZ would rap around and down the East side. Luxury boxes would be above that level. Seats below the 4th floor level would be covered by an overhang and extend to field level. Students get more seats on west side. GA standing room only ticket holders get the hill.
Good post! I would go for that. Not gonna happen, but I would love it if it did.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”