Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

State of the Sun Belt

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool
School: Appalachian State

State of the Sun Belt

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:52 am

Safe to say after playing the first Sun Belt game of the season things will look a little different in the conference this season.
The West is a 3 team race. UL looks very flawed compared to previous teams, and Troy is obviously improved under a new coaching staff. USA hung tough against UCLA. The West is just a big minefield waiting for each other. Their representative in the SBCCG could have 2 or 3 conference losses.

The East is somehow more confusing. We have the roster potential to run away with it, but as today shows you have to give your all any given week as we have the largest target on our back in the conference. JMU is the biggest mystery in the conference since we joined, and will learn a lot about them soon enough. GaState seemingly plays to the level of each opponent, but lacks any clutch gene. Coastal is undefeated, but has done so against an unimpressive schedule and looking a little worse for wear. Marshall is bipolar, and Southern will be a trap game for everyone. ODU might be the worst team, but are still competent and competitive.

TLDR; Just win baby, win.

hapapp

Re: State of the Sun Belt

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:11 am

Given the results of the last two weeks, I’m not sure we can know what will happen week to week.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:49 am

The SBC has a ton of teams that can beat any other SBC team.

JMU game is huge, then we get a couple weeks we can heal up.

The Marshall and GA St results are shocking honestly.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:07 am

I think the first 3 weeks show that you can't sleep on anyone. Goes for everyone not named Georgia.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:32 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:49 am

I completely agree. Marshall clearly suffered from major hangover. Maybe GSU as well, after playing toe to toe with UNC. App just barely avoided that trap, but I do think Troy is significantly better than either of those opponents.

We need to show up every single week. We have better depth than most in the SBC (my opinion) but we are already having to dip into it. This is going to be a very interesting season!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:34 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:49 am

Marshall did come off a huge win and we can relate to the emotional rollercoaster following a win like that. But Bowling Green has been utterly unimpressive so far this season. But I'd imagine that like Troy, BG was pumped and ready to be it's best self against the Herd.

GA State was a complete surprise to me. After playing up for UNC, the Panthers gave Vegas the finger and made the 49er's look much better on the field than they are in real life. But isn't this fairly consistent behavior for GAST under Elliott?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:36 am

Teams with new coaches... whether new HC, OC or DC now have 2 or 3 games of film. Take yesterday, and believe we only got one down field pass excluding the hail Mary if memory serves me correct...and our roll outs to TE were not a crisp as previous weeks...Teams now have film to use as prep.

and turnovers help. I believe the Herd had TOs yesterday.

It will be interesting to see how our IC and DC adjust now that teams have film on App. St. Troy was prepared. We now have to adjust.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:10 am

I will be extremely surprised when the conference championship rolls around if any team east or west goes undefeated in conference. May be 2 loss teams in both divisions in championship game.
This is the toughest we have seen this conference yet. 75% or better of conference can beat anyone on any given day.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:46 am

Yosefus wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:10 am
I will be extremely surprised when the conference championship rolls around if any team east or west goes undefeated in conference. May be 2 loss teams in both divisions in championship game.
This is the toughest we have seen this conference yet. 75% or better of conference can beat anyone on any given day.
I would not be surprised if the SBC champ even has 2 conference losses. Appear to be only 2 teams that just won't have a shot to compete at top and that is ULM and Texas State.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:23 am

UL losing to Rice was just as bad. Rice has been in the bottom 10 of FBS since we joined the league. Worse than losing to CLT, but not as bad as to BG.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”